[Tutorial] For Making A 7-Zip Switchless Installer

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
keytotime

[Tutorial] For Making A 7-Zip Switchless Installer

Post by keytotime » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:15 pm

1. Download and install the latest version of 7-Zip.
  2. Make a folder to copy all of the installation files to. If you are using a .msi include Msistub.exe in the folder. Make sure the installer name is under 8 character and has no spaces.
  3. Select all of them and right click on any file.
  4. Select "Add to archive...", which is under the select option.
  5. You can make the archive name to whatever you want it to be. Set the compression level to Ultra.
  6. Hit OK. Once the archive is created, you can delete all files except the archive.
  7. Copy 7zs.sfx to the folder containing the archive. This one has no cancel button.
  8. If you want, you can change the icon of the installer by replacing the icon in 7zS.sfx using ResHacker. For example, you can use the icon from the main program. Remember to save 7zS.sfx when you're finished.
    In order to get rid of the cancel button and the close button, go to Dialog→500→1033. Select all then paste in this code:

Code: Select all

500 DIALOG 0, 0, 186, 26
    STYLE DS_FIXEDSYS | DS_MODALFRAME | DS_CENTER | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION
    CAPTION "Progress"
    LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
    FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg"
    {
       CONTROL "Progress1", 1000, "msctls_progress32", PBS_SMOOTH | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_BORDER, 7, 7, 172, 14 
    }

In order to get rid of everthing paste in this code.

500 DIALOG 0, 0, 0, 0
    STYLE WS_POPUP
    CAPTION "Progress"
    LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
    FONT 8, "MS Shell Dlg"
    {
    }
    Select compiles and then save
  9. Open Notepad and add the following:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
    RunProgram="program.exe –switch"
    ;!@InstallEnd@!
    Replace program.exe with the name of your installer (including the extension). Replace -switch with the desired switch(es) to be used. You can also use a .cmd.

If you are using a .msi package you will need to use Msistub.exe. Msistub.exe will have to be inside the archive. The code for config.txt will be:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
    RunProgram="msistub program.msi /qb-!"
    ;!@InstallEnd@! 
    Where program.msi is the name of the msi. You can use /qb-! for an install with a progress screen and /qn for a install with no screen.
  10. Save as config.txt with UTF-8 encoding by selecting "UTF-8" from the dropdown menu in the "Save As..." dialog in Notepad. Save it to the same folder as 7zS.sfx and the 7z archive.
  11. The folder should now look something like this:
  12. Open a command prompt. CD to the folder. Then enter the following command:

copy /b 7zs.sfx + config.txt + (whatever the archive name).7z (Installer_Name).exe
That's it, you're done. Try it out.

7zs.sfx

Thanks Mavericks choice and RyanVM. Added .msi information.
Last edited by keytotime on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:18 am, edited 19 times in total.

prathapml

Post by prathapml » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:02 pm

If only phpBB had a feature to "print this topic" or ryanVM applied a hack to get it.....
(I like to "print" informative forum pages so that all posts are on one page with simple html).

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:06 pm

Point me to a hack and I'll add it. Once this guide is cleaned up a bit, I'm going to sticky this topic as well.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:54 pm

It should be noted that things are a bit more complex if your installer is MSI based. As it stands right now, 7-Zip SFX modules do not possess the ability to directly execute MSI files. Likewise, they also don't possess the ability to execute applications not in the directory of extraction. As a result, a program like StartX must be included in the 7-Zip archive. StartX can then be used to call msiexec, which can then launch the MSI installer. Here's an example for what the config.txt will look like at that point (from my .NET installer):

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT \"msiexec /i netfx.msi /qb-!\""
;!@InstallEnd@!

nfm

Post by nfm » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:47 pm

Nice job keytotime. Keep up the good work :D
DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR, 510-2Mod BIOS
146 Opteron at 3.21Ghz, 1.568v WC, 3.5Ghz on DIce
G.SKILL PC3200 BH-5 DDR540+ 2-2-2-0 twtr=1, 3.68v
OCZ 520W 3.3v at 3.81 5.0v at 5.11v 12v at 12.61v

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:54 pm

Yeah nice guide & a good job son, although with all Office work Asta's been doin at MSFN I started goin through the rest of the office progs & done the same nice inclusion on any UA creation.
The Man from Aus

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:45 pm

Thanks. :D :D

war59312

Post by war59312 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:58 pm

Nice guide.

Thanks a lot,
WIll
God Bless America

xiphias

Pulling config.txt from an already existing binary

Post by xiphias » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:38 am

Another of my quick questions;

Is there any way, after getting someone's finished switchless 7zip installer, to extract the config.txt from the binary .exe? This may be helpful in many respects:

1. You don't want to redo work that's already distributed freely.
2. You'd like to know what parameters are passed to the msi
3. You'd like to know #2 b/c then you wouldn't have to make posts like "It doesn't install the Java plugin for Mozilla, *cry*" (That's just hypothetical, I haven't tested out the new JRE beta yet)

Thanks for your hard work and time!
~xiphias

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:07 am

You can see it if you open the EXE in a hex editor, but that's about the only way I've seen a way to do it.

Nilfred

Re: Pulling config.txt from an already existing binary

Post by Nilfred » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:54 pm

xiphias wrote:Is there any way, after getting someone's finished switchless 7zip installer, to extract the config.txt from the binary .exe?

Find /I "RunProgram=" wmcsetup7.exe
Returns:

---------- WMCSETUP7.EXE
RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT "msiexec /i WinRMSrv.msi /qb-""

cybpsych

Post by cybpsych » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:28 am

these few days, certain areas in the Asia region experiencing extremely high of packet loss :( MSFN.org is practically unaccessible here, so i might just want to try my luck here ...

first, i've been enjoying making 7Z Switchless Installers! Thanks to 'keytotime' for posting the guide here and at MSFN.org. Kudos!

second, is there a special switch for installers packed by InstallShield?

the reason i'm asking this because all of my 7Z Installers having its temporary files deleted before the installation is completed.

i've followed exactly of the steps listed here, compressing went well, packing went well ...

however, when i tried to execute the 7Z installers, the extracted temp files in the TEMP folder will be deleted just about 3-4 seconds after loading the InstallShield Installer.

I peeked the TEMP folder just to see what's wrong. During 7Z extraction, the files were extracted fully. But, after 3-4 secs, most of the files are deleted, leaving just some IS files (which were used to load the IS Installer).

any1 experiencing this?

p/s: thinking of it, this scenario also happens when i use PackageForTheWeb to pack. the files will just *disappear*.

thefirstdohedo

Post by thefirstdohedo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:40 am

cybpsych wrote:these few days, certain areas in the Asia region experiencing extremely high of packet loss :( MSFN.org is practically unaccessible here, so i might just want to try my luck here ...

first, i've been enjoying making 7Z Switchless Installers! Thanks to 'keytotime' for posting the guide here and at MSFN.org. Kudos!

second, is there a special switch for installers packed by InstallShield?

the reason i'm asking this because all of my 7Z Installers having its temporary files deleted before the installation is completed.

i've followed exactly of the steps listed here, compressing went well, packing went well ...

however, when i tried to execute the 7Z installers, the extracted temp files in the TEMP folder will be deleted just about 3-4 seconds after loading the InstallShield Installer.

I peeked the TEMP folder just to see what's wrong. During 7Z extraction, the files were extracted fully. But, after 3-4 secs, most of the files are deleted, leaving just some IS files (which were used to load the IS Installer).

any1 experiencing this?

p/s: thinking of it, this scenario also happens when i use PackageForTheWeb to pack. the files will just *disappear*.
For those who experience this issue, it's being deleted immediately because it's not running, but is erroring out. For InstallShield, use -R, run through the setup, copy the install.iss file from %windir%, paste it into the folder that has the installer, you may need to open the install.iss file with notepad and edit the destination to c:\whatever if you install to a differently setup system next time, though, or you will error out every time if the path isn't found. Once you have the install.iss, run install.exe with the -S switch and you'll be silent.

Rich_S14

Post by Rich_S14 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:47 am

Try using the /SMS switch along with the /S switch. This will keep the setup.exe open when it's run in a script.

setup.exe /S /SMS

Details on all Installshield switches (from appdeploy.com)

Installshield article about /SMS switch

phamine

Post by phamine » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:49 pm

I've followed thw walkthrough - But I think I may have missed a step. I've followed the following steps of adding /S /SMS to the config.txt for installshield applications.

Im trying to test to see if the installer I created is indeed silent.

When I click on the installer I just created, the installer extracts and then I recieve this error:

7-Zip
"The System cannot find the file specified"

I'm checking the TEMP folder and notice after that error comes up, 7zS28.tmp folder is created.

What am I doing wrong?

x0vash0x

Post by x0vash0x » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:52 am

I have the exact same problem. I've messed around with it about twenty times. I've only gotten firefox to work correctly. Everything else gives me that 'Can't find specified file'

Mitsuko Aninikkou
Location: The Netherlands (But running US WinXP, in case it comes up)

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:04 am

Same problem here, unless I'm forgetting something... By the way, how do I get it to extract to a specific directory? -o%PROGRAMFILES%\thedir doesn't seem to work, and neither does -oC:\thedir for that matter..

krash56

Post by krash56 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:39 am

Is there a way to use the above method when the msi file is in a subfolder? I've pulled all my hair out trying to get RecordNow v7.3 to install silently. If I use a batch file it says it can't find the file. If I use StartX.exe nothing happens. Can anyone help me out with this dilemma?

crystal

i need help pleeeeeeese!

Post by crystal » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:19 am

Hi everyone this is my first post after trying to understand and figure all the terms and tech's you guy's sharing..it took me 2 long days to understand about 60% of whats in this site and how to deal with n-lite.

.....anyway I thank every one who contribute time and share his knoledge to the benefit of everyone else.

:idea: My question may seem a little stupid but to me it’s really important because I’m new to this, and I’m finding some difficulties understanding the last step of installing a switchless .cab file I mean if I use n-lite where and how do I copy the switchless installer to my cd folder? and when ?after the integration process of my work or before?
Any more details will be so helpful …….thanx.

owikh84

Post by owikh84 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:29 pm

i wanna make a silent installer for Winzip 10.. how to put my registration info from registry code (user name and serial number) into the installer

CMan

Post by CMan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:10 am

RyanVM wrote:Point me to a hack and I'll add it. Once this guide is cleaned up a bit, I'm going to sticky this topic as well.
Printer-friendly Topic Mod

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=141443

It's old but I found replies towards the end of the thread saying they got it working with 2.0.19

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:26 pm

removed
Last edited by ENU_user on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyrin

Post by Kyrin » Wed May 03, 2006 7:51 am

well i did the same thing i copied the thing exactly like it shows in the shell but when i did the install the drivers weren't installed and it appeared in the C:\ so i don't know what i did wrong. I followed everything right but iono.

vier

Post by vier » Sun May 21, 2006 2:18 pm

Hello,

I include your system in my last CréateurAddOn version (2.0.0 beta4) for simply create an addon programs : post here

stealth17

Post by stealth17 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:54 pm

RyanVM wrote:Point me to a hack and I'll add it. Once this guide is cleaned up a bit, I'm going to sticky this topic as well.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=141443

Love to see you add it!

System Error

Post by System Error » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:48 am

RyanVM wrote:It should be noted that things are a bit more complex if your installer is MSI based. As it stands right now, 7-Zip SFX modules do not possess the ability to directly execute MSI files. Likewise, they also don't possess the ability to execute applications not in the directory of extraction. As a result, a program like StartX must be included in the 7-Zip archive. StartX can then be used to call msiexec, which can then launch the MSI installer. Here's an example for what the config.txt will look like at that point (from my .NET installer):

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="StartX.exe /WAIT "msiexec /i netfx.msi /qb-!""
;!@InstallEnd@!
Does this mean that the Msistub.exe file no longer needs to be included in the 7z archive? :?:
What consumes your thoughts - controls your life

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:23 am

msistub is a newer and much better way to do it compared to startx

Vid0

Post by Vid0 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:44 pm

Starting with 7z 4.41 version you don't need msistub.exe or StartX.exe at all.
Only a new syntax must be used in script file. It looks like this:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
ExecuteFile="msiexec.exe"
ExecuteParameters="/i xxx.msi /qb-!"
;!@InstallEnd@!

vampyrus

Post by vampyrus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:55 am

i just tried to make a switchless installer for adobe reader 6 and everytime i try to open the repacked self extractor i get an error msg saying "cannot find setup.exe"
any idea why ... I have tried it using both the msi method and the other one as well ...

thx

BZJoe

Post by BZJoe » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:40 pm

:( Well, I tried using this tutorial for FireFox 1.5.0.6 and it didn't work for me. I found out the switch for a silent install is -ms, but it seems to not be passed on the the installer and I still get the prompts upon installation. Anybody know if this guide works for FF 1.5.0.6?

Thanks!

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:55 pm

-ms -ira

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:08 am

for all : here i found a good intro page that includes plenty of msi resources out their
enjoy ;)
http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/tips.htm

nonno fabio

Post by nonno fabio » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 pm

Msistub.exe will have to be inside the archive. The code for config.txt will be:
Code:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="msistub program.msi /qb-!"
;!@InstallEnd@!
Is it possible to start 2 programs with msistub?
Like:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="msistub program1.msi /qb-!"
RunProgram="msistub program2.msi /qb-!"
;!@InstallEnd@!
or is there another method?

tnx

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:36 pm

I haven't tried it that way. I use a CMD file if I need to run more than one program or clean up shortcuts.

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
InstallPath="%systemroot%\\Installer\\"
RunProgram="HideC.exe batch.cmd"
;!@InstallEnd@!

vier

Post by vier » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:19 pm

Hello, I create a little application for make easy 7zip-sfx : here

vier

Post by vier » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:34 am

In lats release (0.6), my soft (CréateurSFX) it's a real GUI base on keytotime's tutorial :
- it's support : exe, msi, cmd, bat and 7zip files
- detect installer type and complete switch section
- you can change icon for switchless installer !

dakota19

Post by dakota19 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:19 am

i must say vier this works great thanks

cybpsych

Post by cybpsych » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:03 pm

vier, i would like to give a suggestion to your excellent CréateurSFX ...

1) Optional to show extraction dialog box and ability to change the window title. Currently, it's totally silent.

2) At the main screen, the top section should be grouped as "Select exe/msi/bat/cmd ..." -> "Select the source file (exe/msi/bat/cmd/bat/7zip)" ... the bottom section should be "SFX file" -> "Target SFX file".

Just a suggestion to make better CréateurSFX! :)

vier

Post by vier » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:05 am

I think make in 0.8 version on CreateurSFX, many change for more option for 7z options and other !

cybpsych

Post by cybpsych » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:40 pm

vier, glad that there's continuous development to CreateurSFX ;)

hope that there's better compatbility with some setup installers 'cuz v0.7.2.1 sometimes cannot open the 7z file to select EXE installer to run ... for e.g. drivers installer from VIA ...

vier

Post by vier » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:44 pm

I know the bug from 7z file, and I fix it in a next release !

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:58 am

Just wanted to let u know that this tutorial has helped me out ALOT. I've only made a few, but the more I make, the better I get at it.

At first, it looked VERY complicated. But if you just do it step-by-step following your instructions, it's really not complicated at all! Some of the steps can be skipped (depending on what you're doing) and if you make a .bat file, you can make it even EASIER. (I made a little pack of 3 files that make this faster for me. I might post it here in a day or two.)

Switchless installers are great for making nlite addons, but also save hours of time!!

Thx, keytotime!
:wink:

pg.manq

Registry Editing

Post by pg.manq » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:24 am

Hey guys, :) firstly thank u so much for making life simpler. U guys r awesome. I have a doubt, (am a novice so) how can u edit the registry to add registration and custom settings after a silent install. I tried runing a .REG file through config.txt, but then on running, i am asked if i wanna add the registry :cry: . Wat are my options? Thanks :)

Martin H

Post by Martin H » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:26 pm

regedit.exe's silent switch is :

/s 
Example :

regedit /s settings.cmd
The switch is case-insensitive.

yadzil

Post by yadzil » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:53 am

can I put to archieve in on switchless installer? and how should the config.txt looks like

hatem20

Post by hatem20 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:16 pm

thank you very much

yeah016

Post by yeah016 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:25 pm

how to make the silent install execute the reg file??
i have try this
RunProgram="regedit /s java.reg"
and this
RunProgram="hidcon:cmd /c \"regedit -s filename.reg\""

still cant work
can u tell me where to put the reg file ?is that put together with the installer file?or not ?

or using this command?

copy /b 7zs.sfx + config.txt +jax.reg + (whatever the archive name).7z (Installer_Name).exe

please help me i am try this for whole day still cant work please

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:22 pm

when using:

copy /b 7zs.sfx + config.txt +jax.reg + (whatever the archive name).7z (Installer_Name).exe 
TIP:

there might be a condition where the 7zs.sfx wont compile "config.txt" correctly

a simple way is to check config.txt split from the compiled installer using 7zSplit tool

if the edits aren't like intended (that is the problem obviously) ... get a new 7zs.sfx for the compile ( in other words don't use the same one when compiling ...download a new one if you must)

repeat the test ...

good luck ;)

w00dr0w

Post by w00dr0w » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Ok I'm having an issue (probably my inept scripting)
I'm trying to make Realtek's HD audio drivers & app install silently, in the readme it says

--------------------
Silent Installation:
--------------------

Run "Setup.exe /s /f2<path\LogFile> /z[-rp<path\LogFile>]"
i.e. setup.exe /s /f2c:\mylog.log /z[-rpC:\RHDSetup.log]
I tried all sorts of formating for it and none of it seems to work. The last one i tried I created the Config.txt containing an almost exact copy of their command and to no avail :sigh:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram=setup.exe /s /f2c:\test\mylog.log /z[-rpC:\RHDSetup.log]
;!@InstallEnd@!
Just get a msgbox with the header 7-zip and the message saying config failed
Could someone help me figure out how to setup the config.txt right please?
I just need to get this one driver/program to install silently and I'll have my whole boards devices slipstreamed into XPhome

If you need any extra info don't hesitate to ask!

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:28 pm

You forgot the quotes

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="setup.exe /s /f2c:\test\mylog.log /z[-rpC:\RHDSetup.log]"
;!@InstallEnd@!