[Release]Add-on for Registry Tweaks to Speed up Explorer

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
rubab

[Release]Add-on for Registry Tweaks to Speed up Explorer

Post by rubab » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:03 am

Can anyone make an add on for these Registry Tweaks:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
HungAppTimeout=1000
This STRING controls the delay before a hung application is allowed to terminate (each 1000 = 1 sec).
WaitToKillAppTimeout=1000
This STRING controls the delay before windows finally starts to shutdown (each 1000 = 1 sec)
MenuShowDelay=0
This STRING controls the delay before a menu or sub‐menu pops ZwWZ (each 1000 = 1 sec)
AutoEndTasks=1
If enabled this STRING automatically closes all running applications when Windows shuts down.

SPEED UP EXPLORER
The following tweak can improve the response time of Windows Explorer (and also Internet Explorer). Go to
the following key in the Windows Registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteCom
puter\]
NameSpace
To prevent Windows Explorer from searching for remote scheduled tasks, under the Namespace key in the
left pane find the {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} key, right‐click on it and select Delete
to remove it. To also prevent Explorer from searching for remote shared printers, delete the {2227A280-
3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D} key as well. This will speed up the time it takes for Explorer to open
and navigate. If you are connected to a network of computers do not undertake this tweak.
REMOVE ʹSHARED DOCUMENTSʹ FROM MY COMPUTER
If you want to remove the ʹShared Documentsʹ folders under My Computer use this tweak:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyCompute
r\NameSpace\DelegateFolders]
{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}
Delete the key above by right‐clicking on it in the left pane and selecting Delete. This will remove all the
superfluous ʹShared Documentsʹ folders permanently.

:?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:37 am

These I can do unless someone else jumps on them first. I don't know how to disable services as I generally have no real need to.

Give me a day and I can have an addon done for you.

EDIT 1: Had some free time and put one together. Testing now.

EDIT 2: I finished the addon only to find the following additional tweaks from your other post, but you don't mention their datatypes. Luckily, I was able to Google them. I'll add them and retest.

Code: Select all

5.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client]
PreventRun=1
PreventAutoRun=1
EDIT 3: Your Windows Messenger tweaks work well... too well. It will never run. You might as well completely prevent Windows Messenger from installing. This can be done by adding these lines to your WINNT.SIF file if you decide to create one:

[Components]
    msmsgs="Off"
EDIT 4: I've split the addon in two: one for explorer tweaks and the other for messenger tweaks. Testing is done.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:19 pm

rubab's Messenger And Explorer Speed Tweaks

Detail:
  • Integrate with RyanVM Integrator v1.4.2 or nLite 1.2.1 (or later versions of either).
Downloads:Notes:
  • The INFs within these addons are designed to work when integrated and as standalones. Right-clicking to Install works, but a reboot will be required for the MenuShowDelay tweak to be applied in this situation.

I had to implement two code paths for the Explorer Speed Tweaks due to the following difficult to delete keys. It seems that they can only be deleted after first login, but they're handled properly depending on the way the INFs are installed. :)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
Last edited by 5eraph on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:18 am, edited 8 times in total.

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:30 am

5eraph,
What exactly do these hacks do? And how much of a speed increase are we talking here?

Also, does the Messenger tweak increase the speed of ALL of M$'s messengers (ie, MSN Messenger 7.5, as well as WLM)? Does it make the APP faster, or the LOGIN, or both?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:22 am

The HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop tweaks are pretty self-explanatory, but the only one I've personally used (and for a very long time now) is the MenuShowDelay tweak except with a 0.25 second delay instead of none (the default is 0.4 seconds). This tweak is most noticeable when hovering over All Programs in the Start Menu.

The HKLM\...\MyComputer tweak removes the section "Files Stored on This Computer" located in My Computer where the hard drives and CD-ROM drives are listed. I don't think this has anything to do with speed, but I have relatively fast systems so I'm not likely to notice any difference. This tweak is nice for removing clutter, though. :)

The HKLM\...\RemoteComputer tweaks remove the shortcuts for "Scheduled Tasks" and "Printers and Faxes" on the remote computer you're browsing when you "View workgroup computers" within My Network Places. Again, I have relatively fast systems and they're all on a gigabit switch with gigabit NICs so if there's a performance difference then I'm not likely to see it.

The Windows Messenger tweaks only apply to the messenger originally included with Windows; they do not affect MSN or Windows Live Messenger. These tweaks completely prevent Windows Messenger from running. In my opinion a better solution is to simply prevent the messenger from installing as I've described above, or use nLite to remove it.

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:15 am

Thx, 5eraph!!

So, as I understand it, if I remove the included Messenger with nLite (which I DO), then I should only need the Explorer tweak, correct?

It looks like the Explorer tweak could really speed up my Shut Down time.
:)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:25 am

That's correct. That's also the reason I split the addon. :)

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:55 pm

Cold... it's mornin'... need... coffee...

:wink: Thx, man.

One more thing...
Should this be added with nLite, Integrator, or does it matter?

[edit]
Manually applied reg tweaks to explorer (right-clicked .inf file). Didn't notice the part in first post that says, "If you use printer over a network, don't use this."

5eraph, think u could make a version of this WITHOUT the "network" tweaks? You would have my eternal gratefulness.
:D

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:04 am

I'm sorry it took so long, RaGhul. I didn't notice your edit until 10 minutes ago because I'm usually jumping from new post to new post when I visit. It was by blind luck that I decided to check on this thread. ;)

In this case double posting would have been a good thing. Or a PM. :)

These addons will integrate with the RVM Integrator or nLite.

The release post above has been updated with the new NoNetwork addon.

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:42 pm

:wink:

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:46 pm

:D