Windows XP SP3 RTM - FAQ

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
posttoast

Windows XP SP3 RTM - FAQ

Post by posttoast » Sun May 04, 2008 6:29 am

Because a lot of questions keep turning up (including my own) in different threads, I thought it would be handy to have one general topic where all the questions and discussions can go. And it seems to me the best way to start this of is a FAQ. If you have anything to add to this, please respond and I'll make sure it ends up here!

:?: Where do I get the RTM-version of SP3?
:!: Best is to get it straight from the source: Microsoft. You can use this link. If you want to be really sure, these are the file-hashes for the US-English version:

Code: Select all

MD5: BB25707C919DD835A9D9706B5725AF58
SHA1: C81472F7EEEA2ECA421E116CD4C03E2300EBFDE4
:?: What is the best way to build a SP3-CD?
:!: Take an original XP-image (gold, SP0) and then slipstream SP3 into it, using nLite. There is no need to use a SP1 or SP2 image to work from, but it can be done if you don't have a SP0 version in your possession. It is important that you slipstream in Windows XP. See the next question.

:?: I integrated SP3 and now setup no longer accepts my corporate volume license key. Is it blacklisted?
:!: If you are using an illegal key, chances are it is. However, if you are using a legal key, that should be working, you probably performed the slipstream in Windows Vista. Due to an issue with this, setup will not accept your VLK. Make sure you slipstream under Windows XP.

:?: Why isn't Windows Update / Microsoft Update showing .NET 3.0 after installing?
:!: The jury is still out on this one, but this is probably due to the fact that WU and MU aren't completely ready for SP3 yet. It will turn up here, so hang on.

:?: Which Update Pack should I use on top of SP3?
:!: Right now: redxii's XP SP3 Update Pack.

The Update Packs RyanVM has released so far are all made for SP2. There will be one for SP3, but that is still being worked on. Asking here when it will be finished is not going to speed things up, honestly.

:?: Which addons can I use with SP3?
:!: Most should work in combination with SP3, but there is still some discussion on which are necessary. I.E.: some argue that the DirectX 9.0C runtimes are already included in SP3, so there is no need to use this addon-pack. Others however claim that the DirectX 9.0C has newer files than SP3. Best is to check the corresponding addon-threads on the forum.

:?: When I use addons I get this error during setup: "The file 'napclientprov.mof' on (Unknown) is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK. " Why is this?
:!: This is happening because of breaking digital signatures in the installation files. The easiest way to fix this is to take two files from an existing SP3-installation (one without addons) and place them in the root of your installation image. These are the files you need:

c:\windows\system32\wbem\napclientprov.mof
c:\windows\system32\wbem\napclientschema.mof
Alternatively, you can browse to theses files on your harddisk when asked for these files during setup.

:?: Can I use a prebuild SP3 image from Technet/MSDN/another source?
:!: Yes, you can. Just make sure it's the real thing (if you are not getting it from Technet or MSDN). Look for these filehashes:

Windows XP Professional SP3 Retail:
sha1: 1c735b38931bf57fb14ebd9a9ba253ceb443d459

Windows XP Professional SP3 corp (for VLK's):
sha1: 66ac289ae27724c5ae17139227cbe78c01eefe40
For hashcodes of other versions you can check this page. Click Show details next to a release to see it.

:?: Anything else?
:!: There's probably more stuff that should be covered in this FAQ. Or perhaps I got some things wrong. Please tell me, so I can make this a better FAQ (and a better world ;) ). Maybe this thread should be turned into a sticky, but I will leave that to the moderators.
Last edited by posttoast on Wed May 07, 2008 11:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun May 04, 2008 7:21 am

For "Which Update Pack should I use on top of SP3?", I think you should point to redxii's XP SP3 Update Pack, in addition to giving information about RyanVM's eventual Post-SP3 update pack.

posttoast

Post by posttoast » Sun May 04, 2008 7:35 am

Yeah, you are right. Fixed that, thanks!

HJW
XPu Master

Post by HJW » Sun May 04, 2008 7:57 am

It's possible to slipstream sp3 when you are on a vista machine - just make sure you are using RVMintegrator with XPSP2 compabilitiy mode.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun May 04, 2008 8:00 am

The slipstream will appear to work just fine, but if you're slipstreaming to a Corporate (VLK) edition of XP under Vista, then when you start the installation, it won't accept any XP keys.

Slipstreaming to other editions of XP doesn't appear to be affected, AFAIK. I slipstreamed one other edition, at least, and it installed just fine.

mikeypsquared

Post by mikeypsquared » Tue May 06, 2008 9:31 am

Does Xp sp3 5512 contain Universal Audio Architecture(UAA)?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

I heard rumors around the test builds that they would, but i don't know if they implemented that.

And if not, where can people get an addon for xp sp3?

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue May 06, 2008 1:44 pm

reading the documentation available from MSFT says, yes, HDAA is in 5512.

Gorki

Post by Gorki » Wed May 07, 2008 10:07 am

Can someone verify is this latest SP3 on MS page has same MD5 and size as described in first post?

LINK

I ask cause I see 5/6/08 as release date..

mikeypsquared

Post by mikeypsquared » Wed May 07, 2008 10:50 am

CONFIRMED.

MD5:
bb25707c919dd835a9d9706b5725af58

SHA1:
c81472f7eeea2eca421e116cd4c03e2300ebfde4

right @ 316.4mb

:D

Gorki

Post by Gorki » Wed May 07, 2008 11:36 am

Thanks mate! :)

posttoast

Post by posttoast » Wed May 07, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks for checking that Mikey. I updated the FAQ so it now directs to the official SP3 page.

Gorki

Post by Gorki » Wed May 07, 2008 11:55 am

posttoast since you are updating links here are some other sp3 variations offical ones. :)

Windows XP Service Pack 3, Checked Build

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

I hope someone find them useful. :)

posttoast

Post by posttoast » Wed May 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Gorki wrote:posttoast since you are updating links here are some other sp3 variations offical ones. :)

Windows XP Service Pack 3, Checked Build

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

I hope someone find them useful. :)
OK, I think I'll put them up there, but do you think the checked build is useful for regular users?

crashfly

Re: Windows XP SP3 RTM - FAQ

Post by crashfly » Wed May 07, 2008 7:46 pm

posttoast wrote::?: What is the best way to build a SP3-CD?
:!: Take an original XP-image (gold, SP0) and then slipstream SP3 into it, using nLite. There is no need to use a SP1 or SP2 image to work from, but it can be done if you don't have a SP0 version in your possession. It is important that you slipstream in Windows XP. See the next question.
Can you please update this portion of your FAQ? It incorrectly states that an SP0 image is required, whereas MS has stated that SP1a is required before installing SP3. This may straighten out those users who get problems when trying to use an "original" XP install CD.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

redxii

Post by redxii » Wed May 07, 2008 8:01 pm

Atleast SP1 is required to install SP3. There are no service pack requirements to slipstream SP3.

Fragbert

Post by Fragbert » Wed May 07, 2008 8:55 pm

redxii wrote:Atleast SP1 is required to install SP3. There are no service pack requirements to slipstream SP3.
Just to clarify I read this correctly, I can slipstream XP SP3 to a XP SP0/RTM image without problems - but to install XP on a live system, the OS must be SP1a or greater?

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed May 07, 2008 9:05 pm

Yes that is correct...

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu May 08, 2008 1:10 am

Fragbert wrote:
redxii wrote:Atleast SP1 is required to install SP3. There are no service pack requirements to slipstream SP3.
Just to clarify I read this correctly, I can slipstream XP SP3 to a XP SP0/RTM image without problems - but to install XP on a live system, the OS must be SP1a or greater?
MS does not *specifically* mention the slipstreaming process requirements, but it would leave me to believe that SP1a is required for the install CD also. I mean just think about it .... if you use a SP0 CD to install and *then* want to update, SP1a is required. Why would updating the CD be any different? Obviously something will be missing if you do not update to SP1a first.
--Anonymous

Broly10000

Post by Broly10000 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:20 am

My disk is bigger that MSDN by 4MB. And the only diferences i found on both disks so far is that my I386 is bigger by 16MB. Inside of I386 found that my Driver.cab is biger by 13.3mb and the ASMS folder is biger by 2.86mb, havent checked what's making them bigger. My disk has a cmpnents folder with tabletpc and netfx, and MSDN disk have a couple more stuff like the DOTNETFX folder. Is there a way to check de MD5 of all the files whitout of having to go one by one??

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu May 08, 2008 2:45 am

You could try QuickSFV to compare multiple file hashes at once by creating an SFV file for the I386 folder of one source, then moving the SFV file to the other source and double-clicking to compare files.

I'd suggest using an SFV file instead of an MD5 file because CRC hashes are much faster to compute than MD5 hashes. ;)

posttoast

Post by posttoast » Thu May 08, 2008 2:51 am

crashfly wrote:
Fragbert wrote:
MS does not *specifically* mention the slipstreaming process requirements, but it would leave me to believe that SP1a is required for the install CD also. I mean just think about it .... if you use a SP0 CD to install and *then* want to update, SP1a is required. Why would updating the CD be any different? Obviously something will be missing if you do not update to SP1a first.
I can guarantee that using SP0 will work fine with a slipstream. I don't know why updating is only possible with SP1a, but I am sure there is a good reason for it. I actually tried a SP0 -> SP3 update and can confirm this doesn't work. A message stating SP1a is required will appear.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu May 08, 2008 2:58 am

posttoast wrote:I can guarantee that using SP0 will work fine with a slipstream. I don't know why updating is only possible with SP1a, but I am sure there is a good reason for it. I actually tried a SP0 -> SP3 update and can confirm this doesn't work. A message stating SP1a is required will appear.
Darn fishy if ya ask me. But then, MS does not ask me. Maybe if someone ever has the time, they can determine what the difference is between a SP0->SP3 install and a SP1a->SP3 install.

Who knows anyway? Could be one of those anecdotal issues where something that happens *after* a SP0 install (maybe changes in System Restore or something) cannot be updated by SP3. Meh ... without research, your guess is as good as mine.
--Anonymous

posttoast

Post by posttoast » Thu May 08, 2008 3:16 am

crashfly wrote: Darn fishy if ya ask me. But then, MS does not ask me. Maybe if someone ever has the time, they can determine what the difference is between a SP0->SP3 install and a SP1a->SP3 install.
Yeah, I agree it seems a bit odd. But people actually compared SP0->SP3, SP1->SP3 and SP2->SP3. You can find it on this board somewhere, but I think the conclusion was there weren't any real differences (none that matter anyway).
Who knows anyway? Could be one of those anecdotal issues where something that happens *after* a SP0 install (maybe changes in System Restore or something) cannot be updated by SP3. Meh ... without research, your guess is as good as mine.
Something like this might very well be the reason.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Thu May 08, 2008 6:45 am

Basically the differences came down to 13 files that weren't updated by SP3 when slipstreamed onto SP0. However, they weren't updated by SP3 when slipstreamed onto SP2 either. Furthermore, the files involved didn't even get installed because SP3 slipstreamed .cab versions of the same files/programs that do evidently get installed.

Therefore, similar to how when slipstreaming SP3 onto SP2, you get files left that don't matter (SP2.cab, ...), the same thing happens with slipstreaming SP3 onto SP0.

When I compared actual running systems after installing each of these versions, there were no exe's or dll's that were different and/or missing between them.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu May 08, 2008 1:10 pm

Thanks for that information roirraW "edor". I am guessing it does not matter then. :shock:
--Anonymous

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu May 08, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks for checking, roirraW "edor". That saves me a headache. :)

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Thu May 08, 2008 4:41 pm

You're welcome, crashfly and 5eraph. I also ran a comparison to XP installed from the new VLK edition with SP3 already slipstreamed as supplied by MS. There were a couple things I have questions about, but there still wasn't any indication of any real difference.

I may post the full (long) differences or at least post a download to them in Excel format. There were files that were different. But many if not all are files that are different every time you install Windows. I then decided to use the criteria - looking for exe's and cab's and other major things like that, to determine if I should worry about anything. I'll get it up here as soon as I have time; hopefully by this weekend.

I used MD5 comparison as supplied with Directory Opus, my explorer replacement. I had it search for duplicate files between the two mounted Acronis True Image backups which contained the two different XP installations. Then I deleted all of the duplicates in both backups, and manually scanned the remaining files.

roirraWedorehT

nLite v1.4.5 corrects slipstreaming of SP3 RTM under Vista

Post by roirraWedorehT » Thu May 08, 2008 9:15 pm

nLite v1.4.5 corrects slipstreaming of SP3 RTM under Vista
www.nliteos.com wrote:nLite 1.4.5 Final
Finally the XP SP3 was released so here is the final nLite version update as well.

Just one important thing changed, SP3 Slipstream under Vista. It would reject your valid CD-Key. Not my doing but it is fixed anyway.
So in order to fix the XP SP3 CD-Key issues remake the Slipstreamed version from scratch with this nLite version.

upd: XP SP3 Slipstream under Vista, CD-Key issue
I haven't personally tested this but maybe you want to add this to your FAQ?

CODYQX4

Post by CODYQX4 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:08 pm

I had a question about slipstreaming. Whether I use nlite or the integrator, or run under xp or vista, I have a file called clock.avi that fails to copy, thus interrupting my unattended install. The file is useless, as it is just a video of a clock counting down from 12 to 1, yet XP insists it is necessary. Skipping it by pressing escape has no effect on the install at all. How can I either get it to copy right or not be copied at all so that my install is left free to run without interruption?

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Thu May 08, 2008 11:13 pm

Strange. I haven't had this problem myself, sorry I can't think of any advice to give. Hopefully someone else can.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu May 08, 2008 11:51 pm

CODYQX4 wrote:I had a question about slipstreaming. Whether I use nlite or the integrator, or run under xp or vista, I have a file called clock.avi that fails to copy, thus interrupting my unattended install. The file is useless, as it is just a video of a clock counting down from 12 to 1, yet XP insists it is necessary. Skipping it by pressing escape has no effect on the install at all. How can I either get it to copy right or not be copied at all so that my install is left free to run without interruption?
This sounds like the original install source you use to make the 'nlited' or 'Integrated' CD with could possibly not have the clock.avi file.

Can you check your original install source to verify if that file is available?

If it is available, maybe it is corrupted or modified from its original version.

These are only some of the problems that could or have occured. If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to add to this list.
--Anonymous

Broly10000

Post by Broly10000 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:10 am

5eraph wrote:You could try QuickSFV to compare multiple file hashes at once by creating an SFV file for the I386 folder of one source, then moving the SFV file to the other source and double-clicking to compare files.

I'd suggest using an SFV file instead of an MD5 file because CRC hashes are much faster to compute than MD5 hashes. ;)

Thanks FOr the sujestion 5eraph. My opinion on why microsoft requires SP1 is because of all the blacklisted keys that works like a charm in SP0. Verified every file as sujested by 5eraph and heres the result. Checked MSDN SP3 disk first and copied the file to my Slip folder. All the files that fails in I386 are dated back to 2001. The ones inside ASMS i have no idea and dont know for what they are used and my slip disk worked fine without them anyway.

There were 12 bad files and
I386\DRIVER.CAB
I386\EULA.TXT
I386\MDMSSYS.IN_
I386\OEMBIOS.BI_
I386\OEMBIOS.CA_
I386\OEMBIOS.DA_
I386\OEMBIOS.SI_
I386\SETUPP.INI
I386\SUPP_ED.CH_
I386\ASMS\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.CAT
I386\ASMS\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.DLL
I386\ASMS\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN

20 missing files

I386\ASMS\1\DEFAULT\DEFAULT.CA_
I386\ASMS\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.CA_
I386\ASMS\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.DL_
I386\ASMS\10\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.CA_
I386\ASMS\2\DEFAULT\DEFAULT.CA_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.CA_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.DL_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.CA_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.DL_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCRES\RTCRES.CA_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCRES\RTCRES.DL_
I386\ASMS\52\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\NETWORKING\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.CA_
I386\ASMS\52\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\NETWORKING\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.CA_
I386\ASMS\60\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\COMCTL32.DL_
I386\ASMS\60\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\CONTROLS.CA_
I386\ASMS\60\POLICY\60\COMCTL\COMCTL.CA_
I386\ASMS\70\MSFT\WINDOWS\MSWINCRT\MSVCIRT.DL_
I386\ASMS\70\MSFT\WINDOWS\MSWINCRT\MSVCRT.DL_
I386\ASMS\70\MSFT\WINDOWS\MSWINCRT\MSWINCRT.CA_
I386\ASMS\70\POLICY\MSFT\MSWINCRT\MSWINCRT.CA_

And for CODYQX4, check the file in your original install and see if you find it in the SP3 disk, if you find them in both files, verify the hash in both, if they're diferent copy it from the disk that works for you. It is supposed to be called CLOCK.AV_ inside of I386 with an MD5 of 97B5CD8267C93F004380AD0CDF786DEF verified on both MSDN SP3 and my slip sp3 dated to 2001. And just i case you dont have it here it is:CLOCK.rar Just copy it to your I386

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri May 09, 2008 4:08 am

Thanks for the detailed file comparison between "native" and slipstreamed sources, Broly10000. It's greatly appreciated. :D

Broly10000

Post by Broly10000 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:23 am

5eraph wrote:Thanks for the detailed file comparison between "native" and slipstreamed sources, Broly10000. It's greatly appreciated. :D

Of course. No problem, have to do something here other than read and download. My speciality is hardware and network not programing, so other than this and testing :D i cannot be of much help here :?

posttoast

Re: nLite v1.4.5 corrects slipstreaming of SP3 RTM under Vista

Post by posttoast » Fri May 09, 2008 4:47 am

[quote="roirraW "edor""]nLite v1.4.5 corrects slipstreaming of SP3 RTM under Vista
www.nliteos.com wrote:nLite 1.4.5 Final
Finally the XP SP3 was released so here is the final nLite version update as well.

Just one important thing changed, SP3 Slipstream under Vista. It would reject your valid CD-Key. Not my doing but it is fixed anyway.
So in order to fix the XP SP3 CD-Key issues remake the Slipstreamed version from scratch with this nLite version.

upd: XP SP3 Slipstream under Vista, CD-Key issue
I haven't personally tested this but maybe you want to add this to your FAQ?[/quote]
Yeah, I saw that. I'll try to test it this today, if it works I will add it to the FAQ.

CODYQX4

Post by CODYQX4 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:38 am

Broly10000 wrote:
5eraph wrote:You could try QuickSFV to compare multiple file hashes at once by creating an SFV file for the I386 folder of one source, then moving the SFV file to the other source and double-clicking to compare files.

Thanks FOr the sujestion 5eraph. My opinion on why microsoft requires SP1 is because of all the blacklisted keys that works like a charm in SP0. Verified every file as sujested by 5eraph and heres the result. Checked MSDN SP3 disk first and copied the file to my Slip folder. All the files that fails in I386 are dated back to 2001. The ones inside ASMS i have no idea and dont know for what they are used and my slip disk worked fine without them anyway.

There were 12 bad files and
I386\DRIVER.CAB
I386\EULA.TXT
I386\MDMSSYS.IN_
I386\OEMBIOS.BI_
I386\OEMBIOS.CA_
I386\OEMBIOS.DA_
I386\OEMBIOS.SI_
I386\SETUPP.INI
I386\SUPP_ED.CH_
I386\ASMS\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.CAT
I386\ASMS\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.DLL
I386\ASMS\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN

20 missing files

I386\ASMS\1\DEFAULT\DEFAULT.CA_
I386\ASMS\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.CA_
I386\ASMS\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.DL_
I386\ASMS\10\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.CA_
I386\ASMS\2\DEFAULT\DEFAULT.CA_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.CA_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.DL_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.CA_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.DL_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCRES\RTCRES.CA_
I386\ASMS\52\MSFT\WINDOWS\NET\RTCRES\RTCRES.DL_
I386\ASMS\52\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\NETWORKING\DXMRTP\DXMRTP.CA_
I386\ASMS\52\POLICY\MSFT\WINDOWS\NETWORKING\RTCDLL\RTCDLL.CA_
I386\ASMS\60\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\COMCTL32.DL_
I386\ASMS\60\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS\CONTROLS.CA_
I386\ASMS\60\POLICY\60\COMCTL\COMCTL.CA_
I386\ASMS\70\MSFT\WINDOWS\MSWINCRT\MSVCIRT.DL_
I386\ASMS\70\MSFT\WINDOWS\MSWINCRT\MSVCRT.DL_
I386\ASMS\70\MSFT\WINDOWS\MSWINCRT\MSWINCRT.CA_
I386\ASMS\70\POLICY\MSFT\MSWINCRT\MSWINCRT.CA_

And for CODYQX4, check the file in your original install and see if you find it in the SP3 disk, if you find them in both files, verify the hash in both, if they're diferent copy it from the disk that works for you. It is supposed to be called CLOCK.AV_ inside of I386 with an MD5 of 97B5CD8267C93F004380AD0CDF786DEF verified on both MSDN SP3 and my slip sp3 dated to 2001. And just i case you dont have it here it is:CLOCK.rar Just copy it to your I386
It turns out that I never had that file there in the first place. Strange though that it was only a problem with SP3, as SP2 slipstreamed installs worked good, and clock.avi appeared in the windows directory. Maybe MS had in inside another file and took it out.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sun May 11, 2008 12:58 am

Question :: does the RVM integrator slipstream SP3 correctly to allow an OEM xp pro disc to do the keyless install?

has anyone tried to update an oem disc (either royalty like dell, or just a simple OEM disc with sp2) and had the keyless install actually work? i read that it does NOT work with VLK discs.. but i tried to update one of my dell oem discs and test install it on a VM (virtual PC 2007). normally it asks for a key since the bios is not a dell bios.. not a problem, just enter the key and away you go for a test install.. but i thought that sp3 would allow a install to proceed with no key needed.

any ideas why this does not work? or places to search? google is less than helpful as most results are for pre-beta/beta versions of the sp3 update.

thanks in advance
TechnoHunter

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun May 11, 2008 2:10 am

Here is a new one to add to the list.

Today I updated a customers computer to sp3. When it rebooted it went into constant reboots. :( I did some research and found out that gdi32.dll causes an issue on some computers. The fix was I had to boot into the recovery console (Or bartPE etc) and copy (and overwrite) C:\windows\servicepackfiles\gdi32.dll to C:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll. Once I did this the system would boot normally. Thanks again microsoft! ;) I really hope Microsoft hasn't screwed up XP on purpose to try to boost vista sales. :mad:
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Sun May 11, 2008 3:08 am

Was that an AMD processor on that machine Sig?

PsiMoon314

Post by PsiMoon314 » Sun May 11, 2008 7:13 am

Hi,

On OEM PC's (HP's ect) there is a documented cause for some of the SP3 reboot issues, which has been documented here:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/ ... p-sp3.aspx

To quote from the article:
The problem is that HP, and possibly other OEMs, deploy the same image to Intel-based desktops that they do to AMD-based desktops. It also appears that this is unique to their desktop image, and any HP AMD-based laptops are unaffected by the problem. Because the image for both Intel and AMD is the same all have the intelppm.sys driver installed and running. That driver provides power management on Intel-based computers. On an AMD-based computer, amdk8.sys provides the same functionality. Microsoft points out in a Knowledge Base article that installing both drivers on the same computer is an unsupported configuration, putting the blame on the OEM that deploys the image. The article in question was written when the same problem occurred after installing Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.

Ordinarily, having intelppm.sys running on an AMD-based computer appears to cause no problems. However, on the first reboot after a service pack installation, it causes a big problem. The computer either fails to boot, as in my case, or crashes with a STOP error code of 0x0000007e. If you see that error code you almost certainly have this problem.
So for OEM PC built by folks who don't know what they are doing, you might want to check before you upgrade to SP3.

Kind Regards

Simon

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun May 11, 2008 8:23 am

TechnoHunter wrote:Question :: does the RVM integrator slipstream SP3 correctly to allow an OEM xp pro disc to do the keyless install?

has anyone tried to update an oem disc (either royalty like dell, or just a simple OEM disc with sp2) and had the keyless install actually work? i read that it does NOT work with VLK discs.. but i tried to update one of my dell oem discs and test install it on a VM (virtual PC 2007). normally it asks for a key since the bios is not a dell bios.. not a problem, just enter the key and away you go for a test install.. but i thought that sp3 would allow a install to proceed with no key needed.

any ideas why this does not work? or places to search? google is less than helpful as most results are for pre-beta/beta versions of the sp3 update.

thanks in advance
TechnoHunter
I just tested (again) in VMWare Workstation with XP OEM. It was originally SP2 disc, but I slipstreamed to SP3. I don't remember for sure what I slipstreamed it with or on (Vista or XP) but it worked just fine without a key. I probably used nLite to slipstream it but I really don't think it will make any difference.

Here's a screenshot of XP setup prompting me if I pressed "Next" without entering a key. Just press "No" and it accepts the blank key and asks the next normal question (what to name computer).

Thanks for the heads up about those issues, Siginet and PsiMoon314.

PsiMoon314

Post by PsiMoon314 » Sun May 11, 2008 10:23 am

Hi,

Was this an attended or unattended install?

I have tried activating this SP3 feature via an unattended install but every time I am force to enter a product key.

Does anyone know what you enter into the WINNT.SIF to allow an unattended install of SP3 without entering a product key?

Kind Regards

Simon

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun May 11, 2008 10:47 am

PsiMoon314 wrote:Hi,

Was this an attended or unattended install?

I have tried activating this SP3 feature via an unattended install but every time I am force to enter a product key.

Does anyone know what you enter into the WINNT.SIF to allow an unattended install of SP3 without entering a product key?

Kind Regards

Simon
I think what you want is reference material on appropriately building an 'unattended' install CD. Try this sister site with the link pointing to information on the winnt.sif. If that is not enough for you, the other articles can help you properly set up an unattended CD.
--Anonymous

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun May 11, 2008 10:47 am

Attended is how I did it, haven't tried to do it unattended yet.

Oh, man. More rumours to add to the mix. Anyone know if these are true? I don't have a SP0 CD handy except for Corporate to test this with:

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/i ... 16989.html
cluberti wrote:May 8 2008, 08:48 AM
If you slipstream SP0 -> SP3, you will not be able to bypass the product activation screen on non-VL versions of the Windows source. If you slipstream SP1 -> SP3 or SP2 -> SP3, you can bypass the product activation screen on non-VL versions of the Windows source.

That's why people slip SP2 before doing SP3.
orestes wrote:May 8 2008, 08:37 PM
slipstream winxp sp0 to sp3 will result some few disadvantages on feature.. like the ie icon on desktop cant be enable via desktop properties ..
sp2 - sp3 is much stable.. but people prefer to have some what fresh xp.. sp0 - sp3 .. for the unnecessary files..

PsiMoon314

Post by PsiMoon314 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:15 am

Hi CrashFly,
crashfly wrote: I think what you want is reference material on appropriately building an 'unattended' install CD. Try this sister site with the link pointing to information on the winnt.sif. If that is not enough for you, the other articles can help you properly set up an unattended CD.
Nope :)

I have a fully working SP2 install which works fine, however this has a placeholder product key in the WINNT.SIF which I have to either edit (pain) or change once the OS is installed and before activation (less of a pain).

What I need is whatever the "magic foo" is that you need to get this new SP3 product key feature to work, via an unattended install.

Your reference to MSFN is fine, but it's old, incomplete and has not been updated for SP3 at this time.

Kind Regards

Simon

redxii

Post by redxii » Sun May 11, 2008 11:53 am

[quote="roirraW "edor""]
orestes wrote:May 8 2008, 08:37 PM
slipstream winxp sp0 to sp3 will result some few disadvantages on feature.. like the ie icon on desktop cant be enable via desktop properties
[/quote]That is a not a result of slipstreaming SP3 over SP0 source, that is by design in some attempt to make IE look less integrated. The IE icon option was also removed via a shell32.dll update (released publicly on WU) on SP2.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun May 11, 2008 12:36 pm

PsiMoon314 wrote:Hi CrashFly,
Nope :)

I have a fully working SP2 install which works fine, however this has a placeholder product key in the WINNT.SIF which I have to either edit (pain) or change once the OS is installed and before activation (less of a pain).

What I need is whatever the "magic foo" is that you need to get this new SP3 product key feature to work, via an unattended install.

Your reference to MSFN is fine, but it's old, incomplete and has not been updated for SP3 at this time.

Kind Regards

Simon
I think what you are failing to realize is that a winnt.sif has to be used to set up windows unattended (even partially). The winnt.sif file provides the answers so that the user does not have to. Unless I am mistaken, I do not think the 'attended' setup even looks at the winnt.sif for any of the answers.

Unattended setups are typically booted from the CDROM (which automatically uses the winnt.sif if properly present). Unattended setups can also be run from the command line with the proper command line option:

/u[:answer file]
   Performs an unattended Setup using an answer file (requires
   /s). The answer file provides answers to some or all of the
   prompts that the end user normally responds to during Setup.
So maybe what we need from you PsiMoon314 is a bit of information on how your setup disk is being used. This way we can properly diagnose any potential problems and help you resolve the issue you are having.
--Anonymous

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun May 11, 2008 1:53 pm

He said he's got an install CD that uses winnt.sif, and that it's successful for all the unattended stuff except that he doesn't know (and neither do I) what you have to put in winnt.sif in order to tell it to skip entering a CD key; the unattended equivalent of pressing "Next" and then "No" at the CD key prompt under a fresh XP with SP3 Retail or OEM installation.

He'd rather not edit winnt.sif for each and every Windows installation. It looks like he's just trying to create a generic master disc he can use on every computer and therefore manually enter the CD key after Windows is installed, so that he can still take advantage of the fully unattended installation feature without installing it with a "placeholder" key and changing the key after Windows is installed.

If such a setting in winnt.sif exists, of course. This setting would be new with SP3 but neither of us can find updated information about unattended installations which includes the elements new to SP3.

BTW, apparently SP2c had this feature as well, but this was not available to the public except as already included on some new retail and OEM installation CDs.

Even the new version of setupmgr.exe in the deploy.cab on the full SP3 ISO doesn't let you go past the CD key screen, and there's no option to skip it. My interpretation is that there is no unattended setting for this.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sun May 11, 2008 7:46 pm

well crappy.. i thought that was the case roirraW "edor" but i dont get a prompt like that i get a prompt that says invalid key (when nothing is entered and next is pressed) so it wont let me past that point without a key.. bummer.. i will try again with a different source disc..

thanks for the info

TechnoHunter

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun May 11, 2008 8:21 pm

TechnoHunter wrote:well crappy.. i thought that was the case roirraW "edor" but i dont get a prompt like that i get a prompt that says invalid key (when nothing is entered and next is pressed) so it wont let me past that point without a key.. bummer.. i will try again with a different source disc..

thanks for the info

TechnoHunter
You're welcome. If I may ask out of curiosity, what Service Pack level did you slipstream to SP3 from? I mean was it XP OEM Gold (RTM), SP1 or SP2 before you slipstreamed it to SP3?