Where's the next version?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
sleepnmojo

Post by sleepnmojo » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:10 pm

RyanVM wrote:I used to do upgrade packs. They were a pain to maintain, however, and they did very little if anything to conserve bandwidth (in fact, I don't think it was uncommon for people to download both the upgrade pack and the full download as well, in effect using more bandwidth than before).
You could try posting just the updated files in the members section. Then people who are more likely to not delete the large packs, can go there, while the majority of users can go off the main site.

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:51 am

He also mentions that they were a pain to maintain, which I would beleive is the main reason he stopped doing them.

GS Bhullar

Post by GS Bhullar » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:57 pm

Mr. Ryan I have downloaded your file 122to 122-bfull and also nlite1.0b4i. I am an ignorant person and dont know what to do next.Is it possible to provide more detailed/ screen shot accompanied instructions starting fron A to Final finished version/update.

Thank U. :? :oops:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:25 pm

First post wrote:NLITE INTEGRATION DIRECTIONS
Integrate 1.2.2 normally via nLite wizard
Extract 1.2.2b RAR to i386 directory before making ISO
Delete __integrate.exe from i386 directory
Create ISO

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:02 am

...nLite...more detailed/ screen shot accompanied instructions starting fron A to Final finished version/update.
I would suggest that you do NOT do an nLite installation. Just do the manual, its easy. Not hard at all, and in my experience, there are normally less problems (at the very least if something doesn't work, you KNOW its your own fault, not nLite's)

I haven't looked at the nLite guide, but the manual installation instructions are simple enough you should be able to get it workin just fine.

Also, have you integrated SP2? SP2 MUST be integrated in order for Ryan's pack to work properly.
If not try visiting http://unattended.msfn.org and try to learn a few things.

And, if you insist on doing the nLite installation, there are lots of people here who have gotten it to work successfully, so the guide can't be too bad.

Well, good luck! :D

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:24 am

TJHart85 wrote:
...nLite...more detailed/ screen shot accompanied instructions starting fron A to Final finished version/update.
I would suggest that you do NOT do an nLite installation. Just do the manual, its easy. Not hard at all, and in my experience, there are normally less problems (at the very least if something doesn't work, you KNOW its your own fault, not nLite's)

I haven't looked at the nLite guide, but the manual installation instructions are simple enough you should be able to get it workin just fine.

Also, have you integrated SP2? SP2 MUST be integrated in order for Ryan's pack to work properly.
If not try visiting http://unattended.msfn.org and try to learn a few things.

And, if you insist on doing the nLite installation, there are lots of people here who have gotten it to work successfully, so the guide can't be too bad.

Well, good luck! :D
I'm sure the manual install works great by itself. But actually I had problems doing the manual install with using nlite to remove components and everything else. Then I tried doing everything with nlite including integrating ryan's pack and it worked flawlessly. Not to mention a heck of a lot faster than the integrate.exe thing.

I think what's best to do is slip sp2 with nlite and then close out nlite.
Then open nlite and only integrate the 1.2.2 hotfix pack.
Then extract 1.2.2b pack to i386 and overwrite all.
Then open up nlite and do everything else and make the ISO.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:44 am

Protagonist. wrote:I'm sure the manual install works great by itself. But actually I had problems doing the manual install with using nlite to remove components and everything else. Then I tried doing everything with nlite including integrating ryan's pack and it worked flawlessly. Not to mention a heck of a lot faster than the integrate.exe thing.

I think what's best to do is slip sp2 with nlite and then close out nlite.
Then open nlite and only integrate the 1.2.2 hotfix pack.
Then extract 1.2.2b pack to i386 and overwrite all.
Then open up nlite and do everything else and make the ISO.
Just open nLite, integrate SP2, integrate 1.2.2 @ the hotfixes section, then just before you click on "Make ISO", you manually extract 1.2.2b to i386, then click on "Make ISO". Done.

GS Bhullar

Post by GS Bhullar » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:10 am

Thank U Gentlemen for UR Kind instructions.
When I say I am ignorant about computer I really mean it. Someone will have to spoonfeed instructions to me step by step.
My assets a. CDwith already integrated SP2 b. Knowledge level NIL
Questions 1. How to integrate with nlite because when integrate page comes on nlite it does not show Ryan's 1.22 thing.
Do I download it again. It's properties show it to be 4.95 weightage/whatever.
2. what do i burn on cd the ISO image or the i386 folder.
Thank U
Major (Army)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:19 am

GS Bhullar wrote:Thank U Gentlemen for UR Kind instructions.
When I say I am ignorant about computer I really mean it. Someone will have to spoonfeed instructions to me step by step.
My assets a. CDwith already integrated SP2 b. Knowledge level NIL
Questions 1. How to integrate with nlite because when integrate page comes on nlite it does not show Ryan's 1.22 thing.
Do I download it again. It's properties show it to be 4.95 weightage/whatever.
2. what do i burn on cd the ISO image or the i386 folder.
Thank U
Major (Army)
1. You have to browse to the file at the hotfix integration page... duh.

2. You burn the ISO image AS an image (e.g. Nero -> Menu Recorder -> Burn Image), that means that the contents of the ISO file will be extracted when written to the CD. This makes the CD bootable, since boot information is also stored in the ISO. If you burn the i386 stuff manually, the CD won't boot.

GS Bhullar

Post by GS Bhullar » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:35 am

I have diagnosed the problem. My download file is not proper, its power is only 4.95 kg but a proper download file has to have strength of 42.9 kg. But I m not being able to download full file. it is stopping at strength of 4.2 to 4.8-9 kg. what to do.

GS Bhullar

Post by GS Bhullar » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:35 am

I have diagnosed the problem. My download file is not proper, its power is only 4.95 kg but a proper download file has to have strength of 42.9 kg. But I m not being able to download full file. it is stopping at strength of 4.2 to 4.8-9 kg. what to do.
Major

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:52 am

Whow you posted twice? Not a very good connection?

Turn off any firewall / anti-virus / download managers / refererblocker applications. And try again.

May I also suggest a better dictionary? :lol:

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:20 pm

GS Bhullar wrote:I have diagnosed the problem. My download file is not proper, its power is only 4.95 kg but a proper download file has to have strength of 42.9 kg. But I m not being able to download full file. it is stopping at strength of 4.2 to 4.8-9 kg. what to do.
Major
There are actually two files you need to be downloading.

The first one is found here:
http://ryanvm.msfn.org/updatepack.html

Down at the bottom where it says "full downloads" choose one of those. I recommend the full one. Then you download another file which is at the first post in this thread, the 1.2.2b pack full. The pack you are integrating is the 1.2.2 pack which is about 42.9MB large. After you integrate that you only extract the 1.2.2b pack to the 1386 folder and overwrite all. 8)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:28 pm

buletov

Post by buletov » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:47 pm

For download troubles, avoid crappy shareware download tools and trust a free one which actually resolves your troubles. BTW, there are several reports on broken downloads form Ryan's site lately...
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

GS Bhullar

Post by GS Bhullar » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:17 pm

My permission to download from your site has been blocked. I am going to erase my fixed/hard drive and load xp again because that always solves problems.
In the meantime I am going to buy myself an Oxford dictionary.
See U in a couple of hours.

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:04 am

GS Bhullar wrote:My permission to download from your site has been blocked. I am going to erase my fixed/hard drive and load xp again because that always solves problems.
That really isn't the best solution for everything.

pomocnik

Post by pomocnik » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:12 am

hi guys i have problem. i use nlite to integrate ryanpack and before integrating it gives me this:

Error!
H-Could not find file "F:\xpsp2prac\rvmtmp\SVCPACK.IN_". Please report this error if it´s unexpected. Write your message in English. Export and attach a preset of settings causing this issue if possible.

and at the end is button ok. can you help me where is problem? it occur on xpsp1 after integrating sp2. then i try tu integrate ryanpack 1.2.2. full.

after click on ok prcessing continues but when i try to install final iso it gives me a lot of errors
than you for your answre

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:33 am

Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

fluid

Post by fluid » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:38 am

Ryan what's the md5 checksum for the 1.2.2b full and full-nowmp files?

DJB

Post by DJB » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:59 am

Thanks Ryan for all the hard work you've done with these update packs. I've been using them for quite some time now and really appreciate the ease of being able to slipstream them straight into my ISO.

Major Respect !! :D

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:25 am

Protagonist. wrote:Apparently Service Pack 3 for Windows XP will contain many of the things that Longhorn will and will be released prior to Longhorn.
It probably can't contain anything huge, since the next wave of upgrades due to be ported back to XP - the Aero UI, the file system and the like - won't be done until Longhorn is done. It seems likely that it will just be IE7 and some security features.

Hollywood

Re: Where's the next version?

Post by Hollywood » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:30 am

RyanVM wrote:Due to some major changes going into the next release (version 1.3.0), it is postponed indefinitely for the time being.
It seems you get pissed off when anyone asks you about releases, and while I understand that it gets annoying with people asking I just want to mention (again) that it would be so great if you posted some sort of ETA?

I know a LOT of people (like me) plan their installations around your releases. It would be cool to have SOME idea, even a rough estimate of days vs. weeks.

Thanks for your consideration.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:59 am

I really don't know. I'm waiting on some stuff from other people at the moment.

Noxious Ninja

Post by Noxious Ninja » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:20 pm

Can I integrate KB898461 with nLite, by integrating 1.2.2 + KB898461, then adding 1.2.2b, or will this mess things up?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:48 pm

It may depend on the version of nLite you're using. I know that with 1.0 beta 4 you cannot because it doesn't handle the archive files properly (svcpack.IN_ specifically, perhaps others). Your best bet I think is to integrate 1.2.2 and 1.2.2b manually, unpack svcpack.IN_ to get svcpack.inf, delete svcpack.IN_ and place svcpack.inf into the I386 directory, _then_ integrate your hotfixes as you normally would.

GS Bhullar

Post by GS Bhullar » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:23 am

Mr Ryan,
Tank U for your great software. Keep up the good work.
Maj

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:39 am

1.3.0 isn't ready to go yet, but I'll probably make a 1.2.3 release when the July fixes are released just to have something updated on my site.

Thruba

Post by Thruba » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:54 am

Meanwhile the links for the 1.2.2b updates don't work ("The document contains no data" in Firefox). Can you fix them please?

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:28 am

Slightly OT, but thought it would be worth mentioning...

I've put ryanvm.net, msfn.org, btsunattended.net, etc.. basically all the places we go to everyday for this kind of topic matter, and put them in my trusted networks zone for both IE and Symantec Client Security. Haven't had a single download problem since. For good measure, open up cookie handling for these sites as well.

If you know how to secure your system to begin with, then opening yourself up to these reputable sites shouldn't be an issue anyway. Just a little sick of seeing all the complaints regarding download problems.

orcoxp

Microsoft Update

Post by orcoxp » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:27 pm

Ryan, have you tried Microsoft Update yet?

I tried it myself...not too sure about it, tho

I added Office 2003 into my latest UA and integrated all the available updates...

However, it seems that MSUpdate sees 5 updates for Office 2003 when I know I added them...even Office Update says all is good!

:?: :?:
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:08 am

I was playing around with the astalavista's Office Tools and Microsoft Update myself a few nights ago.

Not only can MS Update not detect integrated updates, but it also does not agree with Office Update's list from a non updated install. There are the five common updates between after integrating SP1 into Office2003, but also each site lists an extra update that the other does not. I decided to integrate all seven to be on the safe side.

Here's the list of what I installed:
KB842532 - Service Pack 1 for Office 2003
KB873381 - Update for Office 2003 Grammar Checker
KB885828 - Update for Office 2003
KB887979 - Security Update for Word 2003
KB887980 - Update for Office 2003
KB887982 - Update for InfoPath 2003
KB892258 - Update for Office 2003 French Spelling Checker and Thesaurus
KB896999 - Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter

I'd trust Office Update over MS Update. If you're going to update any preinstalled ActiveX controls, Ryan, may I suggest only the one(s) for Window's Update and not MS Update?
:)

Thruba

Post by Thruba » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:29 am

RogueSpear wrote:Slightly OT, but thought it would be worth mentioning...

I've put ryanvm.net, msfn.org, btsunattended.net, etc.. basically all the places we go to everyday for this kind of topic matter, and put them in my trusted networks zone for both IE and Symantec Client Security. Haven't had a single download problem since. For good measure, open up cookie handling for these sites as well.

If you know how to secure your system to begin with, then opening yourself up to these reputable sites shouldn't be an issue anyway. Just a little sick of seeing all the complaints regarding download problems.
So, what you are saying is that it is a matter of wrong configuration and if YOU try to download "1.2.2 to 1.2.2b Full" (first page of this post) this very minute you will succeed? Please do and let us know of what happened...

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 am

Regarding MU: It uses the same files as WU with the exception of one added DLL (muweb.dll). WUv6 is equally accessible with the same files.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:53 pm

Thruba wrote:So, what you are saying is that it is a matter of wrong configuration and if YOU try to download "1.2.2 to 1.2.2b Full" (first page of this post) this very minute you will succeed? Please do and let us know of what happened...
07/07/2005 10:52PM (Eastern Time) No problem downloading 1.2.2 ro 1.2.2b Full.

MrNxDmX

Re: Microsoft Update

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:49 pm

orcoxp wrote:Ryan, have you tried Microsoft Update yet?

I tried it myself...not too sure about it, tho

I added Office 2003 into my latest UA and integrated all the available updates...

However, it seems that MSUpdate sees 5 updates for Office 2003 when I know I added them...even Office Update says all is good!

:?: :?:
Orcoxp, i have same problems as you do.
Open Office Update, there is no update.Open Ms Update, says 5 needed updates...Interesting...I think, it is a problem for MS,anyway...

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:22 am

I actually did the updates and they did not come back...do you have MS Office in the default folder?

This is sorta different than the issue that I found with Windows Media Connect and Windows Messenger...

If Windows Media Connect is install to a folder other than the default it will keep installing but always show up as an additional update in Windows Update or MS Update.

And for Windows Messenger, I have 5.1.0680 installed and it'll ask me if I want to uninstall it first.
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:30 am

Yes my Office is in its default folder.But i have integrated updates in my Office installation.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:52 pm

I think it's because Microsoft Update checks the Windows registry for the updates and not anything in the Office folder itself. So if you integrate the updates then the Windows registry has no record of their installation.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:24 pm

I was a beta tester of WUv6/MU, and I seem to remember hearing about that bug already during the testing phase. So for what it's worth, I'm pretty certain MS is aware of the problem. Whether or not they intend to fix it is an entirely different matter :P

Anderz

Post by Anderz » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:18 am

Aaaaah .. I love the stuff you do man - keep it up Ryan!!

amirali_esh

Post by amirali_esh » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:04 am

Ryan, do you have any plan to integrate WU6 in your next release?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:35 am

amirali_esh wrote:Ryan, do you have any plan to integrate WU6 in your next release?
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168

So my guess would be: no.

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:55 pm

ViVa wrote:
amirali_esh wrote:Ryan, do you have any plan to integrate WU6 in your next release?
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168

So my guess would be: no.
Eh?
Integrate Microsoft Update 6.
Green = Completed

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:37 pm

WU6 != MU

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:52 pm

They're the same thing, except MU includes one extra file. A working MU install will be compatible with WUv6 as well.

NDgamer

Post by NDgamer » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:24 pm

Ok My friend and I made a great copy with n-lite and added all the updates.... Is there an update that can fix this little big with Nvidia chipset video cards. When i watch videos the colors are all screwed up and very bright... I tried everything codecs and everything theres some update here thats doing it... If anyone has a fix thanks! :rolleyes:

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:33 pm

I just rolled back to an earleir driver.

cybpsych

Post by cybpsych » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:51 pm

@NDgamer, I bet i know what's your problem! It just happened to me last Saturday :( I believe this is a bug for v77.72 :D

:: Right-click on your Desktop and select 'Properties'
:: Click 'Settings' tab -> 'Advanced' button -> Geforce video tab (this is created by the driver).
:: Select 'Color Correction' on the sidebar.

Under 'Apply color changes to:" ... if you select to change the 'Overlay' settings, the Gamma is around 3.61 <-- extremely bright!

When playing videos, it's considered overlay and this pesky bug causes the video to have gamma correction > 1.0!

My quick fix to this is to choose 'All' and adjust Brightness/Contrast/Gamma -> 100%/100%/1.00.

This should solve the problem!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:47 pm

:lol:, I got burned by that little "feature" when upgrading to 77.72 as well :P. But yeah, it's entirely unrelated to my pack (and a little Google searching would have told you as much - it's a very well-known bug with the 77.72 drivers).