x64 Drivers

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Update Pack discussion.
RickSteele

x64 Drivers

Post by RickSteele » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:25 am

Just in case.....

updated to 190.38_desktop_winxp_64bit_english_whql; control panel is not broken anymore:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_190.38_whql.html

If you own an Auzentech X-Fi™ Prelude or X-Fi™ Forte sound card, they have finnally come out with new, and much improved, WHQL drivers for both (a long time coming for the Prelude)-latest (X-Fi Forte Multi-Driver (Win 7, XP and Vista, 32-bit / 64-bit):

http://www.auzensupport.com/site/download/updates.php

Intel 64-bit floppy (F6) released july 17, 2009

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_ ... bmit=Go%21

..and Win7RC1 Intel INF installation utility July 17, 2009

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_ ... bmit=Go%21

..no BSOD, a little footnote on the updated Intel TXT mode drivers; I was experiencing random iastor.sys failures-write to, and retrieve from cache-errors using the previous drivers. Since upgrading to this latest set, this concern is gone; the system is faster and more stable, for me anyways.
Last edited by RickSteele on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 15 times in total.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Hmmm ... I wonder what else they fixed with those. I am running a version behind. :shock: Time to update.

Thanks for the heads up.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

TranceEnergy

Post by TranceEnergy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Ati 9.2 drivers causes a blue screen on startup/login for me. Got a 4850.

RickSteele

Post by RickSteele » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:32 pm

@TranceEnergy

I feel for ya', bummer; I have become a stalwart NVIDIA video card user and will never again revert back to ATI no matter what. They're all so close nowadays; it really does come down to brand preference rather than true performance. I'm running an EVGA 280 FTW GTX for display and an EVGA SC 260 GTX for Physics on a Maximus Formula x38. I'm going to upgrade to the i7, Rampage II Extreme by summer.
The geForce drivers are more stable even in beta and the game/video developers seem to favor NVIDIA over ATI-probably due to larger kickbacks LOL.
I tried an ASUS 4870 x2 2GB, it died after 2 hours of running it; BSOD; you name it! I just do not like ATI's way of doing things at all anymore; although, that said, ATI/AMD is the true innovator in technology the last few years, it just seems they are not able to nail it down-always a bride's maid, never a bride type thing.
But, the way AMD is starting to push it, that may not be the case anymore real quick; sincerely, I hope the next catalyst release solves things for ya'.

On another note, it sure is about time Auzentech did something with the Prelude drivers; I'm running the Forte now-just bought it.

MAN, I do tend to run on don't I??!

TranceEnergy

Post by TranceEnergy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Well i didnt say i dont like ATI, infact i love them guys.

I was just saying that for me i had a bad experience with the 9.2 drivers.
Shit happens, is what i was meaning to say more or less. Also,, and this is important, i run a extremely tight locked windows x64. This thing flies, and im darn sure my install of x64 sp2, is the fastest on the planet. Period. This means, i delete a lot of crap i dont normally would ever need, and such the bluescreen may just be from a file or dependency i have deleted. Alas the fault could be on me.

Personally i love the entire idea that i have cpu, chipset, graphics card, even system memory optimized for the entire combination, all from same company mother, can't really think of a good word atm (exhausted from moving out of my old apartment), but anywz. Also, more so now then ever, if there ever was a good time to spend money wisely, it's now.

And making the intel/nvidia clan stronger, especially in light of nvidia's continous runs on new products going under same label as older technology etc, now is only going to hurt me as a customer in the long run.

Amd/Ati is far from perfect, but i can't help but truly appreciate what they are accomplishing, even though they dont have the fastest 3dmark/benchmark cpu's etc, i dont need that. I need responsive and affordable equipment, meaning i can buy a new rig every 3d month, and get top of the line products.

Having said that, i'm baffled by that my computer runs certain benchmarks way faster then intel/nvidia systems that cost's typically twice or even 3-4 times the money, that i have in the core components.

Sorry if this became somewhat a rant, it just felt so cozy to sit and type for a while, after tremendously un-geekish like lifting and carrying behaviour.

Oh and i've used nvidia for years previously. I remember the 6800 ultra golden sample, oc edition, that costed (according to xe.com currency calculus) about 800 us dollars, at current us dollar, probably more then. It lasted a few gaming sessions then actually burned out. Never bought a pre-burned gfx card after that =)

Also nforce chipset was a joke, the NAM firewall thingie, the inclusion of physx nowadays. Bloateeeedd..

;)

RickSteele

Post by RickSteele » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:26 pm

drag ya' for pink slips Trance' LOL :) :P
I'm the same...less is better; 27 processes running in Task Manager and as many services as possible disabled, no ICQ or IM; normal email works fine for me
Well, seriously, I hope that is the case for your troubles and are able to get everything on track with the next driver release and/or some tweaking.
I like it all to be honest...ATI, NVIDIA, Intel....it's a great time to be a geek and/or techie :D

Enjoy...man, that's the bottom line :wink:

TranceEnergy

Post by TranceEnergy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:09 am

I'm running with 10 processes after boot. 11 services on auto, like 5 started manually right now on their own depending on need, out of 63 total installed services. I could do less, but i like having themes, and usb keyboard media keys enabled etc. I have most on manual, automatic updates/bits services etc, only kick in when checking winupdates website and close afterwards. Which also increases safety network wise as a bonus. Arguably next to nothing but nevertheless. This with all capabilities per se intact.

Hmm my adobe cs4 master script removes 600mb of files i never use and i just found some more files after latest updates...jeesus... 7600files + entire dirs removed containing non-english files. The bloat today is crazy.

TranceEnergy

Post by TranceEnergy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:45 am

Man i can't wait to get ati 9.3 drivers, hopefully out early this month, i certainly hope they dont skip at least. So i can have latest drivers and latest 5eraph's update pack. It's all awesomeness!

Passion

Post by Passion » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:31 am

TranceEnergy wrote:Hmm my adobe cs4 master script removes 600mb of files i never use and i just found some more files after latest updates...jeesus... 7600files + entire dirs removed containing non-english files. The bloat today is crazy.
Which Adobe script is that?
And what did you use to remove the non-english files? (Is that post install, or pre-install?)

By the way, Foxitreader is so much faster and smaller than Adobe's PDF-reader it's insane. So it's also the way adobe does things these days..

TranceEnergy

Post by TranceEnergy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:28 am

Its a script i wrote myself And its post install, i found that it doesnt matter writing it for pre-install, which is good for me anwz, easier. And also If doing updates to installation, and most would, some of the EULA's are written back into system, so hence better have it post install. Tho best solution = Adobe just make custom install better!

I have found out that 9.2 / 9.3 drivers are having new/different file dependencies then the 9.1 drivers. I am not sure exactly what, but i managed to get 9.3 drivers running now. They didnt to start with, havent checked 9.2 But just happy i got rid of the problem atm.

Passion

Post by Passion » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:20 am

TranceEnergy wrote:Its a script i wrote myself And its post install
Could you post it somewhere perhaps? Could be a handy pointer for my own post-install removal scripts.