Where's the next version?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
RunBoris

Post by RunBoris » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:34 pm

Alrighty then, here is a very rough estimate I have put together in my own head. The way I understand it, Ryan is only waiting on the GUI before completing/compiling the entire package. Now, obviously Ryan will not be back before Aug. 21. We are all aware that the GUI is being completed by someone other than Ryan, and the Aug. add-on has been delegated to another forum member. Hopefully the GUI and the Aug. add-on pack will be finished by the time Ryan returns in approx. 9 days. After that, I expect it will take some time for Ryan to verify and test both the GUI and the aug. pack, and ensure 100% compatibility with all these different components (Core, GUI, WMP/Extras pack, Aug. Hotfix pack, etc). Even if everything goes perfectly during testing, it would still take at least an entire day to do all that. In the event that a bug is discovered, and extra day or two would be required. Also, even though Ryan will be returning on the 21st, we should not expect to have a fully functional Ryan until 1-2 days later (hangovers, exhaustion, insanity, all of the above). So, my personal estimate would be 14 days from now, or Friday the 26th.

This is only a guess. In fact, I would be interested in hearing other peoples' estimates. Maybe we could even make a fun game of it! At least then nobody can compain about there not being some sort of timeline. :P

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:47 pm

My estimate is 1/4/2006

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:15 am

RunBoris wrote:After downloading all the updates from that page for July and August, you can use nLite to integrate them (or manually if you know how). Obviously it would be easier to just wait for the 1.3.0 update pack, but for those who absolutely, positively, 100% must clean-install now, add the July & August hotfixes seperate from the 1.2.2b update pack.
What about the 150 something limit everyone has mentioned... not an issue using the method you outlined?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:17 am

oh, good, everybody wants the pack to be released.But have to wait of course,hey guys we are not paying for update pack,we are just using it, he got married, he had a hdd crash,and so on.Please do not make more complains.I am waiting for new relase just you do,I want to make an updated format as you want to, but nothing we can do except waiting.Just wish good luck him in his life, and make an add-on for 1.2.2b. Is there a volunteer for add-on? :P

Acheron

Post by Acheron » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:27 am

Remember when manually integrating newer fixes using the SVCpack method into a fresh cd you better use the QFE edition of the patches using the /B:RTMQFE, or else you remove a lot of the work Ryan put into this :rolleyes:

example svcpack.inf:

Code: Select all

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK"

[CatalogHeader]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
KB896727.exe /Q /N /Z /O /B:RTMQFE

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
KB896727.cat
BTW, Ryan has a wedding, I'm off for vacation next week and Microsoft forces lot's of updates through. I'm unable to keep up :rolleyes:

RunBoris

Post by RunBoris » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:32 am

Hollywood wrote:What about the 150 something limit everyone has mentioned... not an issue using the method you outlined?
As long as only the hotfixes are integrated you should not reach the CAT limit of 150. Remeber from earlier posts that Ryan has added extra stuff, right? That's why he decided to make a core update, and a seperate "extras" add-on pack. I'm certain the CAT limit is not an issue using the alternate method I mentioned.

ontelo

Post by ontelo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:53 am

I'm also waiting the new release of nlite (because it fixes the windows file protection bug) so no rush as long as the nlife beta 5 hasn't changed to 6 ;)

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:01 pm

The gui is done. Also RyanVM has allready uploaded all of the needed files to the server. Once everything is verified to have worked RyanVM is going to update the site. All of you ungrateful people can go and use it... and not ever know all of the work that went into it! :X

Thank you to all of the ones who were patient and did not throw hissy fits like others I see on the board. I am almost ashamed to have taken on the job of creating this gui for you. :( Maybe now that it is finished I can get some sleep.

BTW... Your welcome.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

av8tor

Post by av8tor » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:00 pm

Thanks RyanVM for all the hard work and CONGRATS

Thanks Siginet also for the hard work and GOOD NIGHT

:lol:

Majoram

Post by Majoram » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:37 am

Siginet wrote:The gui is done. Also RyanVM has allready uploaded all of the needed files to the server. Once everything is verified to have worked RyanVM is going to update the site. All of you ungrateful people can go and use it... and not ever know all of the work that went into it! :X

Thank you to all of the ones who were patient and did not throw hissy fits like others I see on the board. I am almost ashamed to have taken on the job of creating this gui for you. :( Maybe now that it is finished I can get some sleep.

BTW... Your welcome.
Thanks Siginet! Thanks RyanVM!
Just thought I would say that since I have been waiting for this release as well and I do appreciate the craploads of work it takes to do these things.

I hope Ryan enjoys his wedding and honeymoon instead of bothering with all this. I know I would never give up those first times that I spent as "husband and wife" for anything.

Thanks again to both of you and any others that contributed!

Majoram

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:54 am

I thank you, Siginet, for your hard work and sleepless nights. I'm sure that when this Pack is finally released it will be the best yet, due in no small part to your contributions to this project. Get some rest, you've definitely earned it. :)

fodase

Post by fodase » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:50 am

Thank you RyanVM and Thank you Siginet.

You guys are the best!

fabjr

Post by fabjr » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:22 pm

Siginet wrote:The gui is done. Also RyanVM has allready uploaded all of the needed files to the server. Once everything is verified to have worked RyanVM is going to update the site. All of you ungrateful people can go and use it... and not ever know all of the work that went into it! :X

BTW... Your welcome.
THANK You Siginet for taking all the HEAT .You came thru like a champ .We will "ALL" enjoy your GUI

fabjr
GOD BLESS AMERICA

fabjr

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:54 pm

Siginet wrote:Thank you to all of the ones who were patient and did not throw hissy fits like others I see on the board. I am almost ashamed to have taken on the job of creating this gui for you. :( Maybe now that it is finished I can get some sleep.
Thank you Siginet! And RyanVM of course.

Siginet, you must remember that for every 1 person throwing a hissy fit, there are at least 5 yelling back at them to shut up, and there are at least 5-10 more that don't say anything, but wish they had.

Your work is appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

Raider

Post by Raider » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:35 am

Hope nobody took my tired of waiting comment as a attack on the work being done. I am just fortunate to have been able to complete a CD myself with all of the updates because I knew how. I think if you can't do the thing yourself and your waiting on Ryan you should give him a break or go learn how to do this yourself.

Thank you to Ryan and Siginet both for their work and I will look forward to using the new pack when it becomes available.

P.S. I did not run into any problems with the cat limit when I took a complete 1.22b CD and added the July and August updates with nLite.

P.S.S. I build computers for a living so it is important to me to give my customers fully updated computers when I deliver them.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:37 am

Anyone ever notice how pissy people get when they want something from you and you dont have it at that exact moment, but then how they magicaly become your best friends as soon as you do.

Thanx for all the hard work Siginet and Ryan, hopefully like babies that cry until they get their bottles now things will calm down with all the hissy fits in the forums.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

buletov

Post by buletov » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:46 am

Yeah it will be silence...for a while...
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:33 am

Raider wrote:Hope nobody took my tired of waiting comment as a attack on the work being done. I am just fortunate to have been able to complete a CD myself with all of the updates because I knew how. I think if you can't do the thing yourself and your waiting on Ryan you should give him a break or go learn how to do this yourself.

Thank you to Ryan and Siginet both for their work and I will look forward to using the new pack when it becomes available.

P.S. I did not run into any problems with the cat limit when I took a complete 1.22b CD and added the July and August updates with nLite.

P.S.S. I build computers for a living so it is important to me to give my customers fully updated computers when I deliver them.
Does Ryan even allow free use of his pack for business purposes?

buletov

Post by buletov » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:42 am

Well I believe yes, but the one should really donate a few bucks every month...

ontelo

Post by ontelo » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:45 pm

Raider wrote:Does Ryan even allow free use of his pack for business purposes?
Allow, did you say allow? If I am not completely wrong Ryan can't have any power to say legal points because his pack is made mostly from microsoft thingies.

s0me0nesmind1

Post by s0me0nesmind1 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:18 pm

ontelo wrote:
Allow, did you say allow? If I am not completely wrong Ryan can't have any power to say legal points because his pack is made mostly from microsoft thingies.
Why should it even come to that? Why the hell cant you just appreciate his work and donate a few extra bucks when you have the chance?

fodase

Post by fodase » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:25 pm

This is great ... Now, the GUI is done, the Pack is done and still, we will have to wait until ~25th to get the release.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:40 pm

Just be patient, i know for a fact that both the gui and the pack and the 2 extra addons are worth the wait. Congrats RyanVM, Siginet and araknis on an awesome job well done.

buletov

Post by buletov » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:08 pm

Yeah... though I don't know how will msfn servers handle the rush on the 1.3.0 release... it will be a good test for them!

ontelo

Post by ontelo » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:11 pm

s0me0nesmind1 wrote:
ontelo wrote:
Why should it even come to that? Why the hell cant you just appreciate his work and donate a few extra bucks when you have the chance?
I didn't mean that. I appreciate and I am also very thankful, but the point was; even after the donations, Ryan still dosen't have legal authority to make claims where his pack can or cannot be installed because it includes 3rd party software.

watson81

Post by watson81 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:09 pm

ontelo wrote:
Just because Ryan's pack includes the work of others, doesn't mean that he doesn't have any say in how it is used or that there isn't significant added value. He is certainly within his legal right to say that some people can or annot use it. However, if he were to begin charging people for it, it would becomes a legal grey area unless Microsoft gives permission.

Alanoll

Post by Alanoll » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:37 pm

buletov wrote:Yeah... though I don't know how will msfn servers handle the rush on the 1.3.0 release... it will be a good test for them!
You haven't seen all the past tests on the system have you? :P
Even at this moment, i think either the Unattended site or XPize's site use more bandwidth then RyanVM's. THe Forum uses the most CPU cycles and memory.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:12 pm

Well all i can say for those of you waiting for the 1.3 its well worth the wait, you wont be let down.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:33 pm

This thread has thoroughly degenerated beyond hope. Wish I could lock it.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:12 am

I hate that I cannot just give everyone the cab files now. :( Even I am in anticipation to have this project released. I am sorry for sounding so blunt back there... It was just bad timing for me to read some of the previous post. ;) I am glad to read that most of you appreciate what goes on behind the scenes... and I can't wait untill the next version of The integrator is released (Since there won't be much of a rush on it... we will be able to make it how it should be.)

There were times I almost gave up making the integrator... due to running into weird errors I almost thought would never get fixed. But as far as I've see... so far the RyanVM Integrator seems to be working like a charm and that is what matters. ;)

I'm sorry I couldn't get it finished a couple of days earlier... but at least you all know that it will be released when RyanVM gets back from one of the most rememberable times of his life. ;) I must say a huge thank you to those of you who did beta test ... If it wasn't for you it would not have been finished as soon as it was.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:15 am

Siginet first off your a genious, and second it does work like a charm.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:59 am

dgelwin wrote:Siginet first off your a genious, and second it does work like a charm.
:P :D 8)

sdageforde

Post by sdageforde » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:55 am

I know that when the final product is released that it will be appreciated. At least by the people that I have turned on to this package and myself, and I have yet to see one of them complain about release dates.

But for those that just seem to flame about "Where is it?" Do the rest of us a favor, THINK before you post. This project has walked into areas that the developers at MS try to keep themselves out of. And all of the people involved didn't have the luxury of talking to the developers that put in the limitations to begin with. So please, when engaging in any correspondence in the future, THINK before you write. It might surprise you how much more respect is given to constructive replies.

For those that might not remember, even Bill Gates didn't think that computers would need more that 64K of memory, so things change continuously. With change comes obstacles, and those take time to overcome.

Ryan & Mrs.: Have a great time. You don’t want to forget that these are supposed to be the best times of your life.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:35 am

sdageforde wrote:I know that when the final product is released that it will be appreciated. At least by the people that I have turned on to this package and myself, and I have yet to see one of them complain about release dates.

But for those that just seem to flame about "Where is it?" Do the rest of us a favor, THINK before you post. This project has walked into areas that the developers at MS try to keep themselves out of. And all of the people involved didn't have the luxury of talking to the developers that put in the limitations to begin with. So please, when engaging in any correspondence in the future, THINK before you write. It might surprise you how much more respect is given to constructive replies.

For those that might not remember, even Bill Gates didn't think that computers would need more that 64K of memory, so things change continuously. With change comes obstacles, and those take time to overcome.
Sorry for lack of english but what do you mean?

fodase

Post by fodase » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:45 pm

guys ... just use Astalavista pack.

it can be slipstreamed or installed after xp installation

way better than RyanVM ... (and we dont have to wait 3 months)

visit his site:

http://www.philshopper.com/msfn/

buletov

Post by buletov » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:02 pm

fodase wrote:way better than RyanVM ...
like...NOT

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:20 pm

I don't know about "better" but thanks for the link.

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:42 pm

fodase wrote:guys ... just use Astalavista pack.

it can be slipstreamed or installed after xp installation

way better than RyanVM ... (and we dont have to wait 3 months)

visit his site:

http://www.philshopper.com/msfn/
This pack only has about 35 updates?

Not nearly as many as ryan's pack, which has 150+.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:47 pm

Yea,thanks for the link but its not like Ryan's.I prefer to wait, or just use Auto-patcher

Araknis

Post by Araknis » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:54 pm

Astalavista's pack has less updates then RyanVM's because it is only the Critical Windows XP updates from
MSFN's Topic HOTFIXES: Win2000 SP4 – WinXP SP1 – WinXP SP2

It uses a batch file for both post-installation of windows (like what Autopatcher is for)
Also it has another batch file for Slipstreaming them(it uses the /integrate switch)

RyanVM does not use the /integrate switch he does a manual replacement.
Also, RyanVM has more updates because he uses BETA updates (those you must request from Microsoft)
and he does not include just Critical Updates.

Astalavista's pack is great for those who do not want to downoad all the updates in the list at MSFN.
It is also great for those who do not want/need the BETA updates that RyanVM provides, or those
who are afraid/don't understand the way RyanVM integrates his hotfixes.

fodase

Post by fodase » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:31 pm

Arent Critical Updates enough?!

fodase

Post by fodase » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:35 pm

Can someone tell me if the Critical Updates are, or not, enought to have a secure Windows XP!?

Please!!

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:46 pm

fodase wrote:Can someone tell me if the Critical Updates are, or not, enought to have a secure Windows XP!?

Please!!
Secure? yes

As far as I know most of the non-critical updates fix little annoying issues and errors in windows, but don't really address the security of your operating system.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:19 pm

Critical updates and internet explorer updates and anything to do with .net framework updates. i think that would make a nicely working windows xp :D

fodase

Post by fodase » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:20 pm

Thats exactly what I thought. Anyone else has this opinion?

About the non-critical updates, I dont think ill ever need them. Problably the things they are made to fix are already gone from my OS. Since I have a 130MB installation. With allot of stuff removed with nLite.

So... Critical Updates only for a Secure XP is the way to go?

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:25 pm

Sad fact is if you use ryans pack and then follow gosh guide for reducing the size of your install most nonecritical updates arent needed. there extras, but then again, sometimes those extras save your life, i think this was the reason that ryan use to make 3 different packs, for those with different needs.

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:39 pm

I like to have all the updates possible, even the non-critical ones.

Because you apply ryan's pack before you nlite (or at least you should). So once you finish removing stuff you will have removed all the updates that you don't need.

And when you are done you have the latest system files for everything that's left. 8)

And it's not like the updates take up extra space anyway, in fact in many case the newer files area bit smaller than the old ones. So even if you remove a whole bunch I still think ryan's pack is a good idea. Just don't integrate the "extras" addon if you don't want that sysinternals stuff. :)

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:15 am

Sorry daale5605 but thats not what im refferring to, of course new files are smaller (sometimes), and of course you can use n-lite to remove them, and of course you dont have to install the extras.
now that beeeing said let me fill you in on a lil bit of sad news.

The issue here isnt weather you can remove the updates or not, its the damn cat limit and...

1.- you can remove all the things you want using n-lite but that still doesnt remove any cat files, these cat files are there for a reason(protecting your beatifull OS) so the cab files are still there, they still cause trouble.

2.- sysinternal and as far as I know none of the extra software ryan adds to his packs use any cat files, so why not include them, there fun nice and since they use no cat files they aren't the cause of the trouble.

if im wrong someone please correct me because lord knows i dont know everything, and im always open to corrections, unless it's some fool saying that the white ranger wasn't the coolest power ranger and if you say the coolest was the red ranger I swear to God I will hunt you down and kick your ass.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:45 am

Not to stray off-topic too much (I can only imagine Ryan's forthcoming Batcomment :D), it would be nice if nLite would dynamically remove CATs when all the files they protect are removed. That would seem to be the best course of action for anyone who uses nLite with the UpdatePacks until this whole CAT problem is resolved.

@Ryan: I was wondering if you already do something like this when you add updates; removing a CAT file when all the files associated with it are replaced by one or more other updates. QFECheck shouldn't have a problem with this since it should use the newer CAT(s) to verify the newer files anyway. Creating a master file list to track this would be a real pain to maintain.

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:50 am

While were chewing the fat over packs and stuff, has any of you nlite users ever done a file compare of dosnet, other txt files and the hiv files before and after nlite?

Appart from the changes nlite makes to those files to acomplish the things you have asked it to do it seems to also change the first few charaters of alot of other lines, removing what looks like % from the beggining of some lines.

I dont know if that is done for a reason or not or infact if its a bad thing, just thought i would throw the question out to some of you experts while we await the new pack.

Paul