Some questions about nLite'ing xp64

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Update Pack discussion.
oao

Some questions about nLite'ing xp64

Post by oao » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:24 pm

Hi,

1. I am slipstreaming a retail disc of XP64 SP1. When I click to select SP2 nLite tells me that there are previous hotfixes applied, which need to be reversed before SP2. Does that make sense for a MS CD? Does it mean that MS applied hotfixes before making the CD? And why do they need to be reversed?

2. If I already registered Windows with MS do I need to keep the Windows SysPrep on the slipstreamed disc, or can I discard it?

3. I am slipstreaming drivers. But some of them have several .INF files rather than one (e.g. Intel chipset and SATA). There is a nLite warning to select only the proper drives in a distribution, but it's often hard to tell which one to pick. Should I specify multiple drivers and select the folder with the multiple INF's and select All?

Thanks.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:23 pm

I noticed your questions on MSFN, but wasn't sure how to answer all of them. Still can't, but I'll try:
  1. If your disc is an original manufactured/pressed copy then you shouldn't have any problems slipstreaming SP2. You'll need to use the command line if nLite tells you it cannot.
  2. I've never messed with SysPrep. I cannot answer this question.
  3. All of my current motherboards are AMD-based. Fernando 1 seems to be the guy to ask.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:04 pm

It could be that you might have some other issues as well. Are you running nlite on a 32bit platform, or is the OS you are currently using also 64bit?

I myself am looking to upgrade to 64bit, but I will have to install that OS *first* before I can even apply the updates to the install CD.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

oao

Post by oao » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:39 pm

5eraph wrote:[*]If your disc is an original manufactured/pressed copy then you shouldn't have any problems slipstreaming SP2. You'll need to use the command line if nLite tells you it cannot.]
That's what I thought. And once I accept to rollback nLite does SP2 fine. But I still wonder what that rollback is all about.

[*]I've never messed with SysPrep. I cannot answer this question.][/quote]

The question is is it still necessary after I registered it?

What about the drivers?

oao

Post by oao » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:40 pm

crashfly wrote:It could be that you might have some other issues as well. Are you running nlite on a 32bit platform, or is the OS you are currently using also 64bit?]
Intel XP64 system

TranceEnergy

Post by TranceEnergy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:39 pm

If memory serves, nlite is not supporting that itanium/intel version of xp x64. Correct me if im wrong.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:18 pm

Before confusion ensues, allow me to clarify architectures and their acronyms/abbreviations/aliases:OSes and intended architectures:
  • Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (x86-64)
    • also known as Windows XP for 64-Bit Extended Systems (x86-64)
    Windows XP for Itanium-based Systems Version 2003 (IA-64)
In summary:
  • AMD64 == Intel 64 != Intel Itanium

code65536

Post by code65536 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Yea, I personally prefer the "x86-64" label because it's the most accurate: it's the 64-bit version of the x86 architecture and leaves no ambiguity with regards to what 64-bit architecture we're talking about, and I try to use the x86-32 and x86-64 labels as consistently and as much as possible when I post. I especially dislike the whole "x86" vs. "x64" labeling that Microsoft officially uses because it implies that the two are disconnected when they are not.

I should also add:
Win32 == 32-bit process running on 32-bit Windows
Win64 == 64-bit process running on 64-bit Windows (x86-64, IA-64, the long-defunct Alpha, etc.)
Wow64 == 32-bit process running on 64-bit Windows (could be any 64-bit variant)
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

RickSteele

Re: Some questions about nLite'ing xp64

Post by RickSteele » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:39 pm

Ask nhui in his MSFN support forum, sysprep is not on my system, no idea why you would require it at all. I own a Maximus Formula motherboard and have no trouble slipstreaming/integrating anything using nlite and Integrator. The txtmode drivers (F6) must match your southbridge (ICH7, 8, 9 etc. "R" stands for RAID compatability in Intel nomenclature; ie: ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI vs ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller-the only label you need be concerned with is the southbridge chipset (ICH9R, ICH9M (no RAID compatability), ICH8R etc.) Your motherboard spec sheet will tell you what your's is. iaAHCI is SATA AHCI and iastor is RAID.
Choose any inf in the PNP folder "infinst" because nlite integrates them all anyways and the OS will find the right one.

Passion

Post by Passion » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:57 pm

obsolete, sorry