Sometimes I wonder (regarding addon policies)...

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
marzsyndrome

Sometimes I wonder (regarding addon policies)...

Post by marzsyndrome » Fri May 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Why do some people take the idea of credit and code-protection so seriously that they get all angry over anyone over anything, regardless of where that person sits in the IQ and Politeness levels?

Like, I was browsing through some old posts and discovered an incident from a while back where somebody unintentionally riled MrsPeel up as a result of trying to help the rest of the community in a good samaritan style regarding an addon that was presumed at the time to be lost in limbo. In a way I can understand some authors finding it important to receive general morale out of credit and non-abuse, but it seems sometimes they can take this protectiveness a tad too far, such as was the case with the above.

Sure, frown upon those who intentionally troll or act too immature to properly respect others, but don't take your anger out on those who honestly believe they're trying to help others in need of something on occasion. If I was an addon author myself - even with the possibility of a hard-working job on the side - I'd most likely tell the difference!

I don't know....... I just felt I had to say something. I'm not trying to troll in any way, that should be obvious from the offset.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri May 02, 2008 2:17 pm

This is an old issue, but I believe I can see where you're coming from. Recent events seem to dictate that it stays relevant. I believe it has more to do with a person's general outlook than a sense of propriety; although hard work and pride in one's accomplishments certainly do play a part.

All I can really say is that it becomes difficult to discern at times when a request or response borders on rudeness. It also becomes easy for a contributor to believe that they're being taken for granted or taken advantage of. The written word often fails to convey what we really mean, especially on the internet between culturally diverse individuals. What appears rude in one culture can be acceptable, even appropriate, in another.

I try to keep an open mind and assume a person has the best intentions. It's still hard sometimes for me to keep a clear head. I'm paranoid by nature. I feel that I have to be. If you knew me personally and what I've been through then you'd probably understand, if not agree on some level.

Good samaritan act or not, some things will cause other people aggravation. It's unavoidable on the internet or anywhere else. Good behavior can't be easily dictated because it's a subjective concept: it varies by the company you keep and the circumstances at hand.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat May 03, 2008 7:23 pm

Really no one can claim "ownership" of any addon. Unless of course they are the one who wrote the program to begin with. The way I look at it we are all learning from each other. If you want to release an addon that may or may not have been released in the past then you should not have to worry about offending another addon author. It is common courtesy to note where you may have gathered information or what addons you may have used to build upon. Ryan creates his UpdatePacks for the world... and takes no offence if someone else creates an updatepack. He actually enjoy's seeing others who have learned from his ideas. That is the whole point of what this community is built upon. Allthough we can not predict what others feel about any of this. 5eraph is correct... we are all from very different areas of the world. we have to remember that.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun May 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Honestly, some people take life too seriously. That's really all it boils down to. This is a community and ideally, we're all learning from each other.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357