Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 4

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:28 pm

bphlpt wrote:That might benefit noobies, but anyone who is familiar at all with torrents would know that they could deselect what they don't need from the torrent as it is.

Cheers and Regards
yeah ... just seen some large downloads from me, and I cant imagine they need the 2gb MUI

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:17 pm

...especially when the MUI is the same as the one in the 3.1a torrent. ;)

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:07 pm

5eraph wrote:...especially when the MUI is the same as the one in the 3.1a torrent. ;)
Yup!

Just got my internet bill in, I did 127gb of bandwidth last month, which is ok, cause I got 250gb cap

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:16 am

Someone (who ever did it first time) should get back in contact with Majorgeeks dot Com, get them to update the file they have on their site

Stormit

About Update Pack.

Post by Stormit » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:07 pm

PS: These files are only available through the link on this site.:)
Last edited by Stormit on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:41 am

How I can enable netfx 4.0 on mce 2005, because files are presented on the disk, under '.\CMPNENTS\netfx40' but netfx is not available for selection on add/remove components page?

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:14 am

Add this entry to sysoc.inf:

Netfx40=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,netfx40.inf,,7

Remember that .NET FW 4.0 has some incompatibilities with the Media Center Guide.

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:02 am

:idea:

I think will be useful on the main post to be added all Windows XP Editions (with kernel 5.1) that are supported by SP4.

Something like:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows XP RTM/Gold/SP0; SP1; SP1a; SP2; SP2b; SP3:
- Starter
- Home Edition
- Home Edition K
- Home Edition KN
- Home Edition N
- Professional
- Professional K
- Professional KN
- Professional N
- Media Center 2002, 2004, 2005
- Tablet PC 2003, 2005.

- Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (WinFLP) is not supported.
- XP Professional x64-bit Edition is not supported because has kernel version 5.2 same as Server 2003.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Components section detailed which can be added in 'DISK\i386\WINNT.SIF' itself:
;Components details:

;ZoneGames = Accessories and Utilities \ Games\ Internet Games--[Enabled by default]
;BLTG = Bitlocker to Go Reader----------------------------------[Installed by default]
;Fax = Fax Services
;IndexSrv_System = Indexing Service
;IEAccess = Internet Explorer 8 (Start Menu Access)-------------[Enabled by default]
;fp_extensions = IIS \ FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions
;Netfx11 = Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1-------------------------[Not installed by default; with exception: Always install on MCE, but hidden]
;Netfx35 = Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5-------------------------[Installed by default] (Pre-req: XPS Services)
;Netfx40 = Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0-------------------------[Not Installed by default; Not supported** under: MCE, Home N, Home KN, Pro N, Pro KN, Starter)
;**To be able to enable insert this line: Netfx40=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,netfx40.inf,,7 in 'sysoc.inf', but remember that .NET FW 4.0 has some incompatibilities.
;MSXML40 = Microsoft MSXML 4.0 SP3------------------------------[Installed by default]
;msnexplr = MSN Explorer 10.5 (Start menu link)-----------------[Installed by default]
;OEAccess = Outlook Express-------------------------------------[Enabled by default]
;RootAutoUpdate = Update Root Certificates
;WGANotify = Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications------------[Disabled by default, Live installer will disable it.]
;WMPOCM = Windows Media Player 11 (Start Menu Access)-----------[Enabled by default]
;pwrshell = Windows PowerShell 2.0------------------------------[Disabled by default] (Pre-req: NET3.5)
;wrmc = Windows Rights Management Client------------------------[Installed by default]
;WDSearch = Windows Search 4.0----------------------------------[Not Installed by default]
;xpssvcs = XPS Services-----------------------------------------[Installed by default]

;Components which not have turn on/off switch:
; NETFX 1.0 SP3-------------------------------------------------[Installed only when required]
; Service Pack 4 Security Enhancements--------------------------[Installed by default, hidden]
; DirectX June 2010 Update--------------------------------------[Installed by default, hidden]
; Windows Messenger (Start Menu Access)-------------------------[Removed].

[Components]
ZoneGames=On
BLTG=On
Fax=On
IndexSrv_System=On
IEAccess=On
fp_extensions=On
Netfx11=On
Netfx35=On
Netfx40=On
MSXML40=On
msnexplr=On
OEAccess=On
RootAutoUpdate=On
WGANotify=Off
WMPOCM=On
pwrshell=On
wrmc=On
WDSearch=Off
xpssvcs=On

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Slipstreaming SP4 into following sources:
- XP Home Edition K SP2

- XP Home Edition K SP3
- XP Home Edition KN SP3
- XP Home Edition N SP3
- XP Professional Edition K SP3
- XP Professional Edition KN SP3
- XP Professional Edition N SP3
results with bunch of errors in text part of the setup (most of them related with missed .wav files, and couple .ddl files), and reporting missed mplay.exe into GUI part.

While live installation of the SP4 into above listed XP editions not experience any issues.

All other editions of XP work great!
Last edited by maxtorix on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:30 pm

@harkaz, I know you are done with SP4, but perhaps at some point you might be able to make one more update that can address maxtorix's posts and the latest 4GB tweak found and further tweaked by dibya - http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 261#141261. Just a thought and a hope.

Cheers and Regards my friend

jimmsta

Post by jimmsta » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:13 pm

The problem with the 4gb tweak is that it doesn't always work, and some hardware drivers can be sensitive to the 'extra' memory space. It's really not a general-purpose tweak due to the potential problems associated with it. The point of the USP project is to have an up to date service pack, not necessarily adding new functionality to the OS - which the 'tweak' essentially does add, since XP was never supposed to have such functionality in the first place.
Creator of BootZilla Utility Compilation

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Another issue on XP K-Editions (tested till now):

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:00 am

@jimmsta
Who told you that ? Server 2003 and Xp same driver model if 2k3 run those on such situation why xp not.PAE support was removed from xp since sp2 to force user to new os like xpx64 bit and 2k3. This a business man trick
If this tweak was possible in 9x then it is a poblem but in case of xp? are you wants make me aprill fool. Just kidding
Reason why there should be no problem ::
WinXp use nt kerenal so it is impossible to find barely any relation between a
driver. Xp s kerenal never allow anyone to touch any system hidden core it is surelly a mordern os. common drivers should work as they dependent on apis of hals and kerenals not on how the os works(only few usb driver miss behave). Os miss behaves because microsoft introduced a new api since sp2 so that if some body get this pae working , he will get some problems. To prevent this a extra offset need to patched with IDA or HXD by 9090 hex value to prevent microsofts trick to work
Last edited by Dibya on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:09 am

@maxtorix
2k & 2k3 users are very less.
But still xp is owing a major market share so mfi for xp is required also you had made for vista then why? not for xp.
Reason people still prefer xp:
* it is fast
* It is lightweight
* Patched for decade so finding bug is something like finding needle from sand dunes of big desert
* posready updates are fully compatible with xp
* faster transfer of data via LAN network
* Ease of use
* Xp with limited acount is nightmare for viruses and hackers(remember user it self is best antivirus)
* More FPS in games
* Most of the essential old software are compatible.
* It can run lightning fast on p4 to a i7 pc
* Large support from community
* millions of comunity resoarce
* About 15yrs old so troubleshooting is much easier
* Easily can be tweaked for skuizing bits of more performance from pc
* Internet speed is 17% faster as compare to nt6.x line oses
Even you people will believe or not . My xpsp3 with all update iso is only 180mb and it only consume 124mb running esed smart secuirity , IDM and malware byte antiexploit

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:56 am

@maxtorix I've integrated SP4 into K/KN/N with no problems. There is a trick with the tag files which have to be added:

WIN51KNIC/WIN51KNIP tag files for KN Home\pro
WIN51KIC/WIN51KIP for K Home\Pro
WIN51NIC/WIN51NIP for N Home\Pro

Check my Google+ or visit my blog from the WWW button of my profile to get the SP4 N ISOs I offer.

The live installer issue is trivial. No one really needs these links there (I don't know if they're still working). I don't know what causes this, but it has to be related to a post-install command.

@bphlpt I have added Dibya's patch to patched SP4 in VM with no BSODs.
The 4GB RAM is optional anyway and users can choose which patch suits them best.

I will add references to main post.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:51 am

@harkaz,

Thanks as always for your prompt attention!

Cheers and Regards

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 pm

harkaz wrote:@maxtorix I've integrated SP4 into K/KN/N with no problems. There is a trick with the tag files which have to be added:

WIN51KNIC/WIN51KNIP tag files for KN Home\pro
WIN51KIC/WIN51KIP for K Home\Pro
WIN51NIC/WIN51NIP for N Home\Pro

Check my Google+ or visit my blog from the WWW button of my profile to get the SP4 N ISOs I offer.

The live installer issue is trivial. No one really needs these links there (I don't know if they're still working). I don't know what causes this, but it has to be related to a post-install command.

I will add references to main post.

Hmm, how strange?! Actually problem with N/KN/N XP's editions is not in integrating/slipstreaming process in itself, but in nLite.
When out of nLite /integrate switch is used for slipstreaming then process finish without any issue.

You are right, nLite deletes mentioned tags from the working directory.

About mentioned links - they are working but how said yourself they are irrelevant because anyway XP hit its EOL.

Thanks Harkaz.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:31 pm

@maxtorix, I'm curious if RVMi integrates SP4 correctly where nLite fails. Do you happen to know?

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Speaking of which (RVMi) where can I get an link to download the newest (beta) version, an actual download link, that I don't have to make an account for

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:41 pm

I added the following link as a MIRROR in the source thread.

Link: RVM_Integrator_1.6.1b2.1.7z
Size: 870 KB
MD5: 59e713b145eeb29b218ee8eba9b3614a

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:27 pm

thanks 5eraph

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:37 pm

bphlpt wrote:@maxtorix, I'm curious if RVMi integrates SP4 correctly where nLite fails. Do you happen to know?

Cheers and Regards
Not test with RMVi till now

@Harkaz: Why WinFLP is not supported? (Of course slipstreaming is not an option with presence of semi-WIM setup way but what about live-install)
Do you know that Microsoft produced two different versions of SP3 for it?
For that you can read more here.
Is it possible to be created SP4, or something as Post-SP3 update rollup only for FLP which gonna be applicable only on a machine with WinFLP with already applied SP3?

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:04 pm

WinFLP: I know the existence of seperate installer, but this requires a seperate build process. Different OS components (less files need to be included) and one has to be very strict with system requirements. This would essentially mean a new mini-SP4 with only the essential files/registry settings updated.

Although it is possible to build a new SP4 package for WinFLP, you could try updating the wim directly inside Windows Virtual PC (not Hyper-V, it needs an older version of Microsoft emulation -> it defaults to 16-bit colors as it should). It is definitely easier and possible to do so, but you need to register some components like cryptography-related stuff, etc. Consult the FBA registry data to determine what should be registered.

How to open it for updating: Modify session manager registry hives offline before first boot so that the applied setup.wim boots at the command prompt using the SYSTEM account.
Register basic stuff required to run the special SP3 installer and all other package installers for the post-sp3 updates.
When done, boot from Windows PE and load the registry offline. Start cleaning up some preinstalled devices and prepare to generalize manually (ie cleanup network interfaces, etc.) Optionally cleanup SP install information, log and temp files.
You need to analyse how sysprep or fbareseal work in IDA Pro to get an understanding of what registry entries should be deleted.

Image capture: Update the wimgapi in the cd and capture with Windows Vista+ WIM driver (the one that comes with POSReady 2009)

About HAL: There is a special folder in System32 that includes all updated HALs so that setup program can pick the appropriate ones for the target hardware. You need to update this folder manually.

To save more space, you may consider cleaning up the DLLCache directory before capture. Keep FBA commands intact.
Update any custom installers in the ISO appropriately.

This may sound like a lot of work, but it's nothing compared to building the SP4 package installer, trust me.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:57 pm

5eraph wrote:Link: RVM_Integrator_1.6.1b2.1.7z

Size: 870KB - MD5: 59e713b145eeb29b218ee8eba9b3614a
TY

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:10 am

@harkaz: I wish I knew how to do all that :(((

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:14 pm

@maxtorix No wonder that even Microsoft did not bother to update the WinFLP ISO.

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:49 pm

harkaz wrote:@maxtorix No wonder that even Microsoft did not bother to update the WinFLP ISO.
Maybe the question has no sense, but I was interested in one specific thing:
Is it hard multiple hotfixes to be merged into one update rollup (big update file)? Not need that update to be able for integration in the installation media.
I think that FLP is not worth for any effort at all, but I asked the question from collector's reason.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:04 pm

It is way easier. You'll need however to be careful with the main catalog file. Installing a custom CAT file signed by you may cause problems. (In SP4, the sp4.cat file is a renamed sp3.cat file and all the new signing is done by sp4cmp.cat, which is installed separately). So this requires some testing. But certainly it's way easier than building a Service Pack. You could actually automate its creation rather easily.

Stormit

About Updates

Post by Stormit » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:22 pm

PS: These files are only available through the link on this site.:)

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Added a note about the latest .NET Framework 4.0 update in the first post:

IMPORTANT: There is an issue with post-sp4 .NET FW 4.0 updates I would like to report, which is not caused by the SP4 itself. (This also applied to legacy version 2.0).

Scenario: Install SP4 -> Enable .NET Framework 4.0-> Run Windows Update Manual Check. -> Install Updates -> reboot -> Installed all updates successfully -> Run Windows Update Manual Check.

You will get the old .NET Framework 4 GDR update (KB2468871) in the optional updates.
Reason: This happens because one of the newest updates deletes the:
HKLM, "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile\KB2468871" and
HKLM, "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended Profile\KB2468871"registry keys.

These keys are necessary to satisfy the WU detection algorithm for the XP product family (not the POSReady one), but they play no other significant role whatsoever; this is actually a flaw in WU detection algorithm.

SOLUTION: You can let Windows Update download and install the update automatically (it should not be removed afterwards).

®ich

Post by ®ich » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks for keeping "your finger on the pulse" harkaz.
Unrelated: Loving your 2015 LTSB Privacy version. That is what 10 for desktop should have been in the first place.
Regards, ®

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:49 pm

Lets also remind ourselves, that with any update to the DotNet software, we need to re-optimize ...

** .NET 4 optimization **

- always RUN this command: (copy/paste into Command Prompt)

%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executequeueditems

Then ... REBOOT!

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:09 pm

GH0st wrote:Lets also remind ourselves, that with any update to the DotNet software, we need to re-optimize ...

** .NET 4 optimization **

- always RUN this command: (copy/paste into Command Prompt)

%systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executequeueditems

Then ... REBOOT!
If NET4 is not enabled as component, but is installed by original installer is it this command needed under sp4?

Is it this needed under SP3 with NET4 installed via original installer - i.e. this command will boost performance there also or is a issue only under sp4?

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:04 pm

If you have recently updated and got an update for the dotNet pack, run this command to cause an optimization to occur now, rather then when it gets to it ... if ever!

If you run this command and there is no work to be done, you have not hurt yourself. It just wont run!

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 am

@maxtorix This should be done on SP3 machines as well. It is a .NET Framework 4.0 issue, not a bug in SP4.

I have documented it since .NET FW 4.0 is part of XP SP4.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:36 pm

@MaXstorix
Have you tried installing USp4 over Vista Omega 13?
Please check your PM

schmatzler

Post by schmatzler » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:36 pm

What's the easiest way to integrate SATA drivers (iastor.sys) into a SP4 ISO?

NLite doesn't work. I can integrate the driver with an SP3 iso, but with an SP4 ISO it's not being recognized.

Integrating SP4 over the SATA SP3 ISO doesn't work either. :(

Please don't tell me I have to edit SIF files, I'm trying this for half a day now and it's way over my head.

Edit: Nevermind, driverpacks.net helped me out with this :)

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:55 am

nLite does work! I do it all the time. Not only do I integrate the AHCI drivers but the Intel driver INF pack, so on first boot, I have all the latest drivers installed. Done this millions of times!

cuzinbob02

Post by cuzinbob02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:58 am

Why do you not like the driverpacks nethod? That's the easiest way. If you want to do it the hard way OK. good luck with that.

cuzinbob02

Post by cuzinbob02 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:50 am

I am sorry that a lot of times I do not understand what the posts really are saying. I use the the driverpacks method as it the way I have always done this. For me it is the easiest as it works for me. That does not mean it is the best way. I think direct driver intergration with nlite is better but it's so restrictive in that you absolutely need to know exactly what hardware you have so you intergrate the correct drivers. The driverpacks method is less inclusive in that respect.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:31 pm

cuzinbob02 wrote:I am sorry that a lot of times I do not understand what the posts really are saying. I use the the driverpacks method as it the way I have always done this. For me it is the easiest as it works for me. That does not mean it is the best way. I think direct driver intergration with nlite is better but it's so restrictive in that you absolutely need to know exactly what hardware you have so you intergrate the correct drivers. The driverpacks method is less inclusive in that respect.
Not true, my Intel INF driver pack, has everything from 815 chipset thru the Ivy Bridge motherboards. It will install the latest drivers for these motherboards. Then I also include the AHCI driver, so I can get best speed from my hard drive. This installs the drivers during the OS set up, rather then driver packs way of AFTER the OS install.

The benefit to driver pack is you can add all the other stuff with it too, wifi, nic, motherboard, SATA, video card, ect ect ect ... But I dont want to do all this. Just AHCI and mobo drivers. I will do the others one at a time, the old fashion way. This give me the best stability, rock solid, and best speed.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:33 pm

cuzinbob02 wrote:Why do you not like the driverpacks nethod? That's the easiest way. If you want to do it the hard way OK. good luck with that.
nLite is the easiest way, with no doubt! Best thing with nLite is ... you don't need LUCK, its just works, every single time, no luck needed! Been doing this for years and years and years, 100's of times never an issue, no LUCK ever needed!

cuzinbob02

Post by cuzinbob02 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:02 am

The post I made was towards the newb having problems, not to an expert like yourself. If you were offended I'm sorry. I wasn't talking to you actually.

cuzinbob02

Post by cuzinbob02 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:26 am

Have you heard of Fernando 1? He is the expert of SATA/AHCI driver intergration? He has three seperate drivers which are those for Intel, nforce, and AMD motherboards. Here is a quote by him;" If you have done everything the right way, but the XP Setup will not detect the SATA hdd running in AHCI mode, you obviously have integrated a textmode driver, which is not suitable for the Southbridge chip of the mainboard."

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:45 am

cuzinbob02 wrote:Have you heard of Fernando 1? He is the expert of SATA/AHCI driver intergration? He has three seperate drivers which are those for Intel, nforce, and AMD motherboards. Here is a quote by him;" If you have done everything the right way, but the XP Setup will not detect the SATA hdd running in AHCI mode, you obviously have integrated a textmode driver, which is not suitable for the Southbridge chip of the mainboard."
I know Fernando, for years, been using his drivers for years! Fully support his awesomeness!!!

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:13 pm

Added a link to Fernando 1's quote for those unfamiliar with him. :)

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:43 am

@GHost
I also use fernado's intel ahci mod for my skylake pc (Intel corei7 6700k)

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:14 am

Dibya wrote:@GHost
I also use fernado's intel ahci mod for my skylake pc (Intel corei7 6700k)
Love the hard work he has put into this over the years, testing testing and more testing! Glad to see he is still got stuff for the newer chipsets/mobo's. Mine is old as crap, Intel C2Q with ICH9 on the south. Its a Sata II, but a cheap SSD hd ($40 Kingston) with Fernando's driver will get my HD burst speed from 190mps to 250mps, thats the burst, I will always hang at 220-230 sustained, but burst at 250. So a $40 SSD, will bring new life back into this old OS and old hardware. Dont forget the low access time.
Last edited by GH0st on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:38 am

Really true fernados mod is best

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:10 am

Another gift for package installer fans:

A first update.exe/sxs.dll patch that may allow installation of non-signed side-by-side assemblies (in asms).
Developed this while working for Dibya's requested update package.

Link: https://mega.nz/#F!ddUBCJjT!sBlAhFjn88bU5xE5H2WALQ

These files should be placed into the \update folder inside the XP package you want to modify.