[Release] TrueCrypt 4.2a

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Aserone

[Release] TrueCrypt 4.2a

Post by Aserone » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:52 pm

Truecrypt is one of the best Open-Source security tools avalible. It makes it easy to keep private files private. ;)

This addon installs just as the regular installer does. And NOT in the so-called ‘traveller’ mode (‘traveller’ mode = simply extracting the setup files and running it).

The addon is uninstallable and x64 support has been stripped.

TrueCrypt v4.2a
LINK: Foxy_TrueCrypt_4.2a_Addon
MD5: AEAFF0EDAFD61DC7439B7F204F54236A
SIZE: 918 KB
Builddate: 2006-07-13
Description: Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows XP/2000/2003 and Linux
Language: English
Title: TrueCrypt
Version: 4.2a
License: Open-Source
Release Date: 2006-07-03
Installs to: "%PROGRAMFILES%\Security\TrueCrypt"
Shortcut: "Start Menu\Security\TrueCrypt"
Op System: Windows 2000, XP & 2003
T r u e C r y p t
TrueCrypt is a software system for establishing and maintaining an on-the-fly-encrypted volume (data storage device). On-the-fly encryption means that data are automatically encrypted or decrypted right before they are loaded or saved, without any user intervention. No data stored on an encrypted volume can be read (decrypted) without using the correct password/keyfile(s) or correct encryption keys. Until decrypted, a TrueCrypt volume appears to be nothing more than a series of random numbers. Entire file system is encrypted (i.e., file names, folder names, contents of every file, and free space). TrueCrypt never writes decrypted data to any storage device (it only temporarily writes data being decrypted to RAM).

Main Features:
# Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
# Encrypts an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as USB flash drive.
# Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
# Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
1) Hidden volume (steganography – more information may be found here).
2) No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be distinguished from random data).
# Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5, Serpent, Triple DES, and Twofish.
# Mode of operation: LRW (CBC supported as legacy).
# Based on Encryption for the Masses (E4M) 2.02a, conceived in 1997.

Using Mrs Peel's excellent layout with her permission (thanks!).

Have fun all!

[Edit 2006/04/19] - Changed one env variable
[Edit 2006/04/20] - RyanVM hosting (thanks!)
[Edit 2006/07/13] - Updated to v4.2a (4.2.1)
[Edit 2006/07/15] - RyanVM hosting (thanks!)
Last edited by Aserone on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:11 am, edited 7 times in total.
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.

steviewonder

Post by steviewonder » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:08 pm

Thanks, adding it now to my new build dvd.

piXelatedEmpire

Post by piXelatedEmpire » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:56 pm

new version (4.2a) released July 3, 2006 with bug fixes and new features.. great little app!

a06

Post by a06 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:28 pm

does anyone else use this?
I'd like to get some feedback on this app.

ScOOt3r

Post by ScOOt3r » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:46 pm

Thanks for sharing, i have never used it but this will come in handy

ScOOt3r!
Go Canada Go!

Aserone

Post by Aserone » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:39 pm

piXelatedEmpire wrote:new version (4.2a) released July 3, 2006 with bug fixes and new features.. great little app!
Thanks for letting me know, couple of summer months ahead with little computer time so sorry for delayed update.
4.2a July 3, 2006

Bug fixes:
  • Writing to a TrueCrypt volume under Linux no longer causes the system to stop responding under certain conditions.
  • Occasional application errors no longer occur when selecting a file (Windows XP SP2 issue).
  • Fixed bug that caused installation of the TrueCrypt driver to fail under certain configurations of 64-bit Windows.
  • TrueCrypt volumes mounted in a remote session under Windows 2000 can now be accessed.
  • TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard no longer blocks hot keys of certain applications. (Windows)
  • Other minor bug fixes (Windows and Linux)
Improvements:
  • It will not be required to reinstall the TrueCrypt kernel module after every minor Linux kernel update.
  • Support for latest Linux kernel (2.6.17)
  • Other minor improvements (Windows and Linux)
Security improvements:
  • The Linux version of TrueCrypt now uses the TrueCrypt Random Number Generator (ported from the Windows version of TrueCrypt) instead of using only the Linux built-in random number generator. (This change was necessary due to a flaw in the Linux built-in random number generator: Data from the mouse and keyboard, which are the most important sources of random data, are not read by the Linux built-in random number generator when the user has only a USB mouse/keyboard.)
    Note: The Linux version of TrueCrypt still uses the Linux built-in random number generator. However, it is now merely one of the data sources used by the TrueCrypt random number generator.
  • Interactive mount mode, which allows the user to avoid passing sensitive parameters via command line. (Linux)
  • TrueCrypt volume is unmapped if mounting it to a directory fails. (Linux)
  • When the ‘Never Save History’ option is enabled, TrueCrypt sets its “current directory” to the user’s home directory (in traveller mode, to the directory from which TrueCrypt was launched) after a container or keyfile is selected via the Windows file selector. Therefore, the Windows file selector will not “remember” the path of the last selected container or keyfile. (Windows)
Can't test as much as I used to either.

And of cource must transform all addons to 7z when 2.1/1.4 comes out, much to do.. ;)
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.