Which os to use?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
sayeds

Which os to use?

Post by sayeds » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:47 am

hi evry1. hope u had a great holiday. i need some advice, i recently acquired a new pc and am having difficulty on choosing which os to install. its a intel quad core 2.5 4gig ram xfx gforce 8800gt 512Mb. i have tried both the 32bit and 64bit versions of vista sp1, and have been sorely disappointed. fully licenced versions of xp x86 sp3 and xp x64 sp2 are also available to me. which one should i use to get the best performance out of my new rig? thanx in advance.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:50 am

It shouldn't come as a surprise; I prefer XP x64. 64-bit apps perform integer operations considerably faster than their 32-bit counterparts. And you'll be able to use all four gigabytes of your memory.

If you want to use DirectX 10, however, you'll have to stick with Vista. I'd still recommend the x64 version for the reasons listed above.

Just make sure that all of your hardware is supported in x64 OSes before making the switch: Find your drivers first.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:29 am

I would agree on that. XP x86-64 is working quite well for myself. Newer hardware is being supported more and more. And honestly, if I can help it, I will never use that bloatware called vista. They took a perfectly good OS (XP) and added too much crap.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:54 pm

As soon as 8.0 goes final I'm blowing away my laptop and finally making the move to SimplyMEPIS as my full time OS. I'll still need to support XP for work and a couple of clients, but for me.. well most of the apps I use these days have native Linux versions or are browser based.

When Ubuntu released 7.10 I switched my parents over. I haven't had a call for help since. Recently switched my father in law to Ubuntu 8.10 and he couldn't be happier. For those of you who are tech support for friends and family you couldn't do yourself a bigger favor than to make that move.

Passion

Post by Passion » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:39 pm

5eraph wrote:If you want to use DirectX 10, however, you'll have to stick with Vista.
That's not true any longer. For me DirectX 10 works quite well, stable even, using this: http://blog.brothersoft.com/2008/12/10/ ... indows-xp/ and yes, it *does* work fine (DX 10 in XP64). The switcher is especially handy at times as well. I'm using this on a Gigabyte GeForce 9600 GT 1GB [GV-NX96T1GHP] myself, and have yet to meet any issues. But then, I'm not a pro gamer. I do the occasional game at rare times, and they all work as fast as they should in my opinion. Video-editing and encoding and HD/Bluray are all perfect in absurdly large resolutions.

XP64 wins hands down from any other desktop workstation OS on the market today, still. Driver-support has grown A LOT since last year. Most, if not all, big brands support XP x64 Edition now.

There's a fascinating thread about XP x64 Edition versus Vista here:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=103 ... tcount=137

My advice for Linux goes to CentOS 5.2 (x64).
For Windows I favor XP x64 Edition (64 bit, the WoW premier, it's rock-stable!). I'd wait out for a decent Windows 7 before even trying to go Vista.