Search found 498 matches

by code65536
Sat May 02, 2009 11:06 pm
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: I heard XP stopped updates
Replies: 34
Views: 10210

It isn't even the lopsided underdog nature that bothers me so much as the fact that even with orders of magnitude greater resources they still can't do better. Well, there's a lot that goes into releasing a fix. Identifying the problem and coming up with the fix is usually the easy part. Putting th...
by code65536
Sat May 02, 2009 8:43 pm
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: I heard XP stopped updates
Replies: 34
Views: 10210

First, a clarification: I'm talking solely about desktop consumer usage. If given a choice, I would never, ever pick Windows Server for something that can be done with Unix. If given a choice, I would never use IIS over Apache (even on Windows boxes, I prefer Apache). For server, non-consumer use, I...
by code65536
Sat May 02, 2009 1:19 pm
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: I heard XP stopped updates
Replies: 34
Views: 10210

Never get into an OS debate. Never get into an OS debate. Never get into an OS debate. Oh, to heck with it. :P "Substandard piece of shit OS"? Them's fightin' words, sir. I am curious as to what criteria you use to determine that, but here's mine: Technical merits: The NT kernel is actually pretty a...
by code65536
Sat May 02, 2009 8:00 am
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: I heard XP stopped updates
Replies: 34
Views: 10210

I don't get why people are so worked up over the death of XP. When extended support goes dark in 2014 (assuming that it doesn't get extended again), XP would be nearly 13 years old. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone supporting a version that's 5 years old, let alone 10 or 13. Want security updat...
by code65536
Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:41 am
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: Afraid to use RVM Update Pack with nLite because of BLOAT
Replies: 50
Views: 11485

That would be easy, but it's not a clean solution -- because as we can see, a lot of these entries add stuff to the registry. So you end up with ghost registry entries. :lol: Anyone else sense the irony of someone using nLite complaining about a "clean solution"? If you really want a "clean solutio...
by code65536
Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:25 am
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: I heard XP stopped updates
Replies: 34
Views: 10210

Well, I tried Kubuntu (64-bit) 9.04 not too long ago, not that I hated it, but it just it's not my cup of tea Ditto. Ever since the 90's when I borrowed a Red Hat disc from a friend, I've had Linux on a box somewhere. And I would wipe and reinstall it with a new distro now and then, hoping each tim...
by code65536
Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:49 pm
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: I heard XP stopped updates
Replies: 34
Views: 10210

It really depends on how you define "get anything done". After a couple of download-and-run-something-stupid incidents, the last time I troubleshooted (read: nuked and reinstalled) a machine used by some non-technical relatives, I decided to make all of the users non-admins. This was over 2 years ag...
by code65536
Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:50 pm
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: I heard XP stopped updates
Replies: 34
Views: 10210

People should keep in mind that MS still releases 2K updates every month. And that XP is still being sold and will still continue being sold on netbooks, and although MS is technically not on the hook for supporting those copies of XP (since support for OEM XP is the responsibility of the OEM--hence...
by code65536
Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:56 am
Forum: Windows XP Professional
Topic: Onepiece XP Post-SP3 AIO Update Pack FINAL
Replies: 3569
Views: 1433550

I have no problems with IE8 with an old 8-year-old laptop (older than XP!). It's not resource-intensive (turn off the phishing filter). Nowadays, the biggest resource hog when browsing is, by far, that disgusting immorality known as Flash--the amount of resources spent by the browser itself is so lo...
by code65536
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:04 am
Forum: Windows XP Professional
Topic: Onepiece XP Post-SP3 AIO Update Pack FINAL
Replies: 3569
Views: 1433550

I know this is off-topic, but I wonder why people hate IE8 so much. Is is some blind knee-jerk anti-M$ response? For the record, I absolutely hate IE6 simply because of the amount of time and energy (from a developer's point of view) that must be spent to work around IE6 bugs. The web would be a muc...
by code65536
Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:54 am
Forum: Switchless Installer Discussion
Topic: problem with install fonts
Replies: 6
Views: 1966

1) Opening the font folder automatically registers any unregistered font. If you need to open the font folder in order for the font to work, then the font was not correctly registered. 2) fontinst is responsible for copying the fonts to the font directory, not you; do not extract to the Windows font...
by code65536
Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:34 am
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: I heard XP stopped updates
Replies: 34
Views: 10210

That is incorrect. It's now in extended support instead of mainstream support. In practical terms, nothing has changed.
by code65536
Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:54 am
Forum: Windows XP Professional
Topic: Which of the 'non-RyanVM' post sp2/sp3 packs are closest to
Replies: 4
Views: 3043

crashfly wrote:I personally think that redxii's update pack is closest to Ryan's update pack.
The QFE vs. GDR difference is very significant, esp. as time goes on. Personally, I would say that the QFE vs. GDR decision is the most important defining characteristic, with everything else subordinate to that.
by code65536
Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:10 pm
Forum: Windows XP Professional
Topic: Which of the 'non-RyanVM' post sp2/sp3 packs are closest to
Replies: 4
Views: 3043

What publicly-available en-US packs are there for XP-SP3? I only know of three. Xable: ultra-conservative redxii: very conservative Onepiece: ultra-liberal RVM's is moderately liberal. I don't really think there is an en-US XP-SP3 pack that is quite like his, since his is more or less equidistant fr...
by code65536
Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:51 pm
Forum: Windows XP Professional
Topic: [Updated] XP SP3 Update Pack 02.10-01
Replies: 644
Views: 256300

The resetwmi you're using is quite old, later version is out. It really doesn't matter which version is used. The only "updates" to resetwmi have been inconsequential things like changes to the build process, adding a 64-bit version, typo fixes in the comments, etc.--nothing that affects the actual...
by code65536
Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:36 pm
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [Release] WGA Validation - v1.9.40.0
Replies: 65
Views: 39962

Besides, I'd be too damn lazy to put it in a 7zip archive just 'cause poor ol' nLite treats every exe as a Microsoft hotfix. Hehe, actually, since I never use nLite, I didn't even realize that was a problem until you pointed it out in one of my threads some months ago. I had always incorrectly thou...
by code65536
Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:56 pm
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [Release] WGA Validation - v1.9.40.0
Replies: 65
Views: 39962

/me thinks this would be a good candidate for release as a switchless installer. I include WGAV on my discs as a switchless INF-based installer (in part because I'm the biggest cheerleader for switchless on this forum :)). But it's useful because I can use my installer to update live systems as well...
by code65536
Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:48 pm
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: Request for next UpdatePack... Remote Desktop Fix
Replies: 9
Views: 3152

I'm very wary of having update packs "fix" things like this. I've never had a problem with RDP, and the link provided seems to suggest that this is only a problem for those who do this through IE (and is this IE7-only or does it affect IE6 as well?). It's very easy to make a separate addon to fix th...
by code65536
Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:50 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: [CMD] How to perform up one level
Replies: 5
Views: 1370

/me gestures towards the timestamps in this thread

Please don't dig up old threads from the grave.
by code65536
Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:16 pm
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [Release] Kels CPL Mega Pack v13.2
Replies: 220
Views: 129735

The links are broken because the thread is a little out-of-date; I think there is an updated thread for this at wincert.net.
by code65536
Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:09 pm
Forum: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Topic: CTFMON.EXE requirement and dependencies?
Replies: 5
Views: 5713

Why would MS make a file startup even when you deleted the Run key? Seems very dubious. I don't know for sure, but here's a guess: Seeing as how this is a component that is vital to user input in many non-US locales, it makes perfect sense from a "let's reduce the likelihood of tech support calls f...
by code65536
Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:18 pm
Forum: Windows XP Professional
Topic: How to hide certain windows updates..
Replies: 9
Views: 2692

About WM4.7 specifically: I used to get Windows Messenger 4.7 offers in WU, but I don't get them any more (and I haven't changed anything in the interim), even on new installs. AFAIK, MS stopped offering it after it became, well, hopelessly obsolete. So I'm a bit surprised that it's offering it to y...
by code65536
Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:03 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: HTML syntax/funtion help needed!
Replies: 9
Views: 2003

i could imagine code65536 being an Amish person in another life Haha. I know, I come off as a Luddite sometimes, but there is a difference between being against things for the sake of being against them, and being against things because I am an engineer at heart and am thus intolerant of things tha...
by code65536
Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:42 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: HTML syntax/funtion help needed!
Replies: 9
Views: 2003

Um, found a minor bug in my demo code; I forgot to take into account situations where the trigger text happens to straddle a line break. Updated the demo to handle that scenario. And of course, the demo isn't very pretty (it's a demo ;)), but the styling and how it appears is entirely customizable, ...
by code65536
Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: HTML syntax/funtion help needed!
Replies: 9
Views: 2003

Ick. Those JavaScript mouse popups are so annoying, especially the ones that do mouse-tracking. I often browse with the NoScript extension so that I can avoid these (and other JavaScript-spawned) annoyances that infect the web. There is a better way to do it with just pure, crisp W3C-approved HTML+C...
by code65536
Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:41 pm
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [Release] WGA Validation - v1.9.40.0
Replies: 65
Views: 39962

I've tried to update myself redxii's addon (like i usually do) with the new version but the update keeps showing in Windows Update. So i tried to find the new registry keys with RegSnap, and that's how i found those i posted. There are also more stuff but i'm not sure it must be added. Um, WGAV is ...
by code65536
Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:56 am
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [Release] WGA Validation - v1.9.40.0
Replies: 65
Views: 39962

They announced this a couple of days ago:
http://blogs.msdn.com/wga/archive/2009/ ... p-pro.aspx

@Lucius

I assume that those keys are just for WGAN and not for WGAV?
by code65536
Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:56 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: dumping 'real' anti-virus for ad-aware & malwarebytes?
Replies: 30
Views: 5137

i think nav 2009 is set to dl new sigs every 15 minutes or something. some av programs download once a day or once an hour etc. That, my dear, is an extremely cute marketing gimmick, because even if you update every second, it doesn't change the fact that it still takes a long time for a virus in t...
by code65536
Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:33 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: dumping 'real' anti-virus for ad-aware & malwarebytes?
Replies: 30
Views: 5137

would anyone *really* notice much of a difference? Yes. But even if the impact was small (which it isn't because AV's biggest hit is on the most "vulnerable" link), there is still the principle of the matter: why throw resources away needlessly? Just because you can waste resources, lower battery l...
by code65536
Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:56 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: dumping 'real' anti-virus for ad-aware & malwarebytes?
Replies: 30
Views: 5137

i wonder how much of a performance hit would it really make this day in age? that article was from 2006, so i'd be interested to know if its the same numbers modern components like an i7 proc and a western digital velociRaptor hd etc CPU speeds and memory bandwidth advance much more quickly than HD...
by code65536
Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:15 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: dumping 'real' anti-virus for ad-aware & malwarebytes?
Replies: 30
Views: 5137

code65536, are you sure you meant the Apple guy, and not Peter Norton or John McAfee? Macs are just as vulnerable when a problem exists between keyboard and chair. What I meant by that is that the whole AV thing plays into Apple's marketing perfectly because it lets Apple make the claim, "see, Wind...
by code65536
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:33 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: dumping 'real' anti-virus for ad-aware & malwarebytes?
Replies: 30
Views: 5137

[quote="roirraW "edor""]I know, I was just joshing you. :)[/quote] I know. ;) One immediate positive; my laptop boots faster and is more responsive. Ain't it great? Welcome to the world of anti-AV! :D That's probably the best reason for going "naked": Faster performance and longer battery life. Anti...
by code65536
Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:21 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: dumping 'real' anti-virus for ad-aware & malwarebytes?
Replies: 30
Views: 5137

He's a witch! Get him! :lol:
by code65536
Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:28 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: dumping 'real' anti-virus for ad-aware & malwarebytes?
Replies: 30
Views: 5137

what about people who look at p0rn sites and download stuff.. er.. hypothetically speaking Shouldn't be a problem with a decent browser. I *very* strongly recommend Firefox with NoScript (plus a few Fx config tweaks). Hopefully, computer literate people will recognize that when a site takes you to ...
by code65536
Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:00 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: dumping 'real' anti-virus for ad-aware & malwarebytes?
Replies: 30
Views: 5137

[quote="roirraW "edor""]What did you say your IP address is again? ;)[/quote] If you have to ask, then I have no need to worry about you. :P (it's not a secret; you just have to know where to look) But the fact of the matter is this: the crap that gets peddled in the name of "security" will do diddl...
by code65536
Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:06 pm
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [29.07.09] Internet Explorer 8 RTM Slipstream Addon
Replies: 94
Views: 63925

someone made a post about this over a the msfn site http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/ie/cc889351.aspx looks kind of interesting The IEAK (which has been around for many, many years) is targeted for big IT depts that want to customize their IE deployment. Could be useful for people looking to cust...
by code65536
Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:50 am
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [29.07.09] Internet Explorer 8 RTM Slipstream Addon
Replies: 94
Views: 63925

* To determine if a DLL is a COM-only DLL, load it up into the Dependency Walker and look at the DLL's export table. In case anyone is curious, 2.2.7000: http://rapidshare.com/files/193180690/depends-2.2.7000-x86.rar Where might I find build 6001 or 7000 for x64? The latest build available on Depen...
by code65536
Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:23 am
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [29.07.09] Internet Explorer 8 RTM Slipstream Addon
Replies: 94
Views: 63925

i couldnt find the lines where the ie8 setup does this. the only section where this files are is the "BinariesToHideUpdatesFor" section. but nothing about a self-register section What I normally do is check to see if a DLL is a COM-only DLL*, and if it is, then it has to be registered, either by se...
by code65536
Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:07 am
Forum: Windows XP Professional
Topic: [Updated] XP SP3 Update Pack 02.10-01
Replies: 644
Views: 256300

user_hidden wrote:interesting never heard of a slipstreamed, optimized, driver packed MSDN version
That's because one doesn't exist. It's pretty much guaranteed that kaitsevaim is referring to some warez copy he found.
by code65536
Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:46 pm
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [Release] Microsoft Runtime Libraries 1.4.8 (32-bit)
Replies: 95
Views: 109851

Raoul90 wrote:This is for multilanguage use i assume?
Yes; Microsoft language runtimes are language-neutral.
by code65536
Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:47 pm
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [Release] Microsoft Runtime Libraries 1.4.8 (32-bit)
Replies: 95
Views: 109851

Updated.

VC9: 9.0.30729.4048


Original installers if you want the original VC9 install packages but don't want to sit through downloading 350+MB of stuff
by code65536
Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:00 pm
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: [Tool] FontReg 2.1.3 - Font install and registration repair
Replies: 54
Views: 88042

crocodilechris wrote:Just to be sure:
I can rename FontReg.exe to FontInst.exe and replace fontinst.exe on CD with this file and don't have to do more than this?
See the "Usage - Font Installation" section of the first post; the way you use FontReg.exe for installations differs from how you use fontinst.exe.
by code65536
Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:41 pm
Forum: Windows XP Professional
Topic: Onepiece XP Post-SP3 AIO Update Pack FINAL
Replies: 3569
Views: 1433550

yumeyao wrote:MS says msxml6 supersedes msxml4 and people who are using msxml4 should update to msxml6.
That message was intended for developers, not for end-users.
by code65536
Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:57 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: dumping 'real' anti-virus for ad-aware & malwarebytes?
Replies: 30
Views: 5137

But the laptops get conected to college networks a couple of times a week (both wired and wireless). So I'm thinking that I need something not so commando even if it's just a fairly strict process and network trafic monitor. When I was in college, all of my systems were hooked to the campus network...
by code65536
Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:37 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: dumping 'real' anti-virus for ad-aware & malwarebytes?
Replies: 30
Views: 5137

Or you could just go commando. I've been running Windows without any sort of anti-virus, anti-spyware or firewall (with the exception of the router that keeps out unsolicited inbound traffic, except for those on 22, 80, 443, and 3389; I have no outbound restrictions) for many, many years and have ne...
by code65536
Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:35 am
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: winlogon.exe crash with autologin...
Replies: 4
Views: 1905

Re: winlogon.exe crash with autologin...

fly wrote:So I'm having a problem with winlogon.exe crashing when using the autologin registry keys.
You need to find out the name of the module where the crash occurred.
by code65536
Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:02 am
Forum: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Topic: 5eraph's post-SP2 Update Pack v2017-06_2
Replies: 967
Views: 524704

5eraph wrote:I have a 2 Mbit/s uplink here at home.
*envies*
by code65536
Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:47 pm
Forum: Switchless Installer Discussion
Topic: [Request] Need FLASHACTIVEX-10.0.22.87
Replies: 3
Views: 1398

Erm, did you even try to search the forum first? Even if you didn't search, the addon that you are looking for is right there on the first page of the switchless releases subforum. I also recall you making a few similar requests at MSFN, looking for things that would have been found with a simple fo...
by code65536
Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:39 pm
Forum: Update Pack Discussion
Topic: [Tool] Fixing WMI repository corruption issues
Replies: 30
Views: 29731

pendmove has a bug that prevents it from moving protected files (in order to move a protected file, pendmove needs to first set a registry key that tells Windows that it's okay to move protected files (Windows automatically resets the key once the move has completed)--which is really silly because ...
by code65536
Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:08 am
Forum: Update Pack Addons
Topic: [Release] Kels' Runtimes v8.8
Replies: 922
Views: 452601

I did search (before posting) on the vc++ 2008 download page, but it didn't show which dll were inside. So it never occurred to you to cast a slightly wider net to determine what files are inside? (or more importantly, to find out what exactly the redistributable that you are asking for is supposed...