[Release] John Walker's SpeakFreely Speex Addon v7.6a-070902

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

[Release] John Walker's SpeakFreely Speex Addon v7.6a-070902

Post by Mrs Peel » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:08 am

This is a modded version of the VOIP program SpeakFreely which is patched with the very excellent Open Source Speex codec and lets you use a PGP key for encrypted voice communication.

It is the most brilliant IP-IP voice chat program I have ever used - lean, clean, stable and free of frilly useless bells and whistles. I have at many times had better quality sound from using this with overseas friends than I have had talking to them on international toll calls and even better yet it has a very small resource footprint and uses MAXIMUM 2.3 K/sec of internet bandwidth - so even peeps on dialup internet could get a great audio reception with this!

It was a little tricky for me to set up at first, but after a long time of using online friends as my guinea pigs I was able to find an optimum configuration for Speex and so I wrote this up as a QuickStart PDF tutorial which is included in the package and will install into the program folder.

Some of you lazy peeps may grumble that this is a direct IP-to-IP chat client that does not connect to a central server, but for me personally that is a huge bonus. And finding out your IP address to enter into the settings is easy as pie using a utility like Robin Keir's IP2

SpeakFreely Speex v7.6a
LINK: MrsP_SpeakFreely_Speex_Addon_v7.6a-070902
MD5: 633EF6CEC6FA229067194ABE11BD20E3
SIZE: 1.22 Mb
Description: IP-to-IP VOIP using Speex audio compression
Op System: Windows 2000, XP & 2003 (x86 only)
Builddate: 2004/03/14
Language: English
Title: Speex Freely
Version: 7.6a
License: Open Source
Installs to: "%programfiles%\Internet\SpeexFreely"
Uninstaller: Removes program files, shortcuts, reg entries and a prompt to remove personal settings
Speex: A Free Codec For Free Speech
Speex is an Open Source/Free Software patent-free audio compression format designed for speech. The Speex Project aims to lower the barrier of entry for voice applications by providing a free alternative to expensive proprietary speech codecs. Moreover, Speex is well-adapted to Internet applications and provides useful features that are not present in most other codecs.
Speex is based on CELP and is designed to compress voice at bitrates ranging from 2 to 44 kbps. Finally, Speex is part of the GNU Project and is available under the Xiph.org variant of the BSD license.

The Technology:
* Narrowband (8 kHz), wideband (16 kHz), and ultra-wideband (32 kHz) compression in the same bitstream
* Intensity stereo encoding
* Packet loss concealment
* Variable bitrate operation (VBR)
* Voice Activity Detection (VAD)
* Discontinuous Transmission (DTX)
* In-progress fixed-point port
I currently do not have any screenshots of this, except the ones in the PDF setup guide which you could extract from the CAB file if you want to check it out before committing to an install.

Death to that bloated POS Skype and long live low-resource footprint OPEN SOURCE online communication utilities!!!! If you care about the long term future of our privacy on the internet then you should ONLY be using open source communication tools.

:D

[Edit 2006/03/08] Recoded ALL Mrs Peel Addon Packs for platform and licencing compliance
[Edit 2007/09/02] Rebuilt with uninstaller, changed install path and included pre-configured user settings (as per QuickStart guide)
Last edited by Mrs Peel on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:26 am, edited 13 times in total.

avneet25

Post by avneet25 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:37 pm

thx ..its nice i just tested it.. i was following ur pdf guide and the place wheer u set the workarounds for ur audio and protocol... the diagrams in the pdf are the same..they both are for protocol not audio.. so i still have no idea wat to set in the audio option..

thx for ur help

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:05 pm

I just rebuilt this with an uninstaller, and also demoted it to my "Cull Alert" list because there has been no response for NINETEEN MONTHS.

If I do not get an indication that people are using this within seven days it goes bye-bye.....

Tick-tock.... tick-tock...

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:50 am

hmmm VoIP prog.. time to grab and test.. thanks for the info/link MrsP!

TechnoHunter

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:07 am

I don't think you'll be disappointed TechnoHunter. I use Speex Freely to voice chat with a few of my fave members here and I think they will all agree with me about how excellent it is.

Don't be put off by the age of this thing - it still beats every other VOIP app I've ever used hands down ;)