should Windows Server 2003 Pack inc IE7?

Windows Server 2003 Update Pack discussion.

Should IE7 be included in Win2k3 Pack?

Yes, IE6 is dead, long live IE7
38%
Yes, I suppose I going to have to get use to it eventually
24%
No, If i want it i will either integrat it myself or install it at a later date
20%
No, I have absolutely no intention to install IE7
12%
other...please elaborate in a post, thank you
6%

Total votes: 50

codejunkie

should Windows Server 2003 Pack inc IE7?

Post by codejunkie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:25 pm

I would like your options on this one, if you don't mind taking the time to answer.
Windows 2003 Update Pack - Current Version 1.3.8 (13 Oct 2006
Currently included more than 80 Updates aswell as extra programs and runtimes such as MSXML 2-6, Microsoft Update, Adobe Flash Player...etc
Based upon RyanVMs Windows XP PostSP2 Update Pack

codejunkie

Post by codejunkie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:10 pm

I personally only use IE for Windows/Microsoft Updates but unfortunately there are other programs that rely on WebBrowser controls, just like Steam from Valve Software.

I am sure there are many more programs out there utilizing this technique

Yes not everyone likes the new version of IE but if you don't want to be left behind as fare as security and customer support we'll all have to move on at some point.

I will be releasing several versions of my pack when I get the chance, I just need to know how high up on others priority list a integration pack with IE7 included is especial with the imitate arrival of SP2, it doesn't appear as if it will have IE7 included

I must apologize for not releasing any updates for such along time but my work for University has to take priority
Currently included more than 80 Updates aswell as extra programs and runtimes such as MSXML 2-6, Microsoft Update, Adobe Flash Player...etc

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:51 am

Most of the time, I use firefox, but i like my computer to be up to date, then i installed it. But I think that not all people want to update to ie7. We should wait sereral moths for seeing how ie7 breaks or handles things. Or wait all programs make compatibility updates for ie7.

You can make a compatible addon pack with your update pack, or make 2 packs. One contains ie6 updates, one contains ie7 and its updates. And what about an addon, did you try it?
I wonder if it creates error like in windows xp.

And, your university has higher priority. Pass your lessons quickly :wink:

bledd

Post by bledd » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:05 pm

was looking for an option..

"no, but i will create an extra addon that has ie7, so you can just add both to one install"

-big thanks for the pack

BZJoe

Post by BZJoe » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:42 am

I'll keep IE6 until I am forced by MS to move over to IE7...

I really hope you guys keep your packs IE7 free also...

the_guy

Post by the_guy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:07 pm

Why not just have the update pack with IE6 updates and make a special IE7 addon pack? Makes sense to me.

the_guy

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:30 pm

I will try my addon with w2k3 sp2, and inform you :wink:. I remember boooggy told its working.

Windows X

Post by Windows X » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:57 pm

No.

This is bug only few people will encounter.

If you install IE7 before registering user account to work in XP (Try XP Conversion Pack for easier), it will cause error dialog on load fail to use XP's user account control panel applet.
Everything that has the beginning, has an end.

Overkill

Post by Overkill » Sat May 05, 2007 2:15 am

IE7 is M$'s biggest flop ever. Create a separate addon pack for it maybe, but integrating it into a massive pack like this may very well create a rip in the space-time continuum. My users can't handle the changes brought by IE7, and I can't handle the support calls. Keep it separated from the main pack, please :D

codejunkie

Post by codejunkie » Sat May 05, 2007 10:32 am

LOL, fair enough.

Well for the time being my Windows Update Generator doesn't have the advanced capability's to ability integrate IE7.

I cant say I have had any problems with IE7 other than website using low encryption setting for SSL2 and SSL3 due to potential security risk it posses

I'm a Firefox user anyway, so I don't know how well Microsoft is supporting IE6 now IE7 is out, I have notice quite a few of my friends at Uni are still using IE6. I'm using Vista on my laptop (Stupid ACPI Lid drivers issue though...FIT IT Microsoft! exchanging the driver for Volume control is just wrong! even if it works!) I like IE7 but I cant be bothered trying to find addons for IE7 for CSS/XHTML/Link validation and general web development tool like the once for Firefox

I will be trying to bring up a test server of my WinUpdateGen online sometime soon now I have 2 weeks left at Uni WOW

I need to get my arse in gear and produce a new Post-SP1 pack and Post-SP2 pack too

I'm looking for help with my WinUpdateGen site as well PM if you can lend a helping hand

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:06 am

I know I am a bit late here, but I voted to keep IE6 as a separate optional install cos I am a web developer and I need to test all my sites on IE6 to make sure they are backward compatible.

I think that we should not integrate ANY of the M$ softwares into our update packs - just keep the basic security fixes and system file updates in them. If peeps want to update their "softwares" such as IE, OE, WMP, or add any of those useless little M$ apps such as Malicious Software Remover then it should be an OPTIONAL extra.

Please keep our system update packs purely as system packs and not add software or tweaks to them.

Cheers,
Mrs P

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:12 am

Personally, I do my IE6 site testing in a virtual machine these days.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:10 am

Ackkkk I don't have the time for that Ryan. I've been doing shitloads of PHP and CSS programming this last year and IE6 is always the problem browser where cross-browser issues show up so I'd be firing up VM a zillion times a day for the amount of time I spend trying to sort out crap with IE6 CSS hacks. As a general rule of thumb, if it will work OK in IE6 then it will work in other browser versions, so I tend to use it as my baseline.

God I hate IE grrrrrrrrrr. For every 5 hours I spend writing CSS code I usually have to spend another fookin hour stuffing around with CSS hacks to get it looking the same in IE. That's a huge overhead of extra time for every web job you have to do, I should send Bill Gate$ the bloody bill for all my extra work (((((snort)))))

:(

at0mic

Post by at0mic » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:57 pm

I've no desire to access the internet using a live production server in a corporate environment.

WinJunkie

Post by WinJunkie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:20 pm

I vote to keep it separate, IE8 should be out soon so most people will be moving onto that so theres really no point.

Also it was funny seeing FF as the most vulnerable app on windows.