sp2.cab is missing

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
coreytk

sp2.cab is missing

Post by coreytk » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:13 pm

Hi everyone,
First I would like to say thanks to Ryan for such a great update pack I have one problem after I intergrate the pack over a freshly mad xp sp2 slip stream when I go to install windows xp sp2 I get an error that says can't copy sp2.cab and upon looking at the cd it has been removedd. But it was there before I intergrated the update pack this is using the full update pack version 1.20 Thanks so much Corey.

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:43 am

Did you double click the _cabupdate.exe file? If you did, then did you happen to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS where this was explained?
Run the exe. It will extract driver.cab (and sp2.cab if it exists), replace the files inside with the updated files, then rebuild driver.cab. The whole process will take 10-20 minutes to complete. Once the program is finished running, it is safe to delete.
The part with Windows trying to copy the file out was supposed to have been fixed by the _cabupdate.exe, basically, in your DOSNET.inf (or TXTSETUP.SIF I'm not sure which), there is an entry relating to SP2.CAB, you can modify it.

You may have done what I did :oops: and copied your old files and replaced the new ones.

And if this message came off mean, I'm sorry, its not meant to. :D

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:48 am

I'm pretty sure I know the cause of this issue. Corey and I are discussing this via email and if we can figure it out, I'll post a fix on my site. For what it's worth, I'm pretty certain it's tied to CDs which had SP2 slipstreamed over SP1.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

buletov

Post by buletov » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:40 am

maybe multipe sp2 realtion entries in someof the files?
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:37 pm

realtion?

maska

Post by maska » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:42 pm

relation? :)

w00tinator

Post by w00tinator » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:14 pm

have you already come up with a slolution, because i have this problem too.

after skipping the file to continue the installation i get the framedyn.dll error, when windows starts for the first time.

i did the manual install, i read the FAQ, i edited the necessary files (DOSNET.inf, txtsetup.sif), i also ran __integrate.exe but i still have this error.

neithian

Post by neithian » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:26 pm

i use an xp gold cd... one of those original devils own ones. i ususally just slipstream like normal and then apply the latest update pack. sp2.cab was removed after integration also but i believe that is because it melds sp2.cab into driver.cab? am i right or am i wrong?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:30 pm

sp2.cab is merged into driver.cab. The necessary entries in txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf related to sp2.cab are removed. Bottom line is that if people are having this problem, the integration did not complete successfully and something went wrong along the way.

So no, I haven't "come up with a solution", because I have no clue why it's not finishing successfully for an extremely small number of people.

tbone2

Post by tbone2 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:30 pm

I also get the same error during text part of install...can not find sp2.cab..... no ntlite used ....did use wmp10 script from msfn

edit: i do find sp2.cab = 100,,,,,,_x,39,0,0 and DriverCabName=driver.cab,sp2.cab
sp2.cab = 16
in the txtsetup.sif file

and d1,sp2.cab
in the dosnet.inf

was these to be removed by the pack?

edit 2
redid update pack with clean source and checked dosnet, txtsetup.sif files for a sp2.cab entries ( none) this is with no other mod to the xpcd.

Seems good so far....will burn cd and install without unattented to make sure no problems on my end :)

edit 3
you know RayanVM you should fix this pack....so I can be right for once...
install went fine ....this tells me once again RyanVM is right it was on my end....DAMN YOU ;)

buletov

Post by buletov » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:00 am

buletov wrote:maybe multipe sp2 relation entries in someof the files?
as i said, probably multiple references to the same sp2.cab file,
__integrate.exe should check twice for all files...or something
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

w00tinator

Post by w00tinator » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:33 am

i re-checked dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif for references to sp2.cab but i couldnt find any. however i found refrerences to sp2.cat but i dont know if this is normal or not.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:15 pm

That's normal and perfectly fine.

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:59 am

I too have had this problem just recently and I didn't use an SP1 version of XP Pro to slipstream it with, I was using the original gold version (era 2k1) of the disk when I slipstreamed it. Apparently somewhere it's still looking for this even in your latest release (1.2.1).

Steps I took was:

1. XCOPY D:\*.* C:\VRMPFPP_EN\*.* /E /I /V (Gets everything from the cd to the working folder, I use the name of the disk for my working folder makes it easier later.)

2. D:\SP2.exe /integrate:C:\VRMPFPP_EN\ (I have the SP2 cd which I use to just integrate to my working disk, this works just fine as I have tested it many a time and have a backup CD with just this on it which I have used many a time so far to recover my system to working order to find fixes for my UXPCD such as the fix I am looking for now for this error.)

3. Using 7Zip, I unzipped the 1.2.1 cab file into i386, (which works flawlessly,) then I ran the _integrate.exe file.

4. Added in my $OEM$ folder and my modified Winnt.sif.

5. Used CDImage_Pro to make it a ISO file then used DVDDecrypter to burn it to DVD, as mine is over 3GB in size when I finish adding all drivers and a few files to it, not to mention wallpapers, themes, and other tweaks that I deem necessary.

6. Leaving DVD in drive, reboot computer, change bios to boot from atapi drive first, then reboot again into DVD, all goes well until copying where I get the dreaded SP2.exe cannot be copied if you are copying files from a CD then put that cd in now....bla bla bla.....

After looking over this thread again, I rechecked my files and in TXTSETUP.SIF, I found three (3) instances of SP.cab in it, I believe that this could be my error, I removed them from it and will try it again and report back if this worked or not.

Hope this helps in your quest to figuring out what is causing this error. Thanks.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:19 am

I think what's going on is that for some reason, __integrate.exe is ending prematurely, causing things to not finish properly. I'd be more curious as to what folders you've got inside i386. Is there one called rvmtemp in there?

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sun May 01, 2005 12:57 am

no not now there isn't a rvmtemp file in there, but I have redone my txtsetup.sif file and reinstalled and most everything went smoothly. There wasn't when I posted the other day either, I have never seen that file in my i386 folder but I don't have it open when I run that file, I run it from the run box, or command window which ever I have opened.

Now if I can get the dumb Winnt.sif file working right....For some reason it wont do everything I ask of it. For example I can't get the time zone settings to stick, I have to manually change them each time I install....But that's what it come down to was those entries still in the txtsetup.sif file, which I manually went back and removed.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Sun May 01, 2005 2:34 am

this is what I used...

Code: Select all

[GuiUnattended]
OEMSkipRegional = 1
TimeZone = "035"
hope it helps!
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 pm

orcoxp wrote:this is what I used...

Code: Select all

[GuiUnattended]
OEMSkipRegional = 1
TimeZone = "035"
hope it helps!
That's what I used too but for some reason it wont take no matter what. That's the least of my worries now, now that I got past the problem with the SP2.cab file, I have a problem with the sfc_os.dll file not wanting to take. Yes, I used the one from this site, I have also used my old backups, and several others from MSFN.org. Has something changed in SP2 that is causing this? I am applying the tweak in the "hivesft" file, and it's still not working. Keeps saying it's not a valid version and wont let winblows copy it. Maybe I should move this post to another thread....

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon May 02, 2005 8:39 pm

OK, I just updated sfc_os.dll on my site. See if the new one takes care of it for you.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Mon May 02, 2005 9:47 pm

Thanks will try it now and report back as soon as I get done.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:56 pm

Oh, and I forgot to post back, :lol: sorry about that, the SFC_OS did work, but the stupid WinNT.sif wouldn't take the codes posted above at all no matter what I did.. :(

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Jesus, so you bumped a nearly one year old thread instead? :rolleyes:

:lock: