[RELEASE]-InspiratSE Theme Transfomation Addon

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Halfwalker

Start button and taskbar don't change

Post by Halfwalker » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:38 pm

OK, this is weird. I've been using this beautiful theme pack for a while now, and it's always been perfect. But recently over the last couple of months, there seems to be a small problem.

It no longer applies the changes to the Start button or the Taskbar. I can't get them to apply at all. The normal InspiratSE should have that cool image for the Start button - no more, it still looks like the old Start button.

I haven't had time to delve into it much, but now I'm finally starting. The last iso I built was a raw XP Pro Corp with SP2, then nLite to customize, then Bashrat driverpacs, and finally RVM_Integrator 1.4.1 to apply ONLY the RVMUpdatePack2.1.2.7z pack and InspiratSEModv1.1Def_Addon_dgelwin.cab addon. That didn't work - still have the rotten old Start button.

So I'm now in the process of building another iso - same as above, but no UpdatePack2.1.2, just the InspiratSE addon. We'll see. If that doesn't work, I'll back it all the way down to raw XP Pro SP2 and apply the theme manually, then work up from there.

Has anyone seen this before ?

DC

EDIT 10:05pm EST

OK - that worked. An iso with plain XP Pro Corp with SP2, nLite'd, Bashrat'd and with ONLY the InspiratSEModv1.1Def_Addon_dgelwin.cab addon applied works fine. The clean small bar Start button is back.

So it seems to be something in the RVMUpdatePack2.1.2.7z pack causing the problem. I'll do the iso again with the UpdatePack to make sure ...

EDIT 9/20/2006 8am EST

OK, there's definitely something in the RVMUpdatePack2.1.2 that is causing the theme to mess up. It loses the capability to change the Start button and the look of the taskbar.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:37 am

I'm going to suggest that something is going on with your patching of uxtheme. You may want to check that visual style addon and see if there is an included uxtheme.dll file and if so it needs to go.

I've found that using either nLite or Zacam's patch addon properly patches the file.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:25 am

uxtheme.dll was my guess too.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Halfwalker

Post by Halfwalker » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:57 am

I'm wondering if it's the uxtheme.dll that is in the RVMUpdatePack2.1.2 ... My last test went like this :

Copy XP Pro Corp with SP2 to working dir.
nLite that dir applying various nLite'ish changes, including the uxthemes patch.
Apply Bashrat driverpacks (all)
Run RVMIntegrator 1.4.1, and apply ONLY the Inspirat addon

Build an iso, then boot into VMWare. This works. Nice bar type Start button.

Now use RVMIntegrator 1.4.1 again to apply ONLY the RVMUpdatePack2.1.2.

Another iso, another boot into VMWare - Bam - Start button is munged. I have the I386 dir from after the Bashrat application saved aside. I'm going to put the uxthemes.dll from that into the test dir and redo the iso. That should be the nLite patched one, overwriting the one that came from RVMUpdatePack2.1.2 ...

Stay tuned.

DC.

EDIT 1pm EST

Bingo - that worked. So the uxthemes.dll that is included in the RVMUpdatepack2.1.2 messes it up.

techtype

Post by techtype » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:08 pm

Halfwalker wrote:I'm wondering if it's the uxtheme.dll that is in the RVMUpdatePack2.1.2 ... My last test went like this :

Copy XP Pro Corp with SP2 to working dir.
nLite that dir applying various nLite'ish changes, including the uxthemes patch.
Apply Bashrat driverpacks (all)
Run RVMIntegrator 1.4.1, and apply ONLY the Inspirat addon

Build an iso, then boot into VMWare. This works. Nice bar type Start button.

Now use RVMIntegrator 1.4.1 again to apply ONLY the RVMUpdatePack2.1.2.

Another iso, another boot into VMWare - Bam - Start button is munged. I have the I386 dir from after the Bashrat application saved aside. I'm going to put the uxthemes.dll from that into the test dir and redo the iso. That should be the nLite patched one, overwriting the one that came from RVMUpdatePack2.1.2 ...

Stay tuned.

DC.

EDIT 1pm EST

Bingo - that worked. So the uxthemes.dll that is included in the RVMUpdatepack2.1.2 messes it up.
You have just enough knowledge to be dangerous- as they say. Noting personal though! You were given the correct answer above.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:18 pm

The version in 2.1.2 is 6.0.2900.2845 and it's been there for awhile. Patching for it via the Integrator is available in the "System File Patches" thread located in my signature. I know that neither version of Inspirat that I have includes a uxtheme.dll or the code to patch it via integrator so there is no conflict unless you're using another (unlisted) theme addon that does. (At which point, if it's patching an already patched UXTHEME.DLL file via the integrator it will tell you, nLite doesn't tell you wether or not it's patching a previously patched file or not.)

Further, I have verified that nLite 1.0.1 patches that version of uxtheme in exactly the same location to the exact same values as the integrator addon. So again, the problem lies elsewhere.

If you apply ONLY the RVMUpdatePack, that DLL by default is untouched. Meaning that running unsigned themes will NOT work. You have to, at the least, run only the UpdatePack, the Theme in question and then patch uxtheme.dll with either the integrator addon or nLite.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:16 pm

to sum it up.. you munged the order of your build, you did your patching THEN did your update pack.. which basically UN-patched your uxtheme.dll file :)

your cd will work if you patch for themes LAST

TechnoHunter

Halfwalker

Post by Halfwalker » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Yup - I know that. But earlier experience showed that applying nLite to a RVM'd image caused problems. It was a while ago, so I can't be more specific than that unfortunately. But after several iterations, this seemed to be the most stable order (except for uxthemes.dll which is now take care of).

nLite
Bashrat
RVM

Note - this order has been working for a long time here. It's only in the last month or two that the theme mess-up happened. Were earlier uxtheme.dll files already patched in the RVMUpdatePack ?

Whatever - it works now so I'm a happy camper :)

DC.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:06 am

Halfwalker wrote:Were earlier uxtheme.dll files already patched in the RVMUpdatePack ?
No ryan everytime uses original files in his pack. there were hacked addons which he built.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:14 am

I included a hacked uxtheme.dll back in the like 1.0.x era of the Update Pack, but they were removed from version 1.2.0 (February 2005) and beyond.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Timks

Post by Timks » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:17 pm

I am not able to download from that site. Can someone mirror it please?

[EDIT] Never mind. I did not see the download link in the upper left corner.
Thanks - RyanVM, Nuhi, Kelsenellenelvian, Bâshrat the Sneaky, Foxy, Siginet, Rappinhood, Mrs Peel, Ricktendo64, Xable, Zacam and the people on this board for all your hard work.