Confirming Integration Process

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
Nashnir

Confirming Integration Process

Post by Nashnir » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:17 pm

did the following.

1. Integrated a Genuine WinXP Pro (Retail) x86 CD ( it even confirms SHA1 hascheck with the num on MS site ) with Onepiece's EN-US Windows XP Post-SP3 All-in-One Update Pack using RVM integrator

2. Used nlite to trim Windows XP using guide given here http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp

The final ISO file was just 450mb , lol. Used VirtualBox to check the integrity of my copy and everything ran fine with irritating Activation popups.

Well it works well in the Virtual simulation but just wanted to ask if what I had done is fine. Just asked cause I read here in the forums while browsing that using integrators again and again may cause problems.

If that was fine then next I will move onto integrating softwares.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Well, it depends on how you plan on going about adding software to it. If you're going to be using "true" addons, then you should probably be adding those before doing the nLite thing. If you're just adding silent installers, multimode installers, or whatever, then you're fine so far.

When you read about staying away from integrating more than once, what people are talking about is integrating an update pack on top of a previous update pack. That can cause issues. Or integrating an update pack on top of an nLited source. You always want to start with a fresh source, slipstream service packs if necessary, then integrate a single update pack. After that, feel free to go to town with it. As a general rule of thumb, if you're integrating DriverPacks, you'll want to heed caution before integrating anything else after they have been integrated. In other words, finish it off with DriverPacks.

Nashnir

Post by Nashnir » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks a lot. Will keep the tip in mind.

Edit :

Another small question.
If I remove any component in the component remove section of nlite and I realise later that I may need it after installing Windows is it possible to install them using the Original CD within which it is present ?

Also I presume it is safe to remove all the drivers present in the Windows XP CD as all new components come with their Driver CD if needed

mark strelecki

Post by mark strelecki » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Unless you have some overriding reason to trim space from the install media, I would suggest NOT removing drivers with nLite.

I've been using Nuhi's fine application for years and I figured out a LONG TIME AGO that the less I removed, the better.

Now, instead of removing services I turn them OFF. And even though I integrate my own drivers, or use the fine DriverPacks, I NEVER remove drivers from my XP install.

Try it, and see what your testing shows. If you can do the removals without errors or performance issues running that setup, then by all means do whatever floats your boat.

And good luck, whatever you decide to do!

MARK STRELECKI

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Nashnir wrote:Thanks a lot. Will keep the tip in mind.

Edit :

Another small question.
If I remove any component in the component remove section of nlite and I realise later that I may need it after installing Windows is it possible to install them using the Original CD within which it is present ?

Also I presume it is safe to remove all the drivers present in the Windows XP CD as all new components come with their Driver CD if needed
If you remove a component from the XP install, then no you will not be able to reinstall it using an original XP disk. When you "remove" the component, you do exactly that, you remove it and all of the install's knowledge of ever having that component. The *only* exceptions to this rule are those components that can be installed with a separate installer from the Windows installer.

An answer to your second question depends on what you consider "safe". If you remove *all* drivers, you will likely not be able to install Windows *at all*. The drivers on the CD include generic drivers just to even get things like HDD and graphics support for the install. Also, removing some drivers can cause programs installed later that *require* that support to completely fail. So in general, it is not a good idea to remove a lot of drivers from the XP install.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

JKL

Post by JKL » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:07 am

Per the original poster's question ...I'd like to know is this proper intregration steps or is there a better way ?

1.) With RVM Integrator v1.6.1b2.1 ...integrate onepiece 3.9.0 update pack with my original clean (extracted from .ISO with Nlite) source XP files.
2.) Using RVM Integrator ...integrate all (one at a time) Removal Addons ... Exception: I only remove .netFX 1.1 & 4.0.
3.) With RVM Integrator ...intregrate Kels Runtimes v6.8 addon.
4.) Nlite ...to remove extra languages & other tweaks.
5.) Using DPs BASE v10.06 ...add my perferred Driver Packs.
6.) Nlite ...to make the .ISO.

Thanks ...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:25 am

Looks good here, JKL.

TheMAN

Post by TheMAN » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:41 am

what did you removed to "trim down" the XP disc to 490mb? if you keep everything in, the final ISO is usually around 800mb... get rid of .net 2.0 through 4.0, the winmfc crap (has powershell, etc), and bit locker... you can be just right around 700mb... barely enough room to add windows defender (if you wanted), and be able to over burn the disc at 712mb

I personally prefer to keep all the standard issue "junk" (from original cd) in to avoid installation/compatibility issues that nlite sometimes causes.... it already takes enough time to build a disc, then test installing it to make sure it all works

JKL

Post by JKL » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:47 am

Looks good here, JKL.
Thanks for the reply ...

But for some reason when installing Windows XP now ...it requests for the XP serial even though it was applied/setup in the Nlite options to auto apply.

Would it be better to intregate the Onepiece 3.9.0 update pack with Nlite instead of the RVM Integrator ?

OR

After adding Onepiece 3.9.0 (with RVM Integrator OR RVM Integrator) ...Nlite to remove languages, etc. & add tweaks first ...THEN use RVM Integrator with all my preferred onepiece removal_addons.

OR OTHER ...?

Also ...I hope it isn't true, but I read here in this forum that onepiece is discontinuing doing anymore updates.

FEEDBACK IS MUCH APPRECIATED ....THANKS

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:25 pm

The CD-Key issue seems to be related to slipstreaming SP3 into XP on a Vista-based or Win7-based host. If you have access to an XP machine, do your ISO work on it instead of machines with newer OSes. Or use an XP client on a virtual machine to slipstream SP3 into your source.

I don't test XPx86 often enough to say with authority whether nLite or RVMi works better with OnePiece's releases.

But I can tell you that nLite removals and tweaks should come after adding an update pack, regardless of the tool used. And for consistent results, nLite should only be run once on any given source, with the exception of using nLite only to create an ISO at the very end.

Until I see or hear for myself from OnePiece or nonno fabio directly, I will not speculate on the fate of their work.

JKL

Post by JKL » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm running XP on my PC & I'm using a clean Windows XP w/SP3 source to start with. On my previous XP update build ...the Nlite auto apply serial option worked.

Based on my post & others I've read here ...it appears kinda hard for some members here to share their knowledge regarding proper XP Intregration methods.

IMO ..it would be REALLY helpful if someone here would start a new thread regarding this & make it a sticky. This way ...others that are having problems, can see what various successful Intregration methods have been used by RyanVM members & would prevent alot of on-going redundant questions.