[Resolved] CD charset issues cause XP install to fail

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
EvilMF

[Resolved] CD charset issues cause XP install to fail

Post by EvilMF » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:56 am

Hi!

I am a newbie here, and non-native english speaker also, so please be patient :)

I have WinXP Pro Corporate Edition install CD with SP2 integrated.
After buying a larger HDD I've decided to reinstall Windows and discovered this site with perfect Update Pack. I've downloaded Update Pack 2.0.2a and RVM Integrator 1.0.5, and integrated update pack into install CD (precisely following instructions). Integrator notified me that everything was completed successfully, so I burned updated WinXP on boot CD and started installation. However I was disappointed, since I got an error during this process (more precisely, during file copy phase from CD to HDD) - the file can't be copied or something like this. I got this error for two files - cyclad_z.inf and cyclom_y.inf. After I chose to skip these files, installation process continued successfully, all the other files were copied OK. But I decided to abort installation, since these files could be critical for Windows stability.

First I thought that there was a problem with CD readability, but when I restarted PC and tried to read these two files, they were read OK. I even compared these files from original XP SP2 CD with files from CD with update pack integrated, and they were identical (fc /b). Then I started installation from original CD, and everything was OK. But I still want to have Windows with latest hotfixes integrated, and I don't understand what is the source of the problem.

Could some of you guys help me please?
I'm really lazy and don't want to install hotfixes manually :)

BTW, is there some way to install RVM Update Pack to already installed fresh Windows? Or it is only supposed to be integrated into install CD?

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:12 am

Okay firstly you say that english isn't your native language, are you using an english version of XP?

Second no there isn't a way to install this on a a "live" system it's only meant for integration into an installation disk. Have you looked to see if there was one in your language? Did you use it?
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

EvilMF

Post by EvilMF » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:28 am

I'm using english version.
So the problem is not here.
But thanks for the fast reaction :)

Sereby

Post by Sereby » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:58 am

these two files arent necessary for xp install! it works without them too! i had this problems a few years ago too a few months!

i read in a forum that its a problem of your burned image!
use nlite to create the image (.iso) and burn this image then it should work great :)

EvilMF

Post by EvilMF » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:26 am

But what these files are intended for?
It could be not crucial for you, but crucial for me (if I'm using some application that depends on these files, and you never use it for example...)

And what is the problem with image?
I used Nero Burning ROM for burning, and selected Boot CD as a project.
After that I added all the files from WinXP directory (and boot sector of course).
It is the same way I used for installing pure XP, XP SP1, and XP SP2; up to ten times from 2001.
I integrated SP1 and SP2 by myself, and it always was fine.
The problem only appeared after integrating RVM update pack.

BTW, what is the reason for using nLite just for creating ISO image?
There are a lot of other programs to do this (ISOBuster, UltraISO etc).

EvilMF

Post by EvilMF » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:21 am

Sereby, could you point me to the topic you mentioned please?
About the problem of burned image.
I haven't found anything regarding this problem.

Even if these two missing files aren't important, I just don't feel comfortable when some errors during installation occurs. I'm a kind of perfectionist :)

EvilMF

Post by EvilMF » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:05 am

I forgot to say that I integrated not only Update pack itself, but also two additional packs - RVMAddonsTCPIP_1.0.cab and RVMAddonsUXTheme_1.0.cab. But as far as I understand these packs contain only hacked versions of Tcpip.sys and UXTheme.dll, so there is nothing to conflict with that mysterious files cyclad_z.inf and cyclom_y.inf :)

Would anyone help me please?
Or am I too annoying? :)

amirali_esh

Post by amirali_esh » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:56 am

The files you mentioned are actually cyclad-z.inf and cyclom-y.inf. Your burning software somehow replaced minus sign with underscore and that is why your are getting errors in installation. Best way to burn the CD is to use CDImage GUI to create an image and then burn that image using Nero or whatever burning software you use.

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:16 am

You can get that CDImage GUI/CDImage_PRO/_HOME from MSFN.org...
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

EvilMF

Post by EvilMF » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:45 am

amirali_esh

Your answer looks reasonable. Thanks a lot!
It's strange - there are 3 more files with '-' symbol in name in I386 directory (named like SV-262E1.PN_), but they don't cause such errors. Probably these files just not involved in typical setup process.

I'll try your solution today. Thanks again.

Noxious Ninja

Post by Noxious Ninja » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:50 pm

I remember this problem from way back when I first slipstreamed SP1 into an XP CD. IIRC, had something to do with the character set I chose when burning it. Are you using DOS or ASCII as the character set?

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:28 am

cute kitty, problem is te mode your creating the iso its called win3.5 compatibility mode, check the options in your burning software or image creation software, take of that option and yu should be fine, what it does is similar to the joliet compatiblity option only sometimes it causes problems because some systems boards detects the 3.5 compatibility mode as the default and therefor detects the names with certain symbols such as - as a _, hope this info helps
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

EvilMF

Post by EvilMF » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:16 am

Thanks to all you guys!
I've used CDImage GUI for creating ISO image and then burned it with Nero and everything was OK.
I suppose the problem was in incorrect character set. I set ISO Level 1, Mode 1, but I'm not sure about character set, maybe I set it to DOS or ANSI instead of ISO. I was in hurry :)
Or maybe it's some kind of bug in Nero (I used version 6.6.0.8).

It looks like my question was an offtopic here, since it has no relation to Update pack :)
But it was nice to see competent people here.
Thanks for help.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Hey, we all learned something from this that'll help to know next time someone comes around asking :)

Anyway, I'm closing the thread since the issue is resolved.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357