[Release]Restore Desktop Icon Sanity 2.0 (Updated 25|3|2006)

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
MOONLIGHT SONATA

[Release]Restore Desktop Icon Sanity 2.0 (Updated 25|3|2006)

Post by MOONLIGHT SONATA » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:54 pm

Addon Pack :: Save-'n'-Restore Desktop Icon Layout

This Addon Pack is the first such initiative from my side. I hope it helps us by serving the purpose for which it's meant.

Download Link(Updated): http://addons.ryanvm.net/moonlightsonat ... on_2.0.cab
MD5 : fd190e10b12219661db75c6a04f73073

Why This Addon Pack?
When I started building this Addon Pack, I've one thing in my mind. "Remote Desktop Connection".
Yes, Remote Desktop feature in Windows XP Professional is very handy for us, notwithstanding that it also comes with an irritating drawback - every time you establish a Remote Desktop connection to your home computer, your Desktop Icons somehow manage to get infinite entropy. They move all over the place. Then, when you get back to it, you have to go through the long, tedious process of putting everything back where it was.House in Fire!!
This Addon Pack saves us from wasting any time over the issue and keeps Desktop Icons in their place.

How This Addon Works?
This Addon puts Layout.Dll in Windows\System32 Directory, and the packed desklay.inf(in I386 it is that, in Windows\INF, it is finally, desklayout.inf), registers the DLL as also Writes into the Registry. Ultimately, when you right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, you should see two new commands: Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout. Use them to save and restore your icon arrangement as and when you wish.

Now you won't have to waste all that time moving your icons back after creating a Remote Desktop Connection to your computer.House in Order!

BTW, LAYOUT.DLL comes from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit. No need to panic! It'll work with your Windows XP machine, flawlessly.

I hope you enjoy the release.It also works in standalone desktops; if you don't need any Remote Desktop Connection, no matter.

Update(25/03/2006)

Included "Desktop Icon Save and Restore"(http://www.midiox.com/) as per request of Lemonzest.

Now, after installation, two new items are available on the desktop context menu (right-click menu): Save Desktop… and Restore Desktop. Right-clicking on the desktop and choosing Save Desktop… stores the current desktop layout into the registry (after verifying that this is what you want). Once this has been performed, choosing Restore Desktop, will recall the stored layout even if the icons have been scrambled all over the screen.

N.B. : You should always re-save the desktop after adding an icon and after changing a desktop icon’s position.

I hope this integration of "Desktop Icon Save and Restore" makes this addon pack more functional. Over to Members et al. for feedbacks about how would you like it now. :D

MOONLIGHT SONATA
Last edited by MOONLIGHT SONATA on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Go On Failing..Go on. Next Time, Try to Fail Better.-----Samuel Beckett

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:05 pm

1 problem: In Desklay.inf, you specify to register LAYOUT.DLL with DllRegisterServer in [DLLs.Register] section but the file "LAYOUT.DLL" does not have a DllRegisterServer entry point and doing a regsvr32 on it fails...

I can see that you are registering it manually via the AddReg section, so you should remove this:

Code: Select all

RegisterDlls   = DLLs.Register

[DLLs.Register]
11,Layout.dll,1

FlyingGleek

Post by FlyingGleek » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:24 pm

MOONLIGHT SONATA, thank you very much! What a very useful tool.

I am going to do a test install with this addon later today, is the point made by n7Epsilon worth waiting for a fix for? Or it shouldn't matter whether it installs properly or not?

Either way, if you haven't released a 'fix' by the time I re-install windows, I will see how it works as is.

Thanks again and...

Cheers!

MOONLIGHT SONATA

Post by MOONLIGHT SONATA » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:44 pm

n7Epsilon,

Ooops, I thought finally i made an Addon Pack, that'll need no updation. You are right, I'm wrong for I used cut-copy-Paste upon an already built Add-On Pack and forgot to remove the DLL.Register line. I'll update it, soon, i'm waiting for Ryan to send me a face-saving mail.

Thanks.

*+*+*+*+*MOONLIGHT SONATA

Lemonzest

Post by Lemonzest » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:57 pm

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... op+restore

i made a request like this, and this version of desktop restore is alittle better as it can handle unicode windows maybe you could also package this? details are in the post
AMD Athlon64 3000+ @2.4GHz, DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb, 2x1024MB Geil Value Ram PC3200
ATI Radeon X800XT VIVO, SyncMaster 913N LCD, Logitech MX518, Creative Audigy2 ZS
Enermax Noisetaker 485W, Western Digital SATA 160GB, Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard

MOONLIGHT SONATA

Post by MOONLIGHT SONATA » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:17 pm

@Everybody

Rectification done as suggested by n7Epsilon and download link updated.

@Lemonzest
In fact I tried to provide this Addon pack,just when i came across your post. I thought it will serve your purpose and i expected you to post here. You did...nevertheless, i'll look into suggestions and wait a day or two, i'll look into any licensing problem remains there or not.

Thanks.

*+*+*+*+*+MOONLIGHT SONATA

Lemonzest

Post by Lemonzest » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:02 pm

any news on using that other desktop restore i suggested?
AMD Athlon64 3000+ @2.4GHz, DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb, 2x1024MB Geil Value Ram PC3200
ATI Radeon X800XT VIVO, SyncMaster 913N LCD, Logitech MX518, Creative Audigy2 ZS
Enermax Noisetaker 485W, Western Digital SATA 160GB, Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard

MOONLIGHT SONATA

Post by MOONLIGHT SONATA » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:38 pm

@Lemonzest,

Your wait ends tomorrow, hopefully. I'll integrate your request into this same addon, so that different shell extensions serve their purpose from different places when used inside a particular system. Well, I'm not going to abandon Layout.DLL, I'll include your request as bonus to it.

*+*+*+*+*+*MOONLIGHT SONATA

Lemonzest

Post by Lemonzest » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:21 pm

do you know if either of these work on windows x64? most shell extensions dont work :(

MOONLIGHT SONATA

Post by MOONLIGHT SONATA » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:35 pm

@Lemonzest
Addon is updated to Version 2.0 to fullfill your request. Enjoy!

*+*+*+*+*+*MOONLIGHT SONATA

Lemonzest

Post by Lemonzest » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:43 pm

now it includes both versions of the shellex, how does one chose between the two (layout.dll and dkticnsr.dll )? i thought maybe you would include each as a separate add-on.

MOONLIGHT SONATA

Post by MOONLIGHT SONATA » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Dear Lemonzest,

I understand your concern. But, honestly, I find no reason to disintegrate this addon into two seperate ones. I know that you love and use dkticnsr.dll. Yet, after using it I didn't find anything it does better than Layout.DLL. This Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit file is a long waiting secret that I wanted to share with ourselves. I was amazed to find it work flawlessly under Windows XP. And let me tell you that without asking the user about screen size, it really saves & restores the Screen Size which the user is using at the moment. If you really want to use this addon as two seperate ones, I request you to cut the umbillical chord that still exists between them, manually.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*MOONLIGHT SONATA

toyotabedzrock

Post by toyotabedzrock » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:21 pm

Wow i have been waiting for a program like this, so glad i finaly found this site.

I have one question tho, will this work with a 3 monitor setup to restore the icons to each monitor? Also my 3rd monitor i noticed has a negative x value positioning wise so im not sure if that matters. There positioned like this [3 1 2]. And my start bar is usally on monitor 2.

I actualy keep boat loads of icons on my desktop and organise my different prodjects by the section of the screen there in. So this plugin would save me a good 30 min if it supports the 3 monitors.

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:46 pm

Using this addon, what happens if you forgot to save your layout, and restore your desktop after having added and removed icons in the interim? Are those new icons removed, or just out of place, and are previously deleted icons recreated? Just wondering before I add it. Thanks in advance for saving me a test :)

-KZ
-KZ

Professional writer/musician/lunatic on closed course. Do not attempt.

MOONLIGHT SONATA

Post by MOONLIGHT SONATA » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:17 pm

No, if you forget to save layout, and remove or add a few icons, then restoration never recreates any deleted icon. And, your newly added icons become part of restored layout, thankfully.

@MOONLIGHT SONATA

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:40 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I'll add this to my new build tonight and check it out. Thanks for posting it!
-KZ

DigeratiPrime

Post by DigeratiPrime » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:56 pm

Nice utility, I am still looking for one that remembers not only position but the icon size and spacing :)

MOONLIGHT SONATA

Post by MOONLIGHT SONATA » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:51 pm

ha..ha..., me too. if you find one please let me know, i'll integrate into this addon. perhaps, providing such functionality has already entered the pay-must software's domain.

rootfile

Icon Program

Post by rootfile » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:20 pm

DigeratiPrime & MOONLIGHT SONATA, a proggie, called Icon Layout
might fit the bill.

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:07 pm

This addon is definitely a gift from the XP Gods.
-KZ

Kiki Burgh

Post by Kiki Burgh » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:17 am

ricght click options work great! :)
-KIKI-

jfcarbel

Post by jfcarbel » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:24 pm

Any chance we can get this updated. The author this Addon is based on has updated the tool recently.