Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 4

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:45 am

@namitutonka: 1. What is the error you get when you install Beta 3?
2. The only driver-related change in Beta 3 is the updated driver.cab file. Probably the driver.cab in the original media contains special drivers. Send methe MD5 hash from the original installation disk, so that I can check it when I return.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:09 am

As a bonus, I have been thinking about creating a Global SP4 package, enabling users to perform live/Cdrom installations in any language they desire. MUI packs can be used in home edition as well, and there are some apps doing this. This pack might be created after SP4 final release.

alsyundawy

Post by alsyundawy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:34 am

waiting :D

Atari800xl

Post by Atari800xl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:13 am

Sorry to be so lazy guys, but thought you might want to read this Wilders Security post about POSReady updates and XP:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/ ... st-2398472

And Harkaz (sorry to be impatient as well), do you have any ETA on any new SP4 versions we can test? I would love to do some more WinNTSetup tests... Or do you have all that stuff covered already and will there only be a final version coming up?

Briant

Post by Briant » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:16 pm

I found a reproducible error involving SP4 and a system using the XP crack "AntiWAT 3.5.1". SP4 version = WindowsXP-USP4-Beta3-x86-ENU.exe

I've made several virtual machine installs of XP using Pro and Home and SP4 installs perfectly on machines without AntiWAT. If I use AntiWAT to activate the VM (which I usually do because it's easier than punching in my key) then SP4 will fail to install. I've tried this several times and it happens every time. If I uninstall AntiWAT and try again, it will install fine.

The error is like this:
Details: "Performing inventory"
It will stay there for a while, and then:
"An internal error has occured"
Click OK and:
"Service Pack 4 installation did not complete."

Furthermore, I know it's your project and all, but I would more like to see an SP4 including only official XP updates and no POS2009 hacks involved. But after having just reinstalled XP on some old machines recently, it was such a hassle to use Windows Update on all of them. It takes forever, and the more annoying part is, you install like 120 updates, then restart, and then there's another bunch of updates for the updates, and you have to repeat the process like 4 times in order to get all the updates. It's really stupid. This SP4 will come in handy to avoid that, but I think I'll manually be removing the POS2009 registry hack to avoid any problems that could come about by using it. For my machines it's not such a big deal, but if somebody else is using those machines I want them to not have any problems.

Keep up the great work though!

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:35 pm

We don't support, allow or condone warez here. It's not harkaz's responsibility if your going to use un-trustable cracks and illegal software to support your thievery...

Briant

Post by Briant » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:00 pm

If I use AntiWAT to activate the VM (which I usually do because it's easier than punching in my key)
I have legit keys. Next time read the post properly before calling someone a thief. Thanks.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:15 pm

Doesn't matter its still warez and you said "because it's easier than punching in my key" so you don't actually use your key, do you... Do you use other peoples gas too?

Bottom line its not other peoples responsibility to support you laziness then...

Using and mentioning cracks still perpetuates the issue...

Briant

Post by Briant » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Well you could have just left it at "this site does not support warez" instead of wrongfully accusing someone of thievery.

Regardless of whether this issue will be looked into or not, it's at least documented here so if anyone is having that same issue, it's possible it may be because of the AntiWAT.

Your analogy of using other people's gas is ridiculous and you know it.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:40 pm

Your expectation of support for cracks is even more so. Move along...

ianymaty

Post by ianymaty » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:22 am

Why don't you make it unattended and put your key in WINNT.SIF? You can also do some customization there. nLite can help you with that. Don't find excuses.

mukke

Post by mukke » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:24 am

Briant wrote:but I would more like to see an SP4 including only official XP updates and no POS2009 hacks involved
I second that. It would look more like M$ would should have done it (besides testing more scenarios one -except harkaz- could imagine)

Your time and work on all of this is really appreciated! Thank you.

Edit: just realizing it took me over 5½ years to post on this awesome forum - lol

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:02 pm

@harkaz: Is there any possibility to be made some multiple choose version of the service pack 4, to select which features we want to install beside all hotfixes and security updates?
Because I want to install SP4 directly on XP Mode (live install), and there I don't need some stuffs, which in this particular situation are completely useless and only slow down my virtual machine. Everything I need are almost only all updates and nothing more.
Also for free space safe will be nice for user to be able to choose on the end of installation does he/she want to save backup files for future uninstallation possibility or not (In XP era Virtual Machine scenario additional backup files from around 250MB are too big.)

Just for an illustration: Before installation of SP4, my VHD file from Windows XP Mode (Professional N with SP3), is 1.35 GB, after installation of SP4 is 4,37 GB.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:29 am

Most of that space gain is purely from the .net files

adric

Post by adric » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:19 am

Update Tuesday (Aug 12, 2014) WEPOS and POSReady 2009

KB2976627 MS14-051 (IE) replaces KB2962872
KB2918614 MS14-049
KB2982791 MS14-045 replaces KB2930275 KB2876331
KB2981580 Cumulative time zone update replaces KB2904266

AL

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:25 am

Does anyone know what changes are made in the KB2981580 Time Zone update?
Is it necessary for Windows XP. My clock already changes to the correct time when spring/fall arrives.

Hi harkaz. I'm like a kid waiting for Santa on Christmas eve.
But is it too early to ask about KB2976627 (IE8 update) ported to Windows XP?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:04 am

The changes are described in KB2981580, darkrats. They're only important to you if you regularly travel to the following areas, or work with people from those areas.
Microsoft wrote:The following changes were made since the previous Windows cumulative time zone update [KB2904266]:
  • Jordan Standard Time:
    For 2014 and onward, Jordan has changed its DST Start time from the last Thursday in March at midnight to the last Friday in March at 1 A.M., and its DST End time from the last Friday in October at 1 A.M to the last Friday in October at midnight. (2922717)
  • Fiji Standard Time:
    For 2014 only, Fiji has changed its DST End time from January 19 at 3 A.M. to January 19 at 2 A.M. (2922717)
  • Paraguay Standard Time:
    For 2014 and onward, Paraguay has changed its DST End date from the second Sunday in April to the fourth Sunday in March. (2935092)
  • Turkey Standard Time:
    For 2014 only, Turkey has changed its DST Start time from March 30 at 3 A.M. to March 31 at 3 A.M. (2935092)
  • Pacific SA Standard Time
    For 2014 only, the DST Start time is changed from the Last Saturday in April (April 26) at midnight to the Last Saturday in April (April 26) at 11 P.M., and the DST End time is changed from the first Saturday in September (Sept. 6) at midnight to First Sunday in September (Sept. 7) at 1 A.M. (2935092)
  • Egypt Standard Time
    For 2014, Egypt has set its DST Start time at Thursday, May 15 at one minute before midnight, and its DST End time at Thursday, September 25 at one minute before midnight. (2981580)
  • Line Islands Standard Time
    A new time zone for Kiritimati Island (UTC+14) is added. (2981580)
  • SA Pacific Standard Time
    Starting on November 10, 2013, the display name is changed from "(UTC-05:00) Bogota, Lima, Quito" to "(UTC-05:00) Bogota, Lima, Quito, Rio Branco." (2922717)
Last edited by 5eraph on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks 5eraph.
It doesn't affect me, here in the Mountain Zone, but I wish they would scrap DST.

I remember standing on a chair, standing on a table, changing a clock at work. Everything collapsed and I spent the next few days limping around my fellow workers.
Someone told me later that only the maintainence people were allow to do things like change the clocks on the walls or replace lightbulbs!

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:24 pm

@mukke @Braint
not literally a hack to continue getting updates, its more of a small patch to continue the windows xp support patches from hackers.

It maybe a to much or a bit to late depending on how he is doing the setup and patches.

I would bet he has one side of a partition from a 1tb drive nothing but windows xp stuff with everything organized and not getting confused between what files n such accumulating near at least 100GBs-200GBs with room for more and optimizing updates. One thing is for sure is have a lot of space for this project is really needed. Doesn’t matter how big, nor wanna to get caught up tangled in a mess when you have what space is left, then it be askn for trouble.

But to me, I like to have all updated patches with the programs that me, my brother, and my mom like to use without any problems of missing anything from haven issues from programs. I’m reduing at least 3 pc systems for XP, 4rth one maybe on the pc i am now even thou it will only reach due to 32bit windows xp limitations like how fast to support more than 6-8gigs, sucks that there wasn’t a 64bit SP3 unless we make one by harkaz, but even then, depending on where to start between 32 vs 64 is probably more complicated either it is or not of a way but that be one hell of a project which guarantee probably won’t take at any yrs to come by. Plus with more on people like harkaz part, it really be possible to do but there’s limit on what people can do and like organizations on taking part of the project while all be working together witch there not getting payed to do so when they aren’t the one’s created it in the first place and not getting payed for it either. Other than we can perfected really better than what microsoft did but that will take a lot of our time on doing something else that we all do most of.

One question I do have in mind for you two is what is your use for over on vmware? bc sometimes (about 85% depending what it really is) having a legit host is better than using a virtual ware of doing it. But I do understand either way why you have chosen. (With limitations n such like money and or space for another hard drive added to the pc for the vmware to be on.)

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:23 pm

Has harkaz posted the latest IE8/XP security update?
Is the best place to look for a link at the start of this thread?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:55 pm

He has not, darkrats.
On 2014-07-30, harkaz wrote:Because I will be away from my system for the next 20 days, I won't be able to build the ported-to-XP August 2014 updates in time. I'll try to keep up with the latest posts and news via mobile.

After vacation I'll have 1+ month with (supposedly) enough free time to create a stable build.
That puts his return somewhere near the 19th of this month. Updates may follow shortly after.

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Okay, thanks for letting me know.
I'll try to exercise some patience (not always a strong trait of mine).

mukke

Post by mukke » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:06 am

Anthony21 wrote:@mukke @Braint
... One question I do have in mind for you two is what is your use for over on vmware? bc sometimes (about 85% depending what it really is) having a legit host is better than ...
Sometimes?
Only speaking for myself, I'm using (a legit) XP SP3 as my main (and currently only) os primary because it is sufficient and meets my present requirements (due to considerable changes at both professional and private levels in real life).
Also, I'm fully aware what to change in registry whether you call it a hack, patch or tweak. After reading the whole thread to not miss important info again let me clarify that i was not asking for anything. In fact I should have said my opinion much earlier, but i didn't recognized harkaz question on the subject. I think it might have been a good approach to not include any POSReady/WEPOS updates at all but instead add them as separate (post-sp4) update pack like bphlpt already said in 2013. Beneficial effect might have been a decrease in harkaz load on the "amazing job on this project". Thank you once again.

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:26 pm

I am to using a legit disk, i posted a pick of a cd a few pages back thank you very much, i wasn't trying to start an argument of anything. on my vmware boots really fast since i don't have to worry about slowness and have it on a 128gb SSD for 40gigs of windows xp with a over clock 5.0GHZ i7 and still have plenty on what i need to do on OSX.

and two, i thought the the booting speed meant for the 1st time boot up from installing windows, not after windows is what my impression meant for it, you have to wait anyway during the Blue Windows Setup. So I thought it really didn't matter at least you get everything, like I said, unless it meant for after setup is finished and the slowness for rebooting/restarting within the vmware wxp, then ok, I take that back then but other than that, thats what my impression on what it meant thank you very much.

ps, if you didn't see it the 1st time, here it is, unless you still don't approved this pic, i would gradually take a repic of it with my middle finger on side of it. besides of having 2 videos me showing the actual disk in hand

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:51 pm

@mukke & @Anthony21,

Thank you both for confirming that you are both using legit sources as starting points in your work. That is very often the first thing that we try to confirm when anyone is having problems. Now that you have both confirmed that, and as far as I know neither of you are having any major issues anyway, you do not need to get defensive about your source, ie, there is no need to talk about posting a pic with a middle finger shown. After all, no one has accused you of using an illegal source that I have seen lately.

So we're all friends, right?

Cheers and Regards

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:48 am

bphlpt wrote:
So we're all friends, right?

Cheers and Regards
sry about that yesterday, I was pist at something, n i guess i was mad still when i was on here, ya, we can be friends :D

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:25 am

August 2014 ported-to-XP updates have been uploaded.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

IMPORTANT: MS14-045 V2.0 (August 15, 2014): Bulletin revised to remove Download Center links for Microsoft security update 2982791. Microsoft recommends that customers uninstall this update. For this reason I decided not to upload this update.

Thanks to adric for reporting the latest updates.

I have already started working on the SP4 RC build.

@maxtorix Unfortunately, Package Installer (which is used to install SP4) does not allow selecting components to install: everything is specified in the update.inf file.
Another option would be to update only the components already installed. That's complicated and I decided to let the user remove all redundant components after Service Pack Setup, from the Control Panel.
The option not to archive current configuration was present in Windows 2000 service packs. It may be possible in previous versions of Package Installer (of the 5.x era). I haven't tested in the latest 6.3.x.x installers but I'm not optimistic about it...

@Briant This behaviour is by design: try installing the SP3 package on a SP2 system with AntiWAT and see what happens...

@mukke The decision to include POSReady 2009 patches was made because it uses almost the same binaries with Windows XP x86. Howewer, having considered your concerns, I will publish two final versions of SP4: one with all updates until including May 2014 (without the POSReady WU "hack") and one with all updates + the latest POSReady patches included. I'll try to update the last one frequently in the future.

@Atari800xl I can't give you an ETA for RC yet. Maybe in a few days I'll be able to tell you...

darkrats

Post by darkrats » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks, harkaz!

:D :D :D

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:33 pm

@maxtorix It was much easier than I originally thought to add the option not to archive SP4 files. I simply removed the UninstallForceDefault=1 line at [Configuration] section in update.inf.

Now Service Pack 4 setup will give you the option not to archive files.

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:59 pm

harkaz wrote:@maxtorix It was much easier than I originally thought to add the option not to archive SP4 files. I simply removed the UninstallForceDefault=1 line at [Configuration] section in update.inf.

Now Service Pack 4 setup will give you the option not to archive files.
Great, I can't wait to test it !!!

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Windows XP Unofficial SP4 Beta 3 is now available from Softpedia: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Sig ... cial.shtml

I'm still working on the setup information files (layout/txtsetup/dosnet) and the updated sp4cmp.cat catalog file. I cannot give you an ETA for RC yet...

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Don't you love it when it says created and modified in January 24, 1984 at 3:00 AM. LOL. and yes, i have my mackintosh of auto time and date.

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:16 pm

news already startn to spread.

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/wi ... cks-151369

you should add a info of yourself inside these sp4 patches with info of developers on making this happen. For months now, I always had this feeling since December 2013 or so that when this actually is finished, this will be spammed across torrent sites with inserted key already, like up for grabs, i've seen torrent sites saying like windows xp April 2014 torrent of any month of 2013-2014 which also with forgetful stuff with garbage installations. I've tested a few to check them out before and never once asked for a decent key when setting it up across VMware. always trusted my xp machine than the ones from torrent sites.

edit:
ps, the one from softmedia, in that package, is that the August 2014 ported to xp updates?

noticed a small gap on my pc between the google drive and the softpedia size since there both beta 3. "Beta 3.1"? lol

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:09 am

I have a great suggestion for SP4 = http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/L ... lder.shtml

Microsoft private folder

adric

Post by adric » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 am

Out-of-band WEPOS and POSReady 2009 Update

KB2993651 (MS14-045) replaces KB2982791 (pulled by Microsoft)

Atari800xl

Post by Atari800xl » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks acric, I saw OnePiece added it to his "Box" folder already, along with a new DXUPAC.exe

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:26 pm

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:33 am

^ Cool. Some free advertising ? :)

Din5dale

Post by Din5dale » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:50 am

ChiefZeke wrote:Mentioned by ZDNET: http://www.zdnet.com/want-windows-xp-sp ... 000033030/
Gotta love the over-the-top, bordering on absurd comments by all the armchair attorneys / M$ apologists in the comments section <<<SNICKER>>>

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:33 am

I added a second download link for Beta 3 due to the great number of downloads.

Right now I'm working on layout.inf/txtsetup.sif files, fixing some minor bugs.

UPDATE: Dropbox suspended the link because of excessive traffic. I guess I'll have to find another host.

Kurt_Aust

Post by Kurt_Aust » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Why not just torrent it? I've always found it far more reliable for large downloads

Vuze has a built-in tracker function and you can set it to force seed while limiting your upload speed
http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/files/

You can use Dynu basic dynamic-DNS service to point it at your system
http://www.dynu.com/Default.aspx?page=ddns

maxtorix

Post by maxtorix » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:14 pm

harkaz wrote:I added a second download link for Beta 3 due to the great number of downloads.

Right now I'm working on layout.inf/txtsetup.sif files, fixing some minor bugs.

UPDATE: Dropbox suspended the link because of excessive traffic. I guess I'll have to find another host.
Tryout aDrive

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:40 pm

@maxtorix Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

@Kurt_Aust Unfortunately my upload speed isn't high enough for a torrent.

The reason I'm still working on the layout.inf/txtsetup.sif is checking file sizes. I also fixed some bad references to usbd.sys and other driver.cab files. Probably - I haven't tested it yet - this will fix the Rufus txtmode 0x7b BSODs.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am

Added a second ADrive link.

Briant

Post by Briant » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:26 pm

Your unofficial SP4 was mentioned on Neowin:
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-xp-u ... bsolete-os

Briant

Post by Briant » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:07 pm

Anthony21 wrote:... i've seen torrent sites saying like windows xp April 2014 torrent of any month of 2013-2014 which also with forgetful stuff with garbage installations. I've tested a few to check them out before and never once asked for a decent key when setting it up across VMware.
Why isn't the mod police on this guy too? When I mentioned using a crack (even though owning legit keys) I was called a thief (see above). :rolleyes:

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:34 pm

Briant wrote:Why isn't the mod police on this guy too? When I mentioned using a crack (even though owning legit keys) I was called a thief (see above). :rolleyes:
Because harkaz does not distribute any keys at all, legit or otherwise, or cracks of any kind. Also, when you use SP4, you the user still need to provide your own legit key and a legitimate XP source to apply SP4 to. In that regard SP4 is no different than the addon packs provided by user_hidden and OnePiece.

Cheers and Regards

Din5dale

Post by Din5dale » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Briant wrote:
Anthony21 wrote:... i've seen torrent sites saying like windows xp April 2014 torrent of any month of 2013-2014 which also with forgetful stuff with garbage installations. I've tested a few to check them out before and never once asked for a decent key when setting it up across VMware.
Why isn't the mod police on this guy too? When I mentioned using a crack (even though owning legit keys) I was called a thief (see above). :rolleyes:
Maybe cuz you're cherry picking only part of his quote in order distort its intended meaning?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of ... of_context :wink:

EDIT: @bphlpt I do believe Briant was referring to Anthony21 not harkaz. :)

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Din5dale wrote:EDIT: @bphlpt I do believe Briant was referring to Anthony21 not harkaz. :)
Could be. In that case Anthony21 did not provide any link to the torrent itself nor did he provide the exact torrent name to enable folks to look it up. But Briant is correct that we do not condone the discussion of such a torrent release.

Cheers and Regards

Briant

Post by Briant » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:46 pm

I _clearly_ quoted who I was referring to.