both version have wmp10 included

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:45 pm

XP x64 RTM == XP x64 SP1
;)

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:21 am

Figuring something sure is wrong I decided to try again using the XP Pro w/SP2 CD itself.

Booted into XP Pro x64 w/SP2 and used the source CD itself as the source.

Started the RyanVM Integrator > CD/DVD drive selected > Destination selected > Update Pack Selected > Addons Selected > Integrate selected > Log file started > Error message > File not found - dosnet.inf not found in I386 directory! > OK > RyanVM closed.

Opened Explorer and found DOSNET.INF in the AMD64 directory on the CD.

Opened Explorer and went to the hard drive folder containing the copy of the CD - DOSNET.INF in the AMD64 directory.

WTF!!!!.

Booted into Win7 Ultimate 64-bit w/SP1 and opted to try the CD from here.

Started the RyanVM Integrator > CD/DVD drive selected > Destination selected > Update Pack Selected > Addons Selected > Integrate selected > Updates and Addons Successful > WMP11 Slipstreamer opened > Basic options selected as appropriate > Integrate > Unhandled Exception > Offending hotfix: windowsserver2003.windowsxp-kb979482-x64-enu.exe > The source has not been corrupted. All changes have been successfully undone. > Close > Opted to try again and omit offending file > Integrate > Success - Integration completed successfully.

So, why did things work in Win7 Ultimate and not when I booted into XP Pro x64 w/SP2? Not finding the folder containing DOSNET.INF seems to be part of the problem. A check of my stuff found a previously made XP Pro x64 w/SP2 RyanVM Integated CD completed 27 Nov 2009 (probably using Win7 as I'll bet I had had similar problem then using XP Pro x64 - which now, 23 months later, is a vague memory).

Booted into XP Pro w/SP3 and, again, opted to try the XP Pro w/SP2 CD from here.

Started the RyanVM Integrator > CD/DVD drive selected > Destination selected > Update Pack Selected > Addons Selected > Integrate selected > Updates and Addons Successful > WMP11 Slipstreamer opened > Basic options selected as appropriate > Integrate > Offending hotfix listed above not included > Success > Make ISO

So, two out of three attempts were successful. The major difference, if it matters, is that this source CD was created without AHCI drivers because, at that time, I was unaware of how to include them. I did learn later that I could use nLite 1.4.9.1 to add these to the source material; which is what I had done sometime later and had used as a source to create an XP Pro x64 w/SP2 Integrated DVD (with AHCI drivers) (but no WMP11 because of difficulties mentioned earlier).

A cursory check of the two DOSNET.inf files showed that the one with the AHCI drivers was larger by about 2K and ended with: ; Customized by nLite - www.nliteos.com

Another round of tests is now warranted.

Still in XP Pro w/SP3 - using the July 2011 XP Pro x64 w/SP2 AHCI source copied to a hard drive folder.

Started the RyanVM Integrator > hard drive location selected > Destination selected > Update Pack Selected > Addons Selected > Integrate selected > Updates and Addons Successful > WMP11 Slipstreamer opened > Basic options selected as appropriate > Integrate > WMP11 Slipstreamer has encountered a problem and needs to close.... > Close

This to me indicates there is a difference between the two versions of the source I used - I'm guessing that it is the DOSNET.INF file that the WPM11 Slipstreamer is having problems with.

Booted into XP Pro x64 w/SP2 - using the July 2011 XP Pro x64 w/SP2 AHCI source copied to a hard drive folder.

Started the RyanVM Integrator > hard drive location selected > Destination selected > Update Pack Selected > Addons Selected > Integrate selected > Log file started > Error message > File not found - dosnet.inf not found in I386 directory! > OK > RyanVM closed.

Opened Explorer and found DOSNET.INF in the AMD64 directory on the CD.

Opened Explorer and went to the hard drive folder containing the copy of the CD - DOSNET.INF in the AMD64 directory.

WTF!!!!. Again

Booted into Win7 Ultimate 64-bit w/SP1 - using the July 2011 XP Pro x64 w/SP2 AHCI source copied to a hard drive folder.

Started the RyanVM Integrator > hard drive location selected > Destination selected > Update Pack Selected > Addons Selected > Integrate selected > Updates and Addons Successful > WMP11 Slipstreamer opened > Basic options selected as appropriate > Integrate > WMP11 Slipstreamer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you is a solution is available. > Same WerFault.exe as previously.

It looks the problems WMP11 Slipstreamer are having can be attributed to using nLite to add the AHCI drivers to the original source material and the DOSNET.INF changes.

I hope all of the actions I took above are clear to everyone - I'm pretty sure the problem is with the version I created that has the AHCI drivers included.

Anyone?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:51 am

I haven't tried AHCI drivers (don't need them on my hardware). Do you have a link to them? I'd like to see if I can duplicate the issue here.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:15 am

@Chief, @Boooggy, @5eraph

First of all, if I'm in the way at all please just tell me to go away and I'll stay out of this and let you three solve the problem. I'm just trying to condense things to see if we can figure out what's different between the various setups so we can find out what's wrong.

@Chief - Does this table correctly summarize the six tests you described above?
test_| boot into =_____________| integrate source =_________________________| Result =
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)__| XP Pro x64 w/SP2 _______| XP Pro w/SP2 CD (without AHCI drivers)_______| Fail - dosnet.inf not found
2)__| Win7 Ultimate x64 w/SP1 _| XP Pro w/SP2 CD (without AHCI drivers)_______| Success - without kb979482
3)__| XP Pro w/SP3 (x86)______| XP Pro w/SP2 CD (without AHCI drivers)_______| Success - without kb979482
4)__| XP Pro w/SP3 (x86)______| XP Pro w/SP2 (with AHCI added by nLite) on HD_| Fail - Slipstreamer problem
5)__| XP Pro x64 w/SP2 _______| XP Pro w/SP2 (with AHCI added by nLite) on HD_| Fail - dosnet.inf not found
6)__| Win7 Ultimate x64 w/SP1 _| XP Pro w/SP2 (with AHCI added by nLite) on HD_| Fail - Slipstreamer problem
If not, could you edit it, adding notes below it for (1), (2), etc to further clarify things as appropriate?

The same info grouped another way to try and highlight a suspicion I have:
test_| boot into =_____________| integrate source =_________________________| Result =
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3)__| XP Pro w/SP3 (x86)______| XP Pro w/SP2 CD (without AHCI drivers)_______| Success - without kb979482
4)__| XP Pro w/SP3 (x86)______| XP Pro w/SP2 (with AHCI added by nLite) on HD_| Fail - Slipstreamer problem
1)__| XP Pro x64 w/SP2 _______| XP Pro w/SP2 CD (without AHCI drivers)_______| Fail - dosnet.inf not found
5)__| XP Pro x64 w/SP2 _______| XP Pro w/SP2 (with AHCI added by nLite) on HD_| Fail - dosnet.inf not found
2)__| Win7 Ultimate x64 w/SP1 _| XP Pro w/SP2 CD (without AHCI drivers)_______| Success - without kb979482
6)__| Win7 Ultimate x64 w/SP1 _| XP Pro w/SP2 (with AHCI added by nLite) on HD_| Fail - Slipstreamer problem
Assuming that the XP Pro x64 w/SP2 you booted into also had the AHCI drivers added by nLite, then I think you are right. Anytime the AHCI drivers are present, in either your boot OS or in your Integrate source, WMP11 Slipstreamer fails for one reason or another. If you boot into XP Pro w/SP2 (with AHCI added by nLite) then dosnet.inf is missing so Updates and Addons fails and Slipstreamer never even begins. If your integrate source is XP Pro w/SP2 (with AHCI added by nLite) then Slipstreamer has a problem. Whether the problem is the drivers or something that nLite did I'm not sure, but I think it's something nLite did.

@Boooggy and @5eraph - If it would help, refer to (1), (2), etc to ask questions or suggest test changes.

NOTE: This was just my idea to try and make sense of all of this. If this doesn't help, just ignore me. If you know of a way to make a better table and have things line up please tell me. Proportional fonts are a pain.

Just trying to help.

Cheers and Regards

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:58 am

Thanks for highlighting the possibilities, bphlpt. :)

I missed mention of KB979482. It's included in the update pack and should not be added by the WMP11 slipstreamer, even when not using the update pack.

The following is the list of update file names I use with the slipstreamer. It should reflect everything on boooggy's list and has not changed since 2011/03/13 or before.
  • windowsmedia11-kb928788-x64-intl.exe
    windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x64-intl.exe
    windowsmedia11-kb929773-x64-intl.exe
    windowsmedia11-kb932390-x64-intl.exe
    windowsmedia11-kb933547-x64-intl.exe
    windowsmedia11-kb935551-x64-intl.exe
    windowsmedia11-kb935552-x64-intl.exe
    windowsmedia11-kb939209-x64-intl.exe
    WindowsMedia11-KB939683-x64-ENU.exe
    WindowsMedia11-KB941569-x64-ENU.exe
    windowsmedia11-kb944882-x64-intl.exe
    WindowsMedia11-KB952069-x64-ENU.exe
    windowsmedia11-kb954067-x64-intl.exe
    WindowsMedia11-KB954154-x64-ENU.exe
    WindowsMedia11-KB954155-x64-ENU.exe
    WindowsMedia11-KB973540-x64-ENU.exe
    WindowsMedia11-KB974905-x64-INTL.exe
    WindowsXP-SP2-X64-WindowsMedia-KB975558-x64-ENU.exe
    WindowsMedia11-KB978695-x64-ENU.exe
    WindowsMedia11-KB2378111-x64-ENU.exe

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:40 pm

5eraph wrote:I haven't tried AHCI drivers (don't need them on my hardware). Do you have a link to them? I'd like to see if I can duplicate the issue here.
5eraph - the AHCI drivers can be found at the Intel RST location: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/hi ... hpsts/imsm should work for the latest - there will be 32-bit and 64-bit versions

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:52 pm

bphlpt;

Your summary sums things up almost correctly.

One item though, the DOSNET.INF file was NOT missing, it is in the correct location - it was not detected by the WMP11 slipstreamer and the RyanVM Integrator. As I said, I opened Explorer and it was in the \AMD64 folder - the error message said it could not be found in the \I386 folder. On XP Pro x64 it is not in \I386.

KB979482 is the hotfix that caused the integrate problem and I opted to omit it later - is it important and any idea as to why it caused the problem?

Anything else?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:00 pm

ChiefZeke wrote:KB979482 is the hotfix that caused the integrate problem and I opted to omit it later - is it important and any idea as to why it caused the problem?
5eraph wrote:I missed mention of KB979482. It's included in the update pack and should not be added by the WMP11 slipstreamer, even when not using the update pack.
That update is important as a high priority OS update. But it caused the problem with the slipstreamer because it is not a WMP11 update. ;)

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:37 pm

5eraph;

In addition to my comments above about Intel RST drivers I figured I'd better mention that these drivers are motherboard/chipset specific so you might want to check other web sites for the appropriate downlaods.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:35 pm

I can't seem to duplicate your issue, ChiefZeke. I performed the following steps in the order given under XP x64 SP2 (updated by pack 2011-08_1, all .NETs installed except 1.1).

I had no difficulties.
ChiefZeke wrote:used the source CD itself as the source.
Did you follow step 1 below?
  1. Copied source files from unmodified XP x64 SP2 CD to hard drive.
  2. Ran nLite 1.4.9.1 and integrated all drivers on "F6 driver disk" available from Intel as text-mode. No other changes were made with nLite.
  3. Ran RVMi 1.6.1b2.1 and integrated update pack 2011-10_1. No addons were used and no other changes were made with RVMi.
  4. Ran WMP11 Slipstreamer 1.4.3.0 and integrated "wmp11-windowsxp-x64-enu.exe" with Vanilla output type and no advanced options. No hotfixes integrated.
  5. Created ISO with RVMi 1.6.1b2.1.

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:27 pm

5eraph,

The system I am running everything on has SATA-AHCI selected in the BIOS, not SATA-IDE. If I remember correctly you had mentioned you did not have SATA-AHCI as an option. (If that makes a difference - someone had said it is a possibility.)

Step #1 - Both; once using the CD with XP Pro x64 w/SP2, and then the hard drive source modified using nLite to add the AHCI drivers. (See my extensive posting above.) (I saw no point in copying the source CD to the hard dive - what difference would this make?)

Step #2 - Yes; the harddrive source.

Step #3 - No; update pack plus extensive list of addons.

Step #4 - Both; WMP11 x64 with and without hofixes.

Step #5 - yes.

Did you use one or more operating systems?

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:47 pm

@Chief,

I think the point 5eraph is trying to make is that a tried and true method for troubleshooting when you have a wide variety of stuff going on is to back up to a method that works, such as what 5eraph has outlined, then slowly add things back until it fails. If you would duplicate 5eraph's method above and verify that you don't get any errors either, then you can both begin to add more things to the mix until you can identify what exactly is causing your error. I know it's a lot to ask for you to do all these steps, but it might help others along with preventing future problems on your end as well.

Cheer and Regards

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:44 pm

bphlpt knows what I'm after, ChiefZeke. Let's find one problem at a time and start with a known working process, slowly adding complications until we find what breaks it.
ChiefZeke wrote:I saw no point in copying the source CD to the hard dive - what difference would this make?
It does make a difference. There's evidence somewhere on this forum. If you insist, I will attempt to find it. But I would ask that you not make it more difficult for me to try to help you. ;)

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:37 pm

@Chief,

Even if you don't have an XP system without SATA-AHCI drivers to boot into, if you duplicate 5eraph's test steps he outlined, with the only difference being the XP system you have booted into has SATA-AHCI selected in the BIOS, not SATA-IDE, and you have an error, then that would imply that the SATA-AHCI drivers in your running system are a problem somehow, or something else nLite did when it added those drivers. Then we'll keep eliminating things until you both do not have errors, then add things one at a time until it breaks.

Cheers and Regards

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:57 am

5eraph and bphlpt;

I copied down the steps outlined; though I feel the processes and results I outlined above provided sufficient answers I will re-do what I did in all three operating systems. Since tomorrow is Sunday and I will be having a long day watching football, expecting the Patriots to beat the Steelers, do not expect results any earlier than late Monday; unless Monday Night Football intervenes.

As for nLite, I inspected the version modified and it only created the folders \NLDRV\001 under \AMD64 and inserted the seven files from the F6 floppy as compressed files; so knowing that, I doubt if that was the problem.

As for troubleshooting methods - avionics systems on fighter and bomber aircraft saw to that.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:02 pm

@ChiefZeke

Please send me DOSNET.INF, TXTSETUP.SIF, LAYOUT.INF from the result source that crashes slipstreamer.
Also, can say, what triggers the crash ?

Does it happen after pressing the "Integrate" button ? At what step of integration ? or does it crash after browsing to the source ? When you get the "encountered a problem" box, can you move it away and look what's written in the slipstreamer status bar ?

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:43 pm

@Chief:

We obviously are trying very hard to help get to the bottom of whatever the issue is that is causing you problems.

Cheers and Regards

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:01 pm

31 Oct 2011

Booted into XP Pro x64 w/SP2

Copied the XP Pro x64 w/SP2 CD to the hard drive.

Started nLite - selected .INF from folder \STOR_10.6.2.1001 - ICH9R/DO/DH/SATA AHCI Controller - integrated successfully

Started RyanVM Integrator 1.6.1 beta 2.1 and browsed to the nLite integrated copy as the source. Update pack 5er_UpdatePack_XPx64SP2_2011-10_1.7z - Integrtate - File not found! dosnet.inf not found in I386 directory! (Same as reported earlier) Exit from RyanVMi. Opened Explorer and found dosnet.inf in the \AMD64 folder - as expected.

Not finding dosnet.inf happens from within XP Pro x64 w/SP2 whenever the RyanVM Integrator is run - this appears to be a failure of the RyanVM Integrator itself and appears to have nothing to do with the source used. I checked some of the notes I had written and as far back as May 2009 I noted that dosnet.inf would not be detected by the RyanVM Integrator if it was invoked from with XP Pro x64 w/SP2.

Booted into XP Pro w/SP3

Started RyanVM Integrator 1.6.1 beta 2.1 and browsed to the nLite integrated copy as the source. Update pack 5er_UpdatePack_XPx64SP2_2011-10_1.7z - Integrtate - Successful - WMP11 Slipstreamer started from RyanVMi - integrate only wmp11-windowsxp-x64-enu.exe - Vanilla (this was always the option) - Integrate - Successful - Make ISO - Successful

Started RyanVM Integrator and browsed to the nLite integrated copy as the source. Update pack 5er_UpdatePack_XPx64SP2_2011-10_1.7z - Integrate - Successful - WMP11 Slipstreamer started from RyanVMi - integrate wmp11-windowsxp-x64-enu.exe - Vanilla - ALL hotfixes selected - Integrate - Successful - Make ISO - Successful

Started RyanVM Integrator and browsed to the nLite integrated copy as the source. Update pack 5er_UpdatePack_XPx64SP2_2011-10_1.7z - Seven x64 Addons selected - Integrate - Successful - WMP11 Slipstreamer started from RyanVMi - Integrate wmp11-windowsxp-x64-enu.exe - Vanilla - ALL hotfixes selected - Integrate - Successful - Make ISO - Successful

Booted into Win7 Ultimate 64-bit w/SP1

Started RyanVM Integrator 1.6.1 beta 2.1 and browsed to the nLite integrated copy as the source. Update pack 5er_UpdatePack_XPx64SP2_2011-10_1.7z - Seven x64 Addons selected - Integrate - Successful - WMP11 Slipstreamer started from RyanVMi - Integrate wmp11-windowsxp-x64-enu.exe - Vanilla (this was always the option) - ALL hotfixes selected - Integrate - Successful - Make ISO - did not start, appears to be incompatible with a 64-bit operating system (no error messages).

So, it appears the problems I was having were caused by something wrong with the copy of XP Pro x64 w/SP2 CD I was originally using; not dosnet.inf or the nLite integration of the AHCI drivers. (It's really too bad the folks at Driver Packs were not able to come up the a method to create 64-bit driver packs to use with DPs_Base.exe (the Driver Packs program) and integrate things into XP Pro x64.)

Thanks to 5eraph for finding and installing XP Pro x64 to confirm the WMP11 Slipstreamer was working as advertised and the problems were not with it.

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:48 pm

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:53 pm

If someone is willing to maintain the code or keep it under development. I will put it up on bitbucket.org as an open-source project.
It is written in C# and needs Visual Studio 2010 to compile (but it targets .NET 2.0 so it runs on .NET 2.0 and upwards).

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Sorry to see things come to an end but time and events march on. Thanks for everyhting.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Here's an idea :o since the slipstreamer does not officially support KB970159 then why not update the original wmp11 installer with it. First you need to repack KB970159 (rename the cat and inf so its compatible with the slipsteamer,) then use it to replace umdf.exe in the default wmp11 installer, then repack it as well.

Try this out with the wmp11 slipstreamer and let me know if my idea works Edit: Tested and seems to integrate fine, just need someone to do a install to confirm

ENU X64: http://adf.ly/1713566/wmp11x64enu
MD5: 0f2a5bbd431923ec2c8a89e727adf1f7

ENU X86: http://adf.ly/1713566/wmp11x86enu
MD5: 700d5696cd4244d079cd4401478f49e1

Fixed: "not a valid Win32 application" repack error
Updated: LegitLibM.dll v1.9.43 + umdf.exe with KB970159

If your language wmp11 installer is not listed feel free to request it.

Thanks to tomasz86 for the cab sfx and instructions
Last edited by ricktendo64 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:59 am, edited 16 times in total.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:50 pm

boooggy wrote:
5eraph wrote:I can host it if boooggy and n7Epsilon don't object. The links don't expire on a paid MediaFire account.
ok seraph u can host it after close up.
thank you for the offer.
Download: (v1.4.3.0)

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:44 pm

thank you 5eraph
do u mind to add it to first post?

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Fixed not a valid win32 executable error, updated link above

Open to requests for other languages

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:09 pm

No problem, boooggy.

Thanks for the addon, Rick.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Not really a addon (just a hunch,) its the original installer updated with KB970159 updating old umdf.exe

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Sorry, my mistake.

Do you think you could do an x64 version? I know Svyat would be interested in it as well.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:58 am

Sorry took so long (internet connection was crappy all day,) added x64 repack

When Windows 8 becomes final will repack them once more with new umdf

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 am

Many thanks, Rick. :)

spawn

Post by spawn » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:00 pm

thanks

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:25 am

Added supported list of updates to first post as requested on MSFN.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:10 am

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:32 pm

List updated. KB2834904-v2 replaced KB2834904-v1.