Latest update pack breaks Spybot and Ad-Aware?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
IsLNdbOi

Latest update pack breaks Spybot and Ad-Aware?

Post by IsLNdbOi » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:46 pm

Dunno if this has anything to do with NLite or adding RyanVM's latest update pack, but I didn't experience either of these problems in my last Windows install (Windows XP Pro. SP2 without any NLite / RyanVM modifications).

Now, I have a clean install of WindowsXP Pro. SP2. (NLite modifications + RyanVM's laest update pack). I have Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE Pro. v1.05 and Spybot Search And Destroy v1.3.

With Ad-Aware, when I click on custom scanning options then click on "Select drives & folders to scan" it hangs there and I have to kill it through the task manager.

With Spybot, at the first run, I click on the search for updates button, download all the available updates. Spybot then closes after the updates and restarts. Later on, when I try to check for updates again, Spybot will hang. I also have to close it through the task manager. BUT after I start it up again, all the settings are reset to when I first opened it after installing it.

When I check for updates, I do not have anything else running that would cause any network activity. Has anyone here ever experienced these problems with either program? Did you ever find fixes? Thanks.

There's another person having this problem:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43244
Last edited by IsLNdbOi on Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:54 pm

I've run into the same issue with Spybot on a system without my update pack on it, so I don't think that's the problem (at least, not directly). It could be an MS hotfix causing the issue, but that's beyond me to figure out.

I see the same issue with Ad-Aware too. No idea.

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:14 am

Well the thing is, this same system, before installing WindowsXP Pro. SP2 with the latest update pack from your site + the NLite tweaks, I had my normal WindowsXP Pro. SP2 installed on it (no update pack or NLite tweaks) and I had all the latest updates from Windows update site. Didn't have either problems with Spybot or Ad-Aware. So I'm guessing it's either your latest update pack or NLite. I guess it's something with NLite. When you experienced these problems, was it with a Windows modified by NLite? Did it have your update pack added in it?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:15 am

I don't use nLite.
RyanVM wrote:I've run into the same issue with Spybot on a system without my update pack on it

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:16 pm

So it must be one of the updates in you update pack. Hmmm... I wonder what could be causing these problems. I've installed my regular WindowsXP Pro. SP2, downloaded all the available updates from Windows Update and I'm not having these problems now.

buletov

Post by buletov » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:25 pm

Well, put it in this way: if you use Firefox, you don't need AdAware and Spybot...
(tested on a three months period)

:mrgreen:
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:01 pm

buletov wrote:Well, put it in this way: if you use Firefox, you don't need AdAware and Spybot...
(tested on a three months period)

:mrgreen:
I would use FireFox if I could COMPLETELY remove IE without breaking anything else. I hate having multiple softwares that do the same thing (more than one browser, more than one media player, etc.).

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:35 pm

You shouldn't remove IE, no matter what. Just for the simple reason that Windows Update REQUIRES IE (and Office Update webpage too).

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:04 pm

ViVa wrote:You shouldn't remove IE, no matter what. Just for the simple reason that Windows Update REQUIRES IE (and Office Update webpage too).
I know. That's why I'm not using FireFox... I have to keep IE and I HATE having more than one program that does the same thing.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:14 pm

That's a pretty lame reason IMO
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

buletov

Post by buletov » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:28 pm

RyanVM wrote:That's a pretty lame reason IMO
Mare than completely lame; IsLNdbOi, simply delete related shortcuts for IE and think of it as it's not there; Does computer serve you, or you serve the computer? Use the best you can, but don't cripple your OS. I mean, if I have two pair of shoes, I won't just throw away the older ones, but put them in some closet... i'ts not like you'r gonna gain disk space or something by removing IE...

maska

Post by maska » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:41 pm

Use Microsoft Antispyware.

It is better than Spybot or Ad-Aware. ;) :D

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:38 pm

maska wrote:Use Microsoft Antispyware.

It is better than Spybot or Ad-Aware. ;) :D
In fact, http://www.hitmanpro.nl/ is the best of them all, since it combines all the good stuff.

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:25 pm

You guys are entitled to your opinions. I have this little obsession with having multiple programs that do the same thing. Plus Almost every program out there has support for Internet Explorer. Many of the custom server apps. and intra-network apps. that the company I work for uses aren't supported by FireFox so I still use IE. Plus if you're really more than just an average PC user, you won't have a problem keeping your PC free of spyware and viruses.

Oh and buletov, read this:

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000562.html

Experienced some of that already on my brother's PC running Firefox.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:35 am

And it's Mozilla's fault that Java is easily exploited why? Hell, the MS JVM is one of the most exploited ways for deploying spyware out there. Ever heard of CWS?

evilvoice

Post by evilvoice » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:38 am

is there a english version of hitman pro?

TJHart85

Funny

Post by TJHart85 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:42 pm

As an unsuspecting user, I’m not really sure what a “security certificate” is. The dialog box is different, but I just installed another program with a complicated dialog box and it seemed safe enough, so I guess it’s probably OK to install this one too.
The writer states RIGHT there, that FireFox warned them about the problem. Maybe Firefox didn't give enough information, but Firefox did warn them that this might not be safe. I'm sorry, complaining about this is like going to Vegas, blowing all your money and complaining that the games are rigged.

And anyways, you usually don't even get that much of a warning with IE. With IE I can go to a single web site and get 20 spyware programs. I goto the same site with Firefox and don't get any.

Just my 2 cents.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:16 am

evilvoice wrote:is there a english version of hitman pro?
Not yet.

Just my 42 cents.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:28 pm

I'm going to see if I can figure out this afternoon what's causing the problems for these two programs. From my perspective, it's an issue which should be dealt with.

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:59 pm

Cool. Thanks Ryan! ;)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:12 pm

Problem's caused by the updated win32k.sys from KB887589 in 1.2.0 and KB815304 in 1.2.1. I'm removing the file from 1.2.1 for now and have emailed the developors of both Spybot and Ad-Aware to see if the issue can be troubleshooted. Users upgrading from 1.2.0 will have the existing win32k.sys replaced with the original sp2 copy of it.

ronliang

Post by ronliang » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:34 pm

RyanVM wrote:Problem's caused by the updated win32k.sys from KB887589 in 1.2.0 and KB815304 in 1.2.1. I'm removing the file from 1.2.1 for now and have emailed the developors of both Spybot and Ad-Aware to see if the issue can be troubleshooted. Users upgrading from 1.2.0 will have the existing win32k.sys replaced with the original sp2 copy of it.
removing win32k.sys from 1.2.1? will then offer the new win32k.sys seperately, just like hacked tcpip.sys?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:52 pm

Well, I won't be creating the registry entries either. I'm going to play it by ear at this point and see what comes of talking with the developers.

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:55 pm

Wow. How long did it take you to find the conflicts and how did you find them?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:01 pm

First I confirmed that the issue didn't exist with 1.0.5 (it didn't). Then I just went through the hotfixes added in 1.2.0 and narrowed it down to 10 or so possible culprits, and thankfully one of them was the right one :P. Only took an hour or so.

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:09 pm

Hehe nice. ;)

buletov

Post by buletov » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:36 am

this will probably result with a newer version of adaware and spybot...

if they ever read an e-mail... :/

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:00 pm

Hey Ryan, so will you be removing the culprit updates from the current update pack? Or will they be removed in the next update pack?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:36 pm

Well, given that I've said numerous times on this board that the next release is coming tomorrow or Wednesday, you do the math. Not to mention:
RyanVM wrote:I'm removing the file from 1.2.1
EDIT: Oh, and:
RyanVM wrote:Users upgrading from 1.2.0 will have the existing win32k.sys replaced with the original sp2 copy of it.

IsLNdbOi

Post by IsLNdbOi » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:23 am

RyanVM wrote:Problem's caused by the updated win32k.sys from KB887589 in 1.2.0 and KB815304 in 1.2.1. I'm removing the file from 1.2.1 for now and have emailed the developors of both Spybot and Ad-Aware to see if the issue can be troubleshooted. Users upgrading from 1.2.0 will have the existing win32k.sys replaced with the original sp2 copy of it.
I see KB890859 replaced KB887589 in the newest update pack. Have you checked if the replacement update affects Spybot or AdAware? Also, what replaced KB815304?

ronliang

Post by ronliang » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:46 am

IsLNdbOi wrote:
I see KB890859 replaced KB887589 in the newest update pack. Have you checked if the replacement update affects Spybot or AdAware? Also, what replaced KB815304?
everything is ok now.