5eraph's post-SP2 Update Pack v2017-06_2

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Update Pack discussion.
trippinferret

Post by trippinferret » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi 5eraph

Can't wait to try out your new updatepack, looks like you had your hands full making this one.
Worked perfectly, as always up to your very high standards

Thanks for all the hard work.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:32 am

Hmm, just tried to integrate latest update pack, getting some invalid signature error while installing XP x64...

Setup copies files, reboot, just after continuing install:
Fatal error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing.

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Press OK to view the setup log file.
OK...
Error:

The signature for Windows XP Professional Setup is invalid. The error code is 57.

The parameter is incorrect.

Fatal error:

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Gonna try reintegrating the addon, see if that helps.
Note: I also integrated the IE8 addon, maybe the problem is in there?

edit: tried again twice, and also without IE8, still getting the error.
Last edited by bartgrefte on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:06 pm

I haven't seen that error with my update pack before. I need more information:
  1. What type of installation are you trying: Clean, Repair or Upgrade? When Googling I see instances with that error during repair or upgrade installations when Windows cannot delete all of the preexisting files in the CatRoot2 folder. I should mention that I've only tested using the clean installation method.
  2. What did you use to integrate the update pack: nLite or RVMi? If nLite, please send me a copy of "Last Session.ini".
The answers to those two questions should do for now.
Last edited by 5eraph on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Clean installation, unattended.

nLite.
[Main]
Env = 1.4.9.1 - 2.0.50727.1433.Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Target = Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2 - 5.2.3790.3959 - English (United States)

[Tasks]
Hotfixes and Update Packs

[Components]
;# Compatibiliteit #

[KeepFiles]
msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]
clock.avi
yahoo.bmp
swtchbrd.bmp

[Options]
ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"
TargetPath = "WINDOWS"
temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

[Patches]

[Services2]

[Tweaks]

[Unattended]
ComputerType = Automatisch
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12
RestorePointLife = 30
DesktopTheme = Standaard||
AutoUDay = 5
AutoUHour = 15
ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"

[NetAdapter1]
connname = ""
macaddress = ""
ipaddress = "192.168.0.1"
subnetmask = "255.255.255.0"
defaultgateway = ""
dnsserver1 = ""
dnsserver2 = ""
winsserver = ""
netbiossetting = "0"
ipxnetworknumber = "00000000"
ipxnetworkframetype = "0xFF"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]

[Hotfixes]
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Bureaublad\5er_UpdatePack_XPx64SP2_2009-10_1.7z
ps, Getting lot's of "500 internal server error" error's here on the forum since about 10min.
"Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:19 pm

I'm noticing that you did not "Create a Bootable ISO" in the same session when integrating the update pack.
  1. Are you nLiting the same source more than once?
  2. What program do you use to create the ISO?
  3. Are you doing anything else to the source before creating the ISO?

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:37 pm

1. If you mean, are there already some updates integrated, then yes.
Gonna try a clean XP x64 SP2 cd now. Only thing done to that is that it's unattended, nothing more.

2. Used Nero while back to create the ISO, and use MagicISO to replace the content of the ISO so I don't have to recreate the ISO everytime with Nero. That has worked perfect (with XP Prof x86), till now that is if that has something to do with it.

3. It's unattended (with winnt.sif), created a $OEM$ folder with a batchfile in it that get's copied to the harddrive and started (by the winnt.sif) from there during 1st boot after installing. It installs programs silently, puts some registry keys in registry to change some Windows settings.

While typing this, I've let nLite integrate this and the IE8 addon in the clean source, and that seems to have worked. Installation just past the moment (T-39min.) of the error.
I'll keep you posted ;)

edit: different error, at T-13:
c:\windows\system32\grpconv.exe
windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item.

edit2: repacked the ISO, still the error, after clicking OK it continues installing. After installing I see the grey/classic taskbar instead of the modern one. Rightclick on desktop: "control panel, windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item...."

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:35 pm

Neither the update pack nor the IE8 addon deal with GrpConv.exe. Is that the only file Windows complains about?

The taskbar/theme problem is likely to be directly related with the previous problem. If we solve the first, the second will probably disappear.

tomidis

Post by tomidis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:57 pm

bartgrefte wrote:edit: different error, at T-13:
c:\windows\system32\grpconv.exe
windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item.

edit2: repacked the ISO, still the error, after clicking OK it continues installing. After installing I see the grey/classic taskbar instead of the modern one. Rightclick on desktop: "control panel, windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item...."
bartgrefte, do you had some other update pack used besides 5eraph's?
I had the same problem like you
I was modifing Windows Live Messenger x86 addon to work on x64 xp but I forget to change integration unpack dir from I386 to AMD64 so Windows did'n find required files when registering them at T-13 and that caused errors like yours (5eraph helped me to solve that :) )
I didn't have time yet to test 5eraph's update pack, but when I test it, I'll post result here (I'm also using nlite)
5eraph wrote:The taskbar/theme problem is likely to be directly related with the previous problem. If we solve the first, the second will probably disappear.
5eraph, I confirm this from my experience

Passion

Post by Passion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:04 pm

bartgrefte wrote:Env = 1.4.9.1 - 2.0.50727.1433.Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Target = Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2 - 5.2.3790.3959 - English (United States)
Perhaps the problem is that you're running nLite in an x86 environment, instead of in the native one (x64).. I've had several weird errors appear in my isos when I tried that.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:24 pm

Would it be that simple?
But if x64 apps/addons can't run/work under a 32bits OS, then nLite would have started giving errors, shouldn't it?

Gonna try again tomorrow, but then integrate the addons in XP x64, gone to bed now.
5eraph wrote:Neither the update pack nor the IE8 addon deal with GrpConv.exe. Is that the only file Windows complains about?

The taskbar/theme problem is likely to be directly related with the previous problem. If we solve the first, the second will probably disappear.
Okay. Yeah that's the only one, during installation.
Besides trying to open display properties and getting that other error I didn't try anything.

Earlier this evening, before I got sidetracked by D.I. Frost :P, I tried the clean SP2 cd, just to be sure it works, it did :).
Then with only the post sp2 update pack, no IE8.
That seems to work, at first glance...

Well, a lot went wrong apparently, see these 2 screenshots:
clean SP2 install: http://www.ravenslair.nl/plaatjes/xp_x64_sp2_clean.jpg
with the post SP2 updatepack: http://www.ravenslair.nl/plaatjes/xp_x6 ... tepack.jpg
Besides the obvious differences, IE/WinUpdate shortcuts don't work. No error, just nothing happening. The IE executable is there and working, checked that.
tomidis wrote:bartgrefte, do you had some other update pack used besides 5eraph's?
I had the same problem like you
I was modifing Windows Live Messenger x86 addon to work on x64 xp but I forget to change integration unpack dir from I386 to AMD64 so Windows did'n find required files when registering them at T-13 and that caused errors like yours (5eraph helped me to solve that :) )
I didn't have time yet to test 5eraph's update pack, but when I test it, I'll post result here (I'm also using nlite)
Not in the clean XP x64 SP2 cd I tried last.

DaRk MaDnEsS

Post by DaRk MaDnEsS » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:47 pm

Passion wrote:
bartgrefte wrote:Env = 1.4.9.1 - 2.0.50727.1433.Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Perhaps the problem is that you're running nLite in an x86 environment, instead of in the native one (x64).. I've had several weird errors appear in my isos when I tried that.
well it doesn't matter if i wasn't mistaken

cause the tool works this way

if the target is 64 added files to AMD64

else I386

so it shouldn't matter

and also nlite doesn't use anything from the running os (nothin i know)

beats

Post by beats » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:00 pm

Just use RVM Integrator 1.6.1 beta 2.1, it's a much cleaner solution. 8)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:03 pm

bartgrefte wrote:[...] if x64 apps/addons can't run/work under a 32bits OS, then nLite would have started giving errors, shouldn't it?
As far as I know, nLite should only have difficulty with an x64 source in a 32-bit environment when slipstreaming a service pack, and possibly when slipstreaming individual updates depending on how it unpacks those packages. I haven't tried it, though. Update packs and addons, regardless of how they're built, should be preprocessed and easily handled in either environment. They're simple archives.

But I must agree with beats. RVMi is ideal for testing update packs and addons alone. nLite's many options and source edits can complicate matters. And RVMi can be used more than once on the same source, unlike nLite.

To help further, bartgrefte, I need to be able to reproduce the problem on my end. Can you give me a step-by-step guide to produce the same result? From clean source to ISO creation. Leave nothing out.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:00 am

Well, same grpconv.exe at T-13 issue when the source was updated with post SP2 and IE8 pack while running a x64 OS.

Gonna try RVM Integrator if someone can give me a direct download link where I don't have to register for ;)
edit: found it.

If that doesn't work either, gonna write down exactly what I did, okay?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:13 am

Ok. :)

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:50 am

Ah damn, RVMI same problem...

As for the step by step:
1. Made an ISO with Nero with this howto: http://www.technipages.com/how-to-slips ... ack-2.html

2. Integrated SP2 with the help of the /integrate switch, after I downloaded the full/offline SP2 installer, in a clean XP x64 cd.

3. Used the deployment tools to make it unattended, with the help of this howto: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.x ... 59a995cac/
Winnt.sif file is in the AMD64 folder and works.

Code: Select all

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
    AutoPartition=0
    MsDosInitiated="0"
    UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
    FileSystem=*
    UnattendMode=FullUnattended
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    OemPreinstall=No
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
    DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
    NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword=*
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=110
    OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
    ProductKey=*****-*****-*****-*****-*****
    FullName="firstname lastname"
    OrgName=""
    ComputerName=computername

[Display]
    Xresolution=800
    YResolution=600

[Identification]
    JoinWorkgroup=MSHOME

[Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes
4. Integrated this and the IE8 addon with nLite, also tried RVMI.

5. Used MagicISO to put the modified files in the ISO.
Yes, I deleted the old ones first ;)
edit: just now I used Nero again to (re)create the image, to rule magiciso out, same problem.

6. Then I installed it.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:37 pm

In my opinion, you're making things more difficult by messing with ISOs. May I suggest skipping step 1 entirely. It's not necessary at all.

Skip step 2. RVMi v1.6 and later will automatically slipstream SP2 if needed. It will ask for the offline SP2 installer when necessary.

Step 3 looks good. Just use your existing WinNT.sif file.

Use RVMi for step 4. Integrate only the update pack. We will try IE8 later.

Step 5: Do not use MagicISO this time. Use RVMi to create an ISO. It is much simpler and probably more reliable.

To summarize, try the following procedure:
  1. Copy your clean, untouched source files to a new directory on your hard drive.
  2. Copy your WinNT.sif file to AMD64.
  3. Use RVMi to integrate only the update pack.
    • If prompted, point RVMi to your offline SP2 installer.
  4. When integration finishes, use the "Make ISO" tab in RVMi:
    1. Leave the top field empty. RVMi will use the most recently processed source.
    2. Browse to the folder where you'd like the ISO created and type a name for the ISO file.
    3. Use Internal mkisofs (Recommended), Mkisofs Parameters (Recommended).
    4. Type a volume label.
    5. Click Make.
  5. Test the ISO in VMware.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:04 pm

While trying you're way, I get this as error after selecting the offline installer of SP2 and it's unpacked:
"The service pack level of the source is the same as it was before integration began. Make sure you have the proper access rights to the folder you're attempting to slipstream to."

edit: this time it was necessary to run a x64 OS. SP2 is now being integrated by RVMI.

edit2: still no go. Those 2 screenshots I posted few posts back? Same as now.

DaRk MaDnEsS

Post by DaRk MaDnEsS » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:07 pm

bartgrefte wrote:While trying you're way, I get this as error after selecting the offline installer of SP2 and it's unpacked:
"The service pack level of the source is the same as it was before integration began. Make sure you have the proper access rights to the folder you're attempting to slipstream to."

edit: this time it was necessary to run a x64 OS. SP2 is now being integrated by RVMI.

edit2: still no go. Those 2 screenshots I posted few posts back? Same as now.
see this http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6719

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:12 pm

I integrated SP2 in a 64bit environment, that seemed to have worked.
At system properties it says SP2, so that's good.
But still have the same problem as I just said ;)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:55 am

I still can't reproduce your error, bartgrefte. I suspect that something may be wrong with your original source files. Do you have an application to create and compare SFV/MD5 files? If not, I'd recommend QuickSFV.
  1. Copy your clean, untouched source files to a new directory on your hard drive.
  2. Slipstream only SP2 using whatever method you'd like. For simplicity, I'd still recommend using RVMi or nLite. The following directions are for RVMi:
    1. Open RVMi in an x64 environment.
    2. In the File menu, select "SlipStream ServicePack".
    3. Choose Yes and follow the instructions.
    4. Put this source in a safe place. To save yourself some time, this can be your clean starting point for future attempts with RVMi and nLite.
  3. Download the following MD5 file and place it at the root of your clean SP2 source (outside AMD64 and I386).
  4. Open the MD5 file using your SFV/MD5 application to compare your files to mine. If using QuickSFV, just double-click the MD5 file. :)
  5. Post a list of the mismatched files, if any. To sort the list in QuickSFV, click the top of the Status column until the mismatched files are displayed.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:25 am

First off, let someone pleace check the webserver of this forum, getting this a little bit to often now:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@ryanvm.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
(My laptops F5 button is getting worn down....)

Second, it just got a lot weirder... All files are OK.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:12 pm

The webserver problem is a known issue.

I'm at a loss. You're booting from the disc, not doing anything involving WinPE or installing from a command prompt, right? I'm not familiar with those scenarios.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:41 am

Okay.

Me too. Just booting from the disc, no WinPE or command prompt involved.

tomidis

Post by tomidis » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:01 am

Just tested new installation
source: win xp x64 with sp2
WMP11 integrated with boooggy's wmp 11 slipstreamer
addons integrated with nlite: 5eraph's update pack, IE8 addon, WLM addon
svcpack: redxii DirectX addon
runonce: HJW's .NET Framework ENU-x64

and everything works without errors :D

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:54 am

Well, since I can't seem to use this updatepack (the IE8 addon did work btw :) ), I've downloaded all remaining updates and integrated them with nLite.
Besided a few that wouldn't integrate, but do install silently during 1st boot, that went okay.

Anyway, (offtopic...) does anyone have a nlite addon with the Windows-/MS-/Catalog-Update ActiveX plugins?
Got one, but that only works with XP x86...

Passion

Post by Passion » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:59 am

tomidis wrote:Just tested new installation
source: win xp x64 with sp2
WMP11 integrated with boooggy's wmp 11 slipstreamer
addons integrated with nlite: 5eraph's update pack, IE8 addon, WLM addon
svcpack: redxii DirectX addon
runonce: HJW's .NET Framework ENU-x64
Why do you run the DirectX addon separately? I've never had a problem adding it with RVMI as an addon.

Have you tested WMP11 in IE (and Firefox)? I seem to get problems with it if I don't integrate WMP separately as the last step (so after nLite/rvmi) prior to creating the iso.

tomidis

Post by tomidis » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:25 am

Passion wrote:Why do you run the DirectX addon separately? I've never had a problem adding it with RVMI as an addon.
DirectX addon is not true addon, it's switchless installer and nlite adds it to svcpack, so it's the same thing if I add it manually to svcpack folder and svcpack.inf or add it using nlite
Passion wrote:Have you tested WMP11 in IE (and Firefox)? I seem to get problems with it if I don't integrate WMP separately as the last step (so after nLite/rvmi) prior to creating the iso.
Yes, I've tested WMP11 and IE8, both working without problems.
I'm integrating WMP11 first, and then update pack and IE8 with nlite

Passion

Post by Passion » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:53 pm

tomidis wrote:
Passion wrote:Why do you run the DirectX addon separately? I've never had a problem adding it with RVMI as an addon.
DirectX addon is not true addon, it's switchless installer and nlite adds it to svcpack, so it's the same thing if I add it manually to svcpack folder and svcpack.inf or add it using nlite
So the question remains:
Why would you prefer manually adding it over letting RVMI or nLite doing it for you? This one is intended as an addon, not a silent installer, hence the 7z extension.

tomidis

Post by tomidis » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Passion wrote:So the question remains:
Why would you prefer manually adding it over letting RVMI or nLite doing it for you? This one is intended as an addon, not a silent installer, hence the 7z extension.
You're right, don't know why I'm doing it myself :rolleyes:
I have some KB updates (besides xp update pack) that nlite won't integrate
nlite first unpacks them in AMD64 or I386 and yet puts them in svcpack
unnecessarily unpacking to AMD64 or I386 increases iso size
that's why I have one folder with all svcpack updates
so I also put directx unpacked in it :rolleyes:

beats

Post by beats » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:12 pm

About increasing ISO size, there is a very good reason why the DirectX addon is in fact a SFX instead of a true addon.

tomidis

Post by tomidis » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:01 am

@beats
I'm using redxii directx addon and didn't quite understand your post
I have folder with svcpack hotfixes because of KB hotfixes, not directx addon
nlite first unpacks KB hotfixes to AMD64/I386 and then if it decides that hotfix cannot be directly integrated, then it puts KB hotfix installer directly in svcpack folder and svcpack.inf, but unpacked files remains in AMD64/I386
So, hotfixes that cannot be directly integrated are runned from svcpack @ T-13 and there is no need to be left unpacked in AMD64/I386 thus increasing size of final iso
redxii directx addon nlite doesn't unpack to AMD64/I386, but I add it manually to svcpack because then I can define their order in svcpack.inf

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Updated to 2009-10_2. Please read the Changelog for full details. :)

This is mostly a maintenance release. Expect another update within one week. ;)

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:04 am

Just tried it (2009-10_2), hoping that one does work here, but same problem as previous one...

Here is the log of my last attempt, not sure if there is something in there that might explain my problem:

Code: Select all

2009-11-09_15.12.55
Log Startup @ 15:12:55 local time, on November 09, 2009.

Running OS: WIN_XP Service Pack 3 X86
RVMIntegrator v1.6

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$EX00.907\RVM_Integrator_1.6.exe" 

15:13:19  - 
15:13:19  - Source Drive         = D:\windows xp 64b\Kopie van XP64sp2-UA
15:13:19  - Destination Drive    = D:\windows xp 64b\Kopie van XP64sp2-UA
15:13:19  - Destination Size     = 59.59 GB
15:13:19  - Working Directory    = D:\windows xp 64b\Kopie van XP64sp2-UA\AMD64
15:13:19  - Temp Directory       = D:\windows xp 64b\Kopie van XP64sp2-UA\AMD64\rvmtemp
15:13:19  - Starting Integration
15:13:19  - Checking Destination For OS Type.
15:13:19  - English - Windows XP Professional x64 - Corporate SP2 Found
15:13:19  - Extracting 5er_UpdatePack_XPx64SP2_2009-10_2.7z
15:13:48  -     MD5 Hash = 2d2a83579cc8403343547a8d129af5b3
15:13:48  - Clearing any Read Only Attributes.
15:13:49  - 
15:13:49  - Gathering temp files
15:13:49  - Expanding driver32.cab
15:13:50  -     CabLite.dll::CabExtract reports completion [code=0000000F]
15:13:50  - Expanding driver.cab
15:14:18  -     CabLite.dll::CabExtractAsync reports completion [code=00001060]
15:14:18  - Expanding SP2.cab
15:14:20  -     CabLite.dll::CabExtractAsync reports completion [code=000000A1]
15:14:21  - Copying/Moving files to driver.cab
15:14:22  - Compressing Files
15:14:48  - Processing new .CAT files found in SVCPACK
15:15:01  - 
15:15:01  - Shifting Stuff Around
15:15:01  - Shifting x64_I386 Specific Files
15:16:16  - 275  Files Moved in 75 Seconds
15:19:09  - 686  Files Moved in 172 Seconds
15:19:09  - Analyzing 1 Entry Files
15:19:09  - Processing 5eraph's Update Pack v2009-10_2   Build Date: 2009/11/08
15:19:09  -     Gathering Sysoc Entries
15:19:09  -     Gathering Entries for obsolete Cats
15:19:09  -     Gathering Dosnet.inf [Files] Entries
15:19:10  -     Gathering txtsetup.sif [SourceDisksFiles] and [WinntDirectories] Entries
15:19:11  -     Gathering obsolete_files Entries
15:19:11  -     Gathering ExtraFileEdits Entries
15:19:11  - 
15:19:11  - Preparing System Files...
15:19:11  -   sysoc.inf
15:19:11  -   svcpack.inf
15:19:11  -   dosnet.inf
15:19:13  -   txtsetup.sif
15:19:30  - 
15:19:30  - Processing obsolete_files
15:19:31  - Processing ExtraFileEdits
15:19:38  - Processing Sysoc.inf
15:19:38  -     Adding Components
15:19:38  - Processing svcpack.inf
15:19:38  -     removing obsolete hotfixes
15:19:38  - Processing dosnet.inf
15:19:38  -     Modifying any SP?.cab areas in dosnet.inf
15:19:39  -     Editing [Files]
15:20:03  - Processing txtsetup.sif
15:20:03  -     Editing [WinntDirectories]
15:20:17  -     Editing [SourceDisksFiles]
15:20:49  -     Modifying any SP?.cab areas in txtsetup.sif
15:21:24  - 
15:21:24  -       Compressing Files ASMS...
15:21:30  - 
15:21:30  - Processing [EditFile]
15:21:31  - Entire .ini Processing Completed in 141 Seconds
15:21:31  - 
15:21:31  - Compressing and Moving Edited Files
15:21:31  - No mmssetup.cab Found. Skipping Messenger.
15:21:31  - Copying Files Found In 5eraph's Update Pack
15:21:31  - Moving Files Found In 5eraph's Update Pack
15:21:31  - Deleting Files Found In 5eraph's Update Pack
15:21:32  - 
15:21:32  - Rebuilding driver.cab
15:25:18  - Compressed 4207 files into driver.cab [code=106F0001]
15:25:18  - 
15:25:18  - Rebuilding drvindex.inf
15:25:18  - Rebuilding drvindex.inf Complete.
15:25:18  - 
15:25:18  - Moving Files
15:25:18  - Replacing driver.cab
15:25:19  - 
15:25:19  - Rebuilding driver32.cab
15:25:20  - Compressed 15 files into driver32.cab [code=000F0001]
15:25:20  - 
15:25:21  - Cleaning Up.
15:25:21  - Integration Completed.
15:25:21  - Total Integration Time = 722 Seconds
15:25:21  - ==================================================================================
15:25:21  - 
edit:
Got a PM from someone who adviced me to try a different source. Downloaded one, through the usual channels, and it has exactly the same problem.
Note to 5eraph: that one didn't 100% match the md5 I got, these didn't match:
AMD64\OEMBIOS.SI_
AMD64\OEMBIOS.DA_
AMD64\OEMBIOS.CA_
AMD64\OEMBIOS.BI_
AMD64\MDMSSYS.IN_
AMD64\EULA.TXT
AMD64\DRIVER.CAB

edit2: RVMI 1.6.1b2.1 instead of 1.6 doesn't make a difference.

Edit3: Now we are getting somewhere. I just checked the event log and it showed that setup encountered non-fatal errors during installation and that it put those in setuperr.log:
http://www.ravenslair.nl/files/setup_error_log.txt

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:52 pm

I'm still stumped, bartgrefte.

The log file you've posted above gave me a few more things to try:
  • Used the Integrator on an x64 source in an x86 environment.
  • Ran the integrator from within an archive, without first extracting it.
  • Used paths with spaces for the source and update pack.
  • Done all of the above in the same session, created an ISO, and tested it in VMware.
I just can't seem to break it.

I've looked through your SetupErr.log and sorted the problematic files:
  • Files updated by the update pack:
    • eventcls.dll, userenv.dll, vdswmi.dll, wuau.adm
    • wupnphost.dll
    Files not updated by the update pack:
    • activeds.dll, appmgr.dll, CmdEvTgProv.dll, dgnet.dll, gpedit.dll, mofcomp.exe, scrptutl.dll, srchui.dll, vsswmi.dll
    • wactiveds.dll, wappmgr.dll, wdgnet.dll, wgpedit.dll, wscrptutl.dll
The following error may indicate that a problem exists with the source or destination media (CD or hard disk):
Error:
Setup could not copy one or more files. The specific error code is 0x490.
Are you testing in a virtual machine or on a live system? If the former, which VM software are you using? If the latter, is your system overclocked?

I've sent you a PM. Hopefully I'll be able to reproduce this problem soon and help figure this out.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:38 am

Tried both a virtual machine (VMWare Workstation 6.5.1 build 126130) and a real computer, the computer is not overclocked.

Just now I checked the error log on the install (I did earlier) on the real computer, same errors.

Problem with source, we ruled that out did we? With that md5 file.
Unless it's going wrong while integrating.
Harddisk... doubt it, since both VMWare and a real computer (which is not the host btw) give the same errors.

And uhm, you are not gonna believe this.
I just tried one more thing, deleting the winnt.sif file...... I haven't got a clue why, but I'm now looking at a succesfull and working installation with only 7 updates to go at MSUpdate:
- KB974455 (for IE6);
- IE8;
- security update for XP x64 (KB938127);
- MS .net framework 3.5 sp1 and .net framework 3.5 family update (KB951847);
- Windows Search 4.0;
- WMP11;
- MS Silverlight (KB974331).
(That's correct I hope? Same with you?)

Gonna try with IE8 and WMP11 next.

DaRk MaDnEsS

Post by DaRk MaDnEsS » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:57 am

bartgrefte wrote:Tried both a virtual machine (VMWare Workstation 6.5.1 build 126130) and a real computer, the computer is not overclocked.

Just now I checked the error log on the install (I did earlier) on the real computer, same errors.

Problem with source, we ruled that out did we? With that md5 file.
Unless it's going wrong while integrating.
Harddisk... doubt it, since both VMWare and a real computer (which is not the host btw) give the same errors.

And uhm, you are not gonna believe this.
I just tried one more thing, deleting the winnt.sif file...... I haven't got a clue why, but I'm now looking at a succesfull and working installation with only 7 updates to go at MSUpdate:
- KB974455 (for IE6);
- IE8;
- Windows Search 4.0;
- WMP11;

Gonna try with IE8 and WMP11 next.
hmm :lol: the winnt.sif did all that ?

can you type what was writing in it

i wanna see what have been getting this down

it seems an error i would like to see

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:23 am

Guess it did...

See post Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:50 pm on this page.

Atm trying to install with IE8 integrated, that gave an error during installation before, something with grpconv.exe (see earlier posts of me on this page).

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:32 am

bartgrefte wrote:And uhm, you are not gonna believe this.
- KB974455 (for IE6);
- IE8;
- Windows Search 4.0;
- WMP11;
Those are the updates I'd expect, at least until five hours from now when Microsoft releases three more for us. ;)

I wouldn't have guessed the WinNT.sif file was to blame. I'm shocked.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:43 am

'kay :)

No, me neither...

ps. down to 4 updates, IE8 addon works :D. Guess that problem was caused by the other problem(?).

Btw, is there a recent (emphasys on recent) framework addon/silentinstall pack?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:51 am

That's my guess as well.

The only .NET silent installer for x64 is probably in need of updating. I can make simple SIs. .NET is a bit too complicated for me.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:55 am

'kay.

That's why I asked :P
If you would ;) , just an all-in-one SI-pack, no need for T-13 type of install.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:11 am

I'll consider an attempt at it. But I don't think I'll be able to get to it anytime soon. :(

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:00 am

:)

Take you're time ;

edit: found someone with similar problem: http://www.msfn.org/board/winnt-sif-pro ... 63844.html
posted my, uhm, situation there.

edit2: WMP11 works too :)
And just appeared: malicious software removal tool november update. Other than that, nothing new.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:17 pm

Updated to 2009-11_1. Please read the Changelog for full details.

mark strelecki

MANY THANKS FROM ATLANTA GA.

Post by mark strelecki » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:33 pm

I dunno HOW you do it SO FAST, but here is One Thankful User telling you how much your efforts and knowledge mean to me. Wow! Consider yourself hugged in a purely technical, PLATONIC way.

From a BIG fan in Atlanta, GA.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:54 pm

You're welcome. :)

There wasn't much to add today. And I had help hunting hotfixes. Eleven of today's were suggested by tomidis last week, but I needed to work on the daylight savings issue before I could properly research and add them.

This should be the last lightning release until Microsoft's mid-cycle release date, November 24th.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:57 am

5eraph, at the msfn board someone mentioned I should change UnattendMode = FullUnattended to UnattendMode = DefaultHide, did that, and got two security alerts (at T-29 and T-22) about not digitally signed drivers.

edit: after clicking yes on both, installation works :).
Now to get rid of those security alerts, but how. Already had an ignore option for that in the winnt.sif but that doesn't work?.

tomidis

Post by tomidis » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:42 am

bartgrefte, now I remember, I was getting also those driversigning alerts and didn't get rid of them at all, but I was then long time ago used as source Windows XP Professional N (32-bit) (this "N" means without Windows Media Player) so after that I switched to regular XP and never had that driver signing warnings again.

bartgrefte

Post by bartgrefte » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:49 am

But this is xp x64 (with WMP), not x86/32bits...

Anyway, changing UnattendMode = FullUnattended to UnattendMode = DefaultHide helpt, it showed the alerts so showed what went wrong, but the other errors from that log I posted earlier where already gone?!.
Then removed NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore that was beneath DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore in the winnt.sif, now I've got a working unattended install :D

But I still like to know what caused those two alerts, so running sigverif.
edit: all systemfiles are signed?