No Windows Server 2008 R2 forum, why?

Windows Server 2003 Update Pack discussion.
spacedrone808

No Windows Server 2008 R2 forum, why?

Post by spacedrone808 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:16 am

To my opinion it is the most stable ms OS.
Planning to switch from Windows 7 to it.

mooms

Re: No Windows Server 2008 R2 forum, why?

Post by mooms » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:08 am

Windows Server is not intended to be used as a desktop OS like Windows pro/home/enterprise, etc...
Alteration of the world
Want to thank me ? If you buy something on Banggood with this link, I will earn a little %.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Not that it can't be used that way, but relatively few folks use it that way, so there's just not much of a demand for a forum about it.

Cheers and Regards

spacedrone808

Post by spacedrone808 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:50 am

So Server 2003 as desktop is more popular then 2008?

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:52 am

I would assume that it's because of the code relation of 2003 to XP and the desire to get what was perceived as a "more advanced version of XP" since it came out later with a slightly improved code base (5.2 vs 5.1) and that the server version was sometimes thought of as "better" and more stable than the home version, but still be familiar and more likely to be compatible with the application software that was released for use with XP. XP has had quite the following over its lifespan. 2003 was also officially supported for over a year longer than XP was.

2008 was the server version of Vista, and home users essentially stayed away from both of those versions, if they could.

2008 R2 is the server version of Win7. As popular as Win7 has been you'd think that 2008 R2 would be popular for the corresponding reason that 2003 was, but I haven't seen that happening. Probably a few reasons --

-- both versions are due to be supported for the same amount of time,
-- they use the same code base (6.1),
-- Win7 has been relatively stable and quickly and widely accepted,
-- I'm not aware of any home useful features that 2008 R2 has that Win7 doesn't, not to mention the wide availability of Win7 drivers,
-- Win7 already had enterprise level features built-in whereas there was no enterprise version of XP,
-- and probably the biggest factor is that the XP "era" was the peak of home users customizing their OS.

After XP, users of the more modern OS just aren't as interested in OS customization, so forums supporting that just aren't as much in demand. You also see that the number and popularity of technical forums and magazines have steadily plummeted over the last 10 years. As the hardware has improved, the need and advantages gained by customizing the OS has drastically decreased, and the ability to customize the hardware has also decreased with increase use of laptops and tablets, and the steady decrease of hardware manufacturers. The overall decrease in choices available is just sad. [ Sorry, end of rant :) ]

But that's just my guess.

Cheers and Regards