Attention to all Cursor Addon Creators & Includers

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
MrNxDmX

Attention to all Cursor Addon Creators & Includers

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:04 pm

As most of you use different mouse schemes (at least I do :lol:), you have seen that little pop-up when you change your windows default cursor scheme. It complains about sth that affects default scheme, and asks for confirmation, yes or no. If you click yes, it will never pop-up again when you re-choose that scheme. But if you click No, it will ask again everytime you re-select that scheme. (I am not using english Xp now, and I dont remember what really it was saying.)

When you select yes, it makes some changes to registry. Think that you included my xfree cursor pack. This pack will create a REG_SZ type key under HKCU,"Control Panel\Cursors\Schemes". And it will contain path info for cursor files (C:\WINDOWS\Cursors\xFree\Normal Select.cur,C:\WINDOWS\Cursors\xFree\Help, ..... etc.)

But when you first choose this cursor scheme, windows asks comfirmation for sth (that i try to explain above). When you select yes, it changes REG_SZ type to REG_EXPAND_SZ and changes all "c:\windows" values to "%systemroot%" which describes the path of cursor files.

I first tracked changes while the confirmation, and found that trick. Now, I will update all my cursor addons with this information. Here is what i will use (no big change in coding):

Old registry keys:

Code: Select all

[Scheme.Reg]
HKCU,"Control Panel\Cursors\Schemes","%SCHEME_NAME%"[color=orange],,[/color]"%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%pointer%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%help%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%work%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%busy%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%cross%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Text%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Hand%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%unavailiable%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Vert%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Horz%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Dgn1%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%Dgn2%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%move%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%alternate%,%10%\%CUR_DIR%\%link%"
New registry keys:

[Scheme.Reg]
HKCU,"Control Panel\Cursors\Schemes","%SCHEME_NAME%"[color=yellow],0x00020000,[/color]"[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%pointer%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%help%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%work%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%busy%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%cross%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%Text%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%Hand%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%unavailiable%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%Vert%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%Horz%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%Dgn1%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%Dgn2%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%move%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%alternate%,[color=yellow]%K9%[/color]\%CUR_DIR%\%link%"
Add this under strings:

[Strings]
K9 = "%SYSTEMROOT%"
Notice the %10% values that refers to c:\windows are turned to %K9%. (K9 is just my choice, you can use whatever you want :wink:)
That "0x00020000" value is for reg_expand_sz type.

And after this customisation, the
C:\WINDOWS\Cursors\xFree\Normal Select.cur,C:\WINDOWS\Cursors\xFree\Help, .....
values in registry will be
%SYSTEMROOT%\Cursors\xFree\Normal Select.cur,%SYSTEMROOT%\Cursors\xFree\Help, .....
and recorded as Reg_expand_sz.

Thats all from me. I will be glad if you can understand what I wrote (lack of english :oops: ).

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:09 pm

Alternatively you can just use %10% and no strings for systemroot.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:17 pm

Thank you nr

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:20 pm

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:Alternatively you can just use %10% and no strings for systemroot.
No Kel this is kinda difrent...
You see wee need to have %SystemRoot%\Cursors\whatever.cur in the registry
Instead of C:\Windows\Cursors\whatever.cur
So we need reg_expand

NR you can use %%SystemRoot%% instead of the %K9%, make sure to use 2 %% instead of 1

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:37 pm

Thanks for explanation Rick. We talked about %K9%. That will make the entry too long, and we both got errors about it :wink:

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:59 pm

Thanks for the notification and fix, MrNxDmX. :)

My MS Signed Themes Addon Pack has been updated to v2.2 to correct this issue with its included Fedora Inverse mouse pointer scheme.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:13 pm

You are welcome 5eraph.

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:14 pm

Nice to see a thread like this! Although personally I just edit the INF and replace all %10%s with %%SystemRoot%%s instead, and that disables the pop-up problems.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:44 pm

marzsyndrome wrote:Nice to see a thread like this! Although personally I just edit the INF and replace all %10%s with %%SystemRoot%%s instead, and that disables the pop-up problems.
Yeah, thats the real solution.