Sorry, allowed order is still not clear.

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
mitsubishi

Sorry, allowed order is still not clear.

Post by mitsubishi » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:17 pm

This says after n-lite: viewtopic.php?t=1128

The main instructions say the update pack goes first, not the addons.
MSFN is down still, but thier guides arn't that clear either.

I thought the order was
1) Update pack with Integrator, with or with addons.

2) Use n-lite "hotfix/update" or Integrator interchangable, all at once or one at time (ie can be used again and again without breaking everything)

3) Everything in N-lite from "Drivers" to "tweaks", thinking that once you have performed one stage you cannot go back.

4) BTS driver packs integration if wanted.

5) n-lite make iso, this doesn't touch the source tree and doesn't matter how the source was made.
Have I got all that right or is it wrong. There seems to be several types of addon also, does this make a difference.

Thanks, its the conflicting data that's confusing me, probably be so obvious once I've learnt what all these install stages are about.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:42 pm

UpdatePack should be integrated before.
Addons should probably be integrated before as well.
I would also think BTS Drivers should be before nlite...
But I am no expert at using nlite.

What I would do if I were you is I would do everything before nlite. Test your iso... then use Nlite and test your iso. If you remove something that is needed by any of the addons or DPs.. then you will have issues. That goes for anything... so be very selective as to what you remove.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

mitsubishi

Post by mitsubishi » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:29 pm

From what I gather, nLite replaces some files rather than rewriting them, which is why it needs to go before somethings, BTS packs being one of them:
Bâshrat wrote:WARNING: To all nLite users: you have to apply the DriverPacks AFTER nLite, because nLite edits the txtsetup.sif file too and the entries added would be gone! That way you won't have to re-apply nLite every time: the included batch files will make a back-up of your txtsetup.sif file made by nLite! So every time you change you rebuild your UWXPCD share with nLite, you will have to re-apply my DriverPacks...
So if the order is only constrained by 2 things:

1) A step altering a previous one
2) Some methods/programmes screwing up earlier stuff because of the way they do things.

1 should be intuative. 2 seems to be mostly nLite busting things that it could probably not break if it wanted, but other methods also have these caveats. (eg BTS wipes OEM folder)

If there are no other constraints then thats good, actually I don't see why they would be, but not knowing the process yet there could be something wierd happening ;)
Siginet wrote:What I would do if I were you is I would do everything before nlite. Test your iso... then use Nlite and test your iso. If you remove something that is needed by any of the addons or DPs.. then you will have issues. That goes for anything... so be very selective as to what you remove.
Well yeah I'll just tool around for now with a bit of T&E. Its not so much nLite removal features that are bothering me but the installion procedure itself. I need to read MSFNs guides again, IE sucks at working offline, doesn't store half the pages.

Thanks, Adam.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:52 pm

I posted a detailed order in the *UNSUPPORTED* 3rd party 32-bit DriverPacks sticky on Bâshrat's forum in response to a problem someone was having.
5eraph wrote:1. Copy all files from fresh, unaltered source.
2. Slipstream Service Pack 2
3. Integrate RyanVM Update Pack + RVM addons
4. nLite to heart's content :)
5. Slipstream Bâshrat + Unsupported DriverPacks
6. Add your extra apps, batch, & regtweaks to $OEM$
7. Create ISO and burn.

mitsubishi

Post by mitsubishi » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:51 pm

Thanks 5eraph, that's more or less the order I thought.

MSFN is still down, I found googles cache of the first two pages, but no third.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:55 pm

The key thing to remember is that all nLite tweaking and component removal must occur after RyanVM's Update Pack and before slipstreaming the DriverPacks.

GasPipeJimmy
Banned

Post by GasPipeJimmy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:39 pm

Doesn't this overwrite the WINNT.SIF file when BTS driverpack creates a new one in i386?
What do you do?
Can you just add/edit the unattended answer file info back into the new (BTS created) WINNT.SIF file after the driver pack is done doing it's thing?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:59 pm

It's been a while since I've used the DPs, but they used to edit your existing WINNT.SIF, not overwrite it. The important settings should still be there. Only the necessary changes should have been made for the DPs to work.

GasPipeJimmy
Banned

Post by GasPipeJimmy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:17 pm

5eraph wrote:It's been a while since I've used the DPs, but they used to edit your existing WINNT.SIF, not overwrite it. The important settings should still be there. Only the necessary changes should have been made for the DPs to work.
I thought that was the case too, but as of the 7.01.2 BTS Base relese it just overwrites whatever Winnt.sif file you have there.
Darn!

I was hoping I was overlooking something simple.
Oh well. :P

EDIT: OK, I guess SOME of it is copied over the UNATTEND.TXT file in i386.
Some (like timezone and the KeyCode), but not all that was in the Winnt.sif file.
Hummm...

I'll try some more manual editing.

EDIT #2: Bashrat says that is not possible.
Back to the drawing board.