USB Drive

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Vista

USB Drive

Post by Vista » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:37 pm

Hello,
when i plug in the USB Pen Drive/ USB MP3 Player
the "new hardware wizard" pops up. & i need to install it.

is there any way do a auto install
( like when you plug USB in to a non-nlited/rvmed. windows XP it auto installs the driver.)

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:21 am

I never have an issue with my usb thumb drives.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:58 am

he does not have an issue, he just wants it to autoinstall silently.
here is what i do for when i have usb software connected and i want it to install silently during my installs.

have you ever noticed that after the first time you install a usb device in a specific port that if you plug that device in again you dont get the new hardware wizard? thats because after you install the first time, windows stores the path to the drivers in the regestry along with a key that tells it if this device is conected in the future simply use those drivers automatically and dont harrass the user.

so first what you have to do is go through the add neww hardware thingy, then monitor your rgistry for the changes made. then simply export those changes to reg file, import them during your install in whichever way you prefer, then voila once install is finished and you plug in your device no new hardware wizard and device is installed.
hope this info helps
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

PainBreak

Post by PainBreak » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:04 pm

Wow, I have this same problem, too. Any idea why it freaks out when you insert USB drive keys and other USB devices? With a fresh install of Windows XP and SP2, it just installs on its own without prompting.

Here's the deal: I'm running this in a lab at a school, and students want to use USB Drive Keys. Since they're not administrators, they can't run through the "New Hardware Wizard." Same thing with digital cameras, mice, et cetera.

Please let me know if there's a fix for this, because other than this, the pack saves a ton of time during the imaging process.

Thanks
What a swell place to work!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:28 pm

I personally can't reproduce. I did a recent format and my Cruzer Mini and iPod Shuffle both installed without any prompting.

Did you disable Windows File Protection by chance?
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:30 pm

It did it to me as well when I first installed it, but if you leave it plugged in while you're reinstalling you're O/S you won't have to worry about it because it will be taken care of when it's up and running... Yes, I was finally able to get Windows to install once again... gotta go the long route to getting it all up and running again though :(...
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

PainBreak

Post by PainBreak » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:58 am

Windows File Protection is not disabled. I'm thinking this is related to using the BTS driver pack (specifically the Mass Storage driver pack, but I'm not 100% sure, it could be reintegrating the drivers...or anything else) but msfn.org's been down every time I've tried to post on there recently. :(

I wish there were a workaround, but unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out what's causing the problem. One would think it'd have to be something pretty simple, however. What's odd is that it seems as if almost every driver is unsigned, because it pops up the unsigned driver warning for every USB key (or anything related to USBSTOR.* even though it's the latest official MS driver) and for digital cameras. It doesn't claim it's unsigned for keyboards/mice/HIDs, but it does make you go through the new device wizard every time you plug *anything* into a USB port, regardless of whether or not it's been installed before.

Any help with this would be much appreciated, but it's likely not an issue with the update packs.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:00 am

The only way I could see the Update Pack playing a role in this is if Windows didn't see the updated USB drivers included in it as signed. However, it does :P. I'd be interested to see what happens if you did an install w/o the BTS packs.

armond

Post by armond » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:39 am

Just click next. You should see the Device not signed message. Ignore it by pressing the Continue anyway. I also have the same issue by an HP Laser Jet 5L printer.
Hope that Ryan fixed the issue...

PainBreak

Post by PainBreak » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:07 pm

Well, the problem is, it's in a lab environment where users do not have administrative rights, and can't even get to the New Hardware Wizard. It just pops up a box wanting an admin username/pass. Good news is, I have a fix.

Reapplying SP2 seems to resolve the issue. Kind of makes the update pack worthless, but then again, I've got a SUS set up anyhow, so at least I won't be without all the current updates. So, if anyone's having this issue, just reapply SP2 and everything will be golden.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:13 am

Your problem is not having admin rights. I use Ryan's pack and I also use the BTS driver packs and I have never had this issue when logged in as an administrative user.

Currently and before I ever began using RVM and BTS, I've always made it a practice to plug in a USB mouse before deploying a computer. In my lab I use a KVM switch that uses PS2 ports, hence the need to install the USB mouse. This is also an issue with all of the laptops since they have their own built in pointing device yet many users feel the need to use a traditional mouse.

Reapplying SP2 will do nothing. It's not like the days of old where you were constantly reapplying a service pack to NT4. If reapplying SP2 helps in some fashion, that means you have something screwed up to begin with.

PainBreak

Post by PainBreak » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 am

RogueSpear wrote:Your problem is not having admin rights. I use Ryan's pack and I also use the BTS driver packs and I have never had this issue when logged in as an administrative user.

Currently and before I ever began using RVM and BTS, I've always made it a practice to plug in a USB mouse before deploying a computer. In my lab I use a KVM switch that uses PS2 ports, hence the need to install the USB mouse. This is also an issue with all of the laptops since they have their own built in pointing device yet many users feel the need to use a traditional mouse.

Reapplying SP2 will do nothing. It's not like the days of old where you were constantly reapplying a service pack to NT4. If reapplying SP2 helps in some fashion, that means you have something screwed up to begin with.

Yes, something was messed up with the BTS driver packs, and it is a known issue in using anything other than method 1. I'm not the only person that had this problem, as I've found multiple threads here, in msfn, and in other forums. I appreciate your "kind words" telling me what my problem is or isn't, even though you haven't paid a bit of attention to what I've posted in the thread, but this solution works just fine, and I'm positive it will work for others that have the same problem.

I don't know why you felt the need to try to tell me what does or doesn't work, I mean...it's not like I'm trying to start a "fight." I've come up with a solution to the issue that many people are having. If you're not having this problem, what the hell was the point of posting in this thead? You've only proven that you have no experience with this issue, and in the same breath, talking down to someone that's actually helping people out.

As far as admin rights go, that has NOT A DAMNED THING TO DO WITH IT. The "no admin rights" issue is that students log in and tried to use a flash drive/camera/unplug and plug the mouse/keyboard/any usb device back in, and XP runs the Found New Hardware Wizard and tries to find new drivers for everything, rather than remembering that it already has a driver. Of course someone without admin privs can't use this utility, because they can't make permanent changes. So we have Issue #1: Running the Found New Hardware Wizard

Issue #2: The drivers it would find are standard Microsoft USB drivers (USBSTOR.SYS, etc) that are WHQL signed, but something was jacked with certifications (corrupt .cat files, anyone?) so they all come up as non-certified, and bring up the "If you install these drivers, we at Microsoft can't guarantee your computer won't spontaneously combust. Continue?" message. Nobody wants to see that, especially when it works just fine on a standard install of XP.

Don't act like it's just me having issues with this, since I'm posting in a thread about THIS EXACT ISSUE that, coincidently, I didn't start.

In closing, don't act like a douchebag to people that are coming up with solutions to fix issues, and don't shit on a thread rather than coming up with valid solutions yourself. I do appreciate Ryan's posts in this thead, even though in the end, I'm 99.9% sure his update pack had nothing to do with the end result of broken USB pnp support.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:19 am

The point is that restricted users cannot install hardware. Point 2, I use BTS driver packs and RVM update pack quite a bit and have never experienced the issues you present. I have seen a few people experience the issue you're having and it was a result of them not doing something right.

Claiming that you "have a fix" is at best a bit premature statement. Why don't you go back and read some of your own posts before contradicting yourself "douchebag".

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:25 am

PainBreak wrote:Well, the problem is, it's in a lab environment where users do not have administrative rights, and can't even get to the New Hardware Wizard.
Then later in the thread...
PainBreak wrote:As far as admin rights go, that has NOT A DAMNED THING TO DO WITH IT. The "no admin rights" issue is that students log in and tried to use a flash drive/camera/unplug and plug the mouse/keyboard/any usb device back in, and XP runs the Found New Hardware Wizard and tries to find new drivers for everything, rather than remembering that it already has a driver. Of course someone without admin privs can't use this utility, because they can't make permanent changes. So we have Issue #1: Running the Found New Hardware Wizard
This makes a lot of sense. You're obviously not taking AP classes with sentence structure like this.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:40 pm

OK everybody, cool down. Don't make me have to do some real moderation :P

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:56 pm

I wanted to take the high road on this, believe me. But I didn't think the toll receipts would do me any good. My apologies to the membership for losing my cool.

@PainBreak, you are right. In hind sight my "kind words" appear to be rather flip. I'll certainly own up to that one. But I seriously hope that if you're involved with a lab in an educational setting, that you're the student and not someone in a position of authority if anything I wrote would drive you to detonate as you did.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:15 pm

RogueSpear wrote:I wanted to take the high road on this, believe me.
Believe me, I can relate :( (those of you who read MSFN a lot know what I'm talking about)

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:18 pm

I know what you are talking about Ryan.

PainBreak

Post by PainBreak » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:13 am

RogueSpear:

If your initial post was the sum total of your effort to help me and anyone else regarding this issue, then you were best served not posting it at all. You're the one that initiated and instigated this, but I admit that I took things a bit too far. I should have just dismissed what you said, because in essence, I saw it and instantly felt as if I was being attacked by someone who didn't have a grasp on the issue at hand. This isn't a personal attack against you; it's just that what you said was completely unrelated to the problem. I'm positive that I share partial fault for not being more detailed in my description of the problem.

Even you admit that you wrote your initial remarks in a snide and condescending manner. I'm glad that everything is working for you, and that you've had no issues with either of the packs. I assume that only a select few out of all of the people that use these packs have these issues, but also assumedly, the ones that do would appreciate the ability to correct it post-install. If they didn't, I wouldn't imagine they'd post threads about it.

The biggest issue that we have is that prior to my posting a workaround for the problem, one that alleviates it completely, you had the audacity to challenge it. Not by providing proof contrary to the claim however, but by dismissing it entirely. Instantly, you go back on your initial statement, though, and retort that if it does work, I obviously screwed something up to begin with. Well, no shit? :) So did a good number of other people, evidently, since I didn't even start this thread, nor the plethora of other threads on msfn and other forums about the same issue. It doesn't discount the fact that the issue is still there, and needs resolved and unfortunately you weren't able to tell us what exactly it was that we screwed up.

I can't help but want to counter the things you've said, and the out-of-context quotes you used to help solidify the "high road" that you're taking. :) The first post of the thread details the problem. I couldn't help but assume (and assumed you'd assume) that they're already logged in as administrator. The problem is that the wizard pops up, period. It pops up when you're an administrator, and it'll (attempt to) pop up when you're not. If you're not an administrator, you still have the ability to install USB devices that do not require loading and unloading of drivers. This encompasses USB Drive Keys, Digital Cameras that load as a generic mass storage device, USB HID Devices such as keyboards and mice, et cetera. Whatever happened during the slipstreaming process caused this to no longer be the case, and henceforth made Windows think that a driver needed to be loaded for every USB device. It didn't stop there, though. It continued on, thinking that every driver, whether it did or didn't, was not WHQL certified.

Now, I'll explain to you the "not logged in as administrator" problem. If you're logged in as administrator, this whole issue is pretty much a moot point. It's annoying that it pops up, but you hit continue a couple of times and not only does your device work properly, but all is well in the world. Unfortunately, we have a lot of students and teachers that do not have administrative rights, wanting to utilize USB devices that, by all rights, they should be able to plug in and use. When not logged in as an administrator on a normal XP machine, these devices install without any prompts. In this case, however, Windows wants to run the "Holy crap, you've plugged in a USB device, and it blew my F-ing mind" wizard. This wizard requires administrative rights to run, period, so it prompts for an administrative username and password. Of course they don't have one, so their device will never work.

The end result is that reapplying SP2 rectifies this, without any consequence but my lost time. All programs function normally, it doesn't jack up the default user profile, and again, all is well in the world. The only downside is that any hotfixes you've applied post SP2 will need to be reinstalled.

I apologize for blowing things out of proportion, and I hope this helps you to better understand why your post was frustrating, why it wasn't an administrative rights issue, why reapplying SP2 fixes the issue, and why I took offense the way I did. It was also in poor judgment that I posted my retort, and again, I apologize. This board, Ryan, nor its members should not have to scroll through these sorts of squabbles to get answers to problems, and although I don't feel that I was the instigator, I do realize that I took the troll-bait and ran with it. Also, just for reference, AP classes came and went a long, long time ago. :)

techtype

Re: USB Drive

Post by techtype » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:23 am

Vista wrote:( like when you plug USB in to a non-nlited/rvmed. windows XP it auto installs the driver.)

PainBreak

Post by PainBreak » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:30 am

techtype wrote:
Vista wrote:( like when you plug USB in to a non-nlited/rvmed. windows XP it auto installs the driver.)
I didn't use Nlite, I did it manually. It's just a way to try to point people in the right direction as far as what the problem is, as it's a common thing for Nlite users to experience, from what I've seen on other forums.

techtype

Post by techtype » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:01 pm

PainBreak wrote:I didn't use Nlite, I did it manually. It's just a way to try to point people in the right direction as far as what the problem is, as it's a common thing for Nlite users to experience, from what I've seen on other forums.

Fair enough, but you are mixing in other modding methods. Those of us who use pure RyanVM packs (or carefully tested alternative packs from here) and nothing else do not have this problem.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:10 pm

PainBreak wrote:Now, I'll explain to you the "not logged in as administrator" problem. If you're logged in as administrator, this whole issue is pretty much a moot point. It's annoying that it pops up, but you hit continue a couple of times and not only does your device work properly, but all is well in the world. Unfortunately, we have a lot of students and teachers that do not have administrative rights, wanting to utilize USB devices that, by all rights, they should be able to plug in and use. When not logged in as an administrator on a normal XP machine, these devices install without any prompts. In this case, however, Windows wants to run the "Holy crap, you've plugged in a USB device, and it blew my F-ing mind" wizard. This wizard requires administrative rights to run, period, so it prompts for an administrative username and password. Of course they don't have one, so their device will never work.
I don't know if this will help or not but here goes: At my main job, I use RIS to deploy workstations at HQ and a DVD to deploy laptops in police cars. Either installation method, this has always worked for me. Particularly for the laptops, there is a fair amount of USB hardware not natively supported and then some that is natively supported, but in either case the problem you illustrate in the above quote would present itself under "normal" circumstances. I plug in a 5 port self-powered USB hub into the laptop before starting the unattended DVD install. In the hub I plug in two different brands of GPS receiver, a Microsoft USB optical mouse, a proprietary barcode scanner (to make writing tickets easier lol), and a SanDisk Cruzer USB thumbdrive.

The mouse and the thumbdrive are supported by XP's builtin drivers, the others are supported by a custom USB driver pack I helped work on (MSFN is down now so I can't link to it but it's in a sticky thread called Unsupported 3rd party Driver Packs).

Now I can't "prove" this, as I'm nowhere near expert enough, but once XP installs a given device on a USB port, the device is "installed" in a security sense of the word, even though it needs to be installed again if someone were to plug it into a different USB port on the computer. A note about the mouse. Since it's a Microsoft mouse, you can use pretty much any Microsoft mouse at all. Just get it installed so that it's in the machine and any old MS mouse should install just fine since they use the same driver.

Regarding the thumbdrive. The first thumbdrives we purchased were the SanDisks, thus we standardized on them and exlusively purchase them. This makes things way easier. Every now and then some knucklehead comes in with noname cheapo he got at Walmart and it won't work unless I install it for him, but the basic advice is to standardize on one brand if at all possible.

Now when it's all said and done, the MDT will have installed pretty much any authorized device that we use. For the record, I install RVM Update Pack and my own update pack using the RVM Integrator, then nLite, and finally.. while I use the BTS Driver Packs (Method 2), I do not use the BTS slipstreamer. I don't need the mass storage support and I have my own ways of dealing with the Intel Chipset drivers. No XPize. I'm not entirely convinced yet that there aren't weird anomalies associated with that. Plus you don't really need all that eye candy at work anyway. The reason I use nLite is that I like to remove, as opposed to disable, some services (telenet server, messenger, etc.). I also remove Windows Media Player and let Media Player Classic handle those chored. It's nice to be able to wipe things out completely rather than disable them.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:21 pm

I still would love to figure out a way to reproduce this issue so we can at least figure out for sure what's going on. I don't like saying "Works for me", but I really don't know what else to say in situations like these.

Clearly, nLite or BtS' driver packs are doing something which causes Windows to think that the updated USB drivers included in the Update Pack aren't digitally signed, even though their respective security catalogs are included and registered during XP install (at least on an Integrator-only CD). If someone has a lot of spare time on their hands and wants to attempt a lot of trial and error, be my guest. It would certainly benefit everybody if a concrete reason for this issue could be nailed down.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:27 pm

Well the "way" in which I'm using the driver packs is really not much more than what Microsoft prescribes themselves. The difference would be that I'm using the hacked setup.exe file in order to decompress the drivers from DVD - although with DVD this is actually not necessary at all and something for me to think about. But the big difference with my install as opposed to vanilla is the use of WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe. I've been using it for so long I suppose I take it for granted now, but this may be something that alleviates the new hardware wizard appearing during the GUI setup for me.

The other part of my previous post, may indeed be just what the dr. ordered though. From what I understand restricted users are not permitted to install hardware, including hot removeable hardware. But, if the hardware is installed during the GUI portion of setup, it is effectively "registered" with the OS. This way a restricted user plugs in say, a thumbdrive, and it's not installed but rather XP says "oh, you're back again."

EDIT: This hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge yet in this thread, but are we all setting the DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore in WINNT.SIF?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:40 pm

I do in my unattended installs

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:43 pm

I use the same method as RougeSpear to install mine, but all I do to get them initialized is leave them plugged in while the O/S is installing and all is well...
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

techtype

Post by techtype » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:13 pm

PainBreak wrote: Unfortunately, we have a lot of students and teachers that do not have administrative rights, wanting to utilize USB devices that, by all rights, they should be able to plug in and use. When not logged in as an administrator on a normal XP machine, these devices install without any prompts. In this case, however, Windows wants to run the "Holy crap, you've plugged in a USB device, and it blew my F-ing mind" wizard. This wizard requires administrative rights to run, period, so it prompts for an administrative username and password. Of course they don't have one, so their device will never work.
@DisabledTrucker and RogueSpear

Your advice does not apply to his problem, as I see it. They will be plugging in a random assortment of devices, perhaps to varying ports, that normally do not need special drivers.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:18 pm

Perhaps my skull is thicker than usual lately, so could you elaborate on that? My take on the problem (short version): NON administrative users are unable to complete the new hardware wizard and install a new device on a computer. What I was hoping to accomplish with what I wrote is to eliminate that popup from happening with hardware that could easily be preinstalled.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't restricted users prevented from installing new hardware devices by design? In other words, it's not an "error" type of situation.

EDIT: I know the original intent of the thread was eliminating the wizard for admin users. For the life of me I can't figure why that happens. But the thread then took a turn towards admin vs. non admin and what to do to get around that problem.
Last edited by RogueSpear on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:20 pm

roguespear is right if your not an admin you cant install hardware, i dont care if windows has your driver or you have a simple flashdisk, before sp1 this was possible but after sp1 no longer. if you want usb device have an admin present, fortunately after the first install of the device, all subsequent installs require no admin present seeing as how drivers are already installed and no new hardware will popup.

PainBreak

Post by PainBreak » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:26 pm

RogueSpear wrote:From what I understand restricted users are not permitted to install hardware, including hot removeable hardware. But, if the hardware is installed during the GUI portion of setup, it is effectively "registered" with the OS. This way a restricted user plugs in say, a thumbdrive, and it's not installed but rather XP says "oh, you're back again."

EDIT: This hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge yet in this thread, but are we all setting the DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore in WINNT.SIF?
That would make sense, but that's not the way XP does it. I can't very well explain it, because I don't know all of the devices XP already has preinstalled drivers that are "ready to go" when you plug them into a USB port. I do know that it's most HIDs, most USB Drive Keys (partially dependent on how they install, whether it's a removable drive or a logical drive, but not fully dependent on it) most USB digital cameras (Olympus, Canon, etc) usb cdrom drives, and I'm sure, many other things that I haven't tested.

As far as it being registered with the OS by being installed during the GUI portion of the setup, it's not the case in this particular instance. If I go to a computer that has the jacked-up USB problem (which, I guess is the official term for it...) and unplug the keyboard, then plug it back in, even to the same port, it'll want me to run through the "Oh my god, new hardware? That can't be!" wizard again.

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore was set in my WINNT.SIF.

Here's how I set everything up in the first place. I slipstreamed SP2 into XP. Then, I follwed the instructions regarding the Update Packs. Next, I integrated the BTS driver packs using Method 2 and have it integrate the drivers once setup is complete. Afterwards, I set up the WINNT.SIF according to the instructions on msfn.org to automate the install process, and make a fully unattended XP cd. Once this was complete, I installed this on a test machine, and made sure that everything (besides plugging in a bunch of USB drives, obviously) worked correctly. Then, I set up my default user profile, sysprepped the machine, and created a ghost image. Now that it's complete, I have a ghost image that works on damned near every machine I load it on, finding all of the drivers for all of the hardware I support during the GUI portion of the setup that runs after ghosting the box.

I hope this helps in diagnosis of what went wrong during the install process so that we can steer people in the right direction in the future.

PainBreak

Post by PainBreak » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:34 pm

dgelwin wrote:roguespear is right if your not an admin you cant install hardware, i dont care if windows has your driver or you have a simple flashdisk, before sp1 this was possible but after sp1 no longer. if you want usb device have an admin present, fortunately after the first install of the device, all subsequent installs require no admin present seeing as how drivers are already installed and no new hardware will popup.
Actually, you're wrong. :) Using a fresh install of XP, with SP2, go to Wal Mart and buy a flash drive, then plug it in. It'll just show up as a new drive, no prompts, no interaction, even if you're logged in as a user and not an administrator. Same thing with an Olympus camera. Same thing with most HIDs (mice/keyboards). I know this, because I've got 3000+ people complaining that they can't use these devices, and went "Meh...that's just how it is. Anything USB you have to install drivers for as an administrator, that's just how XP works." Then I tried it on a fresh install of XP/SP2 and lo and behold, it worked the way users thought it should have in the first place, and I had to buck up and admit that my image screwed up that functionality.

As far as it being an admin vs non-admin issue, it's not. It never has been. The issue is, they shouldn't need admin rights at all for what they're doing, because on a fresh install of XP with SP2, it doesn't require it. The only time XP ever required interaction with installing these drives, admin or non-admin, was after I'd installed the update packs and the BTS driver packs.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:37 pm

Ok here is the major difference between the two of us: sysprep. I long ago gave up on sysprep and Ghost because every now and then I would have random issues cropping up on me. I know that the main purpose of sysprep is to strip out the SIDS so that your ghosted machine will appear unique. The problem I have is that I have never been able to find a definitive resource that details EVERYTHING that sysprep does. So I can't say for sure, I'm not sure anyone except a Microsoft person could say for sure.. but perhaps something is being stripped out or otherwise altered in such a way to create some of this grief. I know everyone is sick and tired of hearing theories and hypothosis but that's my take on it. And sysprep, from what I can tell, is the only major difference. This is also why I have not utilized RIPrep with RIS, because I think it does the same SID stripping thing.

If it's possible for you to test out a clean install (OS + RVM + BTS), perhaps we'd be closer to pinpointing the problem. May not get anything rock solid, but at this point who knows..

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:41 pm

PainBreak wrote:As far as it being an admin vs non-admin issue, it's not. It never has been. The issue is, they shouldn't need admin rights at all for what they're doing, because on a fresh install of XP with SP2, it doesn't require it. The only time XP ever required interaction with installing these drives, admin or non-admin, was after I'd installed the update packs and the BTS driver packs.
My brain is seriously starting to fry now. All of the testing you have done.. is it all using domain members or a mix of domain / workgroup? Some security settings are different when a workstation is a domain member and the other problem could be group policy settings the machine is applying.

PainBreak

Post by PainBreak » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:41 pm

RogueSpear wrote:Ok here is the major difference between the two of us: sysprep.
I seriously doubt that ghosting would cause the issue, and the closest thing I have to a clean initial setup to test with is the ghost image of the box before I sysprepped it. It does the same thing before sysprep, so that rules sysprep out. It doesn't rule Ghost out, I guess, because there's no way I can go back to the state before it was ghosted...but I couldn't imagine that being the case since it's a bit-for-bit copy. Are you having BTS integrate the drivers with XP after the first reboot?
Last edited by PainBreak on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:41 pm

I can personally attest to the fact that you don't have to be an admin to plug in a USB flash drive on an SP2 computer. I do it on campus all the time, and I highly doubt IRT went around manually plugging in flash drives into the many thousands of computers on their domain :)

PainBreak

Post by PainBreak » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:43 pm

RogueSpear wrote:My brain is seriously starting to fry now. All of the testing you have done.. is it all using domain members or a mix of domain / workgroup? Some security settings are different when a workstation is a domain member and the other problem could be group policy settings the machine is applying.
It's all domain members.

techtype

Post by techtype » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:43 pm

@ RogueSpear
You are never going to get anywhere if you keep working from an incorrect premise. PainBreak is trying to explain to you that a non-admin user can install a flash drive, etc just fine (if it's virgin) because the New Hardware Wizard does not pop-up. I just did it it to verify that I'm not crazy!!

Edit: Fresh install of Pure RyanVM Windows, which had never seen the drive before and "Limited" user!!

Edit2: I see Ryan and others were typing at the same time and I'm a few posts late, oh well!

By the way, as PainBreak refers to, this is a classic symptom of using nLite. As to Bashrat's packs, I have seen many weird things reported by those users, but I've never used them for anything except searchable drivers.
Last edited by techtype on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:00 pm

i say you require admin previlidges to install, because at my university, not sure what setup they have never asked, every time a new user is created, one of the techs must come in because, even office has to be runned the first time as an admin or it doesnt work, and all flash drives have to be autorized by admin, dont know if thats how the university has it, but i remember before sp2 came out it wasnt like that in the labs.