Where does Windows Automatic Updates store information?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
outsiders71

Where does Windows Automatic Updates store information?

Post by outsiders71 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:10 am

Hello,

I know this isn't exactly an updatepack discussion, but I figured the knowledgeable people here would know the answer to this question.

Where does Windows Automatic Update store its information at? Particually updates you choose to hide? I'm sure there is a place in the registry where it keeps this info, so you don't get asked a million times if you want to download said update.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. With this information I hope to create an addon.

Acheron

Post by Acheron » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:11 am

All information is stored into a database file, inside WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore called DataStore.edb. You can copy this file over during unattended setup.
RyanVM has this file included with his Update Pack so Windows Update is directed to Microsoft Update.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:23 pm

Are you going to create an addon that removes KB905474 and prevents it from being nagged as well? HOHOHO

If I'm right, what do I win?

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:04 pm

dumpydooby wrote:Are you going to create an addon that removes KB905474 and prevents it from being nagged as well? HOHOHO

If I'm right, what do I win?
Oh I hope so, that would be great !

outsiders71

Post by outsiders71 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:58 pm

KB905474 can be removed easily from the RVM update pack. Just delete the entries in the entries.ini and the respective files associated with it.

But you were right I want to remove the nag. Since it is impossible for me to read what the file says, I'm just going to install a fresh copy of XP, then hide the one update and copy the file.

pupil

Post by pupil » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:34 pm

Ryan, if you are reading this thread, is there a possibility you could include this method (or similar) with your v2.1.0 of the update pack, just to add one more thing that we don't have to do after install (I figure that if people are not installing the added WGA update you will be supplying seperate to this pack then they will DEFINITELY not want that update downloading via Automatic Updates afterwards.) If not, is it possible to make this an addon?

Just a thought, thanks for all yours (and everyone else making addons) work btw, really appreciated :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:11 pm

I've said in a few places that I'll be removing WGA from the next pack, but no, I won't be disabling it on MU.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

GhaladReam

Post by GhaladReam » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:30 pm

Officially Removing WGA Tool + Notifications from the Update pack is a good idea... If people really want it, there could be addon packs made that would include it. I'm not saying this because I own a cracked copy of windows, because I don't. I just plain don't like the notifications app there at all.

bluetickle

Cool

Post by bluetickle » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:45 am

Hey Guys,

You know what, I installed Kubuntu for the first time! Actually, the LAMP server first then apt-get kubuntu-desktop.... very nice and clean GUI. Installed FireFox and wow it ran great!

It's interesting that M$'s WGA has set me on another path...

Happy 4th!! FREEDOM!

http://www.ubuntu.com/server