Electrogen'sMCEUpdatePack (Beta6)

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
SibTiger

Post by SibTiger » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:27 pm

So this pack saves me from installing a couple updates after I manually install MCE from the second CD? Or is there a way to auto install the second MCE CD?

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:36 pm

yes.....use nlite

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:42 pm

lol whos nlite?..jk
sibtiger, just copy the "CMPNENTS" folder from ure 2nd cd in the root dir of the winxpcd(1st disc).so it looks liek this; contents of the 1st disc is copyed in a folder on ure hard drive,and in this folder you copy the CMPNENTS folder into it.now ure good to go,no more insert 2nd cd prompt...of course ull need to burn to a dvd cuz of the bigger size..or u can remove components.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

SibTiger

Post by SibTiger » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks for your patience, all. Got it working!

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:53 pm

boooggy wrote:yes.....use nlite
What kind of answer is that? lol!

Actually if the integrator detects MCE then it will pop up and ask you where the cmpnents folder resides. Very simple. ;) Just an extra step required because of the second disk.

So to fix any confusion...
After this addon is integrated you will no longer need cd 2 or cd 3. Because it will all be combined. You need cd2... or the cmpnents folder during integration though. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:05 pm

It seems electrogen dont have time to update this.
I think to update or release a new update addon for mce. Will take some time, though...

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:01 am

MrNxDmX wrote:It seems electrogen dont have time to update this.
I think to update or release a new update addon for mce. Will take some time, though...
I do have the time it is just that it is not worth releasing another beta if im still getting the updates on MU i am trying to figure it out so any help would be appreciated. KB900325 & KB925766 are both in the pack and qfecheck says that KB925766 is installed but both still appear on MU even though KB925766 needs KB900325 to be installed. Yes it will take some time but im confident that it will get sorted.

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 am

i said to use nlite cause it copies the cd 2 on the source. in the end u will have everything on the same cd.

electrogen
i already posted here why u get those updates on wu. also i posted the workaround.

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:23 am

boooggy wrote:i said to use nlite cause it copies the cd 2 on the source. in the end u will have everything on the same cd.

electrogen
i already posted here why u get those updates on wu. also i posted the workaround.
yes and i have done everything that you and others havesaid and for some reason or an other it doesnt work.

I have put the 2 files that need to go in driver cache in a executable file in svcpack folder they extract to driver cache and i still get the updates on MU

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:24 am

wierd...in all tests it worked for me......

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:28 pm

@electrogenetics. Maybe reply here with what you have so far and we can all take a look at it and see if we can help you fix it. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:06 pm

Right since the last beta release i have read the previous posts with possible solutions and have come to a brick wall. I have done quite a few other packs to try to rule out scenarios bassed on the info from this site and a few other sites. Booogyy mentioned that he had tested the addon and had the same issue and that after copying 2 files to driver cache/i386 windows update then didnt show the 2 updates in question, i put the 2 files in an self-extracting rar file to be extracted to driver cache/i386, but windows update still complains. I then started a new MCE pack from scratch including KB900325 & KB925766 only and windows update said that KB900325 was installed but KB925766 was not, so i QFECHECK'd it and that said they were both not installed. I have PM'd Ryan to see if he knows why this is and if he has a solution, and have since started doing a new MCE pack from scratch doing 1 update at a time and with the last run failed.

Possible reasons are:
KB900325's Update.inf has a section with this line

[MediaCenter.EHome.files.Security]
"D:PAR(A;OICI;FA;;;BA)(A;OICI;FA;;;SY)(A;OICI;0x1200a9;;;BU)"

i think this might have something to do with it.

Also the problems seem to be with MCE specific files only leaving me to believe that it might have something to do with medctroc.inf.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:34 pm

electrogen wrote:I do have the time it is just that it is not worth releasing another beta if im still getting the updates on MU i am trying to figure it out so any help would be appreciated. KB900325 & KB925766 are both in the pack and qfecheck says that KB925766 is installed but both still appear on MU even though KB925766 needs KB900325 to be installed. Yes it will take some time but im confident that it will get sorted.
Could it be related to the different methods Microsoft uses to check to see if updates are installed for different products?

Similar (I believe from what I remember) to if you slipstream post-SP updates to Office 2003, even though they are correctly installed as part of the Office installation, MU will still report that those updates are needed because of some registry entries. At least that's how it was as of a year or so ago.

Edit: Nevermind if boooggy already addressed this, since I just noticed he said he did but I'm too lazy to look. :P
Last edited by roirraWedorehT on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:38 pm

electrogen wrote:I then started a new MCE pack from scratch including KB900325 & KB925766 only and windows update said that KB900325 was installed but KB925766 was not, so i QFECHECK'd it and that said they were both not installed.
Stupid question on my part, but did you at least include .NET 1.1 as well? I think that's what KB900325 needs since MCE 2005 only includes .NET 1.0.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Umm, ok then electrogen. I'd like to see what have you done after beta6. Also, would be glad if boooggy shares his work, too.

I'm working on a new update Addon to update cmpnents folder contents, as well as tabletpc.cab file. But, IMO you have some files in wrond places. Some of them have to be in i386 dir, that you're moving them in MEDIACTR.CAB. I'll share my work, when i finish and test it :wink:

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:54 am

MrNxDmX wrote:Some of them have to be in i386 dir, that you're moving them in MEDIACTR.CAB.
it :wink:
yes this is true but the only files that i put in MEDIACTR.CAB are the ones that are already there plus a couple of ehome files. The files that are also in the i386 dir are copied to MEDIACTR.cab

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:23 am

[quote="roirraW "edor""]Stupid question on my part, but did you at least include .NET 1.1 as well? I think that's what KB900325 needs since MCE 2005 only includes .NET 1.0.[/quote]
First post in thread:
electrogen wrote:You still need to install .dot framework 1.1 sp1 after install.
To me, that alone would imply no. (I've checked the add-on, it's not there.)
Visit me at home: http://xptsp.filetap.com

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:49 pm

Siginet wrote:So remove the [drivercab_move section and add this to the entries files sections:

Code: Select all

[ExpandCab]
I386\DRIVER.CAB,I386\DRIVER

[FileMove]
msdvbnp.ax,DRIVER\*
psisdecd.dll,DRIVER\*
psisrndr.ax,DRIVER\*

[CreateCab]
I386\DRIVER,I386\DRIVER.CAB
I tested the add-on with these changes. DRIVER.CAB is rebuilt, including the new files. However, DRVINDEX.INF isn't updated to point Windows to DRIVER.CAB if SP2.CAB hasn't been integrated into DRIVER.CAB yet.

I added the following to the Entries file:

;This section alters DRVINDEX.INF so that files are referenced in DRIVER.CAB, not SP2.CAB:
[ExtraFileEdits] 
; Removes files from SP2 section:
drvindex.inf|msdv.sys<NEXT>msdvbnp.ax<NEXT>msh263.drv|msdv.sys<NEXT>msh263.drv|1
drvindex.inf|pscript5.dll<NEXT>psisdecd.dll<NEXT>psisrndr.ax<NEXT>ptpusd.dll|pscript5.dll<NEXT>ptpusd.dll|1

; Inserts files into DRIVER section:
drvindex.inf|mraid35x.sys<NEXT>msfsio.sys|mraid35x.sys<NEXT>msdvbnp.ax<NEXT>msfsio.sys|1
drvindex.inf|pscript.hlp<NEXT>psisload.dll<NEXT>pthsp.dat|pscript.hlp<NEXT>psisdecd.dll<NEXT>psisload.dll<NEXT>psisrndr.ax<NEXT>pthsp.dat|1
The Integrator doesn't make these changes to DRVINDEX.INF so that Windows installer pulls the correct files from DRIVER.CAB. So, what am I doing wrong?

EDIT: If the MCE add-on is integrated with an Update Pack, the [ExtraFileEdits] won't do anything. But I'm not integrating an Update Pack along with the MCE add-on.

EDIT2: I'm changing DRVINDEX.INF so that the listing is still alphabetical, excluding those 3 files from the SP2 section and including in the DRIVER section. Took the file list directly from DRVINDEX.INF...

EDIT3: I also added this to the entries file:

[EditFile]
I386\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram

[AddProgram]
Copy4MCE.cmd
with Copy4MCE.cmd reading:

@echo off
copy %WinDir%\System32\psisdecd.dll "%WinDir%\Driver Cache\i386"
copy %WinDir%\System32\psisrndr.ax "%WinDir%\Driver Cache\i386"
in order to copy the 2 files to the Driver Cache\i386 folder during Setup.

EDIT4: Archive removed by dougiefresh
Last edited by dougiefresh on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:29 pm

I didn't even think of that. Doh! Thanks dougie. Yes... If you make an addon that recompresses driver.cab without an updatepack you will need to make sure you add the needed info to drvindex.inf as well.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:42 pm

Can the integrator be coded to rebuild the DRVINDEx.INF file after/before/as the DRIVER.CAB file is compressed? It would make things MUCH easier..... On other notes, any idea why ExtraFileEdits isn't working? Thanks, Siginet!

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:21 am

I just thought of something: ExtraFileEdits will break if any other add-on modifies the DRVINDEX.INF file in those lines....

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:24 am

Have you tried EditFile to add files to the [driver] section? I would think it would be much simpler to use. As for removing lines from [sp2] I would use extrafileedits.

I think I can add some code to handle recabbing driver.cab from an addon so that it rebuilds drvindex.inf. shouldn't be very difficult. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:06 pm

No, I hadn't tried EditFile, since I redownloaded the Integrator yesterday (Integrator corrupted). I'll see if I can get it working using EditFile, instead.

Another thought occurs to me: Is there any way (other than ExtraFileEdits) to remove lines from a file, similar to how EditFile can add lines? Such functionality could be used to make the desired changes, like those being strived for in several posts back.....

EDIT: DRVINDEX.INF isn't being changed by the Integrator, even with the EditFile section. Here's the stripped-down entries file (other sections are irrevelant to this problem):

[EditFile]
;This section adds two commands to handle miscellaneous tasks:
I386\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram

; Inserts files into DRIVER section of DRVINDEX.INF:
i386\drvindex.inf,driver,Driver_Files

[Driver_Files]
msdvbnp.ax
psisdecd.dll
psisrndr.ax

[AddProgram]
Copy4MCE.cmd

; Removes files from SP2 section from DRVINDEX.INF:
[ExtraFileEdits] 
drvindex.inf|msdv.sys<NEXT>msdvbnp.ax<NEXT>msh263.drv|msdv.sys<NEXT>msh263.drv|1
drvindex.inf|pscript5.dll<NEXT>psisdecd.dll<NEXT>psisrndr.ax<NEXT>ptpusd.dll|pscript5.dll<NEXT>ptpusd.dll|1
I can verify Copy4MCE.cmd is being added to SVCPACK.INF, though.

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:38 am

Siginet, the Integrator IS making the requested file edits, but to a blank DRVINDEX.INF under the RVMTEMP sub-folder. The original DRVINDEX.INF never gets copied to the RVMTEMP folder and the modified version never gets copied back to the i386.

hatem20

Post by hatem20 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:55 am

very thanks

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:10 pm

dougiefresh wrote:Siginet, the Integrator IS making the requested file edits, but to a blank DRVINDEX.INF under the RVMTEMP sub-folder. The original DRVINDEX.INF never gets copied to the RVMTEMP folder and the modified version never gets copied back to the i386.
You are correct. I will fix this in the next release. I have accidentally been making [EditFile] write to the drvindex.inf file in the rvmtemp dir.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks, Siginet! One question: have you checked the code handling [ExtraFileEdits] as well? That don't do anything for DRVINDEX.INF....

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:41 am

I've tested my altered version of the add-on, making the manual changes to DRVINDEX required so that Windows installer pulls the right files from DRIVER.CAB, not SP2.CAB. QFECHECK reports that KB925766 is installed correctly. However, attempting to run MCE results in a message to the effect that MCE runs only on an MCE install. I've taken care of that message by way of hive edits. I will upload this soon....

EDIT2: I've decided to make the files I changed available in a seperate archive. My test included the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 from this topic ,renamed to dotnet11sp1.exe. I also took the InstallTips program by HJW and customized to install MCE components. Please note that MCE components are removed from SVCPACK because they rely on .NET Framework 1.1, not 1.0 like the original MCE files did. Keeping them in SVCPACK causes errors during the installation, specifically with registration errors with .NET. Oh yeah, I almost forgot: DRVINDEX.INF must be edited by hand until Siginet publishes the next version of the Integrator.

EDIT3: Siginet has released v1.5.3 of the Integrator, which reportedly takes care of the DRVINDEX issue previously mentioned.

EDIT4: Found a way to keep MCE entries in SYSOC...

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:24 pm

I've completed my tests of my altered add-on and am sharing it. It includes .NET Framework 1.1 SP1, KB925766 is installed correctly (according to QFECHECK), and all necessary components are kept in SYSOC. DRIVER.CAB is rebuilt with the new updates, and DRVINDEX.INF is updated so that Windows setup pulls the correct files. Other Media Center updates have been added, but have not been tested for completeness. It should not be used (yet) with an Update Pack at the same time, however MCE Add-On then UpdatePack should be fine. This add-on requires Integrator v1.5.2 or later for succesful integration.

Link removed, see 2 posts down for reason

EDIT: Please note that this isn't an official release by Electrogen. I have named it "beta 6b" because I modded the pack and don't have the authority to call it "beta 7". "beta 6a" had a small bug in it that 6b fixes (EasyCDBlock.inf is supposed to be named EZCDBLOC.INF). I also don't mean to step on any toes here...

EDIT2: Oh, yeah... I almost forgot. I haven't included KB913800 in this pack, so don't be suprised if it comes up. WMP11 probably should be integrated after this add-on, but isn't necessary/required for this add-on to work. MCECTROC.INF and SONIC.INF have been modified so that the component registration takes place after .NET 1.1SP1 is installed.
Last edited by dougiefresh on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:30 am

very nice dougie...
congrats
a very well build, organised addon.
again congrats.

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:06 am

Oh-oh.... Just discovered that files aren't integrated into DRIVER.CAB because of a modification I made to the entries file to make it look better (to me). The modification results in files supposed to be in DRIVER.CAB being stored in a folder labeled "<space>DRIVER" (where <space> is an actual space). Here's the new link:

FileName: Electrogen'sMCEUpdatePack_Beta6c_AddOn.rar
Download: http://www.MegaShare.com/396032 - Size: 33.5mb
MD5: DC63D12CF753C66E1DD85C569AE84A9C

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:17 pm

i think megashare's server is gonna fry soon...if u can even connect to the site(took me 6 refreshes),it dosent mean ure dl is gonna be good.for sum odd reason it gave me a 12mb or so file,but i eventualy got a good one..
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:07 am

i will upload it to sig's site and post a new link shortly

creative4rce

Post by creative4rce » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:00 am

Will this addon work on SP3 5512 ?

cheers! :D

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:49 pm

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:41 am

I found this topic at MSFN, which indicates that there will be problems with SP3 5512 and MCE. Whether this add-on will resolve this "problem" is questionable.

Also, chances are SP3 will have the non-MCE updates already integrated, so integrating them this way will probably screw things up. Fortunately, the solution is simple: Remove the non-MCE hotfixes and publish a new add-on for SP3. That way, the SP3 files don't get "replaced" by their files in the add-on.

I also read somewhere that Microsoft said that MCE will only be updated online.... So, I'm not sure if that means MS knows SP3 will f#$#-up MCE....

benjamminzIS

Post by benjamminzIS » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:10 am

EDIT: sorry... was really tired and didn't realize what I was asking... lolz... carry on!
_coming soon, don't hold your breath

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:39 pm

So, this one is an official update :wink:

trippinferret

Overwrite message

Post by trippinferret » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:03 am

Hi I just installed your MCE2005 update pack beta 6 on to my DVD and get this pop up message during the install.
It opens in C:\windows\system32\reg.exe in a window and has the message, value eh_a exists, overwrite y/n.
any help on removing this pop up I would really appreciate.

Thanks

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:25 am

Try integrating the following file in the same session as the Update Pack or anytime afterward.

Download:
Last edited by 5eraph on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

trippinferret

Thanks

Post by trippinferret » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:13 am

Thanks for the speedy reply I will download the fix in a second and integrate it, I will let you know how it all goes.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:55 pm

dougiefresh wrote:I found this topic at MSFN, which indicates that there will be problems with SP3 5512 and MCE. Whether this add-on will resolve this "problem" is questionable.

Also, chances are SP3 will have the non-MCE updates already integrated, so integrating them this way will probably screw things up. Fortunately, the solution is simple: Remove the non-MCE hotfixes and publish a new add-on for SP3. That way, the SP3 files don't get "replaced" by their files in the add-on.

I also read somewhere that Microsoft said that MCE will only be updated online.... So, I'm not sure if that means MS knows SP3 will f#$#-up MCE....
I'm not very active in any forums lately due to my wife's medical issues, but I wanted to share some information. I had within the last month attempted to reinstall MCE 2005 on a friend's computer, and perform all the updates manually through Microsoft Update including SP3 et cetera.

No matter what I tried, eventually the updates started to fail installation. Rebooting didn't help. I had tried two XP MCE 2005 installations. At least one was with no updates integrated at all, and I still eventually had seemingly permanant problems with some updates. It wasn't one particular update each time.

Sorry I can't provide more details because my time has been short lately and I didn't take the time to take notes; and the customer had a half mind to move up to Vista already and once I did that I was able to stop banging my head against the wall. Microsoft's mission is a success: make MCE 2005 so much a headache to keep updated that Vista looks like that much better an option.

Also take note that I have not tried any of the MCE 2005 update packs/methods, much less the MCE 2005 addon for other XP versions, so I don't know what the result would be with them.
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64

trippinferret

Post by trippinferret » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi, I just tried your addon, thanks 5eraph and it stopped the pop up message, it installed fine, I was just wondering had anybody released a final of this MCEUpdate pack if so I would really like to download it.

Thanks

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Link is broken. :(
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

muiz

Post by muiz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:10 am

English only? or can i integrate this in other languages to?

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:01 am

yeah it's english only....
you can integrate it into sources of other languages if you don't mind you'll get an english media-center.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:45 am

Check out ricktendo64's MCE 2005 addon, which is in spanish: http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4570
He's done a great job, also its updated to date.

kaitsevaim

Post by kaitsevaim » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:28 am

yeah...too bad its spanish. Is there an easy way to make it english? By deleting mui files maybe? :P

So...found a possible bug if you have any interest left maintaining your pack. Setup said...cannot copy bdatuneapi.dll. Can give u a screenshot if necessary. I integrated with integrator and optimized system files after it. Could the last be the problem? I didnt notice the integrator compressing the file though... First i thought this could be "false positive" of the scanning, but...i´m clueless now. Use nlite some would say :lol:
Most important question is why and everything begins of your choice

winmaster

Post by winmaster » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:33 pm

Can someone update the links to this? None of them seem to be working.

Thanks.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:48 pm

winmaster wrote:Can someone update the links to this? None of them seem to be working.

Thanks.
http://www.mediafire.com/?4ubtzdk343jtdhi