"Plug and Play Monitor" pop up @ 34th minute of XP

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Fragbert

"Plug and Play Monitor" pop up @ 34th minute of XP

Postby Fragbert » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:15 pm

Hello I have been following threads about this odd issue where a seemingly perfect unattended XP install for whatever reason will prompt on certain machines (hence no longer be unattented) for a "Plug and Play Monitor" driver. I see this is an issue that affects Dell Optiplex machines with integrated Intel graphics (GX520 here). Both suggested fixes in this forum do not fix this annoying prompt (editing the WINNT.SIF to 800x600x60hz and installing MS hotfix 883667).

I use the latest RyanVM update pack and noticed that KB883667 was taken out, so I manually integrated the fix prior to installing the update pack.

Could the update pack revert the hotfix or affect it in any way?

I am at a loss, any help is appreciated.
DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Postby DisabledTrucker » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:33 pm

If Ryan removed that it was for a reason, most likely because it had been already supersceded...
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

WNOR FM-99 The best station in the world!
RyanVM
Site Admin

Postby RyanVM » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:21 pm

Prior to releasing 2.0, I said that I was removing a bunch of hotfixes, though I was open to re-adding removed ones if someone pointed out an instance where one had fixed a problem for them. Since this is one of those situations, I'll re-add it for the next release :)
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357
StriderSkorpion

Postby StriderSkorpion » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:28 pm

What I got from the post was that the hotfix didn't work, so reintegrating it in the pack may not be necessary. How did you integrate the hotfix onto the install? If you used a program such as HFSLIP or nLite, that may be where the problem is.
RyanVM
Site Admin

Postby RyanVM » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:40 pm

Fragbert, care to clarify?

Fragbert

Postby Fragbert » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:29 am

Hello, I can now confirm that the hotfix does indeed resolve the issue - when installed alone without the rvm update pack.

I deployed a new XP image with simply SP2 and the hotfix integrated, plus a BTS driverpack slimmed down with just the drivers I need for the Optiplex GX520. Not once did I get a prompt for installing a Plug and Play monitor.

Researching more on this issue it seems the problem lies with the Intel integrated graphic controller's support of multiple monitors. Perhaps some unattended gurus with more config file prowess can make some suggestions.

So KB883667 fixes the problem. What can I do for now? Is adding this hotfix myself to the update pack a possibility? Is there a proper way to integrate this hotfix plus the RVM update packs (and addons?) I tried integrating the hotfix first then run the update pack and neither the hotfix or the update pack appeared to integrate into the image (pnp monitor popped up and MS update was full of downloadable updates)
techtype

Postby techtype » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:08 pm

StriderSkorpion wrote:How did you integrate the hotfix onto the install? If you used a program such as HFSLIP or nLite, that may be where the problem is.
Fragbert

Postby Fragbert » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:41 pm

techtype wrote:
StriderSkorpion wrote:How did you integrate the hotfix onto the install? If you used a program such as HFSLIP or nLite, that may be where the problem is.

I did not use nLite. I simply used the conventional C:\<hotfix> /integrate:c:\<XP source>

Anyway, is there a way to add this hotfix AND use the RVM update pack?
techtype

Postby techtype » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:48 pm

Fragbert wrote:
techtype wrote:

I did not use nLite. I simply used the conventional C:\<hotfix> /integrate:c:\<XP source>

Anyway, is there a way to add this hotfix AND use the RVM update pack?

The way that you did it simply runs the hotfix from svcpack.inf which should work if you integrate the hotfix after integrating the ryanvm pack.
RyanVM
Site Admin

Postby RyanVM » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:52 pm

Like I said earlier, I'll re-add it to the next release.

cybpsych

Postby cybpsych » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:42 am

FYI, i'm getting this error too, on OEM notebook using Intel 855GME chipset.
OCedHrt

Postby OCedHrt » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:11 am

I have this same issue too, on my laptop with Intel 855. However, I don't think it happens when I use a regular WinXP SP2 install, if I recall correctly. Is KB883667 already included in SP2?
buletov

Postby buletov » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:12 am

Stupid Intel :mrgreen:
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.
cybpsych

Postby cybpsych » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:23 pm

yeah, it seems Fragbert's statement about dual-display on laptop is true.

on laptop with integrated video, the driver will automatically enable the dual-display support. the pop-up msg is for the supposedly-2nd monitor. it's somehow hardwired on the mobo to support dual-display immediately.

on desktop with/wihout integrated video, the 2nd monitor is not enabled until a physical monitor is connected. then, XP may (haven't tried yet) look for PNP Monitor driver.

wonder why XP didn't just get the default driver without prompting the user. just my 2cents!
RyanVM
Site Admin

Postby RyanVM » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:04 pm

Sorry, I forgot to re-add this to 2.0.3. It'll for sure be in 2.0.4 next month :)

Return to “Update Pack Discussion”