Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 4

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
GH0st

Re: FIRST POST

Post by GH0st » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:29 am

long-lurker wrote:i second that :)
i've removed the flash (i prefer my own unintended install, i agree that flash should be up-to-date with new installs), but i haven't been able to find out how to do the security enhancements and have the fingers crossed that somebody has picked that up as a project...
I do agree that Flash needs to be up to date, just not in that particular pack. This makes it so it doesnt need to be updated any more. Just close it up, all the updates through May 2014, then some how include the Stephan security tweaks ... this way we can SLIPSTREAM all this while making a new ISO. Then once we have an active system, update the registry to include the tweak needed to receive POS updates. This would offer the cleanest system install.

Then use the AIO update pack, to install the flash, dotnet, java, ect ect ect. They do a perfect job at installing all this!

Yes, I too, have my fingers crossed!! :)

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:42 am

1. WIC IS ALREADY THERE! The WindowsCodecs.dll file is present (since SP3 actually).
2. The KB958655 is superseded. XP SP4 includes msi.dll version 4.5.6002.22362.
3. I am trying to reproduce the ESET Nod32 antivirus clock issue.

About Stefan's updates, you may have noticed I've removed/changed some things from the original xpfixit.inf which caused issues in some scenarios - and it took me quite a long time to stabilise it. So, proceed with caution when customising xpfixit.inf. In addition, there are some Firewall customization, which are installed in the appropriate .inf file (netfw.inf) and some changes in hive*.inf, dmreg.inf files (except for hivesft.inf).

@GH0st Thanks for the new security enhacements you posted I will add a note at the first page and add this as an optional download.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:09 pm

I have reproduced the time issue you mentioned. I'm trying to understand what causes this glitch.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:47 pm

harkaz wrote:1. WIC IS ALREADY THERE! The WindowsCodecs.dll file is present (since SP3 actually).
2. The KB958655 is superseded. XP SP4 includes msi.dll version 4.5.6002.22362.
3. I am trying to reproduce the ESET Nod32 antivirus clock issue.

About Stefan's updates, you may have noticed I've removed/changed some things from the original xpfixit.inf which caused issues in some scenarios - and it took me quite a long time to stabilise it. So, proceed with caution when customising xpfixit.inf. In addition, there are some Firewall customization, which are installed in the appropriate .inf file (netfw.inf) and some changes in hive*.inf, dmreg.inf files (except for hivesft.inf).

@GH0st Thanks for the new security enhacements you posted I will add a note at the first page and add this as an optional download.
Thank you for your response! I dont understand the WIC issue then, each time I do an install, based on SP3 + hidden_users update, each time I have to install WIC. So I dont know! I'm not meaning to argue the point, just my observation is all.

Thank you for taking a look at the time clock issue. As I said, it can also be seen in PEERBLOCK. Same issue, same time problem.

Thank you for your time!

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:53 pm

harkaz wrote:@GH0st Thanks for the new security enhacements you posted I will add a note at the first page and add this as an optional download.
I have tested this alot and am very pleased with the outcome, though others should test, to validate my work, prior to any inclusion!

Thanks again!!

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:59 pm

I stopped seeding the torrent until the Time zone issue has been fixed.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:16 pm

The issue also happens with SP4 live installer, but only after reboot. It must be an updated file related to the issue (registry is updated before post-install processes are run).

UPDATE:
So it might not be a bug of SP4 as an update pack but a regression issue.

Have you tested this with other update packs that use kernel32.dll 5.1.2600.6532 (the latest one)?

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:04 pm

harkaz wrote:The issue also happens with SP4 live installer, but only after reboot. It must be an updated file related to the issue (registry is updated before post-install processes are run).

UPDATE:
So it might not be a bug of SP4 as an update pack but a regression issue.

Have you tested this with other update packs that use kernel32.dll 5.1.2600.6532 (the latest one)?
I installed XP version slipstreamed to SP3, no other pack used. Then did a LIVE install of USP4. This is when I saw this problem. Never before did this occur, to include the other user_hidden pack from SEPT2014 and past versions. Not sure if this PROBLEM is due to the latest updates from MS or from USP4.

My intuition tells me, if may be the lastest update from MS!

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:42 am

@GHOst:

Other than your wanting to try out SP4 and see how it works before committing to it, is there any other reason that you have installed it this way?
GH0st wrote:To start, I used my original source of xp, being WinXP Pro (Corporate) SP0, I used RyanVM Integrator to slip stream official SP3 into this, then used nLite to mildly tweak and add intel INF's and AHCI drivers prior to making ISO. I used RUFUS 1.4.10 to put it all on a USB for install. Once at desktop I pulled the USP4 to desktop and ran it.
GH0st wrote:I installed XP version slipstreamed to SP3, no other pack used. Then did a LIVE install of USP4.
I mean I would think that once the few remaining bugs are worked out of SP4 that you would take your WinXP Pro (Corporate) SP0, use RyanVM Integrator to slip stream SP4 into that, then use nLite to mildly tweak and add intel INF's and AHCI drivers prior to making ISO, and use RUFUS 1.4.10 to put it all on a USB for install. Wouldn't this be quicker, easier, and make an even tighter install? Or am I missing something?

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:57 am

bphlpt wrote:@GHOst:

Other than your wanting to try out SP4 and see how it works before committing to it, is there any other reason that you have installed it this way?

I mean I would think that once the few remaining bugs are worked out of SP4 that you would take your WinXP Pro (Corporate) SP0, use RyanVM Integrator to slip stream SP4 into that, then use nLite to mildly tweak and add intel INF's and AHCI drivers prior to making ISO, and use RUFUS 1.4.10 to put it all on a USB for install. Wouldn't this be quicker, easier, and make an even tighter install? Or am I missing something?
I wanted to SLIPSTREAM the USP4 as well, but, there was reference (in this thread) to ONLY add USP4 to a LIVE install of windows ... thus I made the SP3 ISO, did a full install of it, then LIVE install of USP4.

Once again, this was mentioned as the proper/supported way to do it. So is my ONLY reason for doing what I did.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:03 am

The front page NOW says this ...
It can be applied to a live Windows XP system which has SP1, at minimum, installed or it can be slipstreamed (integrated) in any Windows XP installation media.
It did NOT say this when I read and downloaded from the orignial post ... or at least I don't recall it saying I could slipstream it as well

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:07 am

I'll be interested to hear harkaz's comments on that since I thought that was only necessary to address a particular situation. I believe that it was always intended that SP4 could be used to either sliptream to create a new integrated install source OR be installed live to an existing installation, just like all official MS service packs can be used. Hopefully, if that is not currently the case, that capability can be restored.

Cheers and Regaards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:09 am

well, the first post does now say, it can be SLIPSTREAMED. It may have always said that, but I dont recall reading such. Which is why I installed on LIVE install. Slipstreaming is so much better

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:18 am

GH0st wrote:
I wanted to SLIPSTREAM the USP4 as well, but, there was reference (in this thread) to ONLY add USP4 to a LIVE install of windows ... thus I made the SP3 ISO, did a full install of it, then LIVE install of USP4.

Once again, this was mentioned as the proper/supported way to do it. So is my ONLY reason for doing what I did.
Must be referring to this (dated 28 Oct) ??
harkaz wrote: Do not upgrade from previous SP builds using Windows XP SP4 integrated (slipstreamed) CD-ROM. You may face several issues with several out-of-date components that are not updated by design. I recommend using the SP4 live installer instead!

Also, DO NOT repair a Gold, SP1, SP2, SP3 Windows Install using SP4 integrated media!

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:59 am

Probably so, =[FEAR]=JIGSAW. The second point is consistent with other SP behavior. You should always only repair an installation using the same SP level that was, and still is, installed. The first point should probably be clarified since I personally find it confusing. Hopefully harkaz will do so.

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:25 am

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW wrote:Must be referring to this (dated 28 Oct) ??
Yeah, it was recent. I came here to get the latest from user_hidden, saw the updated stuff from USP4, so decided to give it a try, all about a week or so ago.

I will do another fresh install, soon as the next release is made

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:53 am

The clarification of point one is a scenario almost unheard of anymore. You can run a xp cd from within xp and upgrade\repair your current installation with it. That is what is being referred to.

I have slip-streamed several of the last few builds to my MSDN copy for testing. I personally suggest using a gold\vanilla\sp0 copy of XP for integration. It is the cleanest and most space saving way. I can do a comparison chart of files and sizes final iso's result it if anyone's interested.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:58 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:I personally suggest using a gold\vanilla\sp0 copy of XP for integration. It is the cleanest and most space saving way.
Yup, Have been using my SP0 since 2002, love it!

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks Kel. So the two points were essentially saying the same thing. Don't use SP4 to upgrade or repair an installation that was not made using SP4. If you need to do such a thing, use the SP4 live installer instead. Which makes sense. I believe that is also consistent with the way you should generally use any of XP's service packs. I think it is great that harkaz has tried his best to make SP4 behave as close to the way that the official XP SP's behave.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Cheers and Reagards
Last edited by bphlpt on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:56 pm

1. SP4 CAN BE SLIPSTREAMED. This has been in the first post since a long time ago (certainly since Beta 3 version).
2. The SP0 to SP4 CD-ROM Upgrade issues are described in one of the tutorial videos (MCE2002 to MCE2005 Upgrade). Take a look to see what glitches are involved.

3. Peerblock issue is related with xpfixit.inf. Working on that...

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:29 pm

Removing this key fixes the issue:

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TZ",0,"MEZ-1MESZ-2"

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:54 pm

harkaz wrote:1. SP4 CAN BE SLIPSTREAMED. This has been in the first post since a long time ago (certainly since Beta 3 version).
2. The SP0 to SP4 CD-ROM Upgrade
Let me verify again, as I'm still not sure.

Can I slip stream USP4 into a SP0 source, with OUT doing SP3 first? Or do I need to take my SP0 source slipstream it with official SP3, then slipstream it to USP4? (from this point forward)?

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:55 pm

I want to perform some additional tests before releasing this build. Please be patient until I've finished all my tests tomorrow.

@GH0st YES, you can slipstream SP4 at any SP level.
Last edited by harkaz on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:56 pm

harkaz wrote: Removing this key fixes the issue:

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TZ",0,"MEZ-1MESZ-2"
You are "THE MAN"

I did delete this from registry, REBOOT was needed, this did fix the misreported time issues in Peerblock and ESET Nod32 v8!!!!!!

Great job!!

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:59 pm

harkaz wrote:@GH0st YES, you can slipstream SP4 at any SP level.
Great to hear, as soon as you are ready to realse the next, I will do a SP0 slipped to USP4, nlite to add drivers and minor tweaks, than do a FRESH install!!!

Matter fact, if you want me to try this tonight, you can send me a torrent link, so I can DL

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Discovered another issue with WIC and xpfixit (most likely). I'm working on it right now.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:40 pm

UPDATE: It's not related with xpfixit.inf. Trying to narrow it down.

There are some security enhancements in hivecls.inf as well. These may be responsible for this issue.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Issue fixed. I will start uploading very soon.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks, harkaz. :)

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:04 am

Thank you, I will DL torrent now, and share through tonight, then tomorro, do a fresh install, Slipstreaming directly from SP0 to USP4

EDIT: DOOOOOOOH, no torrent yet

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:13 am

Sorry for the delay... I had to fix a glitch in live installer and then it was too late to upload. In 2 hours I will have access to my system and uploading will start.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:41 am

Thanks!

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:53 am

Download hashes and torrent are available.

This version of SP4 Final has undergone extensive testing. It has been tested successfully in the following scenario:

Clean Install -> Install .NET Framework 4.0 -> Install Visual Studio 2005 Standard ENU-> Run Microsoft Update and install all updates -> Install Visual Studio 2008 Profesional ENU -> Run Microsoft Update and install updates (these include some Office 2007 ones) -> Install Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate -> Run Microsoft Update and install updates.

All components have been serviced successfully.

This version fixes:

- A time zone issue reported by GH0st
- An important problem with WIC in CD-ROM installations. This would cause several .NET programs to crash.
- Regression issue with Rosebud 12 and Office 2007 servicing.
- urlmon.dll is missing after slipstreaming.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:19 am

Don't start downlaoding because .NET Framework 4.0 servicing needs some extra fixes.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:26 pm

To give you an idea of the complexity of the servicing issue I'll tell you that's only caused after installing VS2010 SP1 - which installs a .NET FW GDR update. This breaks component registration.

I will try to make necessary changes so that this update will not do this.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Question, wouldnt it be easier, to NOT include the dotNET at all? Just allow the other people who specialize in these type of AIO (all in one) installers, to continue to make them. Not include Flash, Jave, dotNET, ect ect ect?

AiO for WinXP x86 by Dimpel

Just like you KICK ASS with this USP4, Dimpel KICKS ASS with AIO

Just a thought is all. As all the same problems may still exsist regardless of when these additional programs get installed

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:58 pm

If the problems occur regardless of when the additional programs get installed, then I think it is better that harkaz finds out and fixes the problems as he is doing now, assuming, of course, that it is still possible to update Flash, Java, and dotNET with future updates as those updates come out, as appropriate. After all, for those folks that are going to install and use those programs anyway, it is easier to have fewer things to install.

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:31 pm

yeah, thats why I said what I said at the end, as it still may exsist regardless if its installed with the SP or after. I was just thinking to reduce the size and possible the problems asssociated with this whole process.

Either way, Harkaz is totally dedicated and fearless with this project!

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:32 pm

@GH0ST, bphlpt This issue is specific with VS2010 SP1 installation. The issue can be fixed using the .NET Framework Repair tool. Howewer, I will try integrate the fix in the SP4 Final to ensure maximum reliability.
I have found some missing entries in component registration which may be responsible.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Thank you!!

In the past, I have always used nLite to remove all .NET, then on first boot, I would use the .NET repair tool to remove all traces of all .NET .... reboot, then use the AIO installer, to install all options present. Goes like a charm!

I will allow my future ISO to install as you set it to ... then get updates thru MS update.

Thanks again!

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:00 pm

@GH0St Windows XP SP4 Clean install is customizable:
If you don't want to have .NET FW 1.1 at Clean Install (disabled by default) use the "patched" netfx11.inf.
If you don't want to have .NET FW 3.5 at Clean Install use the "patched" netfx35.inf.
If you want to have .NET FW 4.0 use the "patched" netfx40.inf...

and so on for all components.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:51 pm

In this build I will also try to enable uninstallation of .NET Framework 3.5 updates.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:09 pm

harkaz wrote:@GH0St Windows XP SP4 Clean install is customizable:
If you don't want to have .NET FW 1.1 at Clean Install (disabled by default) use the "patched" netfx11.inf.
If you don't want to have .NET FW 3.5 at Clean Install use the "patched" netfx35.inf.
If you want to have .NET FW 4.0 use the "patched" netfx40.inf...

and so on for all components.
Thats good to know!! I prefer to have them all installed, patched, ready to be used, should a program need them. I really only use 2.0 and 4.0, but there has been a thing or two that uses the 3.5. So best to put that in too!

Maybe for your pack, make them all NOT install, but can be thru the ADD or REMOVE applet in control panel, options for install with in the operating system.

I suspect everyone has the need for 2.0, have that install by default. Then the rest be an option to install after it boots to desktop.

This could steam line the process some, still have the option later and not need to mess with alternative INF's

Just a thought is all!

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:12 pm

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:39 pm

@GH0st I have decided that .NET Framework 1.1 will be installed only in live installs. It won't be installed in CD-ROM installs by default. The reason is that .NET FW 1.1 can cause some minor glitches in Windows XP Home Edition, when installed in Windows Setup. In addition it's not required in a Clean install. On the other hand it may be necessary in live installations, to update any existing versions of .NET Framework 1.x installed.

EDIT: Still .NET Framework 1.1 will be used (non-removable) in MCE2005.

NEWS: Working on .NET Framework 3.5 servicing. I have prepared a bunch of fixes and I've started testing.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Sounds good!

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:40 am

Run gpedit.msc, User Configuration --> Administrative Templates

there is no options there, that are normally there!

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:43 am

Live or CD-ROM install or both? I can't reproduce in Clean install.
Also which SKU?

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:11 pm

harkaz wrote:Live or CD-ROM install or both? I can't reproduce in Clean install. Also which SKU?
I started with a XP Pro (corporate edition) SP0, used RVM Integrator to SLIPSTREAM SP3, made ISO, installed, once at desktop I then did a LIVE install of USP4

It may not be worth the effort to searching and fixxing, that since I NOW know I can slipstream USP4 into my SP0, I will do it this way.

So forget it, I will take note of this and see if its broke in the NEXT release! Cancel this for now

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:26 pm

UPDATE: Completed fixing .NET Framework 3.5 servicing. Now .NET Framework 3.5 will behave like a MSI install with all updates installed. The installation process will take a few more minutes because the basic MSI patches must be installed at T13/Runonce to ensure proper servicing.

In addition .NET Framework 3.5 is now fully compatible with the .NET Framework Repair tool. So does .NET Framework 4.0.