Mismatch between latest pack updates and Windows Update??

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Update Pack discussion.
oao

Mismatch between latest pack updates and Windows Update??

Post by oao » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:28 am

I have created an XP 64 disc by applying all SP's and hotfixes using Integrator and nLite, so it should be up to 5eraph's 2008-10_2 pack.

AFter I installed it on my new laptop, Windows update wanted to apply a set of hotfixes. I checked them against the 10_2 pack and only 3 are dated post 10/2 (after the pack):

KB958644
KB890830
KB954211

The rest were earlier and seem to have been included in the pack:

KB956391
KB956803
KB956841
KB957095
KB956390
KB938464
KB952954
KB950974

Furthermore, earlier I inquired here about whether I should install the UAA Bus driver for HDA and I was told by TranceEnergy that it was included in SP1 and I should not worry about it. Yet WU wants to apply it.

I would like some clarifications please.

Thanks.

P.S. That's why I suggested to post updates with their dates, which would make it easier to compare WU with packs.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:20 am

There seems to be a couple things that I should make clearer.
oao wrote:I checked them against the 10_2 pack and only 3 are dated post 10/2 (after the pack)
The following describes how I version my update pack releases:
  • 5er_UpdatePack_XPx64SP2_2008-10_2.7z
    • XPx64SP2 - OS, architecture, service pack level
    • 2008-10 - year-month of release
      • This is meant to correspond to the Patch Tuesday release cycle, not the actual release date of the update pack.
        • For example, v2008-05_0.01 was released in June, but did not include June's Patch Tuesday high priority updates.
    • 2 - ordinal number of release for the given year-month (first release, second release, third release, etc.)
      • This number does not correspond to any particular day of the month. To see exactly when a release was posted, check the changelog. ;)
      • 0 = Public beta prerelease. This will be followed by an additional two digit ordinal number. (0.01, 0.02, etc.)
        • For example, v2008-05_0.01 means: "The first public beta prerelease of May, 2008." This is a real release.
      • 1-9 = Fully-tested release unless followed by an additional two digit ordinal number.
        • For example, v2008-06_3.02 is meant to mean: "The second public beta based on the third fully-tested release of June, 2008." Upon completion of public beta testing, it would have been incremented and re-released as v2008-06_4. This is a fictional release I made up to provide as an example. If it were real, it would have become the fourth fully-tested release of June, 2008.
    In this case, "10_2" literally means, "the second update pack release of October." It was released 10/23 UTC.
I did mention previously that the UAA Bus driver for HDA is included in SP2. Assuming you slipstreamed SP2, the only explanation I can give for needing to install that update after SP2 is that there may be a newer version of that update that I can't find or access. I don't have that hardware, so it won't ever show up in MU for me. I'll try to include said newer version if somebody can provide me a link to the version that is distributed by the MU website.

I can't respond to your implied question of why the updates you list are flagged by the Microsoft Update website as not being installed. I can only tell you that nLite v1.4.9.1 (or earlier) cannot directly slipstream KB938464 or KB956391. They must either be included in a properly coded update pack or somehow set to install at T-13 and first logon, respectively.

oao

Post by oao » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:31 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I understand about the date. The problem is that even with the changelog it is very difficult to figure out whether WU tries to apply fixes you missed, or were left out for specific reasons, or came out after the cutoff date. Which is why I suggeste that (a) for each pack you post the cutoff date (b) for each included update you post the release date. Then it will be a simpler matter to compare the WU list with those and figure out what happened (You can start from the last or next pack.) This will make it easier for people to notify you of updates you missed and simplify matters at both ends. The way it is ["the second update pack release of October." It was released 10/23 UTC."] is not very useful. Am I missing something here?

The UAA is a good example: it's hard to figure out whether a newer version of it was missed. With a date, I can compare the WU release date with the date of the one you listed originally and see if they're different, and if they are notify you.

Regarding the specific updates WU wants to apply:

Six of them were released on 10/14 and I assume that the UTC 10/23 did not include them , right? (hence your exact cutoff date would be helpful, rather than just the UTC).

Here are the earlier ones:

IE7 5/13/08
938964 9/9/2008
952954 8/12/2008
950974 8/12/2008
UAA 3/5/2004

Not clear why WU wants to apply these, and the UAA is apparently the old one. Should I apply them? And should they be added to your future pack?

Thanks.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:59 am

My update pack includes all high priority updates reported as necessary by the Microsoft Update website in one form or other. If you use my update pack and MU says something is missing, then I've fucked up somehow; plain and simple. "In one form or other" is the operative phrase here. I remove updates obsoleted by other updates by checking file versions, not file dates or package release dates. Release dates are irrelevant; the MU website only checks file versions and registry entries, therefore, so do I.

If you're looking for a list of updates to include in your own OS build, don't use my list of included updates for my update pack. You will have an incomplete list. This is what I'd recommend:
  1. Install your OS with the latest service pack slipstreamed and nothing else. When Windows is finished installing, visit the Microsoft Update website and record the KB article numbers for all high priority updates.
  2. Read through TranceEnergy's list and decide what updates you'd like to include in addition to the high priority updates you found in step 1.
  3. Use nLite, AutoPatcher, or whatever your preferred tool to slipstream or install the desired updates for your OS.
If you'd like to know which updates in my update pack supersede certain high priority updates, I can accomodate you. But you must provide the list of high priority updates that aren't explicitly listed in my update pack post: I can't do all the research for you. ;)

oao

Post by oao » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:37 am

All I asked was to post cutoff dates for the packs and release dates of the included updates! Nothing more. This leaves it to me to figure out what's missing and why and let you know any important discrepancies.

The reason I slipstream the OS is to avoid hassles if I need to reinstall it.
What suggest defeats the purpose.

I guess you have something against dates, but I don't know what.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:13 am

I'm not trying to be argumentative or unreasonable. I apologize if it appears as though I am. It is not my intention. I only intend to express my own methodology, which does not take into account release dates. In my view, it's an unnecessary detail so I don't deal with it.

From my own testing of the update pack, I am not missing any high priority updates. If you believe I am in error, please tell me which update(s) you believe I'm missing and I'll respond, kindly, with my own detailed reasoning.

I'll begin with the list you've given above in the order you've given:
  • KB958644 - In the Update Pack since the 10_2 release.
    KB890830 - The registry entry the Windows Update website looks for is in the Update Pack. I don't include the executable (MRT.exe) because there should be no malicious software to remove at first log on. nLite cannot directly slipstream this update.
    KB954211 - In the Update Pack since the 10_1 release.
Most of your list should not appear on the Windows Update website if slipstreamed by nLite. If you did slipstream them then nLite is malfunctioning.

Concerning KB901105: Please upload and send me the file "WindowsUpdate.log". It can be found in your %SystemRoot% directory. The file contains information needed to download the version of the update Microsoft wants you to have. Alternatively, search for "KB901105" in that file and reply with the entire line that contains the following text and the search string. We need the exact download URL to get the correct version. Without the correct version, I cannot help you further concerning it.

Code: Select all

DnldMgr	  * Downloading from http://download.windowsupdate.com/[...]

oao

Post by oao » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:00 am

Well, I think I explained quite thoroughly why dates would be useful FOR USERS, but it looks like I did not convince you. That's my view, but this is your work, so it's your call.

I did not suggest you were in error. My whole point was that it's difficult, without those dates, to figure out if you are. What you suggest I do to clarify that is exactly the hassle that can be avoided with dates.

My method is to slipstream SPs and reduce features with nLite, then slipstream packs since last SP with Integrator.

Given that I applied 10_2, if the 3 updates you listed were included in 10_1 and 10_2, WU should not want to apply them, in which case something is wrong, but I DK what. If they were not included, then it should.

I mentioned that 6 of the updates were dated 10/14 -- were they included in 10_2? If not, then maybe they were not priority.

I will look for the file and upload it tomorrow morning. But do I have to apply the updates first to have the file there?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:58 am

oao wrote:I will look for the file and upload it tomorrow morning. But do I have to apply the updates first to have the file there?
Yes, please apply the updates then post the requested URL or log file.

It sounds like you're using nLite multiple times on the same source. This is problematic at best. Do everything in a single session, in the order nLite dictates, starting with an unaltered source. Removing features, then potentially re-adding them by using an update pack will result in a broken install. This is perhaps why some updates are failing to install properly if you're using my update pack.

I should also mention that I do not remove components or use any other nLite functionality when testing my update pack with nLite. There would be far too many permutations for me to test. I start with an unaltered SP2 source, add my winnt.sif, add the update pack, add IE7 and WMP11 (and their updates), add the VMware audio driver, then I create an ISO and test it in VMware. That's it.

No high priority updates should be listed on the Microsoft Update website when using the latest update pack--this is something I test for. If something is broken or missing in the pack then I fix it before I release.

oao

Post by oao » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:28 pm

Oh, BTW and FYI: I have just installed on a new laptop a disc that I produced with my method (SP2+reduced bloat, then 10_2) and I have not yet detected any messes (although one never knows if any could pop any time). If those missing updates are the only mess, then I can live with it.

Incidentally, you never said if 10_2 included the 6 updates of 10/14. If they were not included, then the mess is even smaller.

oao

Post by oao » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:32 pm

one more thing: assuming there will be no further SPs to XP64, I am not using nLite multiple times. I used it once and the Integrator for each pack. If, however, MS will release SP3, logic says I should start from the MS disc scratch.

My guess is that MS is done with XP.

oao

Post by oao » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:54 pm

Wondering if you know whether new SPs or updates which make previous ones obsolete remove the latter's backup information copied to the HD when installed?

I've seen several comments on that and it's not clear whether it's a good idea to delete such backup info myself, or leave it there.

I seem to recall there is a /NOBACKUP switch, but that requires manual installation, which I don't have the stomach for.

oao

Post by oao » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:05 pm

I have applied the updates and have the section of the log file that recorded the installation.
Since I don't see a way to upload the whole file, I looked for the text you requested.

1. There is no 'Downloading' statement in the log.
2. Neither does it refer to KB901105. Rather, the relevent pieces of text are:

Title = Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
UpdateId = {4097CBBE-63E3-4C56-956E-8F9F1ABED2D5}.100

Device id = PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_284B&SUBSYS_0560107B&REV_04
DriverPingback=1|1|PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_284B&SUBSYS_0560107B&REV_04|...
...2002-10-01|5.2.3790.1830|0x2006|0x180200a|0|Microsoft|Microsoft|...
...Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio|pci\cc_0403
Driver install of {4097CBBE-63E3-4C56-956E-8F9F1ABED2D5} on PCI\CC_0403 succeeded

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update:
Microsoft Corporation - Other Hardware - Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

(... means I split one line into 2 to fit into the message)

Looks like WU does not refer to the UAA as KB901105.

Altogether, 12 updates were installed, but I could find only 10 backup sets stored on the HD. The two that are missing are the UAA and KB890830 (Malicious Software Removal Tool).

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:14 pm

Why would you need a backup set on directly integrated updates?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

oao

Post by oao » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:12 pm

No, no. I was asking about WU applied updates.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:12 pm

I'll answer what I can.
  1. oao wrote:Incidentally, you never said if 10_2 included the 6 updates of 10/14.
    I did not say in so many words in this thread, but they are included as mentioned in the changelog as "high priority updates" under 2008-10_1, except for KB956390 for IE7. I don't include IE7, so I can't include its updates.
    5eraph wrote:No high priority updates should be listed on the Microsoft Update website when using the latest update pack--this is something I test for.
    Please send a copy of your "LAST SESSION.INI" and I'll try to determine why they seem to be missing for you. I suspect that component removals are to blame.
  2. oao wrote:Wondering if you know whether new SPs or updates which make previous ones obsolete remove the latter's backup information copied to the HD when installed?
    Backup information and files are only removed when manually uninstalling an update or using the Disk Cleanup Wizard. For whatever reason, most people do not uninstall obsolete updates before applying a service pack or a newer update. At least I know that I don't.
  3. oao wrote:Looks like WU does not refer to the UAA as KB901105.

Altogether, 12 updates were installed, but I could find only 10 backup sets stored on the HD. The two that are missing are the UAA and KB890830 (Malicious Software Removal Tool).
    It's possible that the downloads remain in the "%SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" directory. To find out you can add ".cab" to all bare files in that folder (named as their SHA-1 hashes) and open them with 7-Zip or WinRAR to see their contents.

oao

Post by oao » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:20 pm

5eraph wrote:
No high priority updates should be listed on the Microsoft Update website when using the latest update pack--this is something I test for.
Please send a copy of your "LAST SESSION.INI" and I'll try to determine why they seem to be missing for you. I suspect that component removals are to blame.

oao:
Since I was also having a few quirks with the slipstreamed disc I decided to do the following:

1. Apply SP2 manually to XP64
2. Apply your 10_2 pack with Integrator
3. Integrate SATA drivers and reduce bloat with nLite
4. Write a new install disc

This should, per you, eliminate any WU updates. If it does not and the same updates are missing again, we will
know for sure that the elimination of components is the culprit, as you think. I will send you the INI file.

5eraph wrote:
Backup information and files are only removed when manually uninstalling an update or using the Disk Cleanup Wizard. For whatever reason, most people do not uninstall obsolete updates before applying a service pack or a newer update. At least I know that I don't.

oao:
The backups are useful if an update is causing problems and must be uninstalled. It would be nice if installing a
new SP/update will remove the backup of those it makes obsolete, but I guess MS does not much care about such
bloat.

5eraph wrote:
It's possible that the downloads remain in the "%SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" directory. To find out you can add ".cab" to all bare files in that folder (named as their SHA-1 hashes) and open them with 7-Zip or WinRAR to see their contents.

oao:
I'll check them out. My guess is that they're not set to generate backups.

oao

Post by oao » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:49 am

OK, I've done it.

At the end of the process WU still wanted to apply the following updates:

KB938127 VML 8/14/07
UAA HDA 3/ 5/04
KB944338 VBScript and JBscript 4/8/08
KB956931 ActiveX Killbits 10/14/08

Note that it still insists on the UAA, as before!!!

The 956931 you said it was for IE7 and indeed it came after I installed IE7.

All the others are gone, but WU wants to apply 2 other old ones. Assuming that either they are not priority or or that you did not miss them, the culprit is the elimination of fratures?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:57 am

oao wrote:Since I was also having a few quirks with the slipstreamed disc I decided to do the following:

1. Apply SP2 manually to XP64
2. Apply your 10_2 pack with Integrator
3. Integrate SATA drivers and reduce bloat with nLite
4. Write a new install disc
Assuming the above information is still accurate with respect to your current build issues, I need the following information to attempt to reproduce and correct those issues:
  • Did you integrate the IE6 addon? If so, what did you use to integrate it: RVMi or nLite? Please include the version number of the application used.
  • I require your "LAST SESSION.INI". I must know all changes made by nLite.
  • Did you test in VMware prior to installing on a live system? If so, did you test from an ISO, or from a burned installation disc?

oao

Post by oao » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:48 pm

I did not integrate the IE6 add-on because I planned to install IE7 subsequently, so I thought there was no need. I note that three of the four missing updates are for IE, so apparently installing IE7 does not obviate the need for the add-on?

Incidentally, after WU installed these 4 updates, today it prompted me again for 93127 and installed it again. I checked and the backup for it was on the hard disk, so it was installed. Why again, any ideas?

Be that as it may, the remaining issue is UAA HDA -- I doubt IE had anything to do with it, so why?

I have the LASTSESSION. INI but I tried to find how-to upload info and could not.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:12 pm

I split the IE6 updates from the update pack due to problems when slipstreaming IE7. If you slipstream IE7 and its updates (KB938127 and KB956390) with nLite then you don't need the addon.

There are multiple versions of KB938127. You probably installed the IE6 update before installing IE7, which would require you to install the version for IE7 afterward. :)

I don't know anything more about UAA HDA. Hopefully your LAST SESSION.INI contains some clues.

This forum does not support uploading files directly. You can post the contents of the file here in the forum, or you can upload the file somewhere like RapidShare or MediaFire and post a link.

oao

Post by oao » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

As far as I recall I went straight for IE7; but perhaps my memory fails me and I did update IE6 first. That would explain the WU updates.

Here's the nLite INI file:

[Main]
Env = 1.4.9.1 - 2.0.50727.1433.Microsoft Windows NT 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2
Target = Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2 - 5.2.3790.3959 - English (United States)

[Tasks]
Remove Components
Unattended Setup
Integrate Drivers
Tweaks
Options

[Components]
;# Applications #
Accessibility Options
Briefcase
Calculator
ClipBook Viewer
Games
Internet Games
Pinball
;# Drivers #
Cameras and Camcorders
Display Adapters
Display Adapters (old)
SCSI/RAID
;# Hardware Support #
Brother Devices
Iomega Zip drive
Multi-port serial adapters
Windows CE USB Host
;# Keyboards #
Albanian keyboard
Arabic (101) keyboard
Arabic (102) AZERTY keyboard
Arabic (102) keyboard
Armenian Eastern keyboard
Armenian Western keyboard
Azeri Cyrillic keyboard
Azeri Latin keyboard
Belarusian keyboard
Belgian (Comma) keyboard
Belgian (Period) keyboard
Belgian French keyboard
Bosnian Cyrillic keyboard
Bosnian keyboard
Bulgarian (Latin) keyboard
Bulgarian keyboard
Canadian French (Legacy) keyboard
Canadian French keyboard
Canadian Multilingual Standard keyboard
Chinese (Simplified) - Microsoft Pinyin IME 3.0 keyboard
Chinese (Simplified) - NeiMa keyboard
Chinese (Simplified) - QuanPin keyboard
Chinese (Simplified) - ShuangPin keyboard
Chinese (Simplified) - US Keyboard keyboard
Chinese (Simplified) - ZhengMa keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - Alphanumeric keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - Array keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - Big5 Code keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - ChangJie keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - DaYi keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - New ChangJie keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - New Phonetic keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - Phonetic keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - Quick keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - Unicode keyboard
Chinese (Traditional) - US Keyboard keyboard
Croatian keyboard
Czech (QWERTY) keyboard
Czech keyboard
Czech Programmers keyboard
Danish keyboard
Devanagari - INSCRIPT keyboard
Divehi Phonetic keyboard
Divehi Typewriter keyboard
Dutch keyboard
Estonian keyboard
Faeroese keyboard
Farsi keyboard
Finnish keyboard
Finnish with Sami keyboard
French keyboard
FYRO Macedonian keyboard
Gaelic keyboard
Georgian keyboard
German (IBM) keyboard
German keyboard
Greek (220) keyboard
Greek (220) Latin keyboard
Greek (319) keyboard
Greek (319) Latin keyboard
Greek keyboard
Greek Latin keyboard
Greek Polytonic keyboard
Gujarati keyboard
Hindi Traditional keyboard
Hungarian 101-key keyboard
Hungarian keyboard
Icelandic keyboard
Inuktitut Latin keyboard
Irish keyboard
Italian (142) keyboard
Italian keyboard
Japanese Input System (MS-IME2002) keyboard
Japanese keyboard
Kannada keyboard
Kazakh keyboard
Korean Input System (IME 2000) keyboard
Korean keyboard
Kyrgyz Cyrillic keyboard
Latin American keyboard
Latvian (QWERTY) keyboard
Latvian keyboard
Lithuanian IBM keyboard
Lithuanian keyboard
Luxembourgish keyboard
Maltese 47-key keyboard
Maltese 48-key keyboard
Maori keyboard
Marathi keyboard
Mongolian Cyrillic keyboard
Nepali keyboard
Norwegian keyboard
Norwegian with Sami keyboard
Pashto keyboard
Polish (214) keyboard
Polish (Programmers) keyboard
Portuguese (Brazilian ABNT) keyboard
Portuguese (Brazilian ABNT2) keyboard
Portuguese keyboard
Punjabi keyboard
Russian (Typewriter) keyboard
Russian keyboard
Sami Extended Finland-Sweden keyboard
Sami Extended Norway keyboard
Serbian (Cyrillic) keyboard
Serbian (Latin) keyboard
Slovak (QWERTY) keyboard
Slovak keyboard
Slovenian keyboard
Spanish keyboard
Spanish Variation keyboard
Swedish keyboard
Swedish with Sami keyboard
Swiss French keyboard
Swiss German keyboard
Syriac keyboard
Syriac Phonetic keyboard
Tamil keyboard
Tatar keyboard
Telugu keyboard
Thai Kedmanee (non-ShiftLock) keyboard
Thai Kedmanee keyboard
Thai Pattachote (non-ShiftLock) keyboard
Thai Pattachote keyboard
Turkish F keyboard
Turkish Q keyboard
Ukrainian keyboard
United Kingdom Extended keyboard
United Kingdom keyboard
United States-Dvorak for left hand keyboard
Urdu keyboard
US English Table for IBM Arabic 238_L keyboard
Uzbek Cyrillic keyboard
Vietnamese keyboard
;# Languages #
;Arabic
Arabic (Algeria)
Arabic (Bahrain)
Arabic (Egypt)
Arabic (Iraq)
Arabic (Jordan)
Arabic (Kuwait)
Arabic (Lebanon)
Arabic (Libya)
Arabic (Morocco)
Arabic (Oman)
Arabic (Qatar)
Arabic (Saudi Arabia)
Arabic (Syria)
Arabic (Tunisia)
Arabic (U.A.E.)
Arabic (Yemen)
Divehi (Maldives)
Pashto
Syriac (Syria)
Urdu
;Armenian
Armenian
;Baltic
Estonian
Latvian
Lithuanian
;Central Europe
Albanian
Bosnian (Latin, Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Croatian
Croatian (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Czech
Hungarian
Polish
Romanian
Serbian (Latin)
Serbian (Latin, Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Slovak
Slovenian
;Cyrillic
Azeri (Cyrillic)
Belarusian
Bosnian (Cyrillic, Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Bulgarian
FYRO Macedonian
Kazakh
Kyrgyz (Kyrgyzstan)
Mongolian (Mongolia)
Russian
Serbian (Cyrillic)
Serbian (Cyrillic, Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Tatar
Ukrainian
Uzbek (Cyrillic)
;Georgian
Georgian
;Greek
Greek
;Indic
Gujarati (India)
Hindi
Kannada (India)
Konkani
Marathi
Nepali (Nepal)
Punjabi (India)
Sanskrit
Tamil
Telugu (India)
;Japanese
Japanese
;Korean
Korean
;Simplified Chinese
Chinese (PRC)
Chinese (Singapore)
;Thai
Farsi
Thai
;Traditional Chinese
Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
Chinese (Macau S.A.R.)
Chinese (Taiwan)
;Turkic
Azeri (Latin)
Turkish
Uzbek (Latin)
;Vietnamese
Vietnamese
;Western Europe and United States
Afrikaans
Basque
Catalan
Danish
Dutch (Belgium)
Dutch (Netherlands)
English (Australia)
English (Belize)
English (Canada)
English (Caribbean)
English (Ireland)
English (Jamaica)
English (New Zealand)
English (Philippines)
English (South Africa)
English (Trinidad)
English (United Kingdom)
English (Zimbabwe)
Faeroese
Filipino
Finnish
French (Belgium)
French (Canada)
French (France)
French (Luxembourg)
French (Monaco)
French (Switzerland)
Frisian
Galician (Spain)
German (Austria)
German (Germany)
German (Liechtenstein)
German (Luxembourg)
German (Switzerland)
Icelandic
Indonesian
Inuktitut (Latin)
Irish
Italian (Italy)
Italian (Switzerland)
Luxembourgish
Malay (Brunei Darussalam)
Malay (Malaysia)
Maltese
Maori
Mapudungun
Mohawk
Norwegian (Bokmal)
Norwegian (Nynorsk)
Portuguese (Brazil)
Portuguese (Portugal)
Quechua (Bolivia)
Quechua (Ecuador)
Quechua (Peru)
Romansh
Sami, Inari (Finland)
Sami, Lule (Norway)
Sami, Lule (Sweden)
Sami, Northern (Finland)
Sami, Northern (Norway)
Sami, Northern (Sweden)
Sami, Skolt (Finland)
Sami, Southern (Norway)
Sami, Southern (Sweden)
Sesotho sa Leboa (South Africa)
Setswana (South Africa)
Spanish (Argentina)
Spanish (Bolivia)
Spanish (Chile)
Spanish (Colombia)
Spanish (Costa Rica)
Spanish (Dominican Republic)
Spanish (Ecuador)
Spanish (El Salvador)
Spanish (Guatemala)
Spanish (Honduras)
Spanish (International Sort)
Spanish (Mexico)
Spanish (Nicaragua)
Spanish (Panama)
Spanish (Paraguay)
Spanish (Peru)
Spanish (Puerto Rico)
Spanish (Traditional Sort)
Spanish (Uruguay)
Spanish (Venezuela)
Swahili
Swedish
Swedish (Finland)
Welsh
Xhosa
Zulu
;# Multimedia #
AOL ART Image Format Support
Images and Backgrounds
Luna desktop theme
MIDI audio support
Movie Maker
Music Samples
Old CDPlayer and Sound Recorder
Speech Support
;# Network #
Communication tools
H323 MSP
Internet Connection Wizard
IP Conferencing
MSN Explorer
Netmeeting
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol
Synchronization Manager
Windows Messenger
;# Operating System Options #
Administration Tools Pack
Administrator VB scripts
Color Schemes
FAT to NTFS converter
File and Settings Wizard
IExpress Wizard
Input Method Editor
Private Character Editor
Search Assistant
Service Pack Messages
Shell Media Handler
Symbolic Debugger (NTSD)
Tour
Web View
;# Services #
Alerter
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
Messenger
Remote Registry
Removable Storage
Secondary Logon
Telnet
Uninterruptible Power Supply
;# Compatibility #
Compat01
Compat02
Compat03
Compat04
Compat06
Compat07
Compat09
Compat14

[KeepFiles]
msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]
clock.avi
yahoo.bmp
swtchbrd.bmp

[Options]
ClassicSetup
ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"
TargetPath = "WINDOWS"
temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
RemoveMUI

[Patches]
TcpIp = 100

[Services2]

[Tweaks]
Boot and Shutdown-Ctrl-Alt-Del at logon-Enabled
Boot and Shutdown-Disable Shutdown Tracker
Boot and Shutdown-Do not Parse Autoexec.bat
Boot and Shutdown-Logon Page-Classic
Boot and Shutdown-Numlock-Off
Boot and Shutdown-Setup Prefetch-Cache-Boot prefetching enabled
Boot and Shutdown-Show Administrator on the Welcome Screen
Boot and Shutdown-Status Messages-Default
Desktop-Desktop icons size-16
Desktop-Internet Explorer icon-Hide
Desktop-My Computer icon-Show
Desktop-My Documents icon-Show
Desktop-My Network Places icon-Show
Desktop-Recycle Bin icon-Show
Desktop-Wrap icon titles-Enable
Explorer-Classic Control Panel
Explorer-Disable Autorun
Explorer-Disable Prefix: Shortcut to
Explorer-Disable Web Files and Folders connection
Explorer-Display the contents of system folders
Explorer-Launch folder windows in a separate process
Explorer-Preset Places Bar to-C:, D:, E:, Desktop, My Network Places
Explorer-Remove Send To on context menu
Explorer-Show extensions of known file-types
Explorer-Show hidden files and folders
Explorer-Show protected operating system files
Explorer-Show Statusbar in all windows
Internet Explorer-Disable Download Complete notification
Internet Explorer-Disable information bar when popup is blocked
Internet Explorer-Disable Market Place bookmark
Internet Explorer-Disable Media Player 6.4 created bookmarks
Internet Explorer-Disable Outlook Express link creation
Internet Explorer-Disable Password-Caching
Internet Explorer-Keep IE URL-History for-0 Days
Internet Explorer-Set IE-Cache limit to-8 MB
Internet Explorer-Set Internet Explorer to accept 10 connects at a time
Internet Explorer-Set popup-blocker to high
My Computer-Add Drive Cleanup to Context Menu
My Computer-Remove Manage from Context Menu
My Computer-Remove Search from Context Menu
Network-Disable automatic search for network folders and printers
Network-Disable restoring mapped network drives on logon
Performance-Disable Optimize harddisk when idle
Performance-Disable Tracking of Broken Shortcut Links
Performance-Disable Warn on low disk space
Performance-Disable WBEM logging
Performance-Do not cache thumbnails
Performance-Use Windows classic folders / No Tasks Sidepanel
Privacy-Disable Error Reporting
Privacy-Remove Alexa
Security-Always show Updates under Software
Security-Disable Screensaver
Start Menu-Clear most recently opened documents list on logoff
Start Menu-Disable and remove Documents list from the Start Menu
Start Menu-Do not use Personalized Menus
Start Menu-My Computer-Don't display this item
Start Menu-My Documents-Don't display this item
Start Menu-My Music-Don't display this item
Start Menu-My Network Places-Don't display this item
Start Menu-My Pictures-Don't display this item
Start Menu-Printers and Faxes-Display as a menu
Start Menu-Reduce popup delay
Start Menu-Remove Logoff User
Start Menu-Remove Windows Catalog shortcut
Taskbar-Disable Balloon Tips
Taskbar-Disable Group similar Taskbar buttons
Taskbar-Disable Language-Bar
Taskbar-Lock the Taskbar-No
Visual Effects-Active window tracking-Disable
Visual Effects-Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing-Disable
Visual Effects-Combo box animation-Disable
Visual Effects-Display mouse pointer trails-Short
Visual Effects-Fade out selection-Disable
Visual Effects-Menu animation-Disable
Visual Effects-Menu shadows-Disable
Visual Effects-Menu style-Normal
Visual Effects-Show window contents while dragging-Disable
Visual Effects-Smooth edges of screen fonts-Clear Type
Visual Effects-Smooth-scroll list boxes-Disable
Visual Effects-Tooltip animation-Disable
Windows Media Player-Disable starting with Media Guide
Windows Media Player-Enhanced privacy settings
Windows Media Player-Optimize fullscreen mode behavior

[Unattended]
ComputerType = ACPI Uniprocessor x64
HibernationNo
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12
RestorePointLife = 30
DesktopTheme = Default||
AutoUDay = 5
AutoUHour = 15
ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"

[NetAdapter1]
connname = ""
macaddress = ""
ipaddress = "192.168.0.1"
subnetmask = "255.255.255.0"
defaultgateway = ""
dnsserver1 = ""
dnsserver2 = ""
winsserver = ""
netbiossetting = "0"
ipxnetworknumber = "00000000"
ipxnetworkframetype = "0xFF"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ESB2
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ESB2
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH10DDO
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH10R
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7MMDH
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH7MDH
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7RDH
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH7RDH
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH8MEICH9ME
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH8MEM
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH8RDHDO
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH8RICH9RICH10RDO
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH9MEM
I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH9RDODH

[Hotfixes]

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:01 am

I tried your LAST SESSION.INI with the following changes (in green) in VMware. I can find no obvious problems.

[Tasks]
Remove Components
[color=#30FF30];[/color]Unattended Setup
[color=#30FF30];[/color]Integrate Drivers
Tweaks
Options
[color=#30FF30]Create a Bootable ISO[/color]

;# Drivers #
Cameras and Camcorders
Display Adapters
Display Adapters (old)
[color=#30FF30];[/color]SCSI/RAID

[Drivers]
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ESB2
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ESB2
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH10DDO
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH10R
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7MMDH
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH7MDH
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7RDH
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH7RDH
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH8MEICH9ME
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH8MEM
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH8RDHDO
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH8RICH9RICH10RDO
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH9MEM
[color=#30FF30];[/color]I:\SATA\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH9RDODH
However, I do not have High Definition Audio hardware. And, to the best of my knowledge, VMware cannot simulate it. The correct SP2 version of the affected file (HDAudBus.sys v5.10.1.5013) exists in the nLited source with its references in DOSNet.inf and TxtSetup.sif intact. If a newer version exists on the Microsoft Update website, I do not have access to it. Unless you can get me a newer version of that file, my only suggestion would be to restore the following components in nLite and see if it helps.
  • MIDI audio support
  • Old CDPlayer and Sound Recorder
  • Speech Support

oao

Post by oao » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:41 pm

Well, next time I do a slipstream, I will try your suggestion. If all I need to deal with is the UAA, however, that's OK. Although I don't undersstand one thing: if the UAA is in SP1 and I applied SP@+, why does WU reapply it? Even if I deleted those features?

I checked hdaudbus.sys and it is the same version you specified AFTER it was applied by WU, so apparently there is no newer file.

One weird thing I noticed in XP64: when I seearch for files in Windows, Search says there is no file, but the file is there. Any idea why?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:20 pm

I'm afraid I don't have answers for those questions. I don't know how WU checks for the existence of the proper UAA driver. And I have not run into your issue with the search assistant; it always works for me.

oao

Post by oao » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Do you happen to know whether the IE7 install can be slipstreamed with the /integrate switch?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:28 am

I haven't tried the /integrate switch in over a year with the 32-bit installer. But if x64 is anything like the 32-bit installer then the answer is no, it won't work. :(

nLite can do it though. It can also handle IE8b2.

oao

Post by oao » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:04 am

I know nLite can do it, but what I want is tricky.

I want to slipstream SP2 and IE7 manually, then apply all post sp2 updates with Integrator and then tweak the features of the result with nLite.

There are several reasons I wanna do it this way:

1. To not apply the hotfixes AFTER nLite
2. To use nLite only once for tweaking, NOT REPEATEDLY
3. Don't think nLite can apply both IE7 and its updates in one session; it would have to do it in a specific sequence (1st IE7 then updates) and I am not sure it does that.

But if you think it's OK to apply the packs after the tweaking and IE7 by nLite, I could go that way.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:46 am

You can add everything at once with nLite without worry. I make sure to slip IE7 before its updates.

Here's an example from my LAST SESSION.INI (with paths removed for clarity):

[Hotfixes]
5er_UpdatePack_XPx64SP2_2008-10_2.7z
IE7-WindowsServer2003-x64-enu.exe
IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB938127-x64-ENU.exe
IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB956390-x64-ENU.exe
wmp11-windowsxp-x64-enu.exe
windowsmedia11-kb928788-x64-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb929399-v2-x64-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb929773-x64-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb932390-x64-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb933547-x64-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb935551-x64-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb935552-x64-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb939209-x64-intl.exe
WindowsMedia11-KB939683-x64-ENU.exe
WindowsMedia11-KB941569-x64-ENU.exe
windowsmedia11-kb944882-x64-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb945381-x64-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb950478-x64-intl.exe
windowsmedia11-kb954067-x64-intl.exe
WindowsMedia11-KB954154-x64-ENU.exe

oao

Post by oao » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:01 am

So nLite can apply your packs too! Did not know that.

How about .NET Frame (3.5 v2 and its SP1)?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:33 am

HJW has a switchless installer. I haven't tried it yet.

oao

Post by oao » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:06 pm

I tried to read about switchless installers, but found them too much of a hassle, unless I missed something and they can just be applied by nLite too.

oao

Further on the UAA HDA hotfix KB901105

Post by oao » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:29 am

Earlier I reported that WU insists on applying this fix even though I nLited SP2 and 5eraph's add-on to the SP1 disc.

So when I next slipstreamed I tried to add this hotfix to nLite, but when it's turn came, nLite claimed it was not for the xp64 version I was slipstreaming.

DK why, the download page says it's for x64:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 79BD9D24F9

TranceEnergy

Post by TranceEnergy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:21 pm

oao : How many times do you need to be told? It is already integrated in SP2. The reason WU lists it, is because it just isnt detected properly. Even after i install Realtek HD audio codec, its still listed.

Much the same as the issue with the flash 6 ocx file, if u dont update that kb for that, even if u have flash 9 or 10 installed, it will be listed as missing.

The solution is simple delete the swflash inf file and the old flash 6 ocx, since one doesnt need it, then WU no longer lists that.

I suppose one could do something of the same with the MS UAA bus driver issue. I know i do and its working fine for me.

oao

Post by oao » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:22 pm

I just wanted to report what happens if you try to slipstream it, that's all.
The message by nLite is puzzling.

And anyway, I would not know what to do to prevent WU from bothering me.

Passion

Post by Passion » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:31 pm

oao wrote:My method is to slipstream SPs and reduce features with nLite, then slipstream packs since last SP with Integrator.
This is not a smart order, since the update pack (and other packs added using RVMI) will re-introduce a lot of moot files into the iso that will never get used since you removed their core using nLite. I'd say;
Remove parts, services and reg-entries from the image as the last step of creating one. This is always safest.

Passion

Post by Passion » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:38 pm

TranceEnergy wrote:The solution is simple delete the swflash inf file and the old flash 6 ocx, since one doesnt need it, then WU no longer lists that.
You could also try doing this during RunOnce at the end of nLite:

DEL /S /F /Q "%WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution\*" >NUL
which will 'cure' your local WU database of some mess.