[Incomplete] Windows 2003 Server Games ~2/9/2006~

Windows Server 2003 Update Pack discussion.
DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

[Incomplete] Windows 2003 Server Games ~2/9/2006~

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:02 pm

Ok, I don't know where they come from, my belief is from Microsoft, but if they are yours and you don't want them packaged this way, please let me know. I've had them for a long time back when they were first released, so I don't know where they come from exactly. From the installer file:

Code: Select all

Includes Freecell, Hearts, Minesweeper, Pinball, Solitaire, and Spider Solitaire games.
As an update to this file there are several things you should know, the files included in this pack will not completely work correctly for some reason, and I've grown disinterested in fixing it further, first of all.
Secondly, if you read the rest of the thread below, you'll see that this pack is also kept over at msfn, and the link is also provided below, in a tutorial about modifying Server 2003 to be a workstation like XP, it's my belief after all day working on it to get it to work, that you may need to have converted your disk prior to this working.

What I got so far is that it will copy all the files over to your hdd, the problem lies in that games.inf for some reason isn't copying over and none of it is actually started like it's supposed to, but you can find the stuff in your Add/Remove Windows Components section. Once you install it from there it's not showing up in the Start Menu nor the Program Files folder where it is on XP. If you want to take this up, feel free to, I'm not continuing with it, and if a moderator wants to remove this thread entirely, feel free to, as I'm no longer going to worry about this add-on, sorry for wasting space releasing it, I thought it actually worked, I guess that's what I get for thinking again. :?

http://http://www9.rapidupload.com/file ... joy or not
~3.23 MB (3,387,740 bytes)
Sha1: 02CA53487A37D5ECEB4B0D52F80EDFC3D744E4FF
MD5: C420B34D5857DDF2E977DDFD04DFC044
Last edited by DisabledTrucker on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:45 am

Have you tested this on 2003?

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:51 am

I don't have 2003 I just took and created the pack from instructions I found elsewhere. If you use it and it doesn't work, please let me know what I did wrong with it. ;)

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:22 am

It wont work the games are not on the 2003 disk the games are actually on a XP disk you would still need the XP disk.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:25 am

Oh, I thought the games were already on there, I'll remedy that then, will the ones from any version of XP work or do they have to be from SP2?

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:27 am

The ones from any windows XP disk will work fine.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:52 am

Okay, I'll see what I can do to add them in then, thanks ;)

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:59 pm

OKay it's been updated, see how that works now, if it doesn't maybe you can help me figure out what else is needed? Do you have a Windows XP disk? The original way was to run that with the XP disk in a drive apparently, this new way should eliminate the use of the Windiows XP disk, assuming it works now.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Yes I have the original XP disk and I will test this for you today....

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:31 pm

Thanks a lot, the files I took to create it come from XP Gold With SP2 slipstreamed, if that helps.

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:03 am

so u create addons for 2k3 but u dont test it at all???
that is very rude....
i help u with this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2 ... fault.mspx

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:15 am

I have a few different copies of Windows 2003 but I don't have it intalled on any of my systems, I thought that Kel was going to help me to debug this pack too. I had just taken what I had found stuffed into one of my old folders pertaining to Windows Server 2003 and created an install for it for the integrator, what I read about it in it's zip file said nothing about needing any other files, I wasn't even sure where I got the file from to begin with, and had hoped that if anyone really cared about this cab and it wasn't working correctly they would take it upon themselves to correct it and either get me to post their corrected version or remove this thread so they can start thier own with a corrected version in it. Neither of these scenerios are happening at this point though. :?

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:25 am

well it doesnt work. it broke the install and is cause u used the inf from xp cd without modify it to work for 2k3....

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:06 am

An inf from an XP CD? Can you provide me with further details as to what error your seeing so I can see if I can debug it? I know that there are a few calls to the XP CD's inf files but I'm not sure as to why I didn't pay attention to it when I grabbed the files, only that it called for them in the scripts that were included in it. The only thing I really did besides recently adding the files to it from the XP CD that are being called for, was to create the entries*.ini file for it, which uses the same directory codes for the files I added, as far as I can tell from what I looked at earlier. Admittadly I didn't compare both TXTSETUP.SIF files 100% earlier I only looked for specific folders, but those folder were exactly the same, therefore I assumed the calls should have been as well, but I'll go back and look again to make 100% sure, here in a minute.

Apparently, from what I can determine, the entire package can be found here now, minus the files I added for the actual games from the XP CD. Like I mentioned above, I'm not sure as to where I originally got this from so I'm wasn't really sure what it would do. I've had it since Server 2003 was first released though, is all I can remember about it.

EDIT: I just went and compared the two files, and apparently the same calls/directory codes between XP SP2 and Server 2003 are identical for TXTSETUP.SIF as far as placing things into INF and other major folders goes. There are some differences between the directory codes for Server 2003 and XP SP2 in that Server doesn't contain the codes for the other versions of XP and XP doesn't contain some of the server functionality codes. Outside that, I didn't see much difference in the two versions on that stand point, so I doubt it would have anything to do with the entries*.ini file, but I'll go back and check the code in that too again here in a min.
Last edited by DisabledTrucker on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:21 am

*sigh* boooggy, I think you're flogging a dead horse with this one hunny child. This guy is determined to flounder along with this abortion of an addon pack and suck all of you dry to sort it out for him because he doesn't know WTF he is doing himself and he never will until he can acknowledge the simple fact that things work a little differently on windows 2003 server and therefore addons for 2003 needed to be MADE AND TESTED on 2003. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Mrs Peel on Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:36 am

Wow. That runon just lost me halfway through. o_O

XP ≈ 03
XP ≠ 03
XP ≤ 03

;)

Seriously...The installer in 03 is quite a bit different. Especially if you slipstream SP1 into it. That's why I don't touch it. I've tried several times to get flash 8 to integrate with 03 and it didn't take. The LegitCheckControl worked though. It's wierd to say the least.

TEST IT! O_o
Do you have stairs in your house?

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:21 am

Okay just to suit everyone I went and loaded up Server 2003 specifically so I can work on this one for you all and to get it working. I've found my error now I'm trying to fix it, just give me a bit and I'll have it up again. Thanks for the replys though, they've been helpful thus far. Expect a fully working and tested release later today!

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:15 pm

As an update, I've decided to drop the ball on this add-on, if anyone else wants to take it over feel free to, I can't get it 100% working and I've lost interest in it as well, see above for what I've got thus far with it.