Reinstalling hotfixes

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
kof94

Reinstalling hotfixes

Post by kof94 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:16 am

I've just ran qfecheck after running a test in VMWare and noticed that one hotfix isn't installing properly from update pack 2.0.5.

KB908536 - Horizontal scroll bar used in forms may not respond to mouse controls or actions when using themes

This may be because of other updates or tweaks I've added (it's quite a modded install) so I'm happy to live with one hotfix not installing properly.

My question is, will windows update pick up on this and reinstall it?

cheers.

EDIT: Just ran a test with just the update pack slipped, no probs. So It must be caused by some thing else!

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:40 pm

Short answer:
Patched UxTheme.dll AddOn or using nLite to patch it.

Long answer:
QFECHECK verifies the checksums on the files in addition to processing hotfix registry entries, so it's detecting the mismatched checksum (because of the patched UxTheme.dll to allow installation of unsigned themes) and saying that the hotfix needs to be reinstalled.

Resolution:
Either:
1. Remove the patched UxTheme.dll and live with Micro$oft-only styles / or buy StyleXP which patches in RAM.
2. Ignore the whining message by QFECHECK and get no issues whatsoever on Windows Update/Micro$oft Update or Automatic Updates, and no WU will not try to reinstall it.

Reference:
http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/faq.html
Last edited by n7Epsilon on Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_guy

Post by the_guy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:41 pm

It's caused because you use a modified version of uxtheme.dll. Without a modified version, it would be fine.

the_guy

kof94

Post by kof94 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:53 pm

Thanks, problem solved.

I'd rather live with it instead of the Luna theme!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:56 pm

Like my FAQ says:
QFECheck reports that KBxxxxxx must be reinstalled.
This problem is generally caused by using a hacked version of a DLL which was updated by that hotfix. There's really nothing that can be done other than to just ignore the message and be aware of why it occurs. It should be noted that such an error will have no impact on the functionality of your system.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357