Integrating the service packs themselves

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Update Pack discussion.
Post Reply
oao
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Integrating the service packs themselves

Post by oao » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Does the integrator patch xp64 from a 32 OS?

Is it possible to use the integrator to patch service pack 2 itself into xp64, prior to applying the fixes?

I was going to nLite SP2 into xp64 then use integrator to add the post-sp2 fixes, but nLite works on xp64 only from a 64 OS (which does not make sense), so I wonder if I could use integrator in a 32 OS to apply both SP2 and the fixes.

thanks.

User avatar
5eraph
Site Admin
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:38 pm
Location: Riverview, MI USA

Post by 5eraph » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:51 pm

Both nLite and the Integrator use commandline switches to slipstream x64 SP2 into a source. Microsoft's SP2 package is an x64 application, which requires an x64 environment to execute.

However, integrating the Update Pack can be done from within an x86 environment because the process does not require running an x64 executable. :)

EDIT: For those reading along, a parallel discussion started by oao can be found on MSFN.

oao
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Post by oao » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:58 pm

I want to make sure I understand you: when you say "integrating an Update Pack can be done from within an x86 environment" what do you mean? What is the difference between slipstreaming and integrating?

The command line slipstreaming chokes on UPDATE. EXE, which is a x64 program that cannot run in x86. So how can I apply SP2 in x86 without slipstreaming and using UPDATE.EXE?

Somebody has suggested the following:

I figured out how to slipstream SP2 for an x64 XP CD fileset while from 32bit Windows. Download the Windows2003 SP2 32bit version (WindowsServer2003-KB914961-SP2-x86-ENU) and the x64 SP2 (WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU) files from MS. Extract them both with your favorite compatible file archive util ( I used Uniextractor ). Copy the binary files (dll/exe/msi) from the 32bit version's 'update' folder into the 'update' folder on the 64bit version. I used nlite 1.3.5 to do the integration but I suspect the appropriate commandline execution of 'update.exe' would also work.

By integration I assume he meant slipstreaming with nLite?

User avatar
5eraph
Site Admin
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:38 pm
Location: Riverview, MI USA

Post by 5eraph » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:54 am

I had assumed you plan to use the Integrator to slipstream SP2 and then the Update Pack. Slipstreaming and integrating are essentially the same thing. We use the terms interchangeably here.

I'm not entirely sure what TranceEnergy meant at the end there:
TranceEnergy wrote:I used nlite 1.3.5 to do the integration but I suspect the appropriate commandline execution of 'update.exe' would also work.
I don't know if nLite can handle an altered service pack as he seems to describe. Personally, I don't even know if an altered service pack will work manually from the command line either. I slipstreamed SP2 into XP x64 while using Vista x64 RC1. I've been using the same XP x64 SP2 source ever since.

oao
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Post by oao » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:47 am

<i>I had assumed you plan to use the Integrator to slipstream SP2 and then the Update Pack.</i>

Indeed. But I don't know how to use it to integrate SP2 itself in x86 and when I asked I was told "not by normal methods" without elaboration (see MSFN thread)

<i>I'm not entirely sure what TranceEnergy meant at the end there:
"I used nlite 1.3.5 to do the integration but I suspect the appropriate commandline execution of 'update.exe' would also work." I don't know if nLite can handle an altered service pack as he seems to describe. Personally, I don't even know if an altered service pack will work manually from the command line either.</i>

Me neither (see my reply on MSFN). I was trying to figure out what he did and had a problem: I thought that he replaced the update binaries of the x64 SP2 with those of the x86, thus preventing the x86 from choking on the x64 UPDATE.EXE. However, to do that he had to extract the contents from both SP2 archives and replace the binaries in the EXTRACTED folder!!!! But then he would have to pack the revised contents back into the original x64 SP2 EXE archives and he does not mention that he did that or how. And extracted content does not work the same as the EXE archive.

<i>I slipstreamed SP2 into XP x64 while using Vista x64 RC1. I've been using the same XP x64 SP2 source ever since.</i>

That's straightforward, but impractical in my situation. I just bougth an Athlon 64 laptop that came with Vista 32. I got a MS upgrade pack which contains both 32 and 64 versions of XP. So I would like to install the x64 version on it, keeping the x86 version for another computer. With your method I would have to install the full x64 version just to slipstream SP2 and use the integrator, then reinstall the slipstreamed CD. And the full version may not even work properly without the SP, hotfixes and drivers to allow the slipstreaming in the first place.

So that brings us back to the original question: how do I use Integrator to slipstream the SP2 and hotfixes into a x64 source from an x86 OS?

User avatar
5eraph
Site Admin
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:38 pm
Location: Riverview, MI USA

Post by 5eraph » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:40 am

oao wrote:But then he would have to pack the revised contents back into the original x64 SP2 EXE archives and he does not mention that he did that or how. And extracted content does not work the same as the EXE archive.
No, you don't need to recompress it. If you navigate to the update folder and run the following command it should work just as if it were the compressed EXE. This was how SP1 was supposed to be slipstreamed for 32-bit XP way back in 2002.

Code: Select all

update.exe /integrate:<sourcepath>
oao wrote:
5eraph wrote:I slipstreamed SP2 into XP x64 while using Vista x64 RC1. I've been using the same XP x64 SP2 source ever since.
That's straightforward, but impractical in my situation... With your method I would have to install the full x64 version just to slipstream SP2 and use the integrator, then reinstall the slipstreamed CD.
You could install XP x64 SP1 in a virtual machine, transfer your source files and the SP2 network installer, then slipstream it and transfer it back to the host computer. It seems complicated, but once you've tested in virtual machines often enough the process becomes easy. No drivers or hotfixes necessary. :)

oao
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Post by oao » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:13 am

I am confirming that the method I posted earlier for slipstreaming x64 SP2 into XP64 CD works.

I copied the the update binaries from the x86 sp2 to the x64 sp2 and used the update /integrate command as you advised and it did the trick.

So I am back to how can use integrator to slipstream the hotfixes in a x86 environment.

The VM option is too much hassle. Perhaps I there is a kind soul who runs x64 to whom I can upload my CD files, have him integrate the hotfixes and email me back the finished version. I can't say I like to burden another with this though.

User avatar
5eraph
Site Admin
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:38 pm
Location: Riverview, MI USA

Post by 5eraph » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:26 am

The RyanVM Integrator cannot integrate individual updates. You'll need nLite for that. I'm not sure how well it will work in x86 to integrate x64 updates though. I haven't used it much myself.

oao
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Post by oao » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:49 am

5eraph wrote:The RyanVM Integrator cannot integrate individual updates. You'll need nLite for that. I'm not sure how well it will work in x86 to integrate x64 updates though. I haven't used it much myself.
Why individual updates? I want to integrate the whole update pack, but I want to do it in x86 environment. It is more convenient than nLite for fixes, because I don't have to download all the fixes first. I will use nLite after the integrator, for other tweaks and cd creation.

Incidentally, there are 2 x64 update packs. How do I use them with integrator after I download them? Do I have to unzip them? Do I use each one separately? There seem to be no instructions.

User avatar
5eraph
Site Admin
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:38 pm
Location: Riverview, MI USA

Post by 5eraph » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:59 am

You should only use one update pack. Using more than one may cause unpredictable results. I'm familiar with mine; no unpacking is necessary. I'll need a link to the other one to advise you how to use it.

oao
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Post by oao » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:55 pm

5eraph wrote:You should only use one update pack. Using more than one may cause unpredictable results. I'm familiar with mine; no unpacking is necessary. I'll need a link to the other one to advise you how to use it.
My mistake: i was referring to your xp and ie6 update packs.

I linked Integrator to both and it slipstreamed without a hitch (there were some warnings about 8.3 file names). So: (1) Integrator does the x64 work under x86!!!!! (2) I hope that using both packs did not cause problems. The size of xp64 went from 626MB to 599MB.

It was also interesting to note that after I integrated the sp2 via the command line, nLite did not longer refuse to accept the x64 CD as input under x86. It now appears to accept operation in x86, so I am gonna try to use it to streamline, add drivers, tweak and create a boot disc. I will report here the results.

User avatar
5eraph
Site Admin
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:38 pm
Location: Riverview, MI USA

Post by 5eraph » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:23 pm

The 8.3 warnings are specific to x86 OSes that include WINNT.EXE which, when used to install Windows from DOS, cannot handle long file names. XP x64 does not have this problem so those warnings given by the Integrator can be safely ignored.

Using both the Update Pack and the IE6 Updates addon will not cause problems as long as you don't integrate IE7 with nLite.

Your source shrank because the Integrator merges DRIVER.CAB and SP2.CAB which eliminates obsolete files and provides better compression for the resulting cabinet file as a result.

oao
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Post by oao » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:37 pm

Good.

How do you explain the fact that both Integrator and nLite seem to work within x86 after replacing the update binaries during the sp2 application?

Prior to that nLite would not work and as far as I know you thought that Integrator would not work either within x86.

Is there any possibility that despite the fact that it recognized the x64 version of xp, it applied the hotfixes as if it were x86 version, thus yielding a nonfunctioning CD input? Hard for me to believe, but I want to make sure.

oao
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Post by oao » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:45 pm

One other question: I am installing drivers AFTER XP, so I could have nLite leave out the base drivers that come with the OS.

However, in the case of XP64 it's not clear that drivers for all devices are available and which will work or not. So is it a good idea to keep the base ones for the important devices just in case one of them will work, or the chance for this are small and I better leave them out?

Have no idea how much space they take and if they slow down operation in any way.

User avatar
5eraph
Site Admin
Posts: 4621
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:38 pm
Location: Riverview, MI USA

Post by 5eraph » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:16 pm

oao wrote:How do you explain the fact that both Integrator and nLite seem to work within x86 after replacing the update binaries during the sp2 application?
5eraph wrote:...integrating the Update Pack can be done from within an x86 environment because the process does not require running an x64 executable. :)
oao wrote:Prior to that nLite would not work and as far as I know you thought that Integrator would not work either within x86.
I haven't said that. All I said was that the Integrator can't slipstream x64 SP2 in an x86 environment for the same reason that nLite can't.
oao wrote:Is there any possibility that despite the fact that it recognized the x64 version of xp, it applied the hotfixes as if it were x86 version, thus yielding a nonfunctioning CD input?
There is no possibility of that happening. We're not using the /integrate switch of the original update packages. I have done all of the work; nLite and the Integrator can make the necessary changes that I've scripted within entries.ini in an x86 environment.
oao wrote:...is it a good idea to keep the base [drivers] for the important devices just in case one of them will work, or the chance for this are small and I better leave them out?
I never remove drivers, so perhaps I'm not the best person to answer this question. All I can tell you with the limited hardware I've tested with is that when XP x64 includes a driver for hardware I'm using, it works.

Post Reply