RyanVM Update Pack 2.0.2a - Released January 17, 2006

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:27 pm

With 2.0.2 out the door, my next step is to get the website moved back over to ryanvm.net. Along with that, I'm going to look into setting up a BT server of my own (I've been linked up to a PHP/MySQL-based one which is apparently OK to run with Dreamhost), as the current one has been just a bit less than reliable ;).

Sorry, but I'm standing by the no mirrors policy for now. I know many of you disagree with it, but my past experiences have shown me that it's the only way to make sure that people are getting the most recent, reliable version. Sad as it is, I still get emails from time to time from people who've downloaded my now ancient RAID/SATA pack from God only knows where and want my help with something or another. Once you let things start to proliferate, it spreads out of your control and then quality control goes away right with it.

I'll try and get the site moving done as promptly as possible to minimize the annoyances I know many of you have had with the MSFN servers.

EDIT: That being said, I'm still going to be using .htaccess on my servers to minimize leeching. So no funny business :P
Last edited by RyanVM on Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Cheers
Ryan

MC
The Man from Aus

voxspace

Post by voxspace » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:58 pm

Cool. I think you can add a couple (2) banners too. If picked right, so they interest the public here and do not annoy, it would be no problem to find the money.

Its playing with fire, but if choosen properly... why not?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:10 pm

Well, I did sign up with Google AdSense way back in the day, but never got around to actually putting the ads on the site (it was right around the time that MSFN starting hosting my work).
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:11 pm

I don't see why he doesn't use Adsence anyways, it could help his finacial situation with these great packs... Speaking of which I wish I had something to send this time too... :(
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

voxspace

Post by voxspace » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:31 pm

Where is the small "donate" button?
Hm, Ads and donations could allow to accelerate the project..
new host, prizes for best packs, etc.

The only question is if you want to go this way. It would higher a lot the energy flow here. I mean your time spent on the project as well as M$s attention, as they might not be ok with their msupdate site loosing popularity drastically.

So this is trully a hard and smart choice.

Or maybe you can continue to improve the output (development) as well as not preventing some input for you ($s).

Balancing tactics problem.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:36 pm

The "Donate" button is on the homepage http://RyanVM.MSFN.org

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:48 pm

Nobody is ever going to make a living off of the projects that we do in this community. Ryan, nuhi, BTS, Siginet, Paul, Kel, Mhz, hell even me. I can only speak for myself, but I don't think enough money could ever come in from donations and ads to justify spending even more time on this stuff when time is already so short to begin with. Donations and ad revenue may help with hosting expenses and may give you a little extra pocket change, but when you start to add up all the hours invested in these projects it has to work out to like a nickle an hour.

People do what they do mostly because of the sense of accomplishment it gives them. For me I made AutoRIS because I really needed it. I made my own update pack because I needed it. Same goes for the switchless silent installers. Before I knew it all those things grew into projects that go well beyond what I need, but I continue their development so that maybe they'll help out others.

Acheron

Post by Acheron » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:49 pm

I think the project needs more documentation. It's very difficult to translate the pack right now.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:59 pm

voxspace wrote:Where is the small "donate" button?
Hm, Ads and donations could allow to accelerate the project..
new host, prizes for best packs, etc.
I've received donations for quite awhile now. They've always been used in ways that would directly benefit the community which sent them to me in the first place (directly though paying for my hosting and indirectly by helping to fund computer upgrades which make my work easier).

Regarding hosting, I've been quite happy with Dreamhost since I switched to them nearly a year ago (I actually have to renew the hosting agreement at the end of the month). They've been reliable and their service has always been good.
The only question is if you want to go this way. It would higher a lot the energy flow here. I mean your time spent on the project as well as M$s attention, as they might not be ok with their msupdate site loosing popularity drastically.
:lol:, I highly doubt the relatively small number of people downloading my pack is going to make any noticeable impact on the traffic to MS' servers.
Or maybe you can continue to improve the output (development) as well as not preventing some input for you ($s).
Here's the thing, I am first and foremost a full time student (for the next year anyway) and a husband (and a cat owner...damn attention whore that she is :P). My MSFN-related work is a hobby to me, not a job or a profession. If you were to add up all the donations I've received since I first started accepting them and compared that to the number of hours I've spent on this project, you'd find that I'm making at most pennies an hour. Which is fine by me seeing as how I do this for the enjoyment of doing it (though I'll admit sometimes it feels more like a job). As long as the whole project is self-sufficient (donations keep the site alive), I'm happy. Anything on top of that is gravy (and much appreciated).

Another issue that comes up with making things more "professional" is that with the exchange of money, there's generally an implied sense of warranty as well. Quite frankly, I don't have the time or the resources to provide professional-quality support. That's what the forums are for. Donations make it clear that money being sent is being sent freewill with nothing expected in return.
RogueSpear wrote:<snip>
What he said :P
hp38guser wrote:I think the project needs more documentation. It's very difficult to translate the pack right now.
I agree, but as I've said before, I have barely the time to do all of this right now as it as. I have requested help in the past in creating a translation guide, but nobody has taken me up on it.
Last edited by RyanVM on Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:05 pm

No wonder you have computer problems, you need to keep that static collector away from your computers Ryan, you'll find they last a while longer...

maska

Post by maska » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:11 pm

Did you silently update the pack, Ryan?

I've downloaded a package with a different MD5 a few hours ago.

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 pm

ViVa wrote:ViVa*
Apologies....I was rushing to leave on a service call and mis-typed, again thanks for the help... :D

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:14 pm

maska wrote:Did you silently update the pack, Ryan?

I've downloaded a package with a different MD5 a few hours ago.
ooo, someone finally caught me :P. Yeah, I did this morning. Xable pointed out some typos in RVMUpPck.inf that I quickly fixed (as always, they don't affect functionality, just aesthetics). Really no need to redownload, but you can if it makes you feel better about things.

maska

Post by maska » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:20 pm

I was thinking I've got a corrupt package, because my download manager log says the connection with the server was lost a couple of times.

I'm happy I got you. :D

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:22 pm

RyanVM wrote:There's nothing wrong with being detail driven :)
No complaints here. :D

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:24 pm

maska wrote:I was thinking I've got a corrupt package, because my download manager log says the connection with the server was lost a couple of times.

I'm happy I got you. :D
I was joking with Xable about how long it would take somebody to notice.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:31 pm

See I told you, you needed that sleep this morning... ;)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:32 pm

DisabledTrucker wrote:See I told you, you needed that sleep this morning... ;)
Yeah yeah.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:35 pm

What time this morning did you update it?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:36 pm

DisabledTrucker wrote:What time this morning did you update it?
Around 8 when I had to leave to catch the train.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Ahh that would explain why everyone was having those problems with downloading about that time... ;)

a06

Post by a06 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:35 pm

errr...

I don't see a MD5 for 2.0.2 on the main page - could you please post it?

Thanks!

dragonfixed

Re: RyanVM Update Pack 2.0.2 - Released January 17, 2006

Post by dragonfixed » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:50 pm

can you list all of the updated kbxxx files that are updated in the new pack based off the 2.0.1 version. what i want to do it only add to my allready nlited windows what kbxxx file were updated in the new pack.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:02 pm

@a06, that's because both the integrator and the update pack are behind that link, so there are 2 hashes. If you click on the 2.0.2 link and scroll down you will find them.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:37 pm

a06 wrote:errr...

I don't see a MD5 for 2.0.2 on the main page - could you please post it?

Thanks!
Dude, the MD5 hash for the update pack has never been on the front page. It's only ever been on updatepack.html.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:41 pm

a06

:mrgreen:

Acheron

Post by Acheron » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:56 pm

I experience some problems while loading the Windows Setup. Display of drivers loading and press F2 / F6 is skipped since integrating:

KB902845 - Computer stops responding during text-mode Setup when you try to install Windows XP

Can anybody confirm this issue?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:01 pm

It's nowhere in the changelog, looks like it's been in the pack since 2.0.1?

avneet25

Post by avneet25 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:07 pm

thx for the update.. so does this pack cove all the updates....meaing do we need to install the update packs by boogy..

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:29 pm

This pack covers all the post-SP2 updates, no need for other update packs.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:19 pm

hp38guser wrote:I experience some problems while loading the Windows Setup. Display of drivers loading and press F2 / F6 is skipped since integrating:

KB902845 - Computer stops responding during text-mode Setup when you try to install Windows XP

Can anybody confirm this issue?
I see both options in VirtualPC when textmode setup first starts.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:30 pm

Ryan, when DID you introduce KB902845?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:31 pm

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:33 pm

Version 2.0.2a has been released. It is recommended that those of you who previously downloaded 2.0.2 update to this version. Below is an addon CAB to upgrade 2.0.2 to 2.0.2a

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/files/RVMAddons202to202a.cab (527KB)
MD5: 7d9f6eeabf4e875485b7c8556f53fa36

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:46 pm

Ok so this has nothing to do with the earlier discussion of 7-Zip reporting problems right? For me both 2.0.2 and 2.0.2a matched up on MD5 while also failing the test with 7-Zip and passing the test with WinRAR.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that it's different files involved.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:52 pm

Yeah, this is unrelated to the 7zip errors. Still not sure what the deal is with that since the CAB works fine with every program but 7zip.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:02 pm

Take the file es.dl_ as an example. That one of the files that 7-Zip reports as being broken in the Update Pack .cab file. Yet, if you run a 7-Zip Test Archive on es.dl_ itself, it reports there are no errors.

I just took a peek at the bug tracking page for 7-Zip. While I didn't immediately see this exact problem, it appears that other people are reporting issues with 7-Zip's archive testing routine. There was a report made yesterday that seems almost identical. For now I would advise everyone to not use 7-Zip for archive integrity testing.

EDIT: I posted a follow-up with the bug report for 7-Zip.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:16 pm

I noticed it too when doubleclicking on entries.ini in 2.0.2 cab.

cyberloner

Post by cyberloner » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:44 am

is it the problem with the language?
i test the 2.0.2 and it dun install the asian language as it is told in winnt.sif

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=10,9

tedhbrown

Post by tedhbrown » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:46 am

Is it 100% required that I update to 2.0.2a? I just burned 8 disks, for four different versions of windows, for use at work. I'd hate to have wasted all those because it took quite awhile to integrate and burn all of them. I tested my disks in vmware and they all seemed to be running fine... However, these will be installed on customers computers and I don't want corrupted files to be installed on them. What should I do?

EDIT: And, if it is advisable to make new disks, can I atleast just run the update cab over my already made disks? At least then all I would have to do is run the update and burn the disks.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:53 am

It's advisable to update. Yes, you can integrate the addon CAB without re-integrating the entire pack. Just run the integrator and select only that addon cab.

Sorry about the wasted discs.

tedhbrown

Post by tedhbrown » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:56 am

Well thanks for the quick reply. I'm running the update now.

Also, you've saved me lots of time at work, so 8 disks is no big deal :D

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:35 am

What exactly is added in this 2.02a update? Or am I showing my ignorance and it's posted somewhere?

5eraph
Site Admin

Changes from v2.0.2 to v2.0.2a

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:53 am

RyanVM wrote:Xable pointed out some typos in RVMUpPck.inf that I quickly fixed (as always, they don't affect functionality, just aesthetics).
Ryan replaces RVMUpPck.in_. In addition, these corrupted files are overwritten by uncorrupted ones:
  • msxml4.dl_
  • wshcon.dl_
  • wuau.ad_

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:31 am

Ahh okay thanks, but the the aesthetics were fixed in the 8am update.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:37 am

Correct, but I'm guessing that it's included in the 2.0.2a addon for those that got v2.0.2 of the Update Pack before 8am Tuesday, like myself, and chose not to redownload the whole thing afterward for the aesthetic fix.
Last edited by 5eraph on Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:33 am, edited 6 times in total.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:46 am

Well yeah they would be in 2.0.2a if they were in 2.0.2 8am release as well most likely.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:50 am

RyanVM wrote:With 2.0.2 out the door, my next step is to get the website moved back over to ryanvm.net. Along with that, I'm going to look into setting up a BT server of my own (I've been linked up to a PHP/MySQL-based one which is apparently OK to run with Dreamhost), as the current one has been just a bit less than reliable ;).

Sorry, but I'm standing by the no mirrors policy for now. I know many of you disagree with it, but my past experiences have shown me that it's the only way to make sure that people are getting the most recent, reliable version. Sad as it is, I still get emails from time to time from people who've downloaded my now ancient RAID/SATA pack from God only knows where and want my help with something or another. Once you let things start to proliferate, it spreads out of your control and then quality control goes away right with it.

I'll try and get the site moving done as promptly as possible to minimize the annoyances I know many of you have had with the MSFN servers.

EDIT: That being said, I'm still going to be using .htaccess on my servers to minimize leeching. So no funny business :P
I have quite a bit of experience with setting up BitTorrent trackers (plus php/SQL knowledge). If you need any help, just let me know. :)

cyberloner

Post by cyberloner » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:51 am

yup the 2.0.2a version is fixed well.... i am using the cat files without removing it and it won't slow down the installation too =)

language asian is installed properly as it should be...

Thanks for fast update Ryan..

Truely appreciated! Cheers