What is One Core API and Shorthorn?

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
Zephyr

What is One Core API and Shorthorn?

Post by Zephyr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:54 am

I have discovered an intriguing project that should be especially interesting to Dibya. According to the official Readme of the One Core API project at Github "One-Core-API is a compatibility layer to run native programs of XP/2003 and incompatible programs and designed for upper Windows versions, like Windows Vista+." OK, nothing to get excited about if you are an XP diehard, but posts at the Reactos forum suggest that it is intended to add support for NT6 applications under XP/2003 which is the opposite way round. Here is the official announcement of the One Core API project at the Reactos website:

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-12627
There is a project called One-Core-API, this is a compatibility layer for WinXP/2003 to implement NT6 application compatibility.

Our plans is to make NT5.x OS'es be compatible with most NT6-only applications.
Another intriguing project that is an offshoot of One Core API is Shorthorn and you can go to their official website here http://shorthornproject.com/index.html. Here are some of the features that they claim Shorthorn offers:
One-Core-Api
A sub-project to provide compatibility with newer apps, based on wine and reactos

Shorthorn Builds
Compiled builds based on Longhorn features introduced on Server 2003

Shells/Interfaces
Windows Vista/Longhorn was/is very beautiful. You can get it on Server 2003

Ported Applications
You can enjoy exclusive Vista+ application directly on your XP/Server 2003.

Kernel Mod
Several drivers need new functions, and we can run with kernel modded.

Ported Drivers
Sounds very exciting. Who wants to go first by testing it out?
Last edited by Zephyr on Fri May 25, 2018 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
XP FOREVER!

Dibya

Re: What is One Core API and Shorthorn?

Post by Dibya » Thu May 24, 2018 1:19 am

Creator of one core api is my friend for long time .. I am aware of it . Specially i am a tester of this project.