RyanVM Update Pack 2.1.11 - Released June 25, 2007

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:07 pm

MMC is and has always been squirrely. On one of my management workstations it crashes without fail everytime I close it. I don't know actually if it's MMC or some of the snap-ins that really cause the most problems. The Symantec System Center Console and the WSUS 3.0 snap-ins seem to be the worst offenders.

boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:43 pm

Thought i would just mention that Adobe Flash Player 9.0.47.0 is now available. Sorry if this isnt the correct place to post this :(.

Here is the link http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

rickytheanuj
Banned

Post by rickytheanuj » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 am

rickytheanuj wrote:RyanVM,

I m unable to .msc (services.msc & gpedit.msc) when i use upr v2.1.11 update pack on my unattended. It Show following error

I found that these is due to mmc.exe and it's supported file. When i update i found these files are replaced by new version, so i have doubt that , these files which is in your update pack have some problem.

Is that?

or due to other cause ...

first i thought that , this is due to Nr'sIE71.05a..
Because, in same time when i tried to open Internet option of IE7 integrated. I faced following error

Now i m being sure that these all is due to integrating IE7.
How?

when i reinstall IE7 on IE7 integrated windows. It did not shows both (IE & MMC) of errors any more.

"Now i m integrating windows again but except IE7. I will install it later when the windows installation will complete"

After this experiment i hope my problem will get solved.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:35 am

ok well i think i may have found the hotfix thats responsible for my mce problem,KB935839 seems to trouble users that update their windows.ive found a topic concerning this,but i dont know if it would cause uppon integration the problem i described earlyer .

Topic

oh and, id realy appreciate if sum one could test the updatepack on their mce
to see if they have the same problem.thx
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

code65536

Post by code65536 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:05 am

bober101 wrote:ok well i think i may have found the hotfix thats responsible for my mce problem,KB935839 seems to trouble users that update their windows.ive found a topic concerning this,but i dont know if it would cause uppon integration the problem i described earlyer .

Topic

oh and, id realy appreciate if sum one could test the updatepack on their mce
to see if they have the same problem.thx
Well, KB935839 broke a number of things because of some rebasing that Microsoft did in the DLLs. Just a day or two after KB935839, Microsoft issues a patch that fixed some of the problems, and then yet another patch to fix some more problems a week or so later, but the nature of these subsequent patches are such that they only patch up some of the resulting problems and they don't directly tackle the source of the problem itself (the rebasing), so it is not surprising--almost to be expected, even--that problems still persist.

(KB935839 is a classic example of how GDRs are by no means immune from regressions and of how official fixes can be just as unpleasant if not more than request-only ones; and before someone points out that KB935839 was released out-of-cycle and was thus "rushed", they had worked on KB935839 for nearly half a year and had the patch in its current form ready for some time.)

galileo

Post by galileo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:52 pm

I have an interesting issue with Update Pack 2.1.11 versus Update Pack 2.1.10 - The 2.1.11 pack blue screens the Windows Setup with the message:

File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\ntkrnlmp.exe cannot be loaded.
The error code is 4

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

This condition does not occur with Update Pack 2.1.10. I am integrating ONLY the Update Pack into a fresh XP SP2 source. I am using a Dell 4600C 2.4GHz P4 w/ 512 MB RAM and w/ 40 GB disk with 3 partitions - C, D, and E. Windows XP Home SP2 fully updated (July) is installed on the C drive and is used as the working environment from which to prepare the integrations and initiate the installs (by starting Setup.exe from the install point). The D drive contains the installation files (i.e. it is the install point source as in a networked install share). The E drive is the intended install location (i.e. the target). The intent is to provide two XP installs on the hard drive and thus, a multi-boot environment.

This approach and environment have been previously successfully installed several times using either a Dell Reinstallation CD (XP Home SP1) or a full MS Retail CD (XP Pro SP2). Thus, proven to work successfully using mixed XP Home / XP Pro or pure XP Home / XP Home or pure XP Pro / XP Pro pairings. All three possible scenarios have been successfully installed and work.

I have prepared the integrations and verified the installs for the following scenarios:

Success: Dell XP Home SP1 CD + SP2 slipstream (nlite 1.35) - no RVM Update packs
Success: MS XP Pro SP2 CD - no RVM Update packs
Success: Dell XP Home SP1 CD + SP2 slipstream (nlite 1.35) + RVM 2.1.10 Update Pack (nlite 1.35)
Success: MS XP Pro SP2 CD + RVM 2.1.10 Update Pack (nlite 1.35)
Success: MS XP Pro SP2 CD + RVM 2.1.10 Update Pack (Integrator 1.4.3)

Failure: Dell XP Home SP1 CD + SP2 slipstream (nlite 1.35) + RVM 2.1.11 Update Pack (nlite 1.35)
Failure: MS XP Pro SP2 CD + RVM 2.1.11 Update Pack (nlite 1.35)
Failure: MS XP Pro SP2 CD + RVM 2.1.11 Update Pack (Integrator 1.4.3)

The integrations utilized ONLY the Update Packs and NO addons. In the nlite integrations there were NO other customizations performed (i.e. no removals, no hotfixes or addons, no drivers, no Options, no Tweaks). The intent was to have a clean comparison between the Update Packs.

I did burn install CDs for the first and third Failure conditions and got the same BSOD and error messages during the setup install.

Without taking toooooo great a leap off the edge......it appears that there is some change between the 2.1.10 and 2.1.11 packs that is affecting the ability to load the install files during the Windows Setup.

I have not had the time as of yet to start drilling down hotfix by hotfix to find the offending item. But, there does appear to be something specific to the 2.1.11 Update Pack that is killing the install.

Any thoughts gang....????

code65536

Post by code65536 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:22 am

1) Google search for the error code. Have you tried a 2.1.10 install after a failed 2.1.11 install to make sure that 2.1.10 still works (to rule out hardware faults).

2) Find a list of the changed files (pay attention only to .sy_, .ex_, and .dl_ files; the rest you should be able to ignore) between 2.1.10 and 2.1.11. Start with a working 2.1.10 install, and start to copy these changed files from the 2.1.11 I386. And see which file causes the break.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:42 am

Anti-Virus?
please look at ntkrnlmp.ex_ in your I386 folder. is it a 36-byte file?
and look at ntkrnlmp.exe in drivers.cab, is it there?
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

galileo

Post by galileo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:00 pm

@code65536:

yep - did the Google search (all the way to the proverbial end of the web <g>). Error 4 generally seems to relate to bad RAM chips and/or bad hardware - typically the CD drive. Neither are the issue in this case for two reasons:

1) the machine has a perfectly running installation of XP Home on it which indicates full memory and for which the CD/DVD drive works correctly; and

2) I have made successful installs of the Dell XP Home SP1, the Dell XP Home SP2, the XP Pro SP2, and finally the Dell XP Home SP2 with 2.1.10 pack AFTER the failed install attempts. So, the hardware issues would seem to be ruled out. I will be starting a "triage" on the 2.1.10 pack by sequentially adding the 2.1.11 changes and hopefully can trap the error in the next day or two.

@yumeyao:

Not an AV issue - neither virus nor AV interference....I am using Clamwin (on demand only) for the moment. And, I have prepared all of the installs both sucessful and failed from within the same environment. Your second point is of considerable interest !!! Here are the results from the some of the various builds for the ntkrnlmp.ex_

Source / I386 folder / driver.cab

Dell XP Home SP1 (original Dell CD) / 871 KB / 1854 KB
Dell XP Home SP2 (slipstream) / 1014 KB / 1854 KB
XP Pro SP2 (MS retail CD) / 1014 KB / (not present)
Dell XP Home SP2 + RVM 2.1.10 / 1017 KB / (not present)
XP PRo SP2 + RVM 2.1.11 / 1 KB / 0 KB

I have deleted some of the other builds at this point and thus do not have the XP Pro SP2 + RVM 2.1.10 nor the Dell XP Home SP2 + RVM 2.1.11. However, the 1 KB file size certainly would seem to indicate a bust in the integration. See comment #2 above - I will be monitoring as hotfixes are added to find out what is triggering the integration bust.

THANKS for your responses - they are appreciated !!!

striker80

Post by striker80 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:05 pm

@galileo

Error code 4 means "The system cannot open the file."

I had a similar problem a couple of times. Once it was a bad DVD, (bad media), and once it was a bad .iso, (solved by reinstalling Nero). Yes I know different from what you are doing, but something to think about, (hardware, or a problem with your source Windows maybe?).

I've installed and used 2.1.10 and 2.1.11 many times, and never had a problem with either.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:42 pm

i can't understand...

XP Pro SP2 (MS retail CD) / 1014 KB / (not present) , yes ntkrnlmp.exe is not in driver.cab but in SP2.cab
Dell XP Home SP2 + RVM 2.1.10 / 1017 KB / (not present) -- as you have RVM 2.1.10 intergrated, i can't understand why it's not present.... RVMIntergrator should have combined drivers.cab and SP2.cab.

and XP PRo SP2 + RVM 2.1.11 / 1 KB / 0 KB obviously this is the error....
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

galileo

Post by galileo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:27 am

There are a number of curious results. Bear in mind that I have used nlite for some of the builds and Integrator for some of the builds. In the nlite builds I have not selected combining the Driver and SP cabs. The 2.1.10 pack has worked successfully in all builds (i.e. from all sources) with either nlite or Integrator while the 2.1.11 build has not worked with either integration approach regardless of source. There does seem to be some issue specific to the 2.1.11 pack regardless of the integration methodology employed. I intend to test integration of the 2.1.11 pack using another machine just to verify that there is not some machine specific behavior that is triggering this problem.

Additionally, I just had a successful build and installation using the Xable 3.0.1 pack along with quite a few addons from the Dell XP Home SP2 source - all done with nlite 1.35 - no nlite options or tweaks.

Broly10000

Post by Broly10000 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:46 am

That thappened to me once. I tryed doing the integrtion a few time in my PC always corrupting Driver.cab, then used the same addons and updates packs with the integrator in my GameServer and it worked flawlessly. It could be a problem with makecab.exe in my PC or something else. After using RVMAddons 1.8.2 i my past integrations, my PC was able to do integrations again. I dont know if your's could be that or another thing, just my 2 cents.

code65536

Post by code65536 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:56 pm

I've run into the same problem with files being corrupted upon integration, either files within drivers.cab or with individual compressed files. I think it's happening during the compression stage. Is the cab maker used in the RVMI buggy? Not a HDD issue since HDD scans come out clean and this doesn't affect other files. So I've gotten into the habit of verifying all files in each integration. Yea, it's annoying...

This problem happens all the time if there are leftover temp files in %temp% (since the cabbing process uses intermediate temp files in %temp%). There are leftover files if I cancel an integration during compression. So I suspect that leftover temps are causing the problem. If I clear out the temp directory before an integration, the problem goes away... almost. Even after clearing out the temp directory of any leftover cab temps, the problem still pops up now and then (maybe every other integration?) and affects only one or two files (vs affecting half a dozen files every single integration if I leave the leftover cabs in %temp%). So it greatly reduces the problem, but doesn't solve it 100%. My guess is that what I'm seeing is a race condition, that in some rare cases, a cab op starts before the previous one has finished cleaning up.

Siginet, have you considered using a newer makecab for the cabber that you use in the RVMI, like the one found in Vista? The Vista makecab doesn't suffer from the timestamp corruption problem, and perhaps something newer would be more reliable?

galileo

Post by galileo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:10 pm

@code65536 & Broly10000:

Thanks for the comments....I will "thoroughly" clean out all temp folders and additionally remove the nlite and RVMI "ini" files and then make another pass at building with 2.1.11 (tonight). Those sound like reasonable and prudent suggestions for any integration regardless of problems or not.

Thanks again gang!!!

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:36 pm

..and have the integrator clean up %temp% as necessary both after and before integration runs.......

OuTman

Post by OuTman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:21 pm

taking makecab.exe of Vista... definitively something to consider :wink:

could someone provide it? I haven't Vista media right here

galileo

Integration Problem Solved

Post by galileo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:55 pm

A note to all who had offered help and to put forth a certain degree of...shall we say....mea culpa

I re-downloaded the 2.1.11 pack and - VOILA - all manner of integration works to perfection (RVMI & nlite). The download sizes (bytes) were identical...but the MD5s were not !!!

So, there ya go. It never fails...does it...stupidity that is. Once again a reminder to everyone, check the file hash, check the file hash, check the file hash......Just because you got a complete download does not mean you got a "good" download.

Thanks again gang to everyone that offered up suggestions!

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:54 am

I'm sure we've all made the mistake, galileo. Thank you for letting us know you finally got it working. :)

dudepron

Post by dudepron » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:59 pm

I might have missed the news but does 2.1.11 still require the dotnet3fix to install or has that been replaced by just downloading and installing the MXML6.0 installer?

Also, great job. keep it up.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:53 pm

RyanVM Update Pack 2.1.11 incorporates the dotnet3fix; it is no longer needed to install dotNET 3.0. The MSXML6.0 SP1 installer may be necessary for some users to install Virtual Studio 2005 or other applications that include MSXML in their own installers.

jumz

Post by jumz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:42 pm

Hi Ryan,

Integrated your Update Pack with XP MCE (and TPC too) and worked flawlessly with the exception of 1 thing:

In your description, you indicate that you have included KB912024 (Update Rollup 2 for eHome Infrared Receiver) in the Update pack...however, on first boot into windows, I still have that hotfix available on Microsoft Update...

Is it an issue on my end perhaps?

Thanks!
JuMz

war59312

Post by war59312 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Found qfecheck.exe version 6.2.29.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... n#filelist

Extract and find in this folder: "\MPSRPT_PFE\MPSTools\bin\x86" .

Heck even the 64bit version is included in this bad boy..

This matches up with:

KB898461 - Permanent copy of the Package Installer for Windows version 6.2.29.0

So why not update it to latest build... Not sure what is fixed...
God Bless America

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:17 pm

Nice find war59312.

After installing hotfix KB938828 (qfe version of file) in my real system, "Safely remove hardware" icon near the clock is not there anymore. Can anybody confirm this issue?
I have an external hdd and an ipod. I used to see that icon till installing KB938828.

code65536

Post by code65536 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:15 pm

MrNxDmX wrote:After installing hotfix KB938828 (qfe version of file) in my real system, "Safely remove hardware" icon near the clock is not there anymore. Can anybody confirm this issue?
I had KB938828 on a "real" live system (but installed as a slipstreamed part of Windows, not as a separate patch), and the "safely remove hardware" icon was still there. (Actually, I'd much rather prefer that the icon wasn't there, eating up space; doesn't make any sense for it to be there when write-caching for removable drives is disabled, but, alas, it's still there; oh well.)

twig123

Post by twig123 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:15 am

I don't know if I'm the only one that is getting this error...

Code: Select all

Windows XP Professional Setup
====================
The Following value in the .SIF file used by Setup is corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section [WinntDirectories] with key "245."

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3
I checked in my TXTSETUP.SIF file and sure enough the value for 245 is missing! I then did a search for 245, and found that it was refered in the lines:

[SourceDisksFiles.x86]
flash9.ocx = 100,,,,,,,245,0,0,Flash9d.ocx
flashutl.exe = 100,,,,,,,245,0,0,FlashUtil9d.exe

I have several other addons, but the UpdatePack is the only one that i can find that references this 245 value...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
~Dave

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:49 am

Code65536's addon also references that value, and makes the changes you mention to the Flash files from versions C to D.

Are you sure you're not using that addon? Because, if you are, adding the following code to said addon's entries_rupup.ini file could fix the problem:

Code: Select all

[txtsetup_dirs]
245 = system32\Macromed\Flash
If that doesn't work, then you could try replacing 245 with the next number in sequence that is not used, such as 248.
Last edited by 5eraph on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

code65536

Post by code65536 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:08 am

...and I should note that my pack is not a standalone pack and must be used alongside the main RVM pack; not doing so will produce errors like this.
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

twig123

Post by twig123 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:19 pm

No, I dont believe the above mentioned pack is one of them...
I am at work right now, and will post my packs when I get home in a little bit.

I would imagine adding the 245 = line would resolve the issue, however, I was more curious of why it wasn't added in the first place.... :rolleyes:

twig123

Post by twig123 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:29 pm

OMG... I feel like such a n00b! :shock:
I'm so sorry all, out of all the packs that I downloaded... I thought that I had the UpdatePack... but turns out that it was M.I.A. :oops:

Please disregard my previous posts

Yurek3

Post by Yurek3 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:05 pm

Maby new version for August and September Please.

Mitsuko Aninikkou
Location: The Netherlands (But running US WinXP, in case it comes up)

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:58 am

w2007megs

WGA

Post by w2007megs » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:14 am

Greetings. Am I correct in presuming that WGA is NOT included in (and has not been since 2.1.0) 2.1.11?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:00 am

Correct, w2007megs.

shahed26

Post by shahed26 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:49 am

any plans of releasing a 2.1.12 update? its been very long now since the last great update pack by ryan

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:52 am

shahed26 wrote:any plans of releasing a 2.1.12 update? its been very long now since the last great update pack by ryan
Ryan is already working on it. Just look around the forum!

boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:49 pm

Haven't heard much on the progress of the next pack, not to rush or anything but are u holding out till the November updates to release it? Just want a confirmation :)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:02 pm

It'll be released when it's ready, regardless of MS patch cycle.

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. - Samuel Clemens

korny

Post by korny » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:47 am

Is there any other way to download the current active release of the Update pack other than via a torrent? I assume the link on your page is inactive until you finish the latest release.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:58 am

Yes, but not officially.

mitsukai89

Post by mitsukai89 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:40 am

question: is there an update pack which does not install any of those useless ms tools (except windows installer)

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:07 pm

picky picky

jamesdean

Post by jamesdean » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:25 pm

@mitsukai89 - You could try Xable's addon pack but its rather outdated atm.

mitsukai89

Post by mitsukai89 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:13 pm

thanks james, but i would rather have an updated pack.. but is ther any possibility for ryan to remove them. And make another update pack which have those things i dont need then he have 2 smaller update packs, and all-in-all will be win-win-win situation :)

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:22 pm

a win-win-win-win situation would be for you to acquire the skills necessary to either make your own packs or to slipstream specific fixes into a source i386.

It's easy.

mitsukai89

Post by mitsukai89 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:49 am

i know how to do both..
i just dont know what updates i need ;) and i have no idea what ones ryans pack has

jamesdean

Post by jamesdean » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:02 am

Heres the list of updates in Ryan's pack. You could compare it to the HFSLIP hotfix list, though you still have hotfixes that replaced others.

Well good luck.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:37 pm

yup 'skills necessary' include decoding the MSFT security annoucements and understanding how things layer on top of each other.

point and shoot in a web browser or a GUI without understanding the under the cover details hardly counts as 'skill'.

jamesdean

Post by jamesdean » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:08 pm

I gave an old link for Xable's pack.

This is the new location and it is updated.

shon3i

Post by shon3i » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:46 am

@jamesdean

Can this, Xable's pack, completly replace Ryanvm pack?