Scan program options,

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Xtremee

Scan program options,

Post by Xtremee » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:04 am

Hi all,
I wanna to know that Is there any program that can scan any program options then give me its registry?
i.e. if you have WMP 11 you can use such a program so that you can get its options in form of .reg file so that i can use this .reg file to control my program when i'm going to make unattended windows installation.
Hope that it is clear.
Thanks in advance

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:09 am

i don't know any except Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
but... it's too old, and supports too few programs.

and for me, i just copy all the registries of a program out.....
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:19 pm

You need to use a program that takes a snapshpt of your registry. Then install or make the needed changes in your program. Then the program takes another snapshot and shows the differences. As long as they are only registry changes you should be able to do it fine. Some programs need files to be edited.

One I know of is InstallRite.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Another is InCtrl5.

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:26 am

Thanks for replies
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@yumeyao,
yumeyao wrote:i don't know any except Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
but... it's too old, and supports too few programs.
I hope that i can find only one that can do what i wanna !!
yumeyao wrote: i just copy all the registries of a program out.....
Ya it can be done for a small program like winamp, winrar,...etc but what about if you have Office or WMP11 ! they will have a lot of registery options that will take a lot of hours to get value by value from your registry.
==================================================================
@ All,
lets say that you have WMP 11 and select option to view video in 100% Zoom i wanna the program that can tell me which registry value(s) changed. I know that there is a program called regmon that can do this job but this program require that you must make change to every option and watch what change and it will be so difficult specially if you have big program like Office or what else. So,i'm looking for program that do scan automatically without need me to watch it and try each option and its corresponding registry
That is all
Thanks in advance and hope that it is clear now

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:17 am

Any Idea !!

DizzyDen

Post by DizzyDen » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:50 pm

Regshot may do what you're looking to do
You Can't Get, If You Won't Give
YCGIYWG

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:33 pm

I think that no one understanding what i'm aim to !!
The program that you give me need to take snapshot then install the program and change the setting of it as i wanna then take the 2nd snapshot and compare them.
This not what i'm wanna. I wanna program that give me the corresponding registry for each option. if i use your program i will get the option registry if i change them or will have them with all registry of program and i will need to get the registry options alone and of course i will not know the registry of each option and i'm sure i will miss some and take some wrong registry with me. So, i'm looking for program that can scan .exe or any thing then give me the registry options of the program.
Hope it is clear now

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:10 pm

Actually doing that is impossible unless you have the program source code and read it (and that is very difficult and not worth it for some options) or unless you reverse engineer and intercept every single call made by the program to the registry using a debugger like WinDbg or OllyDbg and examining each and every single call by hand to Windows registry functions...

Well your only option is what was mentioned above...

When looking at the output all that is needed is common sense to know what is happening, usually programs save their options to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Program and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Program (where Program is its name) so any changes there will probably be what you want.

RegShot actually does a very good job of isolating the needed entries. All you need to do is what you said but while making sure you are not doing anything else before taking the 2nd shot...

Just some common sense and simple guessing...

For some stuff you can see what exactly is being added, for example in Microsoft Updates, most registry data is in Update.inf, for INF installs it is in the sections referenced by the AddReg directive in the main INF file (that you right-click Install)...

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:27 am

1st thanks for reply,
Actually doing that is impossible unless you have the program source code
i belief that there is any thing impossible it will be too difficult but not impossible. as you say here
very difficult and not worth it for some options
reverse engineer and intercept every single call made by the program to the registry using a debugger
Ya, that is what the program will handle to get the registry options.
save their options to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Program and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Program (where Program is its name) so any changes there will probably be what you want.
Most program make this key but not all for example wmp add some other value along registry like add share dll as aplugin for windows to use at any time also MS dot Net make a lot of changes in the System Hive and more...etc
RegShot actually does a very good job
Ya, RegShot is my best program i use till now.

Thanks again.

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:55 am

If there is not any program that can do this. Which is the best programing language that i can use to make such this program?

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:34 am

Any Idea !

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:50 am

Well you can do it in Visual Basic, C++, C# or VB.NET. Possibly you can do it in VBS also but through the WMI service functions.

Here is some info to help you:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/script ... y0711.mspx
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=2229

Checkout the documentation on this Windows function:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724892.aspx

Hope this helps you...

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks a lot for your help