RyanVM integrator is deleting "SP3.CAB"???

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
lejedeag

Post by lejedeag » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Any reason why RyanVM integrator is deleting "SP3.CAB"??? Setup asked me for UniDRV.DLL and would only find it in original untouched SP3 CD in SP3.CAB.

Why does it remove this file and what else is it taking out?

Thanks

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:39 pm

RVMi will not copy the folders WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and WINNTUPG to save space when specifying both a source and a destination. The folders are not necessary when performing a fresh install.

SP3.CAB is merged with DRIVER.CAB to save space by keeping the newer files found in both. To prevent problems with this, RVMi removes references to SP3.CAB in DOSNet.inf, TxtSetup.sif and DrvIndex.inf.

How else are you modifying your source?

lejedeag

Post by lejedeag » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 am

I am integrating Mass Storage 11.11 with DriverPack afterwards... That's it. No WMP or IE8. Could that be it? What do you suggest? I was told to only integrate Mass Storage AFTER the QFE integration.

Also I noticed that there is an option in the integrator, it says "Optimize System Files". I didn't check it, should I?

Thanks

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:18 am

It should not be necessary to enable Optimize System Files.

The DriverPacks should always be added last. Beyond that, my knowledge of them is years out of date.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:29 am

As far as I know, the DriverPacks BASE app does not delete SP3.cab. It does however make changes to both the txtsetup.sif & dosnet.inf files (after they're backed up to *.org). Is it possible that you made a change to the source after integrating the driverpacks and ran the BASE app again (this would restore the *.org files then modify them again.)
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

lejedeag

Post by lejedeag » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:15 am

Nope, everything was done from a fresh untouched SP3 repo, care to try it out for yourself? I'll try it again without integrating DriverPack Mass Storage and see if it bugs me about UniDRV.DLL.

Also, this disc wasn't being used for a fresh install, it was for a repair. But if you say that I can point it to driver.cab when it asks me for UniDRV.DLL, then it's not a big deal, really.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:51 am

I can confirm what 5eraph said. Using RVMI to integrate this updatepack and no other changes to a virgin XP Pro SP3 source, SP3.CAB is merged with DRIVER.CAB and I get zero errors.

Botus

Post by Botus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:21 pm

I could be mistaken but I thought the use of driver packs stopped the disc functioning for the recovery console bit.

is that what we mean by repair.... "this disc wasn't being used for a fresh install, it was for a repair" ?

lejedeag

Post by lejedeag » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Yes, normally, DriverPack integrated discs skip the recovery console and repair option. If you remove the "Unattended" section from the WINNT.SIF file, then it will not skip that part.

Repair is when you press enter at the intro screen, F8 for the agreement, and then it searches for previous installations and allows you to repair a previous install. Important for doing system to system transfers for people who want a new computer but don't want to transfer all their programs to a new OS.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Botus is correct. Driverpacks integrated with the BASE app don't play well with "repair" or Win32 initiated installs. If that's the route you want to take, then I'd suggest having a separate XP build just for repair installs (with no DriverPacks) and use our SAD2 utility instead post-install.
Sorry to hijack the thread. :oops: