Problems on renaming network drives via VB script

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
reaper

Problems on renaming network drives via VB script

Post by reaper » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:12 am

Hello all,

if we're using nLite with Ryan Update Pack 2.1.10 we have the problem that our login script (VB script) doesn't name network drives correctly. The command
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.NameSpace("H:").Self.Name = "Test"
renames a mapped network drive. The strange thing is that the network drives are renamed as long as the script is running. After the script finished all renamings get undone.
If we install a nLite image without Ryan Update Pack and install all available Windows hotfixes manually the problem doesn't appear.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thank you for any help in advance!

Best regards
Manuel

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:18 am

This is probably not an issue with the updatepack. You should ask on the nLite forum. Are you removing anything with nLite?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

reaper

Post by reaper » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:25 am

Thank you for your reply!
We don't remove components with nLite. Since the problems doesn't appear with all other integrated hotfixes (original Microsoft) I don't think that the problem comes from nLite.
Any help is appreciated!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:06 am

I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to create a share name? Volume label?

reaper

Post by reaper » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:24 am

The two code lines are only a part of our login script. At first the network drives are mapped via command
objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive sDrive, sShare, true
and then got renamed to a user friendly format (e. g. "Groups") by the two code lines mentioned above. The rename command even doesn't work if separated from the complete login script.

Thank you for any help in advance!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:31 am

I've been administering Windows centric networks for the better part of 15 years now and I've never once seen something quite like this. Either I'm not understanding something or I'm even more clueless than I thought, but I always thought that in DOS/Windows you had to use drive letters or UNC paths.

Is this some way of making a file resource appear like a printer resource? As in \\Computer\HPLJ4000.

reaper

Post by reaper » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:29 am

Welcome to the club! This problem is also new to us. But we can reproduce it every time we use the Ryan Update Pack with nLite. If we integrate the hotfixes apartly there's no problem.

Please let me explain again our method of assigning network drives to the users in more detail: The login script first maps network drives to a share as a drive letter e. g. \\server\groups to H:. Afterwards the network drives are renamed to a user friendly name e.g. "share1 on servername.domain" --> "Groups". Users can better recognize short network drive names than the long standard network drive names.
Hope you can understand now what I'm trying to describe. If not please don't hesitate to ask further questions!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:33 am

Ok, I think I understand now, though I have never attempted this before. I'll take a peek at it.

BTW are you integrating WSH 5.7 into your install source? I've had so many problems with that screwing up scripts that I finally ditched it. And finally, there is a hotfix from within the last four or five months that is also messing around with one of my scripts. I haven't isolated which hotfix it is, but even if I did I probably wouldn't eliminate it since it is likely an official hotfix.

reaper

Post by reaper » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:16 pm

We're using the office Windows XP SP2 CD, integrate Ryan Update Pack and all current Wndows hotfixes not integrated yet in Ryan Update Pack. We don't integrate WSH 5.7. I checked the properties of the file wscript.exe: 5.6.0.8825. I saw that Ryan Update Pack contains many files beginning with "wsh" and "vb". Extracting these files from a healty system and replacing the files on an affected system didn't help.
I just installed 5.7 on an affected system however it didn't solve the problem.
Any other ideas?

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:24 am

Why not try integrating bare rvm 2110 (why not 2111?) with rvm integrator and see whats the outcome... trial an error is what i usually do when trying to spot problems

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:20 am

The one thing that I can think of here is permissions. If this is a logon script called at the user level from a GPO, I'm guessing that a standard user won't have the permissions to do this. Normally I would think that a WSH error would pop up (unless you have "on error resume next").

You could always try calling this from a logon script at the machine level and see what happens. Or if that doesn't work, rename the resource under an admin account during a regshot and find what registry key is being modified. That should confirm to you if it is indeed permissions based on what key is changed.

reaper

Post by reaper » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:36 am

@ biatche: We wil try to integrate the current Update Pack release with RVM Integrator and give you and update afterwards

@ RogueSpear: I ran the script also manually as logged on user with domain admin rights - same result. There's no WSH error although no error handling (e.g. "on error resume next") is built in