[Release] Blighty's Sam Spade Addon v1.14-070825

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

[Release] Blighty's Sam Spade Addon v1.14-070825

Post by Mrs Peel » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:11 am

This is an oldie but a goodie and I use it constantly for traces and whois's. FWIW I find get the best results with this app if I choose the whois server "whois.geektools.com", which is at the very bottom of the server list dropdown menu ;)

My latest rebuild of this addon includes a Quick Launch shortcut (cos I use it a lot) and the dll file hs_regex.dll in the program folder, in case you don't already have it installed on your system.

Sam Spade v1.14
LINK: MrsP_Sam_Spade_QL_Addon_v1.14-070825
MD5: 1F75B70385C611AC69A83F1687B1CF46
SIZE: 1.35 MB
Description: Freeware domain tracer and network query tool
Op System: Windows 2000, XP Home, XP Pro & 2003 (x86 only)
Builddate: 1997/12/10
Language: English
Title: Sam Spade
Version: 1.14
License: Freeware
Installs to: "%programfiles%\Network\SamSpade"
Uninstaller: Removes program files, shortcuts, regentriespersonalsettingsetcetcetc
Sam Spade for Windows
Sam Spade for Windows is a freeware network query tool. Each tool displays it's output in it's own window, and everything is multi-threaded so you don't need to wait for one query to complete before starting the next one. Some functions are threaded still further to allow lazy reverse DNS lookups (never do a traceroute -n again). The output from each query is hotlinked, so you can right click on an email address, IP address, hostname or internic tag to run another query on it. Appending the results of a query to the log window is a single button function. There's a lot of online help, in both WinHelp and HTMLHelp formats. This includes tutorials, background information and links to online resources as well as the program manual itself.
Tools:
* Ping: ping a network host to see if it's alive, and to see how long it takes packets to get there and back
* NSlookup: Find the IP address from a hostname, or vice-versa
* Whois: Ask a whois server who owns a domain name. Sam Spade will usually ask the right whois server automatically, or you can query a particular server. Whois queries for .com/.net/.org addresses are directed to the correct registrar automatically.
* IP Block Whois: Ask a whois server who owns a block of IP addresses
* Dig: A more advanced DNS query tool. Dig asks a DNS server for all the information it has about a host
* Traceroute: Find the route packets take between you and a remote system. Both a slow, step-by-step mode and a fast parallel query mode are available.
* Finger: Lookup user information on a remote unix system
* SMTP VRFY: Ask a mail-server whether an email address is real and whether it's being forwarded to other addresses. Also attempt partial delivery to a range of addresses to discover whether a given address is valid or not.
* Web Browser: Browse the web, viewing the raw HTTP traffic rather than the rendered HTML. This lets you see the http headers and the raw HTML. Very handy for debugging CGI scripts. It will not send any identifying information to the webserver, and by not supporting file download, java, javascript, cookies or anything else it has far fewer security holes than real browsers. As it doesn't render the HTML it makes attempts to hide information (such as hidden form fields, white-on-white text, meta fields etc.) obvious. These make it a useful tool for investigating malign websites
* Keep-Alive: Sends http packets to your ISPs webserver every minute or so, to keep a dialup link active
* DNS Zone Transfer: This asks a DNS server for all the information it has about a domain. It automatically finds the authoritative servers for a domain and will query one or all of them.
* SMTP Relay Check: This checks whether a mailserver is secure. It attempts to send email back to yourself via somebody elses email server (one which you're not supposed to have access to). Hopefully it'll fail, but if it doesn't the mailserver is open to all sorts of abuse and the administrator needs to secure it
* Usenet Cancel Check: This asks your local news-server to look for cancelled messages in a set of groups
* Website Download: This will copy a website to disk.
* Website Search: This searches a website for anything matching a list of patterns
* Email Header Analysis: This will check the Received lines in an email header for consistency. It can help in tracking down the true source of forged email
* Blacklist Lookups: This will check the Realtime Blackhole List, Dialup User List and Relayed Spam Source List to see if any of a hosts addresses are listed
* Abuse.net Query: This will identify the email address responsible for abuse issues at a given domain using the database maintained by abuse.net
* S-Lang Scripting: Many features can be configured and scripted using the embedded S-Lang scripting language.
* Time: Query a remote host to see what time it thinks it is, via a range of protocols including SNTP. Optionally set the local systems time via SNTP at each application startup.

Enjoy (or not)

:D

[Edit 2006/03/08] Recoded ALL Mrs Peel Addon Packs for platform and licencing compliance.
[Edit 2007/07/07] Rebuilt with uninstaller, changed installation directory and added a Quick Launch shortcut
[Edit 2007/07/27] Updated uninstaller for XP Home compatibility
[Edit 2007/08/04] Rebuilt optional components section and optimised some stuff in the inf file
[Edit 2007/08/10] Changed the quicklaunch shortcut install method
[Edit 2007/08/25] Tweaked uninstall reg entries to force a proper icon to display in Add/Remove programs
Last edited by Mrs Peel on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.

sdageforde

Post by sdageforde » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:08 am

And if there are others that you prefer to use here's the trick to add them.
Adding whois servers

All the whois servers understood by Sam Spade are stored in the registry. If you need to add a new whois server fire up regedit, and open the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Blighty Design / Spade / Whois

Each key is the stem of a domain name. These are searched in order of decreasing length (so if there is a key for co.uk that will be used in preference to that for uk)

The value of each key is a string containing four fields separated by a vertical bar character ('|')

The first field is a description of the domain

The second is the international dialing code for the domain, if appropriate

The third is the whois server to use for that domain

The fourth is a URL that can be used to perform searches for the domain

If you break something, just delete the appropriate key and it will revert to it's default value

If you find a whois server not listed, please send me email at spade@blighty.com so I can add it to the next release
This also falls into what I call an Extremely Useful tool, for doing a whole lot of things in addition to traces and whois's.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:46 pm

Now that is an EXTREMELY useful trick for an EXTREMELY useful tool! Thanks for sharing it with us sdageforde!!!

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:13 am

Updated with uninstaller.

Please be advised that if I do not get some kind of indication that people are using this addon pack it will be deleted from my collection due to lack of member interest.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:16 pm

kewl :) thanks for the update MrsP!

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:37 am

Cheers for the response TechnoHunter. Uninstaller works with XP Home now....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:36 am

Rebuilt optional components section so it will hide properly in Windows Components Wizard now....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:32 am

Used rick trick to recode quicklaunch shortcut installation....

amerrykan

Post by amerrykan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:54 pm

Thanks for this!

Us2002

Post by Us2002 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:47 am

May be MD5 is wrong? My is:
64A80815E8578C96DDA119D6EC88558F

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:03 am

I concur Mrs. Peel simply missed it in her last round of updates (Which there was a few she has been really busy)

Everything extracts fine so it's probably not a bad upload.

All we need to do now is wait for confirmation for Mrs. Peel

P.S. Thanks you Mrs. Peel for the great last coupla weeks of updates....

(God knows I missed a coupla hashes or file sizes in the updating proccess.)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:59 am

Us2002 wrote:May be MD5 is wrong? My is:
Yeh Kel is correct, I have been REALLY busy and I just forgot to update it.

You seem to use a lot of my addons, but why is it that I only get to hear about which ones you are using when there is something you have to complain about with one of them?

Does it ever occur to you to include a frigging "thank you" in your comments as well?

Sheeesh talk about rude and ungrateful :rolleyes:

fabjr

Post by fabjr » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Mrs Peel wrote:
Us2002 wrote:May be MD5 is wrong? My is:
Yeh Kel is correct, I have been REALLY busy and I just forgot to update it.

You seem to use a lot of my addons, but why is it that I only get to hear about which ones you are using when there is something you have to complain about with one of them?

Does it ever occur to you to include a frigging "thank you" in your comments as well?

Sheeesh talk about rude and ungrateful :rolleyes:
:oops: Hi, "Mrs P " many ,many Thank Yous. God only knows what we would do without you :wink:
GOD BLESS AMERICA

fabjr

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 am

Minor tweak to make icon look pretty in Add/Remove programs applet.....

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:52 pm

Now there is dedication. Updating to make an _icon_ look good.

You are too much, Mrs Peel. And I thank you for it!

And yes, I do use Spade regularly in conjunction with Ethereal and WinPCap.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:04 am

LOL, you can thank 5eraph for that. I use a 3rd-party add/remove programs utility, so I never fully appreciated how the uninstallers we make for our addons will display in the native windoze ARP until a few weeks ago when 5eraph was helping me fix a bug in the ARP display that was being caused by my Taskill addon pack.

That's when I realised that a handful of my packs were not displaying a proper "program icon" in the ARP listings, so I thought it would be nice to tweak those a little so there was some uniformity throughout my collection.

Can you guess that I am one of those people who, if sitting in a room where a painting on the wall is not sitting quite level, cannot relax until I have gotten up and straightened it up right? LOL :D