Missing icons on Start Menu with recent Update Packs

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Mon May 14, 2007 2:33 am

Thanks for your great job. However, I've decided not to use your pack.

The reason is the problem I write in the 2.1.9 pack - Dissapearing icons in the Programs menu.

I was able to reproduce it again, this time using only an Clean install and Microsoft updates and hotfixes ( NOT SECURITY UPDATES ). Seems that one of the April hotfixes or updates is creating this problem. Is nothing wrong with the pack, but it contains the bad hotfix.

It's strange that it seems to afect my WindowsXP Professional wich was update manually - by using downloaded updates from Microsoft, but does not affect my 2 computers using Windows XP Home updated automatically via Windows Update.

Unfortunatelly I don't have the time to try to identify exactly wich is the KB number of the bad hotfix.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon May 14, 2007 2:45 am

Eiffel wrote:Thanks for your great job. However, I've decided not to use your pack.
*snip*
Unfortunatelly I don't have the time to try to identify exactly wich is the KB number of the bad hotfix.
That's too bad. This pack is a great time saver.

Since nobody else has reported this issue, you're the only one who can help narrow this down. Can you give some more detail on the 'disappearing icons' issue you are experiencing?

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Mon May 14, 2007 7:54 am

Since nobody else has reported this issue, you're the only one who can help narrow this down.
Well, I'm not the only, in the other thread, for the April version, it was also Stimpy with the missing links and icons dissapearing problem.

I didn't test this May build, but because I have the same problem on the fresh install, wich has May updates, I think it's not solved.

It could be an "solution" - to not add the April updates... At least hotfix and normal updates, as the bug is clearly not in an security update...

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon May 14, 2007 8:07 am

Eiffel wrote:
Since nobody else has reported this issue, you're the only one who can help narrow this down.
Well, I'm not the only, in the other thread, for the April version, it was also Stimpy with the missing links and icons dissapearing problem.
I believe the issue stimpy experienced was caused by a faulty RAM module (unless I read the post wrong).
Check your RAM using MemTest.
Try starting over from scratch from a fresh source and the latest update pack (nothing else) and let us know how it goes.
Or, do a clean install, disable automatic updates, and install the updates one at a time until something breaks for you.
Eiffel wrote:I didn't test this May build, but because I have the same problem on the fresh install, wich has May updates, I think it's not solved.

It could be an "solution" - to not add the April updates... At least hotfix and normal updates, as the bug is clearly not in an security update...
From your above post, it sounds as if you tried integrating the April/May updates into your source and broke something. Blaming Ryan's pack is not cool.
Saying there's a problem with the update pack when you haven't even tried integrating/using it is just bad form.

Also, I don't think removing all the April updates would be a "solution", unless of course we can prove it's one of the patches causing the problem.

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Mon May 14, 2007 8:43 am

Unfortunatelly my english perhaps is not very good.

For Stimpy the problem with restarts was caused by the RAM. Not the dissapearing icons. My RAM is in perfect condition.

For the rest I've already sayd - "I was able to reproduce it again, this time using only an Clean install and Microsoft updates and hotfixes ( NOT SECURITY UPDATES ). Seems that one of the April hotfixes or updates is creating this problem. Is nothing wrong with the pack, but it contains the bad hotfix. "

I don't know what means for you clean install, but for me is the Microsoft Original CD with SP2 included !

If for version 2.1.9 I've used ONLY Ryan Pack AND WMP11 slipstreamed with Boogy slipstreamer, as, I've already did before without any problems. Now i don't see the reason to test the new pack, IF Using Microsoft Updates gives me the same problem - Not integrated, just installed !!!

So, I don't blame Ryan's pack but Microsoft Hotfixes.

And Unfortunatelly I don't have so much free time to reinstall again and then install each update, restart, and wait for it until it change the icons.

Hope this time I'm clear...

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Mon May 14, 2007 1:57 pm

mr_smartepants wrote:
That's too bad. This pack is a great time saver.

Since nobody else has reported this issue, you're the only one who can help narrow this down. Can you give some more detail on the 'disappearing icons' issue you are experiencing?
I reported this to. And have seen it on other PC's as well that have not been installed by myself, or have been installed using any of my software or CD's, so it's not him.

Oh, and if your read my post in the other thread, you will notice that I was talking about random reboots, and that is an issue very different to the dissapearing icon issue. Which I'm still having BTW. (the icon issue, that is! :lol: )

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon May 14, 2007 3:01 pm

Stimpy wrote: Oh, and if your read my post in the other thread, you will notice that I was talking about random reboots, and that is an issue very different to the dissapearing icon issue. Which I'm still having BTW. (the icon issue, that is! :lol: )
I apologize. I must have misread your other post. :oops:
Could you give more detail in the disappearing icon issue you're seeing? Do the icons come back or do the start menu icons just vanish intermittently?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon May 14, 2007 3:07 pm

Topic split from main Update Pack for the sake of my sanity.

Carry on :)
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Tue May 15, 2007 2:27 am

You say that you have updated a clean XP SP2 install with Microsoft's updates and hotfixes, then WTF do you mean with "NOT SECURITY UPDATES" ? Microsoft's 'High Priority' updates consists of : Critical updates(not security related), security updates and software updates.
I don't know if I have to answer as I've seen that an moderator , perhaps Ryan, have deleted all my posts. So perhaps this one will be deleted too.

If you install manually downloaded updates - not automatic updates, you will see in the window opened that there are "Security Updates", "Updates" and "Hotfixes". That I want to say...

colornokia

Post by colornokia » Tue May 15, 2007 3:34 am

Eiffel wrote: I don't know if I have to answer as I've seen that an moderator , perhaps Ryan, have deleted all my posts. So perhaps this one will be deleted too.
They aren't deleted, just splited from this topic :)

s2mishappy

Post by s2mishappy » Tue May 15, 2007 4:34 am

my new windows when I restart 2-3 times, then suddenly when I open start-All progams. the icon of programs are missing. but not include of folder. only icons that are outside from folder.
like the icons of windows media player,internet explorer,remote asistance are missing... and the folder like accessories,games, start up, winrar are still there. dunno why, and dont know if my problems are same like the other.
dont care how much I restart, after restart they still the same, no change....still missing...
but this was happen to 1 computer from 3 computers.

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Tue May 15, 2007 5:38 am

Could you give more detail in the disappearing icon issue you're seeing? Do the icons come back or do the start menu icons just vanish intermittently?
Icons disappears after an restart or after shutting down and normal start. They never return back. If I make new icons, they will dissapear again after an new restart.

In fact, there is an icon wich appears in their place and never dissapear, but is an "My Computer" icon, with nothing write near it. If I click on it is my computer wich open. If I delete it it appears again after reboot.

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Tue May 15, 2007 5:48 am

Thanks. Didn't notice it before posting.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue May 15, 2007 6:54 am

Splitting more posts due to eagle-eyed people not noticing last time around :rolleyes:

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am

OK, I'm at a loss here. I have this update pack running in both VM and on my notebook and I'm not seeing this issue at all. What other programs are you running? Any anti-virus/malware utilities? Any interface tweaks? I'll try to mimic your setup to break this if needed.

But at the moment, I can't duplicate your discrepancy.

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Tue May 15, 2007 8:40 am

Well, in VM works fine for me too. Also it seems that affects only some computers. In my case only one with XP Pro installed. Probably I will try to replicate this again next weekend, as I don't like to keep this problem too much on my computer, so I will reinstall again. And this time I will install only april updates, and wait 1-2 days after each to see when it happened.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue May 15, 2007 9:06 am

Not reproducible in a VM? That'll make things difficult for me too then. Maybe it's a driver issue?

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Tue May 15, 2007 12:42 pm

@Eiffel
Just before you notice the icons disappear, do you see a CMD window pop up then disappear?

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Wed May 16, 2007 3:07 am

No. No CMD window seen. I've made other links with icons and put them in Programs, restart, but seen no CMD. But the links and icons dissapears...

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Wed May 16, 2007 4:25 am

The only reason I asked is there's a trojan out there that replaces exe/icons with modified versions and the only indication is a cmd window that flashes up and start menu icons turn into generic app/exe icons.

shot in the dark.

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Thu May 17, 2007 3:07 am

Well an virus or trojan was my first ideea, but I've scanned the computer with 2 antivirus - nothing found.

I have an suspicion however for an MS update for Windows Installer. But I need to check more before to say is sure. the suspicion comes because after the icons have disapear I've started to have some problems to install/uninstall aplications that uses msi. In most cases I receive an message saying that the installer is already running and i have to wait until it finished. Wich does not happen. Remains to see if this problem is the cause or the efect of the bug... Or just an other problem.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Fri May 18, 2007 11:07 pm

Are the icons the default windows ones or replacement icons via something like XPize?

Wonder if this might be related to the user32.dll error where it may not be registering the offset is corrupted but still freaking something out?

I'd think of something else, but the antibiotics I'm currently on make thinking difficult.

Eiffel

Post by Eiffel » Mon May 21, 2007 9:40 am

Are the icons the default windows ones or replacement icons via something like XPize?
Well, I think I've said that I've used ONLY the Ryan Pack for the integrated build, and the CLEAN install WIN XP SP2 + updates and hotfixes, for the second install.

NO HACKED FILES, NO HACKED ICONS. NO TWEAKING SOFTWARE, ALL FROM MICROSOFT.

The only abnormal thing, is that after installing the MS Installer updates, at boot, the msiexec is running for about 40 min, blocking me to install/uninstall software wich use msi files. I can do this only after killing the process. So if few days I've got only suspicions about this, now I'm almost sure that this is the problem causing the missing icons. Now i need just to reinstall, but avoid the MSI fixes, to check if it will be ok.