MSIInstaller problems with SP3

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
pfishkat

MSIInstaller problems with SP3

Post by pfishkat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:55 pm

I am having problems with MSIInstaller after installing from a corporate XP slipstreamed with Sp3 and the latest updates (9/2008) integrated with RVMI v1.5.3. The errors in the application event log are :

Event Type: Information
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1042
Date: 10/27/2008
Time: 7:20:55 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: HHS-SPZERO
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 1042 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: C:\Install\Java\jre1.6.0_07.msi, 3852, (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), , .

This happens with all MSIInstaller-related events, including webfldrs.msi upon initial login. I didn't notice this until I attempted to install MSOffice 2003 at the end of my "unattended" installation. Since I was also using nLite during my installation, I began working backwards step-by-step. I finally got back to just the slipstreamed-SP3 installation and MSIInstaller worked as expected. Any attempt to use RVMI to modify the installation resulted in the above error messages. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:31 pm

I think that a lot of the .msi issues floating around lately have to do with Windows Installer v4.5. I haven't had any issues installing (or uninstalling) with msi4.5, but I have noticed that just about any and all event log messages are now completely useless.

redxii

Post by redxii » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:34 pm

Is functionality hindered in any way? It just says there's no description for that particular event. If was a Warning or Error event then there's something wrong, but that's an Information event which just says "Yeah ok this happened big whoop".

dolivas

Post by dolivas » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:04 pm

Rogue you might be right but there is somethings wrong as you know from the questions I asked you on your forum I am having all kind of message in the logs and your java install will not work with the -ai1 (/qb) switch I have found this is also a problem with other msi files take for example the latest logmein msi and try and run it with the /qb switch and it will fail. It seems to me that most msi files when used with the /qb switch are failing with the 1606 net work error?

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:11 pm

The /qb switch always works for me. What we do have in common however are the not so helpful event log messages vs. the more descriptive and helpful ones we are used to.

dolivas

Post by dolivas » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Ok I am doing some clean installs right now to test this out I am also not able to install the java installer on my notebook which is still on SP2 with the -ai1 switch? On the notebook I do not have he message just the 1606 error and them the failed to install message

pfishkat

Post by pfishkat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:18 pm

You know, I did notice the msgs early on, but all apps seemed to work so I continued. I got to the Office2k3 install (including the silent chained installation of SP and other updates) and was unable to verify with MS Update the status of these patches. Usually I can confirm installation thru the event log, which is when I began to take the msgs seriously....hmmm. So no, I don't think I have lost any app functionality, just the reliability of event log msgs.

The msgs would show up on Adobe Reader, Java, spybot, flash, shockwave, Dotnet and the event IDs include 1040, 1042, 1033 and 11707.

I did manually install the latest MSI Installer 4.5 - WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe. Didn't make a difference.

I also enabled the MSI logging, but was unable to see anything obvious. I'll study it more at work tomorrow.

Also, I am doing all my test installs on a vm session. Any known issues with VM?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:36 am

RogueSpear wrote:I have noticed that just about any and all [MSIInstaller-related] event log messages are now completely useless.
To be clear for the purpose of reproducibility: Please be specific, everybody. ;)

I guess I can assume this occurs with RyanVM's Update Pack (and others) and most MSI installers...? I have yet to test my own pack for this issue.

This also occurs in XP x64 with my update pack. I have tried copying "%SystemRoot%\%Architecture%\mui\0409\msimsg.dll.mui" to the following directories, but the behavior persists.
  • %SystemRoot%\system32\
    %SystemRoot%\system32\1033\
    %SystemRoot%\system32\en\
    %SystemRoot%\system32\en-US\
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\1033\
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\en\
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\en-US\