How can you legally host Microsoft files, hotfixes, etc.?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
twalp

How can you legally host Microsoft files, hotfixes, etc.?

Post by twalp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:17 am

Pardon the possibly naive question but why does Microsoft let you host their software and make it available for download via your "update pack"? The few integration programs I've used all require the user to download the hotfixes, etc., from Msoft's own site.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:48 am

it pays to have friends in "High" places...

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:25 am

twalp, this place does not host "their" software. Which means if you are looking for an operating system for your computer, you are not going to find that here. What *is* hosted are update packs to make "their" software updated.

Since MS does not make these update packs on "their" own, this can be done without too much problem. Single hotfixes and updates are *not* hosted by this site and are linked directly to the support page at Microsoft. Being those single updates are in unmodified form, one could not host them without MS possibly having something to say.

Besides, I like Kel's answer. It does have a ring of truth to it. :)
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:51 am

Also I have heard that some of those places that did get in trouble for hosting MS files got in trouble because they offered a pay option. Pay this much and have a cd sent to you. Which more than likley is what sparked MS's interest in them. ;)

If there ever became an issue here with hosting ms files we have allready got a backup plan as well.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

litemirrors

Post by litemirrors » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:44 am

Siginet wrote:If there ever became an issue here with hosting ms files we have allready got a backup plan as well.
Thank god :W I was fearful... with all these ridiculious plans from companies saying they own copyrights to things it's just sick, I mean I find it funny that Apple Computer was sued by the beetles for years over their dumb Apple logo simply because Apple was also the name of the beatles dumb company they made that never did anything, ugh... I can go on... but dumb things like that, and also they both had apple logos, but hell a pic of an apple isn't tradermarked by anyone but LIFE, I would love to hear the planet sue ppl that violate it's copyright lol

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Honestly, I've been operating on the "If they cared, they would have done something about it by now" philosophy for awhile now :)
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:03 pm

wasnt there something involved like that with that bart pe site?

Kurt_Aust

Post by Kurt_Aust » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:49 pm

I would suggest that it also has a lot to do with the fact that the main reason Microsoft Windows is the dominant desktop operating system is the scope of the third party ecosystem and the level of third party support available.

If Microsoft starts stomping on third party support sites, that will have a chilling effect of the ecosystem. That doesn't mean that hobbyist third part development will stop, but a fair amount of it is likely to move to a platform (Linux) where there will be no such issues.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:23 pm

ccl0 wrote:wasnt there something involved like that with that bart pe site?
Yes, I remember when BartPE v1.x and 2.x came out. 2.x violated MS terms less than 1.x, but still not quite good enough but with 3.x they fully satisfied MS's requirements.

We never know when a company and/or it's lawyers will get bored and on a whim decide to expand their aggressive behavior by clamping down on more "gray area" behavior. Ah, bureaucracy. :D

I read that scientists are going to start using lawyers in experiments instead of mice. There's more lawyers, the scientists get emotionally attached to the mice too easily, and there's some things that mice just won't do.
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64