Where's the next version?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
fabjr

Post by fabjr » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:11 pm

[quote="tbone2"]Go ahead Ryan, enjoy the happiest day a man can have....besides getting a new power tool ;)
as for complaining about no new pack....get a life....If Ryan's wife let him out of the bed room....the man is going to need that time to down some energy drinks.

Congratulations Ryan. :lol: :P
GOD BLESS AMERICA

fabjr

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:52 am

fabjr wrote:
tbone2 wrote:Go ahead Ryan, enjoy the happiest day a man can have....besides getting a new power tool ;)
as for complaining about no new pack....get a life....If Ryan's wife let him out of the bed room....the man is going to need that time to down some energy drinks.

Congratulations Ryan. :lol: :P
Yep ya probbly right, at any rate theres always updates near every week. We surely can't expect the man to produce a pack so frequently.
All the best Ryan theres no reason you shouldn't get married & have a great time we all do at some time.
The Man from Aus

narrative

Post by narrative » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:12 am

I don't mind helping making a add-on pack for the August updates, if you'd tell me how. That would mean that 1.3 will be out before or on Tues the 9th that is.

which is good. very good.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:23 am

I've already got a volunteer who'll I'll be trying to get up to speed.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

narrative

Post by narrative » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:05 am

oh its' ok then.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:36 pm

What I don't understand is where the new GUI leaves nlite? In my my mind the best part of nlie was the service pack, and now if I understand correctly Ryan's new pack will no longer need nlite, so I won't ether. Am I missing anything?

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:54 pm

Hollywood wrote:What I don't understand is where the new GUI leaves nlite? In my my mind the best part of nlie was the service pack, and now if I understand correctly Ryan's new pack will no longer need nlite, so I won't ether. Am I missing anything?
Lol, nLite is good for more than just integrating ryan's pack. I'm sure that all the nLite users won't stop using nLite just because ryanvm has a GUI.

That is just one of the many things I use nLite for.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:01 pm

Protagonist. wrote:That is just one of the many things I use nLite for.
I understand that, but the only reason *I* used it, and I suspect many others, was to integrate the pack. IMHO nLite will see a lot less users until they finish their own pack.

narrative

Post by narrative » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:19 pm

actually i doubt so. nlite is excellent for removing components, as well as creating a winnt.sif through a gui, as well as regtweaks and other stuff.

it's like having everything in one central place. although i do modify my unattended disc after nlite, it makes troubleshooting easier to have everything u did saved in one config file.

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:22 pm

Hollywood wrote:
I understand that, but the only reason *I* used it, and I suspect many others, was to integrate the pack. IMHO nLite will see a lot less users until they finish their own pack.
I beleive nLite will be just fine. I personally don't like the software, for me anyways, the Windows always came out buggy (then again, look at the source :D ), but there are many who use it and they will continue to use it, for them I assume it works beautifully.

nLite had to be ditched, RyanVM couldn't possibly convince Nuhi to add support on this scale, it would be a waste of both their time. This is a better solution, just RyanVM your XP disc, and then load nLite away if you so desire.
This way at least there won't be the typical whining on how nLite integrated their updates.

Its a lot of work, and I'm glad for this at least, RyanVM has help, thanks Siginet, as well as the unknown helper, and as always, thanks RyanVM!
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:10 pm

TJHart85 wrote:
Hollywood wrote:
nLite had to be ditched, RyanVM couldn't possibly convince Nuhi to add support on this scale, it would be a waste of both their time. This is a better solution, just RyanVM your XP disc, and then load nLite away if you so desire.
Umm, nuhi has already added support for ryanvm 1.3.0 pack. :lol:

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:11 pm

Thats right there is certainly much more NLite will do integrating sp2, drivers etc. But I do see Ryans point of adding the GUI as stated theres no reason peoples can go on & Nlite following the integration of Ryans GUI.
Guess were all gonna have to just wait & see...
The Man from Aus

leviathan

Post by leviathan » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:54 pm

For drivers, I personally prefer to use Bashrat the Sneaky's Driverpack. It works very good for the discs I make. If you have heard of it, I like it. If not, http://www.btsunattended.net/Projects/DriverPacks/. Check it out for drivers.

Just my thought for drivers.

--Leviathan
Manual integration is the only right type of integration!

narrative

Post by narrative » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:00 am

TJHart85 wrote: but there are many who use it and they will continue to use it, for them I assume it works beautifully.
aye aye captain. haha.

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:10 am

leviathan wrote:For drivers, I personally prefer to use Bashrat the Sneaky's Driverpack. It works very good for the discs I make. If you have heard of it, I like it. If not, http://www.btsunattended.net/Projects/DriverPacks/. Check it out for drivers.

--Leviathan
Yes thats right, I always integrate Bashys drivers seperately.
I was talkin of my printer driver & other peripheral stuff thats all.
The Man from Aus

leviathan

Post by leviathan » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:38 pm

Mavericks choice wrote:
leviathan wrote:For drivers, I personally prefer to use Bashrat the Sneaky's Driverpack. It works very good for the discs I make. If you have heard of it, I like it. If not, http://www.btsunattended.net/Projects/DriverPacks/. Check it out for drivers.

--Leviathan
Yes thats right, I always integrate Bashys drivers seperately.
I was talkin of my printer driver & other peripheral stuff thats all.
Gotcha. nLite does do a good job for quickly integrating drivers. I, personally, don't use the program. I'm more of a "get your hands dirty" person when it comes to doing these things. But don't get me wrong, nuhi has created a great program and it works good.
Manual integration is the only right type of integration!

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:01 am

Protagonist. wrote: Umm, nuhi has already added support for ryanvm 1.3.0 pack. :lol:
I was actually refering to the idea of modules that will be supported, and can only get more complex in the future. I would assume that support for this will get more complicated as well. I would also assume Nuhi is a busy man and wouldn't want to support all this.

On the other hand, I may be wrong, and if I am and Nuhi wants to support all this, then oh well, I guess I'm wrong. Its not like its the end of the world right?
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:41 am

Actually it would be the end of the world. nLite is so much faster!! :D

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:55 am

RyanVM wrote: EDIT: Of course, with the new addon pack system, maybe someone on the forum will be able to make an August addon pack before I get back :P. In fact, I like that idea. If someone here wants to do it, shoot me a PM and I'll get you the info you need now to make it happen.
I am confused, Did someone allready make an addon pack for the july updates, if not and your planning on waiting untill after the Aug date to release the new version how do we get july in before adding august?

I am easly confused though. :?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:50 am

New version will contain all updates through July. It won't include the stuff released tomorrow (I have no way to add them when I'm in MI). leviathon has agreed to make an August addon pack which can be downloaded and integrated along with the main update pack to get the CD up to date, however, until I return home in two weeks.

If you don't know what the addon packs are, relax. It'll make sense soon enough ;)

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:01 pm

Protagonist. wrote:Umm, nuhi has already added support for ryanvm 1.3.0 pack. :lol:
I thought it wasn't available yet?

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:44 pm

The pack isn't, but nLite already has support for it when it's released. At least that's what I've heard from nuhi.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:46 pm

Protagonist. wrote:The pack isn't, but nLite already has support for it when it's released. At least that's what I've heard from nuhi.
I thought 1.3 was going to be different (and as yet undetermined)? Odd that he'd already be claiming compatability...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:33 pm

Ryan has been working with nuhi on this to try to find a working solution to the ~150 CAT file limit. UpdatePack v1.3.0 should be integratable with nLite upon its release, but I haven't read anything about nLite support for addons.

My understanding is that Ryan has moved much of the extra content from the medium and full versions of his previous Packs to one or more addon packs, including his new integration of Windows Media Player 10.

earthsfate

Post by earthsfate » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:53 pm

how do i apply the patch with windows already installed?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:55 pm

earthsfate wrote:how do i apply the patch with windows already installed?
You must make a clean install with Windows xp cd.It cannot install on windows already installed.
Do a search.

buletov

Post by buletov » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:37 pm

earthsfate wrote:how do i apply the patch with windows already installed?
There is an application called AutoPatcher for that purpose.
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

suren

Post by suren » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:24 pm

RVM please tell us ,why no new pack . it's August now and MS patch are also out

RunBoris

Post by RunBoris » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:33 pm

suren wrote:RVM please tell us ,why no new pack . it's August now and MS patch are also out
You know, suren, you've asked this question before... The answer to this question still has not changed. The update pack is delayed for a couple reasons, clearly posted by RyanVM, and restated by several other people on multiple occassions.

1) GUI developement has slowed due to original developer going AWOL
2) RyanVM is getting married and would much rather get down and dirty with his new bride than to deal with a silly update pack.

Just give Ryan and his team some time. Are you REALLY that desperate to do a clean install that you must have a fully updated winXP CD right this very moment? It isn't that big of a deal. Show some patients and I'm sure the update will be posted soon.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:12 am

I think Ryan will not be in forum acouple of days.I cannot see his posts anywhere.

2forza

Post by 2forza » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:26 am

http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=13969

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (896727) (Critical) (Invalid certificate - Cannot be installed)

Vulnerability in Plug and Play Could Allow Remote Code Execution and Elevation of Privilege (899588) (Critical)

Vulnerability in Print Spooler Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution (896423) (Critical)

Vulnerability in Telephony Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution (893756) (Important)

Vulnerability in Remote Desktop Protocol Could Allow Denial of Service (899591) (Moderate)

Vulnerabilities in Kerberos Could Allow Denial of Service, Information Disclosure, and Spoofing (899587) (Moderate)

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:29 am

@RunBoris, Don't anwer that Troll dude, he is the worst kind of user,dosnt read any replies and makes up stuff as he goes. If I was Ryan one of the delays would be the inclusion of a suren filter.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:25 pm

I'm giving suren a break from his ability to post. I'm sick of it.

RunBoris

Post by RunBoris » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:03 pm

Haha! I guess you were able to sneak away from the family for a little while. Just don't stay hidden away from them the whole time! Enjoy, and congratulations!

canuckerfan

Post by canuckerfan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:50 pm

suren wrote:RVM please tell us ,why no new pack . it's August now and MS patch are also out
dude!! it's on its way. the pack is done, its the gui installer which is very close to finishing. patience is a virtue...

Link

Post by Link » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:02 pm

WHat is the issue with the CAT files with there being too many?? Is it only with setup's ability to process that many?? But when WIndows is already installed, each CAT file is able to be processed just fine when you apply the hotfixes downloaded from MS which installs them after all system files are copied to the HDD?

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:08 am

Maybe the cat limit is deliberately put in by ms to force you to use a service pack.

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:08 pm

:x :x :evil: :evil: :? :? :? :| :| :( :cry: :( :? :x :evil: :evil: :x :? :( :cry:

no update pack yet :cry:

LOL

Link

Post by Link » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:37 pm

UnO wrote:Maybe the cat limit is deliberately put in by ms to force you to use a service pack.
But the CAT limit doesn't apply to installing hotfixes after the OS is already installed?? or does it? Are the same CAT files even copied to the HDD when you apply hotfixes to an existing Windows XP SP2 installation?

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:32 pm

Doh! you are right link, don`t know what i was thinkin. :oops:

Raider

Post by Raider » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:05 pm

I got tired of waiting so I just used nlite to integrate the new (august) hotfixes and have an all up to date CD now.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:05 pm

Protagonist. wrote::x :x :evil: :evil: :? :? :? :| :| :( :cry: :( :? :x :evil: :evil: :x :? :( :cry:

no update pack yet :cry:

LOL
:rolleyes:
Link wrote:
UnO wrote:Maybe the cat limit is deliberately put in by ms to force you to use a service pack.
But the CAT limit doesn't apply to installing hotfixes after the OS is already installed?? or does it? Are the same CAT files even copied to the HDD when you apply hotfixes to an existing Windows XP SP2 installation?
Yes, it occurs after the fact too.
Raider wrote:I got tired of waiting so I just used nlite to integrate the new (august) hotfixes and have an all up to date CD now.
That's what I'd recommend as an interim solution.

maniaq

Post by maniaq » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:11 am

i don't know why are yu so like that, cant wait until next relase, i just don't understand.....my windows is working great with the Ryan's update pack 1.2.2, do yu think that your windows will work better with the newer, well i don't think so, i don't think that the new hotfixes are so important for your windows.....in past when didn't used Ryan's update pack,i didn't felt much any better when i used the update pack, ofcouse it is good to have some of the hotfixes in your windows......but could yu see the big differecne??? well i don't ;)

p.s. sorry my english is not wery good, but should have understanded rhat i tried to say......

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:34 am

Me personally i love Ryan's pack, but also i understand that just like every single one of us he has a life of his own and he is doing this because he wants to, its not like we are paying him to make his pack so i think those who keep complaining if you dont like it well... send Ryan a nice big fat check for $2,000 and a really nice wedding present :D
If your too cheap to do that then plz just wait and give the man a break and let him enjoy his HoneyMoon.
Congrats by the way Ryan hope you enjoy your honeymoon
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:47 pm

dgelwin wrote:If your too cheap to do that then plz just wait and give the man a break and let him enjoy his HoneyMoon.
I don't think anyone is too cheap, and I don't think RyanVM could legally sell Microsoft updates. I think the concern that may of us have is that we're waitnign to re-install one or more computers. I've been waiting for over a month, but don't want to install and then have his new pack come out shortly thereafter and have to do it again. By his own admission RyanVM hasn't met his own release targets.

I've suggested that he put some kind of estimated date for next release front and center on his site (instead of buried in the forums) and keep it updated. it's all ablut managing expectations.

RunBoris

Post by RunBoris » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:13 pm

Perhaps some are waiting to do a clean install, but could you not use the Hotfix exe's from Microsoft to integrate manually (or even use nLite's Hotfix Integration function)? The only difference would be the interface in which the hotfixes were applied. Ryan's pack couldn't possibly be that much different content-wise.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:16 pm

RunBoris wrote:Perhaps some are waiting to do a clean install, but could you not use the Hotfix exe's from Microsoft to integrate manually (or even use nLite's Hotfix Integration function)? The only difference would be the interface in which the hotfixes were applied. Ryan's pack couldn't possibly be that much different content-wise.
How would one determine which fixes needed to be added, then how to do it. Do-able? Probably for some, not for others. I think the point is that we've come to depend on his packs, and rather than re-invent the wheel and do it ourselves just wait for him.

PS I'm sure were you to post instructions on whic fixes were misisng and how to add them that it would be much appreciated.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:31 pm

Hollywood --

An easy way (and the way I did it) -- was to install with RyanVM 1.2.2b; and then hit Windows Update; and see what is missing.

The problem I've run into; is this magic 150 cat limit -- as have most. My image CD takes 40 mins with all the August updates in it. Either a workaround for the 150 cat limit needs to be found; or some older hotfixes need to be dumped.

RunBoris

Post by RunBoris » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:02 pm

Hollywood wrote:How would one determine which fixes needed to be added, then how to do it. Do-able? Probably for some, not for others. I think the point is that we've come to depend on his packs, and rather than re-invent the wheel and do it ourselves just wait for him.

PS I'm sure were you to post instructions on whic fixes were misisng and how to add them that it would be much appreciated.
Well, there is the regularly updated MSFN Hotfix page - http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=31886
There is also the Windows Update Catalog - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/c ... efault.asp
After downloading all the updates from that page for July and August, you can use nLite to integrate them (or manually if you know how). Obviously it would be easier to just wait for the 1.3.0 update pack, but for those who absolutely, positively, 100% must clean-install now, add the July & August hotfixes seperate from the 1.2.2b update pack.

Now that everyone knows how to immediately compensate for the lack of Ryan's update pack, we all hope that the forums will be clean of complaints, nagging, begging, or anything else annoying in relation to the delay of 1.3.0.

(Note: As of this very moment, 8:00pm Eastern Time, August 12, 2005 A.D., the MSFN Hotfix Page has not been updated to reflect the August patches.)

fodase

Post by fodase » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:12 pm

So ... Just to be sure.

Since Ryan only comes back in the 21st, is complety impossible to have the new pack realesed before that?

I have the same opinion as Hollywood. An estimated date of release would be something very good.
Since the estimated date of release was a few months back.

I dont mean to be rude. This is just my opinion.

PS: Sorry for my bad English