Creating a game distro...

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Telavus

Creating a game distro...

Post by Telavus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi, im planning on creating a retro distribution of Windows XP that will mostly be made for playing a specific retro game.

I am planning to have some programs and whatnot preinstalled, and was thinking about what would be the best to use. Windows POSReady 2009 or Windows XP Proffesional?

I guess that die-hard fans of Windows XP are mostly using XP and not POSReady, but POSReady is still getting microsoft updates. I've already tried doing what I want to do on POSReady, but still uncertain about how I am going to make the distribution as nLite does not seem to be working for me....

What im trying to do is to make an up to date and stable ISO of Windows XP/POSReady that has some preinstalled software. What would be the bets course of action for me?

Thanks!

spawn

Re: Creating a game distro...

Post by spawn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:32 pm

posready isn't compatible with MMX anymore so pentium III and older won't work well thus you'd need to label it Windows XP P4+ POS

Lex24

Post by Lex24 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:12 pm

Telavus:

I've already tried doing what I want to do on POSReady, but still uncertain about how I am going to make the distribution as nLite does not seem to be working for me ....
It's an old thread but let's bump it just to clarify the following:

nLite has never been tested extensively with POSReady and it just won't work properly with that OS, unless you are willing to spend significant amount of time tweaking files and registry keys. On the surface, POSReady looks very similar to XP, but when you drill deeper into the directory tree that's a different story. To see what I mean just have a look at the root of drive C in POSReady, there are two mystery files there, and that's just the beginning:

fbwf.cfg
RegfData

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:01 am

:shock:

spawn

Post by spawn » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:02 am

thats why the updates for xp patching is most useful because xp doesn't have POS mystery files but hey even xp has a ton of mystery no ones ever educated about.