How to get rid of the nasty Net Locator Protocol ?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
vodacuza

How to get rid of the nasty Net Locator Protocol ?

Post by vodacuza » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:39 am

Every time I use an installation CD made from the very usefull Ryan AIO post SP3 or that AIO post SP3 taken from wincert forum... I encounter a nasty protocol :? installed by default that i not like... it is something about Network discover Locator or smth... I do not know exactly the words cause I attend to delete it quickly first task right after installing unattended windows :) , it is something installed beside the 4 clasic protocols on network properties.

Now I have entered the "Add remove programs" (Set program access and defaults) ---> "Remove Windows Components" and I guess is related with the following group : "Network Services" and it names : "Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client" ... Can I disable it , I mean... not to be installed without my choosing to do so ? :rolleyes:

I looked within Nlite and I do not recognize the corespondent component which ticking, might affect that... I took a screen shot here :

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 am

or at least someone to tell me that it is safe to keep it... I have a PPPOE exit for internet...therefore I must execute a certain procedure to access Internet even if i have installed the network driver... cause the network driver only proportionate to me the connection to ISP LAN...awaiting for the password and user (install the PPOE)... and also because I use "sygate firewall"...installed always right after windows first boot... when I give the second restart... the firewall popped up saying that an IP (not the legitimate ones, the internal ones from my ISP) wants to connect to my PC ... it was almost impossible cause I did not even established any external connection through the PPPOE ... it seemed strange and from that time on... I execute Locator protocol after installing, but I got tired .. and it is a shame to me having such an unattended installation disk which causes itself the installation of an unwanted protocol, not installed by original MS cd ... that's why I look for deleting that...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:44 am

I can't find any information about removing the protocol or disabling it by default. But that protocol seems to be related to Universal Plug and Play. UPnP can be completely disabled by disabling the following two Windows services:
  • SSDP Discovery Service
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host
They can be disabled in nLite under the Services tab of the Tweaks task:

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:28 am

thanks a lot for the information, I took the liberty of reading more about the subject...it seems a MUST to disable those.. :P

http://www.updatexp.com/upnp_security.html

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 am

SSDP and UPNP information remain in my attention to disable them

but I found out that after installing with those services being disabled
it still attaches the nasty protocol :shock:

Only that this time I wrote it down ...it says :

"LINK LAYER TOPOLOGY DISCOVERY RESPONDER" or LLTD ..

I've made some researches and came that it is installed with this update:
"KB922120"

I do not want this hanging to net resources... it is obsolete for me...
As I use AIO POST SP3 updated till 23 feb 2010 , made by the good guys , i cannot even think of asking them how to avoid installing this particular update...
So I've downloaded it ...put it into C:\ extracted it using "-x" switch ---> Start---> Run :
C:\WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe -x

and saw the contents... as my good guys are using the updating files all in one place decompressed... I wonder if by deleting those files related to KB922120 is enough ? I saw there is a cat file too located within a separate folder within the AIO
(OnePiece_Windows_XP_Post-SP3_UpdatePack_v3.3.1_ENU.7z)

My question is:
If I manage manually deleteing all those files... then what text file should I edit to completely remove de reference to it ? Is there a big .inf file or something which says to any file how to behave and where to go ?

inside that AIO must be something to edit beside removing the files...
somehow I must suppress that update from being passed to windows directory...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:14 pm

I remember KB922120. :)

That update is easily removed by using one of the following addons.

Details:
  • Tested in VMware Server 1.0.10 with XPx86SP3 Pro and OnePiece's Update Pack v3.3.1.
  • Integrates with RyanVM Integrator v1.6 and nLite 1.4.9.1, or later versions of either.
Downloads:
Last edited by 5eraph on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:32 pm

:P now I have the perfect windows kit, thanx