[Release] Disable Microsoft Update in RyanVM Update Pack v2

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
MrNxDmX

[Release] Disable Microsoft Update in RyanVM Update Pack v2

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:18 pm

This addon will disable "Microsoft Update" while RyanVm Update Pack integration.
You will be prompted to view a few pages and click a few buttons for enabling MU again!.

How to use:
Use RVM_Integrator 1.5.1 (and above) to integrate this addon with RyanVM Update Pack and addons you want. Thats all :wink:

NOTES:
  • If you use this addon while update pack integration, Rvmuppck.inf will be edited, and DataStor.edb file will be over-writed with an empty one. But dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif entries will not be deleted. You will not get any error reports during windows integration about DataStor.edb file.
  • If you use this addon after update pack integration, i mean on an update pack integrated source, everything will be fine. Just empty DataStor.edb file will eat :shock: 1KB from your cd. :lol:
  • This addon works with Integrator & nLite. (Thanks Xable for the info.)
Credits goes to 5eraph, with the idea of using an empty DataStor.edb file, and to Zacam with the below post.

Download: RVM_MU_DisablerAddon_v2.7z
Size: 1KB Md5: AE782FAA67F431E5FBD8704230AAB11E

Changelog:
06-Mar-2008: Updated code for RVM 2.2.1.
24-10-06: Nothing but the naming
Last edited by MrNxDmX on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:01 am

As posted in the initial thread, the datastore.db file "datastor.edb" should not be (compressed or otherwise) a zero-byte file. So long as it's not generating a zero-byte file (in compression OR decompression) everything should go just dandy. Don't forget, even though the RVMUpPck is going to request SP2, you want to make sure people have it in place, so in the INI, under "Windows = XP" put in "ServicePack = SP2". That way, if someone is not using rvmupdatepack, they'll know they still need sp2.

My recomendation: edit the .edb file and put in "This File Left Intentionally Blank".

Hey, _I_ thought it was funny.......

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:32 am

LOL, Zacam. I put similar messages in my EDB file for each test iteration.

"Save me! Windows is about to overwrite me!", "Save the kittens!", "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay..."

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:38 am

Heh. I love having a sense of humor when it comes to dealing with windows. And while I haven't gone so far as to replace default error messages and event notifiers on other peoples computers, I've been sorely tempted to....

Like the lumberjack bit......priceless. :)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:54 am

Zacam wrote:Like the lumberjack bit......priceless. :)
I thought so, Zacam. :)

Nice work with the [ExtraFileEdits], MrNxDmX. I would have used this method also if I had known the proper syntax. But if you're going for completeness (and it appears that you are), then you shouldn't even need to add the DataStor.edb file to your addon. You're already removing any mention of it from DOSNET and TXTSETUP; it won't even be copied to the hard disk during the Windows installation. All you need to do is replace your [i386_compress] section with an [obsolete_files] section in your ENTRIES file to completely remove it from I386.

Code: Select all

[obsolete_files]
DataStor.edb
rvmtemp\extracted\DataStor.edb
P.S.
Thanks for the credit. It is appreciated. :)
Last edited by 5eraph on Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:58 am

Ooo...nice catch on that one, 5eraph.....

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:34 pm

Thank you both Zacam and 5eraph. That is really funny to have messages like yours. But I just added "This File Left Intentionally Blank" thing, cos this is a public addon :wink:
I didnt include entry for removing datastor.edb file, cos there is such a bug thing in this situation, as i described in first post:
If you add this addon at the same time with the update pack, it wont delete dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif entries. And user will get error message about datastor.edb file, that it cannot be found. If user runs integrator a second time for this addon, all entries will be deleted in dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif. It wont get copied, just stand on cd, and will kill 1kb space :lol:
First post is updated with new file.

EDIT: What do you guys think? Should I rename this to RVM_MU_DisablerAddon or is this ok? As this doesnt remove any dll files, just disables MU from starting as standart.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:09 am

You have a good point about the bug; I'm still thinking of ways around it and I think I have a lead. I'll update you on that as I learn more.

I think Disabler would be a better description because you are correct: No DLLs are removed.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:50 pm

Thank you 5eraph for the comment. I changed naming to MU Disabler addon. Everything is the same but naming.
I will inform you if I find a salution, too. :wink:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:55 pm

You could always use RunOnce to delete DataStore.edb during GUI setup.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

armond

Post by armond » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:06 pm

Thank you, MrNxDmX.
Will the addon restore the Windows Update shortcut in start menu?
I did not download it yet, but I'll be happy if the addon do this:
Delete the following from RVMUpPck.inf:
1. ProfileItems =MU.Shortcut from [RVMUpdatePack] section.
2. Delete the [MU.AddReg] section completely. Meaning that:
HKCU,"Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer","Windows Update Menu Text",0,"Microsoft Update"
HKLM,"%RUNONCE%","MU-1",,"REG ADD ""HKLM\%RUNONCE%"" /v ""MU"" /t REG_SZ /d ""CMD /Q /C DEL \"""%16406%\Windows Update.lnk\""" /Q/F"""
Also should be deleted.
I have to edit RVMUpPck.inf every time it updated. When I do that and trying to install MU again, it installs fine.
Edit: I looked at your INI file. Your addon appears to be OK! It will do every thing that I want! Thank you! :D :)

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:39 am

RyanVM wrote:You could always use RunOnce to delete DataStore.edb during GUI setup.
Thanks for the idea. I will give a try.

@ armond: You are welcome mate :wink:

hakab

Post by hakab » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:24 pm

MrNxDmX: does this addon work as expected in nlite? Or only with RVM Integrator?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:40 pm

I dont have official info, but as far as i know, nlite doesnt parse extra file edits section, so this kind of addons wont work with nlite.

hakab

Post by hakab » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:20 am

@MrNxDmX: is your addon RVM 2.1.5 compatible? Or have to wait for new version (of addon)?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:15 pm

sure hakab. It still works with update pack 2.1.5.

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:36 am

This addon doesn't work with nLite. You should always use Integrator. :( :cry: Any Solution :?:

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:48 am

Yeah use the integrator.

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:13 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:Yeah use the integrator.
:rolleyes:

Xable

Post by Xable » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:39 am

extrafileedits is actually working again in nLite v1.2.1

Bhishmar

Re: [Release] Disable Microsoft Update in RyanVM Update Pack

Post by Bhishmar » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:36 pm

MrNxDmX wrote:This addon will disable "Microsoft Update" while RyanVm Update Pack integration.
You will be prompted to view a few pages and click a few buttons for enabling MU again!.
Can somebody explain the need of this addon, I could not follow the cryptic NOTES.

1. It says it removes MS Updates.
What is the ultimate effect of this addon? Is it that the user is prevented from connecting to Windows Update site to get further updates? Or is that Automatic updates could not be enabled?

2. Which is the correct method of integrating this addon? Along with (simultaneous) other addons including the RVM Updatepack, or in a separate session after completing integratiion of RVMUpdatePack?

MrNxDmX is listing both methods, but I could not follow his intention. Is both methods OK?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:48 pm

Hey welcome to my topic mr coloured writer. :lol: (They just disturb my eyes)

This addon removes "Microsoft Update" client dll from your RyanVM Update Pack integrated source. Its the main reason of existence.
It has no effect in automatic updates or windows update site. Do you know Microsoft Update site, that scans your computer for windows xp, office and also some other programs for updates? But windows update only scans for windows xp?
Thats all.

Bhishmar

Post by Bhishmar » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:50 pm

MrNxDmX wrote:This addon removes "Microsoft Update" client dll from your RyanVM Update Pack integrated source.
Thanks for your immediate response MrNxDmX.
In which way this removal is useful? Is it space savings? Is it removal of an Annoyance?
I am assuming it is the second, since it is trying to act somewhat like spyware, without users consent, as per ur description. Has it (this removal) any other side effect?

Thanks & regards

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:50 pm

No, it doesnt have any other side effects. This is just a removal of an annoyance (for me of course) :wink:
Regards

Edit: Sorry about above post. This doesnt remove muweb.dll (Microsoft Update Client dll). This one just removes MU related entries from RVMUpPck.inf file, and also replaces datastor.edb file. By editing RVMUpPck.inf file, it is aimed to remove MU shortcut from startmenu and prevent WU shortcut from being deleted. By replacing datastor.edb with an empty one, it is aimed to prevent going to MU automatically when you open http://windowsupdate.com. You can reuse MU by going to: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftup ... fault.aspx

Bhishmar

Post by Bhishmar » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:45 pm

Thanks MrNxDmX.
I reviewed some related threads to get the real meaning of your disable-addon.

But pls clarify this. Your Notes in 1st post indicates that this addon could be integrated along with (simultaneously) with RVM Update pack (Ver-2.1.5a).

It says you will not get any errors, but implies everything is fine (only) in the second method. ie as a second session after completing update pack integration.

So Pls confirm that your addon can be integrated in method-1, ie along with updatepack integration.
regards

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:54 pm

It can be both methods (with update pack, and after update pack). No errors will occur.
In first method just datastor.edb file will not be deleted, it will get copied to windows installation, but that will not cause any errors.
In second method, datastor.edb related entries will be deleted, so datastor.edb file wont get copied. Again no errors will occur.

Everything is fine in both mothods.

And this works well on 2.1.5a

hakab

Post by hakab » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm

hi again - does it work with RVM 2.1.7? And why have you discontinued "Remove MRT" addon? I liked it and was using it :(?

Kiki Burgh

Post by Kiki Burgh » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:19 am

hi MrNxDmX! should you have extra time, would it be possible to create an addon like this which is universal (for nLite, integrator, & HFSLIP) to be able to disable access to Windows Update ... nLite has similar option but i think it only deletes the shortcut from the Start button options ... windows update though is still set to automatic ... thanks in advance!
-KIKI-

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:41 pm

Sorry for late reply.
hakab, it should work with RVM 2.1.7 and newer, until I say against :wink:

Kiki Burgh, this addon just disables automatic direction to Microsoft Update. It doesnt remove or disable Automatic Updates service. You can use a reg tweak to disable that service, if thats what you need.
Or tell me what you need, maybe I can help better :wink:

hakab

Post by hakab » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:13 pm

@MrNxDmX: thanks for the reply :).

and could you answer this:

"And why have you discontinued "Remove MRT" addon?"

Why do you think it's not necessary any more?

I miss this addon :(.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:47 pm

I added information to make the addon by yourself.
It didnt take attention, and it wasnt that needed to remove the mrt for me.
You can release it by yourself with a new topic :wink: I wrote everything that needed to make it. (Every addon makes me more stressed, so I dont want to take more responsibility.)
Cheers

Bhishmar

Post by Bhishmar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:04 am

Hi MrNxDmX
Is this addon still relevant & working for the latest RVM-updatepack & integrator: (RVM-UpdatePack-2.2.1, & RVM_Integrator_1.5.1.exe ?

Thanks & regards

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:42 pm

Bhishmar, no it wasnt compatible. But i did required update in the addon. Please test and feedback. I havent tested though.

Botus

Post by Botus » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:38 pm

MrNxDmX, I tested this new version, I now have shortcuts to both microsoft and windows on start menu and both seem to direct to each different site

using Ryan's latest pack, your IE7 and a number of others.... mind u I was lazy and only upgraded what was a new just built with same updates minus this addon version of windows

OS_Trasher

link broken or no longer applicable?

Post by OS_Trasher » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:38 pm

edit: sorry, keep forgetting to relax privacy settings...
" I've forgotten more than I'll ever know..."

Bhishmar

Re: link broken or no longer applicable?

Post by Bhishmar » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:41 am

No activity here for some time!
Is this addon still relevant for latest userhidden UpdatePack 1.4.6?
I thinks UH is including this functionality embedded in his updpack.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:26 pm

it will not work with my update pack.
the "Entries_MU_Disabler.ini" data would have to be updated.