Our wishlist for Update Pack :-)

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Post Reply
User avatar
maska
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:17 am

Our wishlist for Update Pack :-)

Post by maska » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:37 am

Well, after reading the new posts I thought it would be useful to create a topic which to include our wishlist for your excellent update pack. Here's mine:

1. Process Explorer - it's really very useful IMHO.
2. TaskSwitchXP (http://taskswitchxp.sourceforge.net/) - an Alt+Tab replacement, another cool one.

DeTard
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:13 pm

Post by DeTard » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:36 am

Ok, I partially agree with your post... Here's why:

Process Explorer - It is a very functional application that adds to Windows in a way that it makes things better. It helps in finding trojans (sort by company name), searches handles, dlls, gives detailed performance graphs, and has so much more than Task Manager could ever have. I use the "Replace Task Manager" option and have it start minimized on logon so I have the little meter on my systray. Very good app, gives new (and sometimes very needed diagnostic) functionality.

TaskSwitchXP - Cool looking app, but very resource hungry depending on what application you are Alt+Tab'ing to. It doesn't really provide anything in the way of a diagnostic need, and it might be a real problem for some people because of it spiking the CPU every tap of the Tab key. Personally, now that you told me about it, I will probably use it and I'll see if I can integrate it into MY unattended install DVD, but as an update pack, I don't see it as a good addition.

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:08 am

I've been toying with the idea of adding Process Explorer, actually. And I'm inclined to agree with DeTard on TaskSwitchXP. If anything, I'd probably go with the MS Powertoy.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

User avatar
RogueSpear
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:50 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:42 pm

I repacked TaskSwitchXP into an MSI file if anyone is interested.

User avatar
codejunkie
Moderator
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:42 am
Location: UK, Cumbria, Nr. Kendal
Contact:

KB885884 - Office XP on Windows XP SP2 Mechine

Post by codejunkie » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:01 am

I'd like to see the WindowsXP-KB885884-x86-enu.exe update included

I know its for Office10 but thats Office10 on WinXP-SP2 Only

And its not the only product that is affected by the MSO.DLL

I would list them but Im tired its nearly 5am and I want to get some sleep

I know its in Visual Studio 2003, its been driving me up the wall trying to find the reason why I was getting and update for OfficeXP(10) when I don't use it, infact I hate it, OfficeXP SUX:!: 2003 is nuch better but can't be ased with the activation

You know you want to RyanVM :mrgreen:

User avatar
maska
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:17 am

Post by maska » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:34 am

Two more for now:

1. TweakUI - another very useful tool.
2. Notepad2 - can you replace original Notepad with this one? Site: http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html It's really better than Notepad and the package is small (244 KB).

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: KB885884 - Office XP on Windows XP SP2 Mechine

Post by RyanVM » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:38 am

codejunkie wrote:I'd like to see the WindowsXP-KB885884-x86-enu.exe update included

I know its for Office10 but thats Office10 on WinXP-SP2 Only

And its not the only product that is affected by the MSO.DLL

I would list them but Im tired its nearly 5am and I want to get some sleep

I know its in Visual Studio 2003, its been driving me up the wall trying to find the reason why I was getting and update for OfficeXP(10) when I don't use it, infact I hate it, OfficeXP SUX:!: 2003 is nuch better but can't be ased with the activation

You know you want to RyanVM :mrgreen:
The update is for Office10 on WindowsXP SP2. It is not for XP SP2. mso.dll is not a Windows file. It is not on the XP CD. I won't include it because it's not replacing anything on the CD.

Your best bet in my opinion would be to slipstream the updated file directly into your Office install source.

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:41 am

maska wrote:Two more for now:

1. TweakUI - another very useful tool.
I personally install this from the MSI during my unattended install currently. I'll think about it, but I'm not too keen on it.
2. Notepad2 - can you replace original Notepad with this one? Site: http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html It's really better than Notepad and the package is small (244 KB).
Nah, current Notepad is fine, and I use Editpad Lite as my notepad replacement.

DeTard
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:13 pm

Post by DeTard » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:19 pm

Have a couple application suggestions, mostly for diagnosis use.

First I would like to see TCPView added. When someone has a trojan, it is very easy to overlook an application in Task Manager if it is something you expect to see. One such example is the file "realplay.exe". Although I hate Real, I've worked on people's computers and ignored it because I figured it was there from an installation of Real Player. Finally found out, after using TCPView, that it was using a tremendous amount of RPC traffic, something abnormal even for a computer on a 2000 domain. There's not a whole lot a trojan can do to hide itself since very few trojans are written to hide themselves from anything but built-in Windows software (like Task Manager).

Second is Process Explorer (Ryan, I knew you saw this one coming from the previous line ;)), for the reason above. Trojans can't hide themselves from an application that shows processes without being written explicitly for that application. And since you can sort by the company name from the file headers, and choose to only show those that are properly signed by the company, it's pretty easy to see the culprits.

Third application is actually NOT a Sysinternals application LOL! WNTIPCFG.EXE is a powertoy from M$ that is exactly like the old WinIPCfg.exe application that everyone used to find their IP address in a friendly GUI interface. Since most people know this app by the old name, a suggestion for this would be either to use JUST the WinIPCfg.exe name, or make a second copy with this name.

That's it for now!

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:43 pm

good suggestions, I'll keep them in mind
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

User avatar
RogueSpear
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:50 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:17 pm

Something that I do for a lot of client installs, whether it be unattended CD or RIS.. I compile the latest registry entries from both Spybot and Spywareblaster into one big reg file and import it in from my cmdlines script.

Even though both products are free, the licensing on them prohibits you from installing them throughout an enterprise. So I figure this is the next best thing. You get immediate innoculation from a whole mess of things right from the beginning.

The reg file compresses pretty decent too. Everything is contained within three different branches of HKLM. Lemme know what you think.

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:37 pm

Very interesting idea
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

User avatar
codejunkie
Moderator
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:42 am
Location: UK, Cumbria, Nr. Kendal
Contact:

Re: KB885884 - Office XP on Windows XP SP2 Mechine

Post by codejunkie » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:52 pm

RyanVM wrote:
codejunkie wrote:I'd like to see the WindowsXP-KB885884-x86-enu.exe update included

I know its for Office10 but thats Office10 on WinXP-SP2 Only

And its not the only product that is affected by the MSO.DLL

I would list them but Im tired its nearly 5am and I want to get some sleep

I know its in Visual Studio 2003, its been driving me up the wall trying to find the reason why I was getting and update for OfficeXP(10) when I don't use it, infact I hate it, OfficeXP SUX:!: 2003 is nuch better but can't be ased with the activation

You know you want to RyanVM :mrgreen:
The update is for Office10 on WindowsXP SP2. It is not for XP SP2. mso.dll is not a Windows file. It is not on the XP CD. I won't include it because it's not replacing anything on the CD.

Your best bet in my opinion would be to slipstream the updated file directly into your Office install source.
Well what about the XML files u got from the Office 2003 disk? whats the diffrence there? and i bet most businesses use Office anyway!

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: KB885884 - Office XP on Windows XP SP2 Mechine

Post by RyanVM » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:12 pm

codejunkie wrote:
RyanVM wrote:
codejunkie wrote:I'd like to see the WindowsXP-KB885884-x86-enu.exe update included

I know its for Office10 but thats Office10 on WinXP-SP2 Only

And its not the only product that is affected by the MSO.DLL

I would list them but Im tired its nearly 5am and I want to get some sleep

I know its in Visual Studio 2003, its been driving me up the wall trying to find the reason why I was getting and update for OfficeXP(10) when I don't use it, infact I hate it, OfficeXP SUX:!: 2003 is nuch better but can't be ased with the activation

You know you want to RyanVM :mrgreen:
The update is for Office10 on WindowsXP SP2. It is not for XP SP2. mso.dll is not a Windows file. It is not on the XP CD. I won't include it because it's not replacing anything on the CD.

Your best bet in my opinion would be to slipstream the updated file directly into your Office install source.
Well what about the XML files u got from the Office 2003 disk? whats the diffrence there? and i bet most businesses use Office anyway!
1.) MSXML has uses for all people, is easily installed for the system, and doesn't require any other programs to be installed in order to be useful.
2.) I'm not going to start integrating files that have no use outside of one program, or more specifically in this case, one version of one program. Should I integrate the WMI update for Norton products next? mso.dll is not a Windows system file.
3.) Like I said before, if you want to integrate the update, integrate it into your OfficeXP install source where it belongs.

This is the last response I'll be giving on the matter.

DeTard
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:13 pm

Re: KB885884 - Office XP on Windows XP SP2 Mechine

Post by DeTard » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:34 pm

codejunkie wrote:
RyanVM wrote:
codejunkie wrote:I'd like to see the WindowsXP-KB885884-x86-enu.exe update included

I know its for Office10 but thats Office10 on WinXP-SP2 Only

And its not the only product that is affected by the MSO.DLL

I would list them but Im tired its nearly 5am and I want to get some sleep

I know its in Visual Studio 2003, its been driving me up the wall trying to find the reason why I was getting and update for OfficeXP(10) when I don't use it, infact I hate it, OfficeXP SUX:!: 2003 is nuch better but can't be ased with the activation

You know you want to RyanVM :mrgreen:
The update is for Office10 on WindowsXP SP2. It is not for XP SP2. mso.dll is not a Windows file. It is not on the XP CD. I won't include it because it's not replacing anything on the CD.

Your best bet in my opinion would be to slipstream the updated file directly into your Office install source.
Well what about the XML files u got from the Office 2003 disk? whats the diffrence there? and i bet most businesses use Office anyway!
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to fully support Ryan on this one. If you want updates for Office 2003, fix your installation source. There are whole topics on how exactly to integrate updates into Office of most any version at MSFN, so take a look over there. This is simply a WinXP SP2 update pack, with a handful of niceties along with it. As far as the XML, that is not an Office update, and if you run HFNetChk on Windows without those updates, they will show as updates that are needed. It is a core update to how Windows handles XML, version 3, 4, and 5. Please, consider your argument closed. If you would like some help updating Office, send me a PM, and either I'll help you directly or point you in the right direction.

User avatar
sdageforde
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:59 pm
Location: Florida

Post by sdageforde » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:21 pm

I also like the idea of having the SysInternals diagnostic tools avilable as part of the pack, along with the idea of WNTIPCFG, and the registry entries for protecting IE.

These could be very helpful when talking your mother-in-law through why her computer is dog slow on the phone. Other than her having dial-up and only one phoneline.

Tzeb

Post by Tzeb » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:03 am

I have removed both wholockme and copy to/move to context menus but i have an ideea for a great cd context menu :D
A year ago i had in the context menu of the cd/dvd rom "close" under "eject" but i don't remember what program added that. Does anyone know where to get a dll that does that?

Lucius Snow
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:01 am
Location: France

Post by Lucius Snow » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:41 am

I have no wish in particular. However, seeing all the new extra stuff coming for the next versions, i'd like you keep the lite version with the hotfixes *only* .. just as you do now ;)

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:19 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:I have no wish in particular. However, seeing all the new extra stuff coming for the next versions, i'd like you keep the lite version with the hotfixes *only* .. just as you do now ;)
Good thing you asked me, otherwise I would have changed it :rolleyes:

Lucius Snow
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:01 am
Location: France

Post by Lucius Snow » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:08 pm

RyanVM wrote:
Lucius Snow wrote:I have no wish in particular. However, seeing all the new extra stuff coming for the next versions, i'd like you keep the lite version with the hotfixes *only* .. just as you do now ;)
Good thing you asked me, otherwise I would have changed it :rolleyes:
Yeah because it's much easier to translate the packs from the lite version. Things would go too complicated with new various updates / tweaks.

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:41 pm

I was being sarcastic. To add more to the Lite pack would run contrary to the entire point of having it in the first place.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Lucius Snow
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:01 am
Location: France

Post by Lucius Snow » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:12 am

Ahh right ;)

Well, another wish (still about the translated pack) would be to discover what "The following files are not valid in the system catalog" really means with Qfecheck. We're not still 100% sure that the hotfixes are properly installed.

nfm
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:31 pm

Post by nfm » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:26 pm

How about adding a Image Resizer PowerToy. MSI weights 312kb. It is really a handy tool. I know that you can simply install this with appropriate switch but it would be nice to see this tool included. LINK http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx

EDIT: Actually dll is 21.0 kb
Last edited by nfm on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR, 510-2Mod BIOS
146 Opteron at 3.21Ghz, 1.568v WC, 3.5Ghz on DIce
G.SKILL PC3200 BH-5 DDR540+ 2-2-2-0 twtr=1, 3.68v
OCZ 520W 3.3v at 3.81 5.0v at 5.11v 12v at 12.61v

User avatar
keytotime
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:44 pm

Post by keytotime » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:44 pm

Yah it is usefull. It makes a dll in system32 called phototoys.dll. All you have to do is regsrv it.

User avatar
maska
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:17 am

Post by maska » Wed May 04, 2005 5:37 am

Ryan, how about this one to replace WhoLockMe? It's a great freeware tool... :)

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Wed May 04, 2005 6:24 am

maska wrote:Ryan, how about this one to replace WhoLockMe? It's a great freeware tool... :)
Perfect! I'm going to play with it for a few days to make sure there's no adverse side effects, but I like what I'm seeing!

User avatar
maska
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:17 am

Post by maska » Wed May 04, 2005 6:30 am

Yes, I like it very much too.

I see only to files are needed: Unlocker.exe and UnlockerDriver4.sys. Are you going to put them in System32?

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Wed May 04, 2005 11:38 am

Probably
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Thu May 05, 2005 6:29 am

The author gave me permission to add it. It's in :)
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

neil

Post by neil » Thu May 05, 2005 10:46 am

I think i may have proposed this previously in another thread, but here goes:

Since the Lite pack is exclusively Hotfixes only, Why have a larger pack with everything in it? Why not just have a small pack with the extras currently in the Full pack (and proposed here) and do away with the Full pack.

This would require less work since the extras you include are pretty much just copied to the system32 folder or replace certain files and is updated far less than the hotfixes part anyway. Then you have a Hotfix pack (updated every month after MS patch day) and an Extras pack with everything else.

The difference between the Lite and Full packs is only 5mb. so instead of a 33mb AND a 38mb pack, it makes sense to have an ever-increasing 33+mb hotfix pack and just a 5mb download that can be extracted and installed automatically from a 7-zip exe or something.

User avatar
buletov
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:30 am

Post by buletov » Thu May 05, 2005 11:52 am

yeah, this sounds nice...

but it would require additional rvm*.inf files...
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

User avatar
RyanVM
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by RyanVM » Thu May 05, 2005 12:49 pm

buletov wrote:yeah, this sounds nice...

but it would require additional rvm*.inf files...
It would make things more difficult, but not impossible. What I'd probably have to do is have a second INF for the extras which is called from sysoc.inf.

User avatar
buletov
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:30 am

Post by buletov » Thu May 05, 2005 3:12 pm

wel, ryan, it's up to you to decide what is easier and less hassle...

for me personally, medium pack is just to lovely!
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

User avatar
maska
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:17 am

Post by maska » Fri May 06, 2005 6:07 am

Unlocker has been updated to version 1.5.1. Even more options now... :D

User avatar
codejunkie
Moderator
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:42 am
Location: UK, Cumbria, Nr. Kendal
Contact:

Post by codejunkie » Sun May 15, 2005 8:30 pm

is there any chance we could have IIS MetaEdit 2.2 Utility included?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q232068/

Post Reply